HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 draft = 2001 draft?

Old
01-13-2014, 08:28 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

vCash: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
Also, Bykov could have stuck around if he wanted to. It's not like he couldn't play here. The guy held his own. He chose to go back to Russia. Not what I would consider a bust.
Bykov and Grigorenko (especially pre-accident) have NHL talent. They choose to play at home and really since we have been very hesitant to go back to the Russia well. Marchenko was passed over entirely for one draft year and then had strong interviews to really sell us on him. But for those that bemoan things like passing on Kuznetsov, the 2001 draft likely plays heavily into that.

They like to say you should get two NHL players out of each draft, that is all you can truly count on. Hurts when those two basically don't want to play in the NHL.

AA should get to the NHL in some capacity, encouraged a great deal that after a slow start and position change to center that he is taking off.

Paterson is a goalie so hard to tell, but I think he is eventually a very good backup, just evaluating him on a WJC performance really isn't all that fair, lets not pretend Fucale went anywhere with that same group. Canada had some serious problems, getting beat like a rented mule on face-off plays is not good for any goalies performance. I like the way Paterson competes for every puck, think he has pretty fluid movement when I watch him, we will see what eventually happens.

De Haas is interesting, have seen him a couple times, has nice size and skating, pretty good at moving the puck. Still a project, but he could make it, will be more telling in a couple years.

McKee really needs to move to forward full-time and the league needs to still have fighting for him to have role. But he could be a Ryan Reaves type. Guy is just a massive intimidating presence, but even the best NHL enforcers don't take the kind of useless penalties he takes a bunch of. He will have to learn his role and somewhat important to the discussion is the league needs to keep his eventual role around.

Frk has been extremely disappointing, he honestly looks out of shape. But as Frk it posted the other day, his teammates and coaches think he is working hard which is a nice sign. The Wings should cut him a check and send him to Gary Roberts this summer, he needs that badly. I have a feeling even if he turns it around he might just be dealt, our top 6 winger positions are starting to fill up in a hurry and that is if a Sheahan or Jarnkrok don't wind up better options on the wing clouding that picture even more.

Bodin will not be signed, probably should have been converted to D after his draft.

Pretty early to write off any of them. Also important to note a lot of these guys have NHL measurements on their side. They are bigger guys that might take a little longer to develop, but also don't have a whole lot of physical limitations and should continue to learn how to use their bodies better and play a mans game.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 08:29 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

vCash: 500
For one, McKee screams "Babcock kind of guy." So he'll likely get his chance somewhere down the road.

Frk has been a monumental disappointment, but I remember Jurco had a slow start in the AHL as well. I just hope he puts it together because he was one of my favorite picks in that draft.

Paterson is up in the air. Between Howard and Mrazek's futures, we might not even need him.

And Athanasiou has a ton of potential and scoring ability. Overall, it does look like a bleak draft, but I think we get 2 decent NHLers out of it.

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 08:37 PM
cjm502
#FireHolland

I go to WMU. Not sure why the Wings drafted McKee besides for his size. Not very skilled or smart, I highly doubt he ends up becoming an NHL player.

cjm502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2014, 10:55 PM
Wolverine Wings
#thankyoubasedgod

This draft would look a whole lot better with 1st round draft pick, KH.

Ahem.

So Frk is having some struggles, but a lot guys go through rough periods, it is what they do to get out of it that shows how far they'll go. He really needs to get better at skating, I think it'll do his game a world of good--look at Pulkkinen for instance, he has proven some of his naysayers wrong this season, and I think it's because he can finally play in position on these tighter North American ices that have allowed him to excel.

Paterson is a goalie and looks alright enough. Team Canada sucked as a team, nobody save Mantha (swoon<3) looked good in the WJC. We'll see in three or so years how things pan out.

Andreas Athanasiou has proven to be a very good pick. He's among his team leaders in points, has found a home at Center, plays fast and seems like he really wants to win. He'll be an important prospect in the future with Ferraro not looking too hot (again).

De Haas & McKee it is simply way to early to tell, their big, mobile and defensemen, though De Haas is pretty good with the puck, but it's another three or four years yet until their out of college that we'll get a better idea on them.

Bodin didn't pan out. A lot of seventh rounders don't, though it is a shame that decision time for him has come so soon after draft day. Hope he heals up and moves on with his life, it seems like he isn't made for pro-hockey.

Not the best draft, but AA looks like he'll be an NHLer yet; not every draft can be as good as 2011 or 2013 .

Last edited by Wolverine Wings: 01-13-2014 at 10:56 PM. Reason: grammar/spelling
Wolverine Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 03:59 AM
joe89

I was never sold on Frk, but I can't judge him yet. If he figures out the pro game things might turn around quickly.

Paterson looks like a guy who will need his time, but by hard work will make it eventually. Maybe more of a backup type though.

AA2 could go either way. Can't tell before AHL play.

De Haas looks like a very solid 6th round project at this point, considering they can wait and see without signing.

Can wait and see with McKee aswell, but slim hopes there on my part.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 07:12 AM
Pavels Dog

Definitely looking like it could be the 'bust' year compared to the 2010, 2011 and 2013 years that should all produce some quality players barring unexpected developments.

That said, probably too soon to give up on Frk and AA.

Pavels Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 08:02 AM
probertrules24

The 2012 draft I have never had high hopes for. If anybody was to make it I would think it was a success. Not sure why I was down on it but I just couldn't get to excited for some reason.

Out of the 2013 I think Mantha and Janmark will be the only guys that make it. Thats not to say other guys drafted won't make it from 12 and 13 but not sure they do with the Wings.

I think 2011 was a huge year for us. Jurco, Ouellet, Sproul, Marchenko and Backman. I also think both Tvrdon and Nedomiel will end up being Red Wings someday.

If I also look at 2010 I think Sheahan, Mrazek, Jarnkrok and Pulkkinen will make it.

So from the last 4 years I have Sheahan, Mrazek, Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen, Jurco, Ouellet, Sproul, Marchenko, Backman, Tvrdon, Nedomiel, Mantha and Janmark. Thats 7 forwards, 5 defenseman and 1 goalie. That would be pretty huge in the last four drafts and not sure we could ever find the room.

probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-14-2014, 10:59 AM
Detroit Sports*

This is like saying :The guys from our 2016 NHL draft are a bust too. Not will be they already are.

Detroit Sports* is offline   Reply With Quote