HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Campbell

Old
07-18-2017, 10:51 AM
Crossbar

vCash: 500
Was wondering why he was still unsigned.

Well this was one of the reasons why I was glad we decided to go after the big fish free agent d-men last offseason (unless you preferred trying to trade for Fowler/Shattenkirk at the time), because Soup was up there in age and we didn't know when he was going to hang them up. I liked him in his first season paired with Garrison, but after that I think his game declined big time, partly due to who we surrounded him with. I give him major props for going about his business like a true professional here, even tho he supposedly didn't want to be here according to Versteeg's comments.

My main beef with Soup will always be he didn't bring enough offense/creativity to the table, especially for that monster contract (I actually believe that kind of money should be reserved for Norris Trophy d-men and they had better be in their prime years). We'll see if Yandle and Ekblad live up to their own big contracts.

Last edited by Crossbar: 07-18-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Crossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 03:40 PM
FrolikFan67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar View Post

Well this was one of the reasons why I was glad we decided to go after the big fish free agent d-men last offseason (unless you preferred trying to trade for Fowler/Shattenkirk at the time), because Soup was up there in age and we didn't know when he was going to hang them up. I liked him in his first season paired with Garrison, but after that I think his game declined big time, partly due to who we surrounded him with. I give him major props for going about his business like a true professional here, even tho he supposedly didn't want to be here according to Versteeg's comments.

My main beef with Soup will always be he didn't bring enough offense/creativity to the table, especially for that monster contract (I actually believe that kind of money should be reserved for Norris Trophy d-men and they had better be in their prime years). We'll see if Yandle and Ekblad live up to their own big contracts.
yea but keep in mind he wasnt signed to that here, that was already his contract. not like he was a free agent and we signed him for that. we got rid of olesz as a cap dump to acquire him so in essence he was cheaper than whatever his contract was, plus we always had cap space so it wasnt an issue here. of course he wasnt worth that amount, but hence the cap dump going back

FrolikFan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 04:37 PM
Rahooji
Tales of the FUNKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar View Post

The Florida Panthers were lucky to have a player of his caliber. They didn't deserve him. I know he came off that way in the end too. Some people don't sugar coat things.

Rahooji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 09:14 PM
KW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahooji View Post
The Florida Panthers were lucky to have a player of his caliber. They didn't deserve him. I know he came off that way in the end too. Some people don't sugar coat things.
Of course. The Florida Panthers are lucky to have any NHL caliper players. They don't deserve them. I mean, who watches hockey where it never snows? Hockey doesn't belong south of the Mason-Dixon Line, right? And no further west than St. Louis, is that about right?

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2017, 10:31 PM
Crossbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrolikFan67 View Post
yea but keep in mind he wasnt signed to that here, that was already his contract. not like he was a free agent and we signed him for that. we got rid of olesz as a cap dump to acquire him so in essence he was cheaper than whatever his contract was, plus we always had cap space so it wasnt an issue here. of course he wasnt worth that amount, but hence the cap dump going back
Yup, I'd even have made the trade for Soup had Chicago not accepted Olesz as a cap dump, it was such a no-brainer gift from the Hawks and we were extremely weak on D overall in the organization.

Crossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2017, 08:51 AM
Rahooji
Tales of the FUNKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW View Post
Of course. The Florida Panthers are lucky to have any NHL caliper players. They don't deserve them. I mean, who watches hockey where it never snows? Hockey doesn't belong south of the Mason-Dixon Line, right? And no further west than St. Louis, is that about right?
I'm not sure what happened here. Are you having a conversation with me or yourself? Need clarification please.

Old
07-19-2017, 09:23 AM
KW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahooji View Post
I'm not sure what happened here. Are you having a conversation with me or yourself? Need clarification please.
I was replying to your condescending post with sarcasm.

Old
07-19-2017, 09:32 AM
klabob

Quote:
Rahooji is lucky to have a member of your caliber reply to him. He doesn't deserve it. I know he came off that way in the end too. Some people don't sugar coat things.

klabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2017, 09:37 AM
KW

Quote:
Originally Posted by klabob View Post
Rahooji is lucky to have a member of your caliber reply to him. He doesn't deserve it. I know he came off that way in the end too. Some people don't sugar coat things.
That's actually pretty good. Well done.

(Still, his post was condescending so I responded.)

Old
07-19-2017, 11:02 AM
Chaos2k7

Everyone has bad days.

Might be the best Dman to suit up for the Panthers so far, best 5 year stretch at minimum.

Chaos2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2017, 11:42 AM
Rahooji
Tales of the FUNKY

Quote:
Now I see what you did there. Clever little devil you.

Old
07-19-2017, 11:44 AM
Rahooji
Tales of the FUNKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by klabob View Post
Who are you again? I've forgotten. Most likely my bad.