HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Who from the 2017 draft makes the team this year?

Old
07-16-2017, 03:43 PM
evnted

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baemon Severson View Post
Patrick missed most of a year of development and part of summer prep but he's the one who will be ready lol
yes. both his game and his archetype lend themselves to being more NHL ready than Hischier (not to mention he's on a better team). i don't have him winning the Calder, but i do have him being nominated over Hischier. and before you say anything, i've been team Nico since May lol

evnted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 04:18 PM
Reseob ot Etteduag

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
Patrick and Hischier will plus there's always one or two surprises. Does Pettersson have a contract in Europe? I think any signed Euro needed a transfer agreement and signed to their ELC by July 15? But I don't know all the specific loopholes to this but it's why many Euros signed by then.
Not a chance Pettersson gets a sniff of the nhl this year

Really should Patrick and Hishier really be playing nhl this year? Probably would want more development out of BOTH of them before nhl time. And its not like the devils and flyers really NEED them to make a diffy this coming year esp jersey

Reseob ot Etteduag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 04:46 PM
Jesus Take the Wheel

vCash: 177
If Yama finds chemistry with McDavid, I can see him having a 20ish game stint before the NHL wears on him and we send him back to the WHL

Jesus Take the Wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 05:06 PM
Raccoon Jesus
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by edguy View Post

VERY Outside chance but still plausible:

LAK: Vilardi
I could see Vilardi being tried out at wing or 3C for his 9 games. I just worry that if he stays his development (especially skating improvements) will be wrecked.

"What the ****, guys? It was a metaphor." --Dean Lombardi, 2015.
Raccoon Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 09:33 PM
Elias Pettersson
165lbs

vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
I think Patrick takes the Calder. He's the most NHL ready IMO, which is the safest bet every year to win.
he wins the calder over Keller?

Elias Pettersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 10:12 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
I think Patrick takes the Calder. He's the most NHL ready IMO, which is the safest bet every year to win.
Unlikely. Patrick is going to a better team. He won't start getting top 6 icetime (may start on a 4th line) and he won't get 1st PP time at all without significant injuries.

Ice time, especially PP time are key to trying to win a Calder.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2017, 11:52 PM
RipCityPuckers

Patrick isn't even the Calder favourite on his own team let alone the entire NHL lol

RipCityPuckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 03:53 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DominicBoltsFan View Post
You don't think Hischier can play 3c for the Devils?
Do you really want a kid who barely weighs 175 to be on the ice against men? Hischier has an amazing skillset, but he needs more muscle on his frame to help avoid injury. You don't want him to start piling up nagging injuries as a teenager.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 04:07 AM
Baemon Severson
N1CO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
Do you really want a kid who barely weighs 175 to be on the ice against men? Hischier has an amazing skillset, but he needs more muscle on his frame to help avoid injury. You don't want him to start piling up nagging injuries as a teenager.
How is 179 barely 175?

Baemon Severson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 10:58 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipCityPuckers View Post
Patrick isn't even the Calder favourite on his own team let alone the entire NHL lol
I actually agree with this.

Lindblom will likely have Giroux as his C and seems perfect to slot into the #1 PP spot that Schenn occupied. He being a good shooter and a LH shot fits perfectly.

Whereas Patrick shoots right so he will likely be in the 2nd unit which has sucked the past few years. He also will get #3 C miinutes.

Whoever wins the Calder gets top 6 minutes and #1 PP time. That won't be Patrick.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 11:19 AM
Salmonsnake

Heiskanen.

Salmonsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 11:19 AM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhamnov5GoalGame View Post
Most players shouldn't.
Even the top guys may benefit in the long run from another year of development.

There was no doubt that Vesalainen (Jets) was going back to play in Europe. I heard many other first round picks in their interviews state they felt they needed another year.

This is a good thing.
The list of players rushed into the NHL at their own detriment is pretty long. Plus it prevents their ELC from kicking in. Win - win
This.. Plus, the NHL is likely wanting to expand to a 32nd NHL team in the next few years. Who knows how quickly Seattle decides which arena option to take, the remodel of the Key or the SoDo one by Hansen.

So, you don't want to be burning a year off a player than would otherwise be exempt.

Nico - can he last the entire season? I think he'll start the season with NJ. But, it's a coin flip whether he stays the whole season.

Patrick sticks the whole season due to his late birthday and size.

Anyone else from the 1st round really should not be in the NHL. I hope for Glass that he returns to the Winterhawks for the betterment of his future. He's not ready.

Look to Scheifle as a player who was handled properly during his teenage years. Top 10 pick, got a cup of coffee both teenage years in Winnipeg, but ultimately was sent back down to junior. Now, he's a top level 1C. No need to rush and damage the future of a young cornerstone player.

If there is an overage player like an Aho, then those guys could make an NHL roster.

I'm sure others will get their 9 game look, but if we're looking at players who will be on the roster come US Thanksgiving, I would say Patrick is the only lock. Nico, depends if he's ready for an 82 regular season NHL grind. It might be in NJ's best interests, if they keep him on their club, to limit the number of back to back games he plays him. Not a huge hit to miss a few of those games and only play 77 or so games just to keep him playing well in the final quarter of the season.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 11:22 AM
Mugzy97
Mitchton Reillander

I think the correct move with Hischier would be to put him back in Halifax (let him have his 9 NHL games)

But I think he plays all year with the Devils.

Mugzy97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 11:22 AM
Roughly6Owls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaddy View Post
Valimaki might have an outside shot.
I could see Valimaki getting 9 games, but Calgary probably prefers he plays top pair minutes in the WHL than third pair minutes behind two 25 minute a night pairs in the NHL.

That being said, Valimaki is apparently AHL eligible, so if he shows that he's past the CHL, it's possible he sticks to a pro league anyway.

Roughly6Owls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 01:25 PM
my name is Bob

No one gets more than 9 games.

my name is Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 02:38 PM
93LEAFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by my name is Bob View Post
No one gets more than 9 games.
Someone will. I can't think of the last draft class (outside of 2004 for Lockout reasons) that didn't have a single NHLer in their D+1. Even a weak draft like 2012 had Yakupov and Galchenyuk, 2011 had RNH, Landeskog, Larsson and Couturier, and 2007 had Kane and Gagner. Even 1995 had Kilger and Aki Berg up and 1996 somehow 15th overall pick Danius Zuburus made it.

Someone will make it, whether it ends up working out well or was a stupid gamble remains to be seen. Patrick should be ready, although the lack of the ability to train this off-season after an injury plagued draft season is not going to be great for showing up to training camp. Hischier is on the slight side but the Devil's can probably fit him in, in a positive or protected role. Andersson would be 3rd most likely in my mind due to skill set and pro-experience.

The two guys who are talented, but it would be insane to have them up this year are Heiskanen and Glass. Just look at the track record of guys who spent their 18-year-old season in the NHL as defender's, it is horrifying. We are working with small sample sizes, but for whatever reason since 1990, D+1 who are 19 have a better track record. We've yet to see how Hanifin, Chychrun and Ekblad turn out, but there have been a bunch of busts/disappointments along the way (Trevordovsky, Bogosian, Aki Berg and Sbisa), even the successes had trouble living up to their offensive potential (which I think is a product of being rushed) in Hamrlik and Kyle McLaren. For whatever reasons, the same has not held true for late birthdays in their draft +1 in Pronger, Seth Jones, Doughty, Fowler, and Hedman, although, I don't think Heiskanen is a prospect of that magnitude (outside of Fowler) or as physically mature as them. Glass, I would keep the hell away from Vegas, the track record of D+1 players on first-year expansion teams is horrifying. The best players have been Hamrlik and Gaborik, while most failed to live up to their potential like Rob Niedermayer, Pat Falloon, and Stefan. Most of the franchises who had success with their first ever pick left those guys away from the tire fire of a first-year expansion team like Ottawa (Yashin), Ducks (Kariya), and Nashville (Legward). Obviously, there are some guys who were held back on who didn't hit such as Klesla. Glass is not physically mature and is not an uber elite prospect that could potentially pull it off playing for an expansion team (such as McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Tavares, etc).

As for Vilardi, he might be able to do it if he really improves his skating in the off-season, but realistically if LA wants him to develop at a center he needs to go back to Windsor. Tippett could probably play in the NHL like Evander Kane did at the same age, although, I'm not sure it is a good idea and I'm not really a fan of his game.

93LEAFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 03:04 PM
my name is Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93LEAFS View Post
Someone will. I can't think of the last draft class (outside of 2004 for Lockout reasons) that didn't have a single NHLer in their D+1. Even a weak draft like 2012 had Yakupov and Galchenyuk, 2011 had RNH, Landeskog, Larsson and Couturier, and 2007 had Kane and Gagner. Even 1995 had Kilger and Aki Berg up and 1996 somehow 15th overall pick Danius Zuburus made it.

Someone will make it, whether it ends up working out well or was a stupid gamble remains to be seen. Patrick should be ready, although the lack of the ability to train this off-season after an injury plagued draft season is not going to be great for showing up to training camp. Hischier is on the slight side but the Devil's can probably fit him in, in a positive or protected role. Andersson would be 3rd most likely in my mind due to skill set and pro-experience.

The two guys who are talented, but it would be insane to have them up this year are Heiskanen and Glass. Just look at the track record of guys who spent their 18-year-old season in the NHL as defender's, it is horrifying. We are working with small sample sizes, but for whatever reason since 1990, D+1 who are 19 have a better track record. We've yet to see how Hanifin, Chychrun and Ekblad turn out, but there have been a bunch of busts/disappointments along the way (Trevordovsky, Bogosian, Aki Berg and Sbisa), even the successes had trouble living up to their offensive potential (which I think is a product of being rushed) in Hamrlik and Kyle McLaren. For whatever reasons, the same has not held true for late birthdays in their draft +1 in Pronger, Seth Jones, Doughty, Fowler, and Hedman, although, I don't think Heiskanen is a prospect of that magnitude (outside of Fowler) or as physically mature as them. Glass, I would keep the hell away from Vegas, the track record of D+1 players on first-year expansion teams is horrifying. The best players have been Hamrlik and Gaborik, while most failed to live up to their potential like Rob Niedermayer, Pat Falloon, and Stefan. Most of the franchises who had success with their first ever pick left those guys away from the tire fire of a first-year expansion team like Ottawa (Yashin), Ducks (Kariya), and Nashville (Legward). Obviously, there are some guys who were held back on who didn't hit such as Klesla. Glass is not physically mature and is not an uber elite prospect that could potentially pull it off playing for an expansion team (such as McDavid, Eichel, Matthews, Tavares, etc).

As for Vilardi, he might be able to do it if he really improves his skating in the off-season, but realistically if LA wants him to develop at a center he needs to go back to Windsor. Tippett could probably play in the NHL like Evander Kane did at the same age, although, I'm not sure it is a good idea and I'm not really a fan of his game.
Thanks for mentioning all those players! You know your history much better than me.

The biggest thing that stands out is the damage that's caused by rushing prospects.

From the bolded in the first paragraph, the majority have been disappointments to at least some degree.

Rushing your prospects is one of the riskiest things you can do to your franchise it seems.

my name is Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 03:50 PM
RebelBully

Patrick, Hischier, and then there will be 1 more wild card that no one expected. Seems to happen often.

RebelBully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 04:13 PM
OilTastic
Embrace The Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
Hischier and Patrick are pretty good bets.

My money is on Heiskanen making the Stars out of camp.
^a few media guys seem to think the same with Heiskanen....that he's already a good 2 way defenseman and could indeed be ready.

OilTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 05:32 PM
The Taxman
Deep Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
He last weighed in at 179 lbs. I have no doubt he can tack on some weight before the season starts from now until then.

Also, here are just a few players who are smaller than him and that are similar weight or weigh less than him. Patrick Kane, Johnny Gadreau, Conor Sheary, Mitch Marner, Sebastian Aho (CAR), Paul Byron, Andrew Shaw, Artemi Panarin, Teuvo Teravainen, Mats Zuccarello, Travis Konecny, Tyler Ennis, Jared Spurgeon.

The Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 05:43 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 107
I think Patrick, Hischier and Glass will play.

07-17-2017, 05:44 PM
NHL Dude 120

vCash: 135
maybe its best if none of them make it.

NHL Dude 120 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2017, 05:48 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugzy97 View Post
I think the correct move with Hischier would be to put him back in Halifax (let him have his 9 NHL games)

But I think he plays all year with the Devils.
From a pure selfish reason, I would love to see Nico back in Halifax to play along with with Zadina, McIsaac, and Groulx. Nico could help those guys even more going into their draft year. All could have great years.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 07:12 AM
SchwenningerWildWing

Repo, he is 21, maybe he gets time with Florida

SchwenningerWildWing is offline   Reply With Quote