HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Mikko Rantanen Part III

Old
09-12-2017, 03:34 AM
TruePowerSlave

vCash: 500
Nearly all of MacKinnon's pro career highlights happened as a winger, I don't know how anyone can argue against that. World Championships, World Cup and the playoffs are without a doubt his best moments so far. A stretch of games in the 2015/2016 regular season is not as impressive to be honest.

I guess you could argue that Mack is a big game performer who just happened to play wing when the games mattered.

TruePowerSlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2017, 08:54 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

MacK is better at center than people give him credit for. He is a significantly better 2 way player than he ever has been and it is clicking on how to control the play as a center. The development hasn't been perfect, but I think last year was his best overall season. I expect Rants and MacK to team up on a big season next year. Both should cross 65 points and dominate play on a nightly basis.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2017, 09:56 AM
Foppberg

Obviously most of his highlights are going to come when he's playing with an all star cast vs the **** show that is the Avs.

He's a center, he can play the wing well, but he's better at center.

Foppberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2017, 10:15 AM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

A stretch of games...Mack was dominating for the first ~35 games before his injury. As a rookie the first half of his season was very tame, it was the final ~40 + playoffs were he took it up a notch.

~5 games + a playoff series doesn't make one a neglible streak and the other a fact that is held onto until MacK retires.

Hell there's an easy argument that MacK was better this past year than he was as a rookie.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2017, 01:04 PM
Tweaky
Solid #2

It is going to be nice after this season when MacK plays center all year and puts up a career high in goals and points....and we can stop arguing about where he is better suited to play.

Tweaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2017, 01:57 PM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruePowerSlave View Post
Nearly all of MacKinnon's pro career highlights happened as a winger, I don't know how anyone can argue against that. World Championships, World Cup and the playoffs are without a doubt his best moments so far. A stretch of games in the 2015/2016 regular season is not as impressive to be honest.

I guess you could argue that Mack is a big game performer who just happened to play wing when the games mattered.
I don't know, last season he really became the engine that drove the Avs offense (such as it was). A great deal of the goals from the team went through him, despite carrying much greater responsibilities than his rookie year. I don't see how anybody could say MacKinnon's best year didn't come at center.

McMetal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2017, 04:48 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruePowerSlave View Post

The other commonality there is when he played on the three best teams in his career with talent around him.

tigervixxxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 12:30 AM
Pokecheque
armoredheadspace

Honestly, I'll admit that it's easy to look at his production levels as a winger vs. what he's done as a center and conclude that yes, he's better there. I just think he looks better and more comfortable there, but I'll concede that he had more talent around him those times he was exclusively on the wing, and that while he didn't produce as well at C, his underlying numbers suggested he was still a force.

Either way, the real issue is the garbage depth players the team has been saddled with, which I'm hope is coming to an end soon.

Pokecheque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 07:29 AM
TruePowerSlave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
The other commonality there is when he played on the three best teams in his career with talent around him.
That helps for sure. At this point its kinda impossible to know but Mack just feels like the kind of player who improves as the stakes get higher, he has been mighty impressive in big games so far even if they were on the wing. Too bad the Avs have been trash.

TruePowerSlave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 09:03 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
I think MacK's success is less about position, and more about the linemates he has. He needs players that can keep up with him, that's either through being fast like him, or being smart enough to get into open areas. He has looked terrible when he is way ahead of his teammates, that's when we see him button hook after crossing the blueline. He has plenty of hockey sense when he is confident that the other members of his line are going to be open for him to distribute, when he doesn't have that expectation we see him go into his one man show mode. So in summary, his hockey sense isn't top tier, but it's plenty good enough to be successful.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 09:07 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundwaveIsCharisma View Post
I think MacK's success is less about position, and more about the linemates he has. He needs players that can keep up with him, that's either through being fast like him, or being smart enough to get into open areas. He has looked terrible when he is way ahead of his teammates, that's when we see him button hook after crossing the blueline. He has plenty of hockey sense when he is confident that the other members of his line are going to be open for him to distribute, when he doesn't have that expectation we see him go into his one man show mode. So in summary, his hockey sense isn't top tier, but it's plenty good enough to be successful.
I think that is why he works so well with Mikko. Rantanen isn't a great skater, but he is smart and knows where to be on the ice to help MacK out. Ghetto is a faster but smaller player who can provide a bit of the same. I hope that line sticks together to start the season.

Old
09-13-2017, 09:18 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I think that is why he works so well with Mikko. Rantanen isn't a great skater, but he is smart and knows where to be on the ice to help MacK out. Ghetto is a faster but smaller player who can provide a bit of the same. I hope that line sticks together to start the season.
Haha, forgot to mention that part. Definitely agree with you. Rantanen is smart enough to get into the right spots, a bunch of Rants' goals last year were from just being wide open for a shot. Ghetto definitely seems to fit well, he's small, weak, but smart and fast. Really hope it sticks as well.

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 05:03 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullen Bohannon View Post
We can argue in circles all day but the bottom line is that whether right or wrong, MacKinnon (and not Stastny, Duchene or O'Reilly) as the #1 C is the hill they've chosen to die on. It's a bold strategy Cotton, let's see how it works out.
I agree with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaky View Post
It is going to be nice after this season when MacK plays center all year and puts up a career high in goals and points....and we can stop arguing about where he is better suited to play.
As adamant as I am with this argument, and as frustrating as it can be for all of us right now. I really hope this is the case.

I don't really want to be right about this, and I've been fairly open that I have a clear bias, and judge MacK pretty harshly.

I cannot get over the long stretches where his brain just seemed to turn off in the offensive zone. Most of that has been at center as well IMO. Obviously at RW the game is more simple for him. I just don't have a lot of confidence in the way he sees the ice right now.

He 100% needs to get close to 65/70 points this season at C, with solid peripheral stats as far as driving the play in order for me to believe he can be the future head of the snake.

People are giving him as pass right now even in the MSM when bagging on the team. That is fine, but it only holds so much water for so long.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2017, 08:22 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Having a bigger gap over the 2nd leading scorer on his team than anyone but MacKinnon, and being a part of an equal portion of his team's goals as stars like Seguin & Tarasenko; should be enough to keep him out of the cross hairs of the MSM.

That's impressive even if his point total is unimpressive on its own.

Old
09-14-2017, 07:06 AM
The Kingslayer

Hope Rantanen ass got bigger and stick got longer over the summer.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2017, 07:52 AM
Westville92

I think every boy wishes for this.. Ha, but yeah that'd be nice

Westville92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2017, 11:05 AM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Hey! This is a family forum!

Old
09-14-2017, 11:08 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post

I seriously cant wait to see Mack and Rants together this year. I think both hit 60+ points and Rants hits 30+ goals if they stay together all year.

Wouldn't even rule them out of hitting 70 points/

Pierce Hawthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-15-2017, 12:58 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

If not for Bednar I could buy that. As is I'll be happy with 60+ from MacK & 50+ from Mikko with 25 goals.