HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Phoenix CXXIII: Who Wants to Pay Our Bills?

Old
Today, 03:34 PM
YoungGuns

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightygoose View Post
Yeah, slow news day

Though unrelated, the team is telling fans not to do the wave?

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/a...ans-dont-wave/

Probably didn't want to show the TV audience that the lower bowl is essentially empty..

YoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 03:35 PM
Slashers98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
Must be a part of Coyotes 2.0.

No Excuses, No Apologies, No Fun.
Haha, well done Tom!

Slashers98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 04:24 PM
WildGopher

Quote:
Yeah, slow news day
On this slow day, trying to read some tea leaves with the Rules Committee. Looks like they're not too likely to play the role of obstructor to the Worsley bill, even with two Glendale senators on the committee. Here's why:

On Monday, they considered 69 bills that had been passed by a committee. I checked 22 of them, and they assigned every one to the Senate floor. Didn't reject any. So it appears their role is more of scheduler than gatekeeper. A few of those bills were assigned by the Rules Committee to get Senate floor votes today, others will wait.

Also, it appears bills needing additional consideration from the Finance or Appropriations Committee typically get that second committee hearing BEFORE going to the Rules Committee, so I'd guess that won't happen to Worsley's bill, now. So it appears next stop is the Senate floor; we just don't know when.

One of the bills that the Rules Committee advanced to the floor is SB1480, about Community Facilities Districts, that appeared on our radar briefly when it seemed to co-opt Sen. Lesko's bill. I don't see that it would have a direct impact on the Coyotes other than that, though.

It looks like Rules' next meeting would be Monday. I'll watch for the next agenda and post if Worsley's bill gets listed.

Last edited by WildGopher: Today at 04:53 PM.
WildGopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 04:37 PM
Mightygoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGopher View Post
On this slow day, trying to read some tea leaves with the Rules Committee. Looks like they're not likely too likely to play the role of obstructor to the Worsley bill, even with two Glendale senators on the committee. Here's why:

On Monday, they considered 69 bills that had been passed by a committee. I checked 22 of them, and they assigned every one to the Senate floor. Didn't reject any. So it appears their role is more of scheduler than gatekeeper. A few of those bills were assigned by the Rules Committee to get Senate floor votes today, others will wait.

Also, it appears bills needing additional consideration from the Finance or Appropriations Committee typically get that second committee hearing BEFORE going to the Rules Committee, so I'd guess that won't happen to Worsley's bill, now. So it appears next stop is the Senate floor; we just don't know when.

One of the bills that the Rules Committee advanced to the floor is SB1480, about Community Facilities Districts, that appeared on our radar briefly when it seemed to co-opt Sen. Lesko's bill. I don't see that it would have a direct impact on the Coyotes other than that, though.

It looks like Rules' next meeting would be Monday. I'll watch for the next agenda and post if Worsley's bill gets listed.
Appreciate the update. I have hard time deciphering these things!

So it appears this won't go down quietly then but again, if the Rules committee is just scheduling things then it's more of procedure.

For those scorekeeping, assuming it does make it to the senate floor, what does it need to go to the full legislature? I believe there are 30 in the senate so they would need a simple majority? two-thirds etc..

Mightygoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 04:50 PM
WildGopher

Quote:

So it appears this won't go down quietly then but again, if the Rules committee is just scheduling things then it's more of procedure.

For those scorekeeping, assuming it does make it to the senate floor, what does it need to go to the full legislature? I believe there are 30 in the senate so they would need a simple majority? two-thirds etc..
It would only need a majority. Then, according to a tweet earlier by Craig Harris, if it passes, it would go to the House for their vote.

If you're handicapping the vote, you already have 6 favoring it and 1 opposed (based on the vote in the Transportation Commitee). Then I have to believe the two senators representing Glendale will oppose it (one has already said she leans against it), so with those, it's probably 6-3 in favor, with us left to guess how the other 21 senators will vote. I still have to believe it will be hard to pass in this fiscally conservative legislature, but then, I wouldn't have expected a 6-1 vote in favor in the committee, nor Lesko's bill flaming out the way it did.

So start laying down your bets - hey, the league's going to Vegas, so that'll be the next "in" thing!

Old
Today, 04:54 PM
Llama19

vCash: 91
Quote:

Quote:
It would only need a majority. Then, according to a tweet earlier by Craig Harris, if it passes, it would go to the House for their vote.

If you're handicapping the vote, you already have 6 favoring it and 1 opposed (based on the vote in the Transportation Commitee). Then I have to believe the two senators representing Glendale will oppose it (one has already said she leans against it), so with those, it's probably 6-3 in favor, with us left to guess how the other 21 senators will vote. I still have to believe it will be hard to pass in this fiscally conservative legislature, but then, I wouldn't have expected a 6-1 vote in favor in the committee, nor Lesko's bill flaming out the way it did.

So start laying down your bets - hey, the league's going to Vegas, so that'll be the next "in" thing!
Make-up of the two bodies:

Senate - 13-D, 17-R
House - 25-D, 35-R

With all of the activity surrounding the lack of funding for education...funding an arena will be a tough one, especially for the House members, to lay down track for...

Llama19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 05:00 PM
WildGopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post

Senate - 13-D, 17-R
House - 25-D, 35-R

With all of the activity surrounding the lack of funding for education...funding an arena will be a tough one, especially for the House members, to lay down track for...
Maybe LeBlanc can offer to host K-12 classes in his shiny new arena, since there won't be money left over to put the kids anywhere else. That would be a real win-win for the taxpayer!

Old
Today, 05:07 PM
Mightygoose

Quote:

Senate - 13-D, 17-R
House - 25-D, 35-R

Quote:
Maybe LeBlanc can offer to host K-12 classes in his shiny new arena, since there won't be money left over to put the kids anywhere else. That would be a real win-win for the taxpayer!
Appreciate the feedback!

For if it's a simple majority needed I see it, the magic numbers are 16 yeahs for the Senate and 31 Yeahs for the House.

If both give the yeahs, then the next 'magic number' is 55 million....all that's required for the host community for the privilege....by 31-Dec-18

Mightygoose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 05:12 PM
WildGopher

Quote:
Appreciate the feedback!

For if it's a simple majority needed I see it, the magic numbers are 16 yeahs for the Senate and 31 Yeahs for the House.

If both give the yeahs, then the next 'magic number' is 55 million....all that's required for the host community for the privilege....by 31-Dec-18
Yup. The NHL has ripped off some cities before, but this would take the cake if they can pull this off!

Old
Today, 05:18 PM
Whileee

Quote:

Senate - 13-D, 17-R
House - 25-D, 35-R

Even if the bill is passed, the Yotes are going to have to convince some public body to agree to a business and development plan that provides huge subsidies for arena construction, and long-term operating subsidies. This concept is not new. They tried to float a CFD (Community Facilities District) in Glendale around the Westgate development, and it was a dud. Turns out not enough folks thought it was a good idea to shovel that much subsidy to the Coyotes.

I still think that LeBlanc is engaging in all sorts of smoke and mirrors with prospective supporters in terms of the details of the IA financial plan, and when it becomes clear they are going to have a hard time finding public partners, with or without the new financing mechanism. I would bet that is one of the reasons they got booted from the ASU development plan. Once everyone figured out what IA's financial situation and plans were, they developed antibodies pretty quickly.

Whileee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 05:35 PM
WildGopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
Once everyone figured out what IA's financial situation and plans were, they developed antibodies pretty quickly.
Developing "antibodies" is a good biological metaphor for what should happen. "Zone of revulsion" might be another one. All of us here have probably looked closely at arenas we've been in, marveled at the architecture, the functionality (and the expense!). The thought of putting up another of those state-of-the art buildings when you have an essentially new one (no next-generation features for arenas have really developed since GRA was built) just 30 miles away is just nuts.

Old
Today, 05:52 PM
Glacial

Quote:
Yeah, slow news day
Been a long slow spell. Not as long as the Hurricanes Waiting for Godot new buyer saga though. Seems prospective Hurricanes buyers are as real as jackalopes or drop bears. Seems like team intrigue goes on bye weeks too.

Quote:
It could be branded an elementary school- the Shane Doan Elementary School. Just build a school on the side of the arena and let the kids have access to the ice weekday mornings during the school year.

Glacial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 06:03 PM
Roadrage

Quote:
What's LeBlanc gonna charge? It sure as hell ain't going to be free out of the goodness of his heart. Maybe first one is free but "nominal fee" after?

Roadrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 07:04 PM
Govment Cheese
you'll Float 2

Quote:
City could then contract IA to teach classes in finance and economics.

Govment Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 07:14 PM
WildGopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govment Cheese View Post
There you go. If the bill can't pass in the House Commerce Committee, teaching those classes might be enough to move the bill over to the Education Committee and get it passed!

Old
Today, 07:20 PM
Glacial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govment Cheese View Post
Art class... the art of deception of course.

Glacial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 07:40 PM
Govment Cheese
you'll Float 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacial View Post
Art class... the art of deception of course.
The arts
Clown 101 to advanced clowning techniques.

Govment Cheese is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 08:15 PM
Llama19

vCash: 91
Update:

The Rules Committee is meeting, tomorrow, February 23 at 1:00 P.M. in Caucus Room 1.

The agenda lists SB1149 as one of many bills up for consideration...

Llama19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 08:32 PM
WildGopher

Quote:
Update:

The Rules Committee is meeting, tomorrow, February 23 at 1:00 P.M. in Caucus Room 1.

The agenda lists SB1149 as one of many bills up for consideration...

Yeah, that huge agenda of 69 bills Monday meant they were probably going to have to start meeting more than once a week, as predicted earlier. If they hold true to form, the bill will be voted "PFC" - proper for consideration - and moved to the Senate floor. But there are only 13 bills listed for tomorrow, so maybe they expect longer debate on some of them - We can only hope, because that's what sells the popcorn here!