HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

Eastside Hockey Manager - Part VI

Old
05-23-2017, 02:56 PM
Lebowski
El Duderino

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
Thanks, that helps. What do you mean by good wristshots/slapshots/passing? Do they have to all be in the green as a minimum?

Also, does flair and or creativity make a big difference? What about teamwork and work rate? I don't usually take a guy with less than 10 for either of those.

Another thing I usually do is see what my scouts say about the guy's hockey sense. If it is less that C, I won't touch him, I usually won't go below B-. Do you use that at all?

Sorry, for all the questions. It's just nice to be able to pick someone else's brain on this.
As far as offensive stats. I try to look for the ones that have them in the green, yes. Past the third round, I usually sort players by attributes and base most of my picks that way. I've had a lot of forwards pan out that way. There's no minimum, however. I look at the top few prospects when ranked based on wristshot, for example, and take the one with the best all around stats or the best potential rating.

Defensemen are harder to project. In their case, I mostly rely on my scouts since you'll often have D prospects with very high stats that'll never develop any further.

Goalies are a complete crapshoot. Only draft the ones that get recommended by several scouts.

Flair and creativity, I don't find they have a substantial impact on performance. It's not a big concern for me unless it's a tie breaker between two prospects I find similar. I drafted the #1 ranked player on the list at 5th overall not too long ago. His flair was at 2. Eight years later, his flair is still at 2, but he's rated the best center in the league and just had a 112 points season for me.

I don't really pay attention to the report cards, but maybe they have an impact I'm not aware of. I like to look at the scouting reports history, however. Sometimes you'll see a prospect rated 3 stars, but when you look at the scouting history, he could have gone from being a "decent" prospect earlier in the season to an "excellent" prospect on the tail-end of the season. These changes in the reports don't always show on the initial report card.

Overall, I draft mostly on instinct. I really do think the key is to have a lot of picks. Even 5 star prospects bust regularly, so it comes down to volume in most cases.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 03:21 PM
Snowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebowski View Post
As far as offensive stats. I try to look for the ones that have them in the green, yes. Past the third round, I usually sort players by attributes and base most of my picks that way. I've had a lot of forwards pan out that way. There's no minimum, however. I look at the top few prospects when ranked based on wristshot, for example, and take the one with the best all around stats or the best potential rating.

Defensemen are harder to project. In their case, I mostly rely on my scouts since you'll often have D prospects with very high stats that'll never develop any further.

Goalies are a complete crapshoot. Only draft the ones that get recommended by several scouts.

Flair and creativity, I don't find they have a substantial impact on performance. It's not a big concern for me unless it's a tie breaker between two prospects I find similar. I drafted the #1 ranked player on the list at 5th overall not too long ago. His flair was at 2. Eight years later, his flair is still at 2, but he's rated the best center in the league and just had a 112 points season for me.

I don't really pay attention to the report cards, but maybe they have an impact I'm not aware of. I like to look at the scouting reports history, however. Sometimes you'll see a prospect rated 3 stars, but when you look at the scouting history, he could have gone from being a "decent" prospect earlier in the season to an "excellent" prospect on the tail-end of the season. These changes in the reports don't always show on the initial report card.

Overall, I draft mostly on instinct. I really do think the key is to have a lot of picks. Even 5 star prospects bust regularly, so it comes down to volume in most cases.
When you say "best potential rating" do you mean the star rating on their scout report or something else?

Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 03:22 PM
Lebowski
El Duderino

Quote:
When you say "best potential rating" do you mean the star rating on their scout report or something else?
Yeah, the star rating.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2017, 04:34 PM
Named
Rookie User

If someone is interested upcoming new leagues in our TBL release I can confirm another 2 new leagues activated: Ligue Nord-Américaine de Hockey (LNAH) and Czech Second League (CZE3). Some screens.

Named is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 01:25 AM
Patrik Barkov

Will you be adding more finnish youth players soon? I feel like there aren't many -00 or -01 born real finnish players.

Patrik Barkov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 01:56 AM
Named
Rookie User

I think we have problem with Finnish research yet. For Finnish league now I can confirm that I fixed Suomi-Sarja relegation stage as it is IRL. I also activated Finnish II Divisioona & Finnish U20 SM-Liiga but we need Riz help to fix some bugs to get both them released.

Patrik Barkov: Are You interested to help with young Finnish players? Skype?

Named is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 02:31 AM
alko

Quote:
Thanks, that helps. What do you mean by good wristshots/slapshots/passing? Do they have to all be in the green as a minimum?

Also, does flair and or creativity make a big difference? What about teamwork and work rate? I don't usually take a guy with less than 10 for either of those.

Another thing I usually do is see what my scouts say about the guy's hockey sense. If it is less that C, I won't touch him, I usually won't go below B-. Do you use that at all?

Sorry, for all the questions. It's just nice to be able to pick someone else's brain on this.
My drafting strategy is very simple.
I look for offensive guys - Only wristshot, passing and slapshot. The decisive skill is work rate. I use it also for defense.
This game is now in the state, that you can have D with very good defensive skills, but their performance is bellow average. And you can have a D with poor defensive skills, but with good or even average offensive skills (slap shot...) and their performance is above average (above 7.0 rating).

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 08:01 AM
Patrik Barkov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Named View Post
I think we have problem with Finnish research yet. For Finnish league now I can confirm that I fixed Suomi-Sarja relegation stage as it is IRL. I also activated Finnish II Divisioona & Finnish U20 SM-Liiga but we need Riz help to fix some bugs to get both them released.

Patrik Barkov: Are You interested to help with young Finnish players? Skype?
I DMd you.

Patrik Barkov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 11:46 AM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by grewalZ40 View Post
I've been having trouble getting selected as a gm for a national team for a while, I've done some tests with the saved file editor. I maxed out all the stats on my gm profile and still was not selected. On other saved files I won 5 consecutive cups and was not selected once again. I'm not sure if its a bug or if the game only allows gms that aren't already gms of an nhl team to be selected for national teams. What I do is add a gm to the game and select a national team before hand.
Not a bug as far as I can tell; just really hard to get in there. I finally (in the tenth season of my current sim) was selected to run the WJC team for Canada. What I found in previous sims is that you have a better chance of being selected to GM a national team if your experience is higher when you are creating your GM. I normally go for "default" or whatever it is, but once or twice I did try choosing ex-pro, or ex-NHLer, and found some aspects of the game were substantially easier.

SmellOfVictory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2017, 07:33 PM
Treb

vCash: 1155
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Not a bug as far as I can tell; just really hard to get in there. I finally (in the tenth season of my current sim) was selected to run the WJC team for Canada. What I found in previous sims is that you have a better chance of being selected to GM a national team if your experience is higher when you are creating your GM. I normally go for "default" or whatever it is, but once or twice I did try choosing ex-pro, or ex-NHLer, and found some aspects of the game were substantially easier.
Kinda like real life.

Treb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2017, 06:09 AM
hoyster

First time I had a OT5. That's a heartbreaking loss

hoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2017, 07:26 AM
Smirnov2Chistov
donaldtrump4prez

Quote:
Would you mind posting what you look for when drafting? Key attributes, etc. I'm trying to get more consistent in drafting, but I'm not sure what attributes to look for.
besides the first two rounds, which generally have many yellow and green attributes, look for some prospects with high mental and determination attributes.

I usually always flip players for 3rd and 4th round picks so I use the later rounds to get players with high deking ability or shooting abilities.

Smirnov2Chistov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2017, 01:14 PM
Braeden

There's way too many leagues. Just get the rookie issue fixed and I'll be happy. I know Johnny Gaudreau looks 12 but he shouldn't be in the Calder race..

Braeden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2017, 05:43 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braeden View Post
There's way too many leagues. Just get the rookie issue fixed and I'll be happy. I know Johnny Gaudreau looks 12 but he shouldn't be in the Calder race..
Are these rookies correct?

05-27-2017, 09:18 AM
TruePowerSlave

I always wondered why no sport game has ever combined a sim and a "playable" sport game. Put this as NHL 18's franchise mode with the possibility to play the games. There would be nothing in the market that would come close to rivaling it.

EHM is a pretty good game. There are a bunch of areas that you would hope would be improved or added but my main issue with this is that it is not difficult enough against the AI. I can take any team in the league and turn them into the best team during my fist season. It really takes a lot of the fun out of it since I prefer any game to be ruthless in their difficulty. Its more of an issue in the gaming industry in general as nearly every game worth playing is designed so that the noobs can play them as well and have instant success.

TruePowerSlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2017, 02:10 PM
ShatteredGlass
∞ Posts Deleted :)

1 thing I've noticed...not sure if it's a bug or not, but in every draft class now, nearly every Right Wing and Right Defense prospect seems to have a left-handed shot. I'm using the latest roster database and I'm in the 2018-2019 season. I'm lucky if I see 5 players in an entire draft class who are actually right handed. Almost all my prospects are left-handed shots and this kinda bugs me.

ShatteredGlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 07:48 AM
SimbaThePanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by alko View Post
My drafting strategy is very simple.
I look for offensive guys - Only wristshot, passing and slapshot. The decisive skill is work rate. I use it also for defense.
This game is now in the state, that you can have D with very good defensive skills, but their performance is bellow average. And you can have a D with poor defensive skills, but with good or even average offensive skills (slap shot...) and their performance is above average (above 7.0 rating).
That's true, but I find you should never look at their avg rating when they are defensive minded players. They will always have low ratings even though they play great and allow very few goals. I've had some great defensive defensemen playing in my teams with great +/- stats but something like 6.5 or even lower ratings. They don't put up a lot of points, but they still have a good "plus" stat and play 15 or so min/game. This game is all about offense...at least on the surface so to speak.

One thing that still bugs me about this game is that almost every team in the NHL has above 20% PP and below 80% PK...coupled with games I'm playing in having too many PP opportunities still (AI overly agressive)...it does bring the game down a bit. Before, during the early access period, I found the PP to be hard to get going, now it's too easy and IF you manage to have a OP PK, your team will be virtually unstoppable.

SimbaThePanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 08:41 AM
Sanderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruePowerSlave View Post
I always wondered why no sport game has ever combined a sim and a "playable" sport game. Put this as NHL 18's franchise mode with the possibility to play the games. There would be nothing in the market that would come close to rivaling it.
Some games have done that, there is a German football manager from the last decade that allowed just that, though I don't think there are any hockey games of that kind.

It's not that much fun though, because it is hard to get the balance right. It's very easy to make the managing-part completely irrelevant due to the difficulty-levels. If you have one level where you beat any opponent regardless of how weak your team is, while the next one is so strong that you have trouble even with a great team, there isn't a whole lot of fun left.

It's very unlikely for such a game to balance this in a way that both parts of the game are actually fun.

Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 02:07 PM
Braeden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
Are these rookies correct?

As far as I know. Your work and many others work is greatly appreciated!

Braeden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 04:57 PM
Alessandro Seren Rosso

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Ok so the 9.4b version will be released later this week.

Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 07:56 PM
hansomreiste

Hey everyone,

Was not sure where to ask about this and thought this was the best place. My question is TOO BASIC for the discussion here and perhaps even funny. Though as the famous Turkish saying goes, there is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out. So, here I go.

I have been into hockey for some years and generally speaking, I'm OK with basic tactics. Moreover, I've played Football Manager for like seven or eight years before it started sucking. So, I'm familiar with this managerial stuff as well.

However, I can't play EHM properly, because I simply don't even know what to do. I pick my lines, select who does what and how I play and then... Nothing. If I simulate games, then I don't understand what happened - therefore, I don't know what changes are required. If I watch the game... It's way more different than Football Manager. The action is so fast and weird that I don't even get what is going on.

How do you guys balance that? For example, how long does it take for you to finish a game? Do you simply roll your lines and give them preset commands like me? It feels kinda dull that way. I want to be able to go like, "Aha, Crosby is out, now let goons out and get them to kill him!" but if I were to play like that, a single regular season game would probably last more than an hour, which makes the game quite boring.

So basically, I don't understand how the game is played, even though I'm familiar with hockey tactics and the manager games. In football, everything is pretty straightforward. If your left back is weak, then you replace him. If you have trouble keeping the ball, you go for a creative player etc. but in hockey, it's so fast that there is no way to follow the game. Then, how am I supposed to make line changes?

If I'm not mistaken, there is an option to just become a GM and let the team play with a coach but it is not good enough for me either. I don't want to be just an office guy who has no say in who gets to play or who does what.

For people who are used to playing the game and hockey itself since childhood, my questions may look terribly silly but this is what it is. I feel like I'm watching the game and not in charge while playing EHM, simply because I have no idea how I must approach.

More than "Do this, do that" kind of advice, I am interested in hearing how you guys roll. I pick my lines and then watch my boys win or lose, looking at the screen like an idiot. If I try making changes, then it takes too much time - I mean, every other minute or so, I feel like I need to try something new, create a new line, change a tactic etc... How do you deal with it? Do you simply do that and play every game for a loooong time? Maybe it's just I'm too impatient. Really no idea. I've tried playing this game several times, I want to bring a cup to Omsk so badly yet I have no idea how to do it, LOL.

hansomreiste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 02:21 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansomreiste View Post
Hey everyone,

Was not sure where to ask about this and thought this was the best place. My question is TOO BASIC for the discussion here and perhaps even funny. Though as the famous Turkish saying goes, there is no shame in not knowing; the shame lies in not finding out. So, here I go.

I have been into hockey for some years and generally speaking, I'm OK with basic tactics. Moreover, I've played Football Manager for like seven or eight years before it started sucking. So, I'm familiar with this managerial stuff as well.

However, I can't play EHM properly, because I simply don't even know what to do. I pick my lines, select who does what and how I play and then... Nothing. If I simulate games, then I don't understand what happened - therefore, I don't know what changes are required. If I watch the game... It's way more different than Football Manager. The action is so fast and weird that I don't even get what is going on.

How do you guys balance that? For example, how long does it take for you to finish a game? Do you simply roll your lines and give them preset commands like me? It feels kinda dull that way. I want to be able to go like, "Aha, Crosby is out, now let goons out and get them to kill him!" but if I were to play like that, a single regular season game would probably last more than an hour, which makes the game quite boring.

So basically, I don't understand how the game is played, even though I'm familiar with hockey tactics and the manager games. In football, everything is pretty straightforward. If your left back is weak, then you replace him. If you have trouble keeping the ball, you go for a creative player etc. but in hockey, it's so fast that there is no way to follow the game. Then, how am I supposed to make line changes?

If I'm not mistaken, there is an option to just become a GM and let the team play with a coach but it is not good enough for me either. I don't want to be just an office guy who has no say in who gets to play or who does what.

For people who are used to playing the game and hockey itself since childhood, my questions may look terribly silly but this is what it is. I feel like I'm watching the game and not in charge while playing EHM, simply because I have no idea how I must approach.

More than "Do this, do that" kind of advice, I am interested in hearing how you guys roll. I pick my lines and then watch my boys win or lose, looking at the screen like an idiot. If I try making changes, then it takes too much time - I mean, every other minute or so, I feel like I need to try something new, create a new line, change a tactic etc... How do you deal with it? Do you simply do that and play every game for a loooong time? Maybe it's just I'm too impatient. Really no idea. I've tried playing this game several times, I want to bring a cup to Omsk so badly yet I have no idea how to do it, LOL.
I usually balance it like that: I don't pay "too much" attention in regular season games (that is, as long as my record is decent, otherwise you have to kick in) although of course there is the odd game that lasts much more than other games, when I wanna win, or when I lost four games on a row. On playoffs, then I focus more.
When you just started playing the game, it's unavoidable to "lose" a lot of time.
Sure the first game of the season is gonna take me a lot of time because I set the skeleton of the tactics and lineup I'm gonna use for the whole season.
On a side note, I hope in the future we'll be able to tune the KHL better. It's pleasant to know that someone at least plays the league
EDIT: Sorry, I didn't read it first. You don't know how to make line changes? You just click on a player on the left pane and then on the spot you want to put him, that way the players should flip-flop. Something like that, I don't have the game in hands right now.

Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 10:44 AM
hansomreiste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
I usually balance it like that: I don't pay "too much" attention in regular season games (that is, as long as my record is decent, otherwise you have to kick in) although of course there is the odd game that lasts much more than other games, when I wanna win, or when I lost four games on a row. On playoffs, then I focus more.
When you just started playing the game, it's unavoidable to "lose" a lot of time.
Sure the first game of the season is gonna take me a lot of time because I set the skeleton of the tactics and lineup I'm gonna use for the whole season.
On a side note, I hope in the future we'll be able to tune the KHL better. It's pleasant to know that someone at least plays the league
EDIT: Sorry, I didn't read it first. You don't know how to make line changes? You just click on a player on the left pane and then on the spot you want to put him, that way the players should flip-flop. Something like that, I don't have the game in hands right now.
Thank you! More than not knowing how to change lines, my problem is that I have no idea what is the norm with this game. I know this sounds very strange but you know, some games are not easy to play and require some kind of assistance. For me, EHM is like that. I don't know the extent to which I am able to have an effect on the game, so I always keep asking myself, "Am I playing enough? Does the game allow me to interfere even further?" and such. Though instead of delving too much into details, just diving into the game and spending hours with it seems to be the better idea... I admit I am too lazy about that.

Honestly, I'm surprised that very few (or actually, nobody?) people play KHL... I didn't see a single career story evolving in KHL. There are so many good teams you'd love to see with cup. Avto, Sibir, Traktor, Amur, Avangard, Admiral etc... All with loyal fan bases and potential yet no success so far. Gotta change that.

hansomreiste is online now   Reply With Quote