More Savvy

Stanley Cup champion Marc Savard turns to golf

sooshii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 09:33 PM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

vCash: 500
My largest peeve. He is still an active Boston Bruin and they do not put him on the injured list on the jumbotron.

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 09:57 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooshii View Post
As a golf fan, that would be amazing if he ever achieve his new goal.

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2014, 11:48 PM
talkinaway

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
My largest peeve. He is still an active Boston Bruin and they do not put him on the injured list on the jumbotron.
I agree in principle. However:

A) It's quite possible that Savvy's humble enough that he doesn't want his name on the board. He's on the IR list online during the regular season, I think. Yes, it's not the same as on the jumbotron, but if it's what Savvy wants, it's what Savvy gets.

B) I mentioned before the twinge of anxiety/sadness I get every time I see his name. I'd bet the boys on the ice (and, in particular, those who knew/played with Savvy) feel that a thousandfold. And the fans, too. I forget if they flash the injured list up fairly fast, or if they read it out loud, but If it comes on the loudspeaker, that's just gotta give you pause.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't think of Savvy ever...quite the opposite, and that's why I like this thread. But putting a Band-Aid with some Neosporin on a wound and checking in on it once in awhile is much more productive than picking at it constantly.

I would like occasional updates on him - I mean, it wouldn't hurt the guys on NESN to mention how he's doing a few times a year. That said, the back of my mind would probably think it's a "polished turd" puff piece, much like a lot of Behind the B was. You're not going to hear "This month, Savvy had a week where he just had to hole up in bed". Most of what you hear will end with "...and he's doing better now", and there's even a hint of that in the OP's article.

Like I said, I hope he's genuinely doing well, and I'm glad he's found some joy in golf. Curious if he visualizes Cooke's head when he's hitting the ball....

talkinaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 12:22 AM
Shaun
beauty

good to see he's doing better now. I miss watching him spread sauce all over the ice.

the lack of response still pisses me off.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 12:31 AM
LMFAO

Matt cooke is a piece of ****

LMFAO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2014, 04:40 AM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMFAO View Post
Matt cooke is a piece of ****
QFT.

I am still waiting for cooke to get what he has coming to him. It doesn't help Savvy but it may help other players that will be injured by this ass of a player if he isn't out of the NHL..

08-11-2014, 03:44 PM
GordonHowe

Marc Savard Back in the Hockey World

Mods fold into another thread if appropriate.

Marc Savard to scout for the Ottawa 67's,

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...192532108.html

GordonHowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 05:19 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Derp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonHowe View Post
Mods fold into another thread if appropriate.

Marc Savard to scout for the Ottawa 67's,

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...192532108.html
Just a dumb move all around.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 07:09 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Yeos Eyebrows View Post

Quote:
according to NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly, the League doesn’t anticipate Savard’s hiring as a scout “having any effect on his [long-term] injury or eligibility” with the Boston Bruins.
So... why is it dumb?

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2014, 09:02 PM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Yeos Eyebrows View Post
Why's that? Pronger is doing the same thing.

Old
08-11-2014, 10:44 PM
talkinaway

Yeah, I'm confused too. I don't see a downside for anyone involved.

I have no idea of Savvy's qualified to be a scout...but that's what many former players do, like PJ Axelsson. The article implied that a formal job in the front office would make him ineligible to be on the IR list - but if scouting's where he wants to be, and he can get a a job there, then great.

That it's for the Oilers? Who cares. Hell, I'd even make an exception and still have feel goods and well wishes for Savvy if he got a scouting job for the Habs.

He's still on the IR as far as I know, and I can't imagine he'd formally retire - it would only hurt the Bruins cap-wise, I think. From what I understand, he either "hurts" the Bruins by taking the money (and that's money that's rightfully owed to him) by not retiring, or "hurts" the Bruins by retiring and gobbling up cap space. Ask yourself: are the Bruins cash-strapped, or cap-strapped? Definitely the latter.

And no way is Savvy going to burn bridges in the NHL. I hope he'll find someplace in the NHL to work once his contract formally runs out, if that's where he wants to be.

Old
08-12-2014, 05:01 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkinaway View Post
Yeah, I'm confused too. I don't see a downside for anyone involved.

I have no idea of Savvy's qualified to be a scout...but that's what many former players do, like PJ Axelsson. The article implied that a formal job in the front office would make him ineligible to be on the IR list - but if scouting's where he wants to be, and he can get a a job there, then great.

That it's for the Oilers? Who cares. Hell, I'd even make an exception and still have feel goods and well wishes for Savvy if he got a scouting job for the Habs.

He's still on the IR as far as I know, and I can't imagine he'd formally retire - it would only hurt the Bruins cap-wise, I think. From what I understand, he either "hurts" the Bruins by taking the money (and that's money that's rightfully owed to him) by not retiring, or "hurts" the Bruins by retiring and gobbling up cap space. Ask yourself: are the Bruins cash-strapped, or cap-strapped? Definitely the latter.

And no way is Savvy going to burn bridges in the NHL. I hope he'll find someplace in the NHL to work once his contract formally runs out, if that's where he wants to be.
He's going to scout for the Ottawa 67s, a junior team. That's why there isn't a problem regarding his injury status - it has nothing to do with the NHL. I don't know where you got Oilers, unless you forgot to drink your coffee or something.

I'm happy for Savvy - it's great to see him involved in the game he loves.

Old
08-12-2014, 05:08 PM
qc

vCash: 2000
Great news regarding the new job. I'd love to see him running an NHL team in 10 years (still wouldn't mind him as our PP coach either for that matter).

qc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2014, 06:28 PM
talkinaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
He's going to scout for the Ottawa 67s, a junior team. That's why there isn't a problem regarding his injury status - it has nothing to do with the NHL. I don't know where you got Oilers, unless you forgot to drink your coffee or something.

I'm happy for Savvy - it's great to see him involved in the game he loves.
Sorry, I mis-typed....my bad. And, for the record, while I drink coffee occasionally during the winter months, it NEVER ever wakes me up in the least....

And yeah, I figured since it was a junior team (not even AHL), that it wouldn't affect his IR status. Besides, like I said, I don't think he'd ever do ANYTHING to jeopardize that status, both for him and the Bruins.

Old
08-13-2014, 10:52 AM
GoBs

Were the Bruins successful in adding his name to the cup they won in 2011?

GoBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 10:57 AM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBs View Post
Yeah they were

Old
08-13-2014, 10:57 AM
TheBusiness
Rookie User

Quote:
Believe so.

And Savard getting back involved with hockey is great for him, I'm sure hes been devastated not being able to play and having his career cut short.

TheBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 11:11 AM
Bruinfan5470

I am curious as to why the Bruins have to continue to pay for a player who's career was ended by another teams player as far back as the 2010-2011 season?
Savard hasn't played since then and he continues to affect the Bruin salary cap, to me the team that Matt Cooke played for at the time should be footing the bill on this one.
As should any team that rosters a player who soul purpose is to end an opposing players career, those teams that have players like that, should pay the price for doing so.
That team should be forced to pay financial restitution and perhaps a draft pick or two to the team of the injured player or take on the contract obligations to that injured player, something like that.
Anyways, I know this none of this will happen, but I just wanted to get this off my chest, I just think it stinks that a team must pay for something another teams player is responsible, that's all.

Bruinfan5470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 11:23 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinfan5470 View Post
I am curious as to why the Bruins have to continue to pay for a player who's career was ended by another teams player as far back as the 2010-2011 season?
Savard hasn't played since then and he continues to affect the Bruin salary cap, to me the team that Matt Cooke played for at the time should be footing the bill on this one.
As should any team that rosters a player who soul purpose is to end an opposing players career, those teams that have players like that, should pay the price for doing so.
That team should be forced to pay financial restitution and perhaps a draft pick or two to the team of the injured player or take on the contract obligations to that injured player, something like that.
Anyways, I know this none of this will happen, but I just wanted to get this off my chest, I just think it stinks that a team must pay for something another teams player is responsible, that's all.
Obviously Cooke's act was malicious and intentional, but the majority of hockey plays that cause injuries are not. How would you prove it? Even the cleanest of hits can cause injuries, or an unintentional/accidental fall. Shawn Thornton certainly didn't mean to concuss Brooks Orpik; if Orpik sustains another concussion and is forced to retire (remember Savard played after the Cooke hit), you're saying the Bruins should be punished?

Old
08-13-2014, 03:27 PM
Rhoshambeau
Fat Axl

Quote:

2nd to last row above Tim Thomas

Rhoshambeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2014, 03:42 PM
talkinaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinfan5470 View Post
Also, in terms of the cap, I don't think net-wise Savvy affects it at all. He's technically on the roster now, and we're allowed to be 10% over the salary cap at this point. Sometime between training camp and the first game (I think, not sure of the timing), he gets moved to the IR, and we get his cap hit back. This move also has to put us back to the 100% (as opposed to 110%) salary cap limit.

In terms of actual cash money, I don't think even Jeremy Jacobs would want to think of penny pinching on this one. Savvy's covered by the contract he signed, and that contract's a standard one that's agreed upon by the NHL and NHLPA (I presume). Everyone agreed that when someone goes on the IR, the team still pays him - and, in the words of Wilford Brimley, it's the right thing to do.