HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobrovsky signs: 2 years, 11.25 million, (post 854)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-01-2013, 04:22 PM
  #901
thebus2288
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 973
vCash: 500
Reading some of the comments on the Bob and Arty contracts its clear you guys have forgotten the days when Vermette was our #1 center and GARON not Mason was the best goalie. I don't even see how there's an issue at all, the money is more than fair for his play last year and its only 2 years. I think even if he plays about the same the next couple years(top5G) the CAP HIT on his next contract will only go up about 1M. Its all about the years.

thebus2288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:23 PM
  #902
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
All you did was parrot what I've been saying for a month now. Having said that, an older vet stop gap with a young future guy seems to be about the best option to keep it under control. You have to split time with the vet and minimize the kids games until you get him locked up for 3+ years in his second deal at a reasonable price. When that next contract is due you better have his replacement ready.

GM's are going to realize here shortly they can't throw this kind of money around to every goal tender out there. We are starting to approach max contract amount for average goal tenders. The floor, if you are any good, is going to start to be 5 million+ on that first RFA contract. Detroit got off lucky with Howard and I hope Bob follows that performance trend that Howard has.

I guess the only saving grace is, at some point, everyone is equally screwed.
I assume you are talking theoretically about the vet/young guy combo. If so I think you are theoretically right.
In reality I don't think it works that way. If it did don't you think all teams would do so and never pay goalies or any player for that matter the exorbitant salaries they get now?

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 04:44 PM
  #903
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?
 
Dr. Fire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Jacketstown, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 6,879
vCash: 500
I will let Puck Daddy do the talking as I agree with all of this.

Quote:
Kekalainen and the Blue Jackets were going to have to pay Bobrovsky, given his accomplishments – the Vezina, the Hart consideration, that 21-11-6 record with a 2.00 GAA – and the competition for his services. But they managed to do so without going long-term with him, which is a pitfall other GMs fail to avoid, and to maintain his RFA status at contract’s end.

Hey, you never know if one year’s award-winning goalie is next year’s average disappointment. See Mason, Steve …

Above all else, Kekalainen has taken another gargantuan leap for the franchise in earning the fans’ trust. The idea that Bobrovsky could leave after becoming a hockey folk hero in Columbus was as much a gut-punch as the Rick Nash saga.

The good vibes from their playoff push can now carry over to next season, when the Jackets move to the Eastern Conference.
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...tml#more-62933

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 06:08 PM
  #904
alphafox
Registered User
 
alphafox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,138
vCash: 500
very impressed with the contract. Getting a "reasonable" bridge contract while not alienating the player (e.g. Subban) is nigh impossible. The fact that we get to negotiate again before Bob hits UFA and can find out if he is one of the next great goalies in an extended trial period was the best move the organization could make, even if they did have to pay a bit more to get that privilege.

alphafox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:33 PM
  #905
cslebn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
All you did was parrot what I've been saying for a month now. Having said that, an older vet stop gap with a young future guy seems to be about the best option to keep it under control. You have to split time with the vet and minimize the kids games until you get him locked up for 3+ years in his second deal at a reasonable price. When that next contract is due you better have his replacement ready.

GM's are going to realize here shortly they can't throw this kind of money around to every goal tender out there. We are starting to approach max contract amount for average goal tenders. The floor, if you are any good, is going to start to be 5 million+ on that first RFA contract. Detroit got off lucky with Howard and I hope Bob follows that performance trend that Howard has.

I guess the only saving grace is, at some point, everyone is equally screwed.
There's a problem with your strategy you posted. That strategy is exactly what many teams have done and if you look at it, half the time that second contract is where that player got paid. See Cam Ward and Ryan Miller (6 mil + each). Those contracts are years old now but they all get paid if they are worth anything about 3 years into their NHL careers.

Schneider keeps getting discussed here. He's the exception, not the rule and even then his signing at 4 mil created such a mess over the last 16 months it's been crazy.

People keep talking about wanting to be a Chicago, but at the end of the day if we are a budget team we can never be a Chicago (they're a cap team, period). This signing doesn't end our world. Is RJ overpaid by about 1 mil, yep. Is Dubi? Probably. Is Wiz, without a doubt. Does that mean this is bad - in a vacuum it isn't but in the cap world it does make things harder. Does that mean this is a bad signing - nope.

We're going to have to do something to bring in younger better offensive talent. Skimping on a 24 yr old goalie is not necessarily the best way to do it. Could you save some now without Bob, sure but then if you consider the chance that he's an allstar goalie for your team for the next ten years potential - it's a risk you take and you find help elsewhere for cap.

cslebn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 07:46 PM
  #906
BJfan
NobodyBeatsTheWiz!
 
BJfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: section 211
Country: Tuvalu
Posts: 296
vCash: 500
Love the CBJ email "Breaking, jackets sign player"

BJfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:02 PM
  #907
LetsGOJackets!!
Registered User
 
LetsGOJackets!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 2,583
vCash: 500
Totally agree with this poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslebn View Post
There's a problem with your strategy you posted. That strategy is exactly what many teams have done and if you look at it, half the time that second contract is where that player got paid. See Cam Ward and Ryan Miller (6 mil + each). Those contracts are years old now but they all get paid if they are worth anything about 3 years into their NHL careers.

Schneider keeps getting discussed here. He's the exception, not the rule and even then his signing at 4 mil created such a mess over the last 16 months it's been crazy.

People keep talking about wanting to be a Chicago, but at the end of the day if we are a budget team we can never be a Chicago (they're a cap team, period). This signing doesn't end our world. Is RJ overpaid by about 1 mil, yep. Is Dubi? Probably. Is Wiz, without a doubt. Does that mean this is bad - in a vacuum it isn't but in the cap world it does make things harder. Does that mean this is a bad signing - nope.

We're going to have to do something to bring in younger better offensive talent. Skimping on a 24 yr old goalie is not necessarily the best way to do it. Could you save some now without Bob, sure but then if you consider the chance that he's an allstar goalie for your team for the next ten years potential - it's a risk you take and you find help elsewhere for cap.

Schneider signed a 4MM a year deal as the backup - up and comer - The Nucks had over 10MM wrapped up in goalies. Alll that means is Nonis is a dumb ass, he tried to hold Luongo hostage. Bob is only 24 years old. If he plays like he has shown he is capable of we as Jacket fans are going to be screaming for more. This guy made us capable of winning every game he was in, other teams actually started to take us serious & we kept winning anyway. How many one goal differentials were there? 28 and the Jackets were 14-7-7 in them. That is Roy, Brodeur, or Drydenesque. Your God damn right they better have signed Sergei, had they done anything differently it would have ruined the confidence of the team.


Last edited by LetsGOJackets!!: 07-01-2013 at 08:08 PM.
LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:07 PM
  #908
Nanabijou
Booooooooooone
 
Nanabijou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,721
vCash: 500
Good signing and good contract. Based on what was out there for comparison, I was thinking (others here gave similar numbers) of 11 million over 2 years or 20 million over 4 years. I think Arace may have said something around there too. With the recent Smith signing and the rumored Rask deal he was able to use his leverage to get just above that.

It doesn't matter if you think other GM's have screwed up - that's market value. Even if this went to arbitration, I would have been surprised to see anything lower than 11 million over 2 years.

The key is that it isn't long-term like all the other albatross contracts that are out there. Term is much more important than cash here. I can't think of a 2 year contract that has ended up messing up a team - it's always those lifetime contracts that get GMs into trouble.

Nanabijou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 08:22 PM
  #909
CBJ Tiffin
Registered User
 
CBJ Tiffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
The key is that it isn't long-term like all the other albatross contracts that are out there. Term is much more important than cash here. I can't think of a 2 year contract that has ended up messing up a team - it's always those lifetime contracts that get GMs into trouble.

This is what sums it all up for me.

CBJ Tiffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:11 PM
  #910
Crede777
Deputized
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 8,190
vCash: 500
We should sign Bryzgalov to a 2 year $2 million contract to back up Bobrovsky.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 09:22 PM
  #911
LetsGOJackets!!
Registered User
 
LetsGOJackets!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 2,583
vCash: 500
Turn about is fair play..

can you imagine being Bryz.. sure I will hold your jock Sergei.

LetsGOJackets!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2013, 10:21 PM
  #912
Crede777
Deputized
 
Crede777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 8,190
vCash: 500
I so want to make a speculation thread on the trade boards.

But I'm not that guy so I won't.

Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:01 AM
  #913
Roman Reigns
One Versus All
 
Roman Reigns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pensacola, Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 5,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
We should sign Bryzgalov to a 2 year $2 million contract to back up Bobrovsky.
They didn't have the greatest relationship in Philly.

Roman Reigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 01:32 AM
  #914
General Jacket70
Registered User
 
General Jacket70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
They didn't have the greatest relationship in Philly.
I can just imagine them meeting for dinner at a local restaraunt. The maitre d asks Bryzgalov "How many?" Bryz replies "two" when a voice from the door shouts "Make that three!" as Bob walks in carrying his Vezina Trophy. . .

General Jacket70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 01:03 PM
  #915
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,356
vCash: 500
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...id=DL|NHL|home

Bobrovsky named first team all-star
Quote:
Bobrovsky, in his first season with the Blue Jackets, emerged as the team's most valuable player. After starting the season competing with Steve Mason for No. 1 spot, he cemented his role as the team's top goaltender, and finished second in the League with a .932 save percentage and fifth with a 2.00 goals-against average. He then became the first Russian-born goalie to win the Vezina Trophy.

He also received 129 first-place votes, more than any other player.
Unfortunately he only won the award once, unlike Ovechkin who was named to both the first team and second team. Lots of fun in the mains on that topic.


Last edited by Skraut: 07-03-2013 at 01:18 PM.
Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 04:23 PM
  #916
Le Messie
Registered User
 
Le Messie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 81
vCash: 500
This is like the best contract you could imagine for your goaltender.
He deserves the money, and he'll have to prove he wasn't a ''one year wonder'' goalie.

Le Messie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 04:47 PM
  #917
MoeBartoli
Chex-to-Jax
 
MoeBartoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 725
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo61 View Post
Just a huge pessimist... I'm quite happy about it and don't see a reason not to be. We have tons of cap and lots of options. Bobrovsky is the 10th highest paid goalie and soon to be 11th when Rask signs. He's right near Fleury, Price and Howard, i think thats fair
This post accurately captures why this is at minimum a reasonable deal, and more likely a good deal.

MoeBartoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.