General Rugby talk thread - II

Old
02-25-2015, 03:24 PM
flyingkiwi
Band of Beavers

vCash: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
I think being awarded this tournament could have a huge impact on men's rugby as a whole in Canada over the next few years. 2014, and so far early into 2015, has not been kind to Rugby Canda. Our 15's team was awful last year. Canada's Sevens team has been under-performing in this season, and has watched the USA pass them by in the rankings, quite easily I might add.

With the limited funds Rugby Canada has, and now with Sevens being an Olympic sport, it wouldn't surprise me if Canada starts focusing more on Sevens, which would negatively impact our 15s squad. The 15s barely beat Namiba and can't beat the likes of Romania or Georgia, nevermind Japan or the US. If Kieran Crowley isn't on the hot seat already with being ranked 18th in the world, a poor Pacific Nations Cup will put him there and a last place group finish at the World Cup will surely see him fired.
Yeah it's a shame about the 15s. Canada put in a good effort in the 2011 WC, but you're right, 7s will probably have a negative on any country with a 15s team that isn't isn't already a 15s powerhouse, including Canada. My favourite example is Fiji. Incredible sevens team but 15s aren't so flash.

Still I hope 15s in Canada finds a way to get better and put in a good showing at the world cup this year. Remember when you beat Tonga?

flyingkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2015, 01:38 PM
Rocko604

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkiwi View Post
Yeah it's a shame about the 15s. Canada put in a good effort in the 2011 WC, but you're right, 7s will probably have a negative on any country with a 15s team that isn't isn't already a 15s powerhouse, including Canada. My favourite example is Fiji. Incredible sevens team but 15s aren't so flash.

Still I hope 15s in Canada finds a way to get better and put in a good showing at the world cup this year. Remember when you beat Tonga?

I remember watching that game. Great that night that was. Overall we had a pretty good World Cup, we played pretty tough vs France until they blew it open near the end, and a couple of bone-headed penalties vs Japan plus France lying down vs Tonga arguably cost us a 3rd place finish, but in general, it was still very entertaining. Hell, we scored tries vs the All Blacks!

I remember hearing a lot of talk that 2011 was going to boost the profile of Rugby in Canada. TSN definitely threw their support behind it, broadcasting games whenver feasible. Arguably better sponsorship deal followed as well with DHL as the shirt sponsor and Under Armour becoming or kit manufacturer. Unforutanely, it hasn't translated to the field, which is unfortunate. I'm not expecting us to become a tier one nation in my lifetime (and I"m only 31), but I don't think being able to go toe to toe with the likes of Samoa, Scotland and Italy while beating the USA, Japan and especially ****ing Romania and Georgia is asking too much.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2015, 05:00 PM
flyingkiwi
Band of Beavers

vCash: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko604 View Post
I remember watching that game. Great that night that was. Overall we had a pretty good World Cup, we played pretty tough vs France until they blew it open near the end, and a couple of bone-headed penalties vs Japan plus France lying down vs Tonga arguably cost us a 3rd place finish, but in general, it was still very entertaining. Hell, we scored tries vs the All Blacks!

I remember hearing a lot of talk that 2011 was going to boost the profile of Rugby in Canada. TSN definitely threw their support behind it, broadcasting games whenver feasible. Arguably better sponsorship deal followed as well with DHL as the shirt sponsor and Under Armour becoming or kit manufacturer. Unforutanely, it hasn't translated to the field, which is unfortunate. I'm not expecting us to become a tier one nation in my lifetime (and I"m only 31), but I don't think being able to go toe to toe with the likes of Samoa, Scotland and Italy while beating the USA, Japan and especially ****ing Romania and Georgia is asking too much.
I remember the game vs All Blacks. We watched it in the breaks between the NRL Grand Final cause the Warriors were in it.

I think Canada definitely has potential, but need to be getting regular, tough competition.

flyingkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:24 AM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

vCash: 500
Italy beat Scotland.

Scotland couldn't handle the maul all game.

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:30 AM
Dustin Peener
HF Top 30

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk92 View Post
Italy beat Scotland.

Scotland couldn't handle the maul all game.
If Italy had a 10 who could actually kick, it wouldn't have been a contest

- ixcuincle
Dustin Peener is online now   Reply With Quote