HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How to hit harder?

Old
07-15-2014, 05:51 PM
NateTheGr8

vCash: 291
How to hit harder?

I play in a body contact league, its so much more fun to defend when you can angle and actually hit them into the boards to stop them rather than having to poke check it away like beer league which forwards with silky hands have a field day.

I have a good understanding of hitting, when to go for the hit, when to not go. But I find it hard to stand people up and usually fall down lol.

How can I hit harder?

NateTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 06:14 PM
The Stig
Global Moderator
Change

vCash: 470
Lead with the shoulder, don't put your hands up, keep your elbow tucked in and keep your feet moving. Also keep your feet wider apart. The wider your stance, the harder it will be for you to get knocked down.

07-15-2014, 06:51 PM
kento19
@kento19

vCash: 50
Explode up!! It starts from the legs, just don't explode up enough to hit/target the head.

Watch how Phaneuf starts low.

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2014, 07:53 PM
Onetimersniper28

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kento19 View Post
Explode up!! It starts from the legs, just don't explode up enough to hit/target the head.

I wouldn't take Phaneuf as an example
He takes himself out of the play far too often, but I'll admit he's a hardass hitter. Same thing with Subban.
Kronwall is the best hitter in the NHL IMO. He's not that big, but he has a good understanding of physics and collisions. Remember that you don't need to break the guy's ribs, you just have to knock him off balance, or at least create enough separation with the puck to take it away from him.

Lean into the guy with your shoulder. Speed is essential in order to hit hard.

Notice that Kronwall makes sure that he has someone to back him up and retrieve the puck for him before he steps up.
If you hit a guy very hard, be prepared to receive some crap after that

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 12:03 AM
Terry Yake

make sure you bend your knees and lead with the shoulder

the power should come from your lower body

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 12:11 AM
Chip39

Hard hits are all about fast hips but once you shoot your hips you re out of shots. Lifting weights might help.

Chip39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 01:03 AM
Welcome2Hell

the lower man always wins, its all about exploding up (sounds sexual)

Welcome2Hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 04:31 AM
SmCurse

Hitting is pretty much coordination and bodycontrol (balance, learn to control your entire body). And reading the plays. Strength only helps. If I had to choose, wrestling/mma training would benefit in hockey more than weight lifting imo.

SmCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2014, 07:05 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
It's all about having a strong core. The best hitters are simply stronger, they don't have a special technique.

Fire Julien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2014, 08:27 AM
ryrod

Skate through the check like you were trying to skate through a brick wall. So many guys stop moving their feet as soon as contact is made.

ryrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 02:44 PM
kento19
@kento19

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrod View Post
Skate through the check like you were trying to skate through a brick wall. So many guys stop moving their feet as soon as contact is made.
If you stride through a player you will usually get nailed with a charging penalty.

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2014, 04:29 PM
TieClark

It's all in the legs. Your extremities should never flail out... tuck your elbow and shoulder in and follow through with your legs.

TieClark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 06:53 AM
ryrod

Quote:
If you stride through a player you will usually get nailed with a charging penalty.
Only if you take more than two strides BEFORE contact is made. Once you hit him, keeping your legs moving is the easiest way to prevent yourself from getting knocked down (in open ice, that is).

ryrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 03:12 AM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

Quote:

I definitely wouldn't recommend exploding up into hits when it comes to a guy how isn't totally sure on hitting. For the sake of the recipients.

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2014, 04:32 AM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Since the age of 11 I was always the hardest hitting guy on every team I played on. It was something that came naturally to me and I would straight dummy kids all game long which lead to them being more hesitant and throw them off their game.

Center of gravity plays a huge role thus you need to get lower than the other guy; legs shoulder length apart, knees bent ready to explode upwards upon contact (which also makes you harder to knock down), arms tucked in, make your shoulder your primary point of contact and aim for their shoulder/chest. When you make contact explode upwards through your legs and direct that energy directly in to his upper body (very important, explode upwards too early and there is a good chance you are going to either miss completely, get shrugged off, or ruin his life with a concussion).

Timing is key, timing is something that you need to master if you plan on throwing monster hits. It is truly an art form, the ability to turn yourself in to a heat seaking missile takes practice and when you figure it out the physical aspect of the game will become less daunting and more fun. There is no other feeling like becoming a brick wall, feeling another guy try to run through you, his energy hitting you, directing it back at him and making him take a seat (that is me describing the indescribable ).

Also one last bit of advice; even if you have the puck you can still throw a hit. Somebody bearing down on you looking to rock your world? Turn it around on him and initiate contact first. This aids in puck control, and it also makes you look pretty ****in awesome to the ladies in the stands.

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote