HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

KHL business aspects discussion

Old
05-25-2017, 05:42 AM
Urbanskog
Platinum Member

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro Seren Rosso View Post
Well, what small-market teams did wonders? Carolina got a cup, I concede that, but it was just once in a lifetime. Arizona sucks year in and year out. Maybe Buffalo, but it's still in the New York state and frankly a lot of peolpe live in the area.
Most of what you can imagine as "small market" are 10x markets if compared to Europe.
You do realize that Buffalo is 600 km away from New York City? But hey, at least it's in the same state.

Urbanskog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2017, 06:27 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanskog View Post
You do realize that Buffalo is 600 km away from New York City? But hey, at least it's in the same state.
600 kms in America or in Russia don't have the same impact of 600 kms in European countries. There are a lot of hockey places in the state of New York, especially on the North, where Buffalo lies, not to count the proximity with the Canadian border.

05-25-2017, 06:31 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansomreiste View Post
What? Even the Ducks or the Preds are considered as small markets for NHL. I remember the times when Arizona/Phoenix were in playoff and my memory is not even that good. Again, when I'm talking about parity and competitiveness, I'm not suggesting that every team should have a chance to hoist the cup every other year. There is no such league. I just want KHL to have such a structure thanks to which all teams, at some point, could compete for the cup.

I have no problem seeing Colorado or Arizona in KHL; that's inevitable, some teams will be weaker than others. It's fine. I just want to see more of Nashville or Ottawa in that league, you know. Teams who can have a shot. Teams who can elevate themselves to the point of being able to have a shot at the cup.

Now, as things stand, we know Admiral can never ever see a conference final. I want this to change. I am not asking for Admiral to go to conference finals; I want a structure which could make their journey possible. It's their job to be or not to be there. I'm all about giving all teams equal opportunities and see what happens after that.

The steps that are being taken now are really promising. Sure, Russian & American lifestyles and economies are way different and this always needs to be kept in mind; but as can be seen, when the people in charge want it, some things can actually change. And come on, we are talking about RUSSIA here. Not a 45-min drive country where crossing border mistakenly is a normal thing. They have potential. They can do this with so many big cities and love for hockey. This is why I'm not happy with CSKA & SKA domination; I know this league can be way more competitive and enjoyable.
Well, considering Ducks and Preds as "small-market" teams in the USA is one thing, but we need to admit that here in Europe we could only dream about having markets that are one quarter of such "small" markets.
For the rests, you said yourself: measure have been taken, now let's see if they work. I think that most of the stuff going on is reasonable.

Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2017, 08:06 AM
Urbanskog
Platinum Member

vCash: 50
Quote:
600 kms in America or in Russia don't have the same impact of 600 kms in European countries. There are a lot of hockey places in the state of New York, especially on the North, where Buffalo lies, not to count the proximity with the Canadian border.
It's so far away that it doesn't benefit in any way from the masses of NYC. Upstate New York is so sparsely populated that Buffalo is undoubtedly a small market, even if there's more hockey culture and interest there than in most places.

Urbanskog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2017, 08:49 AM
Rigafan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Canucks View Post
Yeah, it was strange to see a Chinese team in the KHL, when China is not that well-known for playing hockey.
Although politics may have been the catalyst to bring Kunlun in. Chinese gas company wanted rights to work in Russia so Putin said ok well we want a Chinese team and to help with the Winter olympics... I can see Kunlun becoming a success. Sure they wil have the stigma of 'they have no chinese players!' for a while but who cares, slowly and surely they will develop their talent

Rigafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2017, 10:02 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Buffalo gets no benefit from being in New York State or near the Canadian border. It is a small market and the population in that part of the state is spread out. If anything, it is a detriment as many old-time hockey fans were likely Leafs, Canadiens, or Rangers fans when Buffalo entered the league. Couple that with the fact that "upstate" people hate NYC and vice versa. Two completely different cultures.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2017, 09:23 PM
St George

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
I used the term "commercial sponsors" to differ "sponsorship" and "external sources" as it is written in english version of the interview.

I dont understand the difference as well, because so called "external sources" are sponsors (sponsorship agreements between a club and a municipal authority etc) as well. My point is that the structure of the KHL clubs revenue streams differ from soccer clubs.
The other "external sources" are many, and depend on the sport and the club, but include financial compensation for outgoing players, income from renting out the stadium for other events, appearance money in preseason tournaments, bank loans..."

St George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 11:24 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Well, what small-market teams did wonders? Carolina got a cup, I concede that, but it was just once in a lifetime. Arizona sucks year in and year out. Maybe Buffalo, but it's still in the New York state and frankly a lot of peolpe live in the area.
Most of what you can imagine as "small market" are 10x markets if compared to Europe.
Nashville is in the Stanley Cup Final, and they are probably the smallest market team in the NHL. The difference is that in the NHL, they have a highly structured player draft system in which the last go first (although the lottery system modifies that a little). If you finish last place in the previous season, you automatically are entitled to draft the best new players available. That system prevents teams from becoming permanent bottom-feeders. Edmonton is a perfect example of that.

Also, the NHL has revenue-sharing methods that make it easier for teams that aren't doing well to survive. I don't understand the KHL's seeming policy of recruiting new franchises, then kicking them out 4 years later because they couldn't get up to speed fast enough. It just conveys a look of weakness and fragmentation for the league.

Yakushev72 is online now   Reply With Quote