Notices

Portland to ECHL for the 2018-19 season

Old
Yesterday, 10:15 AM
Nightsquad

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat48 View Post
The Maine Mariners name and trademark is owned by Michael Liberty - he was a minor owner of the Mariners.

The Pirates name is owned by Brad Church.... When the team was sold to the Springfield group, Church was able to secure the name when he attempted to get an ECHL team last season.

The plan moving forward is to have a brand new identity because they want to start fresh in the community. The Pirates has a lot of bad mojo associated with it because of how the franchise was run over the last couple years and how it left town. Also, Brian Petrovek really did a lot to give the Pirates a bad reputation in the community so they want to just start fresh.

The Mariners name could be interesting but I doubt its likely they will use it.

Potential names:

Portland Wharf Rats
Portland Sea Bees
Portland Destroyers
Portland Norsemen
Maine Coon Cats
Portland Skeeters
Portland/Maine Shipbuilders
Portland Bay Cats
Portland Lumberjacks
Portland Anchormen
Portland Beacons
I don't like the Warf Rats name, too much a play on the old Albany River Rats. I cannot imagine rats on a Warf being pleasant lol. With the case of the Albany team it played homage to the people of the communities along the Hudson and Mohawk rivers of Albany, Troy, Schenectady, Cohoes, Watervliet, and points south of Albany towards NYC. People who lived in these towns along the local rivers were jokingly referred to as River Town Rats....

Nightsquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 01:40 PM
RowdyFan42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsquad View Post
I don't like the Warf Rats name, too much a play on the old Albany River Rats. I cannot imagine rats on a Warf being pleasant lol. With the case of the Albany team it played homage to the people of the communities along the Hudson and Mohawk rivers of Albany, Troy, Schenectady, Cohoes, Watervliet, and points south of Albany towards NYC. People who lived in these towns along the local rivers were jokingly referred to as River Town Rats....
And that's exactly why I *do* like it.

Here's my new dream: AHL Hartford moves to Albany for the 2018-19 season, brings back the River Rats brand, and signs the Portland Wharf Rats as their ECHL affiliate.

RowdyFan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 02:49 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyFan42 View Post

Here's my new dream: AHL Hartford moves to Albany for the 2018-19 season, brings back the River Rats brand, and signs the Portland Wharf Rats as their ECHL affiliate.
uh, Greenville might have a bit to say about that, personally, why not keep Aces, it's not like Vegas had to be told that you cannot have gaming references, and if Foley's connection to the Parachute corp at West Point hasn't really gotten traction, too....

truly, will Spectra OR MSG GIVE UP TOTAL control over Hartford? NOT THAT THE TUC is a Spectra managed property.

but of the names floated:

Lumberjacks sounds more like a tip toward the Red Claws, and U-Maine because of the CBA past, not a hockey reference....

Florida looks promising to me as an affiliate because truly, they never got a full chance to fulfill or put their stamp on Portland as the other teams did... Philadelphia, obviously, by bringing hockey here, and now reintroducing it here, what exactly did New Jersey and Boston accomplish once both came in.... the only connection the Devils had was Gil Stein, who had been associated with the Flyers, when they bought the AHL Franchise, and really, I truly believe that the Flyers and Bruins were rivals even then vis a vis the market, and that really soured the fanbase here the way they operated and how it ended.

then came 5/17/91, AND THE DEAL THAT Garbage mentioned up in the B's forum a while ago, if not in this forum, and how that transpired to give Providence their franchise.

fast-forward to the Pirates era, what did we truly learn between 1993 and 2015, that had also existed but not reported on as heavily off-ice, as wildcat mentioned in an earlier post over Petrovek etc. and why the Pirates name isn't thought of a possibility notwithstanding, and then the repeat of 5/17/91, by Cain, to sell to Springfield, that brings us to present day and how do we avoid a 3rd departure of pro hockey? If we said never again in 1991, would we take a franchise for granted, and it happened again, what makes this any different than the 1st 2 times... that'll be the main question moving forward and that'll be constantly brought up to both Spectra/Holmgren/Briere, if that already hasn't been, this fanbase will not stand for failure and/or transparency/lip service.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 03:52 PM

never mind...

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 03:59 PM
Nightsquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyFan42 View Post

If the franchise does land in Albany I would love to see the River Rats hockey identity back into the fold. That would be up to MSG and former Rats owner Walter Robb whom I understand was more then willing to put the name and logo for a team in Albany. I think it was a shame the Devils organization teased the fans in Albany last season with two River Rat throwback nights while vaguely suggesting they are open to changing the name and logo of the team to the River Rats, all the while were planning to exfil from Albany. I feel that was bad P.R. on the Devils part but at the end of the day they didn't care, no local connection. Even if an Albany team was the Albany Rangers it would still be well liked. I do believe however even an ECHL team in Albany named the River Rats (maybe with former bench boss Robbie Ftorek now ECHL Admirals coach) would have more appeal then the Albany Devils did.

Nightsquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 05:55 PM
BruinsFan37

There needs to be a Portland OR team now, so there can be an all-Portland final lol

BruinsFan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 08:31 PM
GarbageGoal
Clint Bobski GOAT

Portland Seagulls.

That's all I ever hear when I park on the roof of the CCCC's parking lot.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 08:50 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarbageGoal View Post
Portland Seagulls.

That's all I ever hear when I park on the roof of the CCCC's parking lot.
yea, it'll be interesting to see what Spectra gets and how they manage this

but hey, if Nordiques can return here to L/A, anything's possible.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote