HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Rask vs Lundqvist

View Poll Results: Rask vs Lundqvist
Rask 109 64.12%
Lundqvist 61 35.88%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-21-2014, 02:00 PM
UncleOscar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by racecar View Post
lol your funny.

a 40 year old back up making 8.5m....... wow
you're*

UncleOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 02:04 PM
bursilym

Rask AINEC

bursilym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 02:20 PM
Aufheben
The jam must flow...

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
The King for me.

You know what you're going to get for the most part.

Imagine if he played behind Boston.
The Rangers have switched over from zone defense to man-on-man this year and the results have been...awful. No surprise that Hank has a good SV% but a crummy GAA.

Aufheben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 02:23 PM
roboninja
EYG

Reading the question literally, Rask being younger and on a better contract do not matter at all. It just says who do you take for next season, which sounds to me like it is asking you to ignore all of those concerns.

With that in mind I chose Lundqvist. If I considered those other factors I would go with Rask.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 03:21 PM
Chieftans22*
#FreeSeguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Actually, you're completely wrong. He's the one not understanding why I don't agree with him. Also, people flying is a very poor comparison and you probably were best leaving it to yourself.

Carry on.
I wasn't trying to corner you into admitting defeat or anything, I just asked why you think he is a tier above Rask.

I was interested because I think you're the only person who puts Hank a 'tier above' Rask on HFB.

Chieftans22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 03:52 PM
bigbuffalo313

Quote:
lol your funny.

a 40 year old back up making 8.5m....... wow
Sorry I didn't realize you could tell the future.

bigbuffalo313 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 03:55 PM
racecar*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuffalo313 View Post
Sorry I didn't realize you could tell the future.
nah im just realistic. lundqvist is already declining at age 32... he's still pretty good right now but he's only going to get worse.

racecar* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 04:01 PM
bigbuffalo313

Quote:
nah im just realistic. lundqvist is already declining at age 32... he's still pretty good right now but he's only going to get worse.
One bad season (which isn't that bad) and he is already declining. I guess messier started to decline in 1985

Old
03-21-2014, 04:03 PM
racecar*

Quote:
One bad season (which isn't that bad) and he is already declining. I guess messier started to decline in 1985
do you think he's gonna be a #1 goalie at age 39? be honest.

Old
03-21-2014, 04:31 PM
bigbuffalo313

Quote:
do you think he's gonna be a #1 goalie at age 39? be honest.
No but not a backup

Old
03-21-2014, 04:51 PM
racecar*

Quote:
No but not a backup
yea but 8.5m is for #1 goalies... maybe he'll still be decent at 39 but definitely not worth 8.5m.

Old
03-21-2014, 08:18 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by D204 View Post
If he is really a tier above every other goalie, his stats don't reflect that. The last time I saw him was the 2013 ECSF, where the Bruins scored 14 goals in 5 games.

It wasn't a dig, it was just a question. You make the statement like it was easy and I was wondering why because I hadn't seen anything of him since last year and he wasn't a popular topic.
His stats do show it though. He is the only goaltender to put up a .920SV% as a STARTER for four consecutive years, and if he does it this year, which he has a shot it, he will be the only one to do it five years in a row.

Not to mention his Vezina, Gold Medal, Silver Medal and 5x Vezina Nominations. Dude has been stellar his entire career.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 08:26 PM
Chieftans22*
#FreeSeguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
His stats do show it though. He is the only goaltender to put up a .920SV% as a STARTER for four consecutive years, and if he does it this year, which he has a shot it, he will be the only one to do it five years in a row.

Not to mention his Vezina, Gold Medal, Silver Medal and 5x Vezina Nominations. Dude has been stellar his entire career.
Does that have anything to do with how he will play in 2014-15?

Tim Thomas was insane in the '11 playoffs

Old
03-21-2014, 09:23 PM
Izzy
FollowmeonInstagram!

vCash: 270
Quote:
yea but 8.5m is for #1 goalies... maybe he'll still be decent at 39 but definitely not worth 8.5m.

03-21-2014, 09:50 PM
Dactyl

Quote:
You realize they didn't have a choice right? Hank would have gotten 9+ on the market. A lot of teams would have been all over him. 8.5 with the cap increase really isn't that bad.

Dactyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 09:51 PM
Dactyl

I love how above average is complete **** for Hank. He really has set the bar so high that when he's having an off year and is still top 15, all the haters swarm him.

Dactyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 08:17 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Elite goalies dont wash up at 32. Guarantee you that at 39 Lundqvist will still be a top-10 goalie, if not better.

I understand people taking Rask because hes younger and cheaper, and hes having a better season.

Rask can only dream to have the kind of career Lundqvist has had, at least individually.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 08:57 AM
jacks

Quote:
lol, lundqvuist is gonna be 39 when he retires... does anyone else see a problem with this?
In the topic of this thread yes.I see a problem with anyone bringing up anything past next season involving either goalie.
You see the question is asking for next season ONLY.
If people would just learn to read and answer the questions asked.

jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 11:10 AM
Fataldogg

Quote:
Does that have anything to do with how he will play in 2014-15?

Tim Thomas was insane in the '11 playoffs
He was 2nd and 1st in Vezina voting over the last two seasons. If we used that as an indicator, he should have been a shoe in for the Vezina this season right? But he's not.

No play in one season acts as a true predictor for play into the next season. You can say "he was fantastic last year, there is no doubt in my mind he will continue that into next season," but It doesn't account for players having off seasons (and Lundqvist is having an off season for his standards, despite still being an above average starter in the league at his absolute worst).

Who thought Ovechkin would go from a 50, to 30, to 30, back to 50 goal scorer? Not a lot of people at the time, but as I said before, players have up and down years in their career.

In regards to 14-15, there is no doubt in my mind Lundqvist will be better, just because he can only improve based on his performance (which is scary). It would be a statistical anomaly to follow up his worst season with another worst season. But, like I said up top, don't count on anything.

14-15, I think Rask will be better, and it's mostly because he will be playing on a top-3 team in the NHL again. I still haven't seen Rask play on a bottom-10 team like Lundqvist and see him carry them to the post season. Let's face it, with as good as Rask is, it's not like the Bruins 48 wins would turn into 25-30 and they'd be looking at a top-5 pick.

I think Rask is an excellent goaltender who is fortunate enough to play in a system conducive to eliciting bolstered goaltender numbers, and he is on a team that is a bred winner. He will likely win multiple Vezina's over the next couple of seasons because of playing for such a thorough bred team. I don't think Lundqvist will ever play for a team in the remainder of his career as good as Rask's team right now and in the near future. I don't think Lundqvist has another Vezina in him because his team was structured for mediocrity. Boston's organization has done an amazing job building a true contender for most of the post lock out. And they will continue to be a top contender for years to come because of the defense, offense, and goaltending. They're built as deep as it gets.

Old
03-22-2014, 11:16 AM
Chieftans22*
#FreeSeguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
He was 2nd and 1st in Vezina voting over the last two seasons. If we used that as an indicator, he should have been a shoe in for the Vezina this season right? But he's not.

No play in one season acts as a true predictor for play into the next season. You can say "he was fantastic last year, there is no doubt in my mind he will continue that into next season," but It doesn't account for players having off seasons (and Lundqvist is having an off season for his standards, despite still being an above average starter in the league at his absolute worst).

Who thought Ovechkin would go from a 50, to 30, to 30, back to 50 goal scorer? Not a lot of people at the time, but as I said before, players have up and down years in their career.

In regards to 14-15, there is no doubt in my mind Lundqvist will be better, just because he can only improve based on his performance (which is scary). It would be a statistical anomaly to follow up his worst season with another worst season. But, like I said up top, don't count on anything.

14-15, I think Rask will be better, and it's mostly because he will be playing on a top-3 team in the NHL again. I still haven't seen Rask play on a bottom-10 team like Lundqvist and see him carry them to the post season. Let's face it, with as good as Rask is, it's not like the Bruins 48 wins would turn into 25-30 and they'd be looking at a top-5 pick.

I think Rask is an excellent goaltender who is fortunate enough to play in a system conducive to eliciting bolstered goaltender numbers, and he is on a team that is a bred winner. He will likely win multiple Vezina's over the next couple of seasons because of playing for such a thorough bred team. I don't think Lundqvist will ever play for a team in the remainder of his career as good as Rask's team right now and in the near future. I don't think Lundqvist has another Vezina in him because his team was structured for mediocrity. Boston's organization has done an amazing job building a true contender for most of the post lock out. And they will continue to be a top contender for years to come because of the defense, offense, and goaltending. They're built as deep as it gets.
That argument was fun for a while

Old
03-22-2014, 01:45 PM
Fataldogg

Quote:
That argument was fun for a while
What's the argument?

To say that he plays for a great team? Is that an argument or more of a fact (their record indicates it's a fact) and so does their current placement for a President's Trophy.

Just like in the Olympics, Price played in a system conducive to bolstered goaltender stats, on a team that is a bred winner for success.

I don't get why Rask fans have to be butt hurt every time a fan says he plays on a great team.

He is fortunate to play on them. So is Bergeron, Krejci, Chara, Marchand, Iginla, etc. They're a solid TEAM. Every player on the team benefits from that. Why is saying Rask benefits against the rules now?

Any player in the NHL is LUCKY when they're signed to an annual contending team. Players on great teams (e.g. Toews on Chicago) will have better careers than a player on a 15-20th place team. Right now, Toews wouldn't have the same accolades if he played on the Islanders or Devils.

Why is it so hard to understand that every player in the world hugely benefits by playing on a great hockey team?

Just like Lundqvist benefited from playing on Sweden and had a chance to win it all.

I think Rask is lucky in that fact, because an athlete like Lundqvist might never have a chance to play on a team of that caliber again. Just like I think Miller should be on his knees praying that he wins a Stanley Cup, because this will likely be the best chance he ever gets.

Teams matter. Sorry if you don't agree.

Secondly, before you got butt hurt and felt like I was beating a dead horse, I've said multiple times that he is an excellent goaltender. I don't know why people constantly think people are trying to tear down Rask because he plays for a quality team.

And guess what happened when Lundqvist played for a quality team, he won a Vezina and almost made it to the Stanley Cup Finals. Does he do that without a quality team? Nope. So suck it up, it is what it is. He will always be known for playing on a great team. And I'm sure he'd rather play on a great team, and not get the credit that he might deserve, and win a Stanley Cup (which he likely will in the next few years) than be an elite goaltender like Lundqvist who nevers wins the Cup but is praised for his individual efforts.