HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bobby Ryan

Old
03-27-2014, 06:53 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nater97 View Post
This does not hurt his value, as many are saying, but actually helps it as it proves the mediocre Bobby Ryan seen over the past couple months is not the real, healthy Bobby Ryan.
I agree about the value part, but the mediocre Bobby Ryan is very much a part of the real, healthy Bobby Ryan. He wouldn't be where he is if it wasn't.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 08:12 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I have no clue if this year was the start of a new trend but UFA's at the deadline got underwhelming returns. Especially two big names like Moulson+Vanek. Everyone thought a 1st would be involved in both but it never came to fruition. Also Burke said they were offered a 3rd rounder for Cammy, there was no way he was moving him for that price. Seems like teams are willing to draft and wait for those players to make contributions rather than throw away assets for pieces that aren't under control for extended time.
Almost certainly had more to do with the amount of offensive players available then anything else. Last year everyone had cap room (due to the partial season, the cap was basically not there), and there was less talent available. Don't expect this year's prices to be the norm... it'll continue to fluctuate year to year.

BUT GMs are continuing to see the advantage of having young prospects, and thus are more likely to try and retain those picks/top prospects more than they did 5 yrs ago.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 08:20 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
Good thing its only 4-6 weeks for a full recovery so it wont even affect his off season training.

If Crosby broke his hand, would you trade for him 5 months later or would you lowball it because of that time he hurt his hand?
Poor example. Crosby has 11 yrs left on his contract, and before signing his extension adamantly stated that he would be signing a new contract to stay in Pittsburgh.

If I had a player who seemed reluctant to sign an extension (and I wasn't contending for a cup - like Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, etc) then I'd definitely explore trading him to get long term assets. Look at how Pittsburgh handled J.Staal. ***** about the return all you want... but at least we have something to show for him, vs Nashville and Suter (or NJ and Parise).

Say you could trade him for a young established player (eg, like M. Johansson) and a 1st. Wouldn't that be better than letting him walk, or trading him at the deadline, where all you'll get is a pick and a prospect?

Old
03-27-2014, 08:40 PM
SensNation613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Poor example. Crosby has 11 yrs left on his contract, and before signing his extension adamantly stated that he would be signing a new contract to stay in Pittsburgh.

If I had a player who seemed reluctant to sign an extension (and I wasn't contending for a cup - like Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, etc) then I'd definitely explore trading him to get long term assets. Look at how Pittsburgh handled J.Staal. ***** about the return all you want... but at least we have something to show for him, vs Nashville and Suter (or NJ and Parise).

Say you could trade him for a young established player (eg, like M. Johansson) and a 1st. Wouldn't that be better than letting him walk, or trading him at the deadline, where all you'll get is a pick and a prospect?
I'd move Ryan if we can't get him signed by deadline, guy is so good with Mac and Turris. He's also loved it in Ottawa so I like our chances of resigning him but if he doesn't sign by deadline, I wouldn't be a fan of keeping him. Hopefully Melnyk offers him the money he's worth THIS summer instead of waiting (I'd give between 5.5M to 6.75M/7M).

SensNation613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 09:06 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensNation613 View Post
I'd move Ryan if we can't get him signed by deadline, guy is so good with Mac and Turris. He's also loved it in Ottawa so I like our chances of resigning him but if he doesn't sign by deadline, I wouldn't be a fan of keeping him. Hopefully Melnyk offers him the money he's worth THIS summer instead of waiting (I'd give between 5.5M to 6.75M/7M).
I'm not dissing Ottawa with this comment (I actually don't mind the city the couple times I've been there). But... almost every player says this (oh I love X city, and am happy to be here!). Because they don't really have any other choice. It's not like they're going to say how much they hate it, or how they hate snow or whatnot (even if they do). Doing so would cause way more issues then it's worth (with the fans, media, team - management and team mates).

Ottawa is a young team with some very good building blocks. With Ryan as a key piece, they should be able to go deep into the playoffs over the next 3-6 years as their young kids continue to develop. Because of this I could just as easily see him re-signing there as him getting traded if it looks like he won't sign. I think the real question will be how much of a budget Murray is held to.

As for value... you'll get more for him in the summer when teams have a full season to try and sign him, then you would as a rental at the deadline. While I think the Vanek example is an extreme one... it's still a valid example of how much the market could change from October to March.

Old
03-27-2014, 09:07 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:

Im not sure we disagree. My comments were in response to snotbubbles who thought his injury lowers his value.
(See post #94)

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 09:16 PM
SensNation613

Quote:
I'm not dissing Ottawa with this comment (I actually don't mind the city the couple times I've been there). But... almost every player says this (oh I love X city, and am happy to be here!). Because they don't really have any other choice. It's not like they're going to say how much they hate it, or how they hate snow or whatnot (even if they do). Doing so would cause way more issues then it's worth (with the fans, media, team - management and team mates).

Ottawa is a young team with some very good building blocks. With Ryan as a key piece, they should be able to go deep into the playoffs over the next 3-6 years as their young kids continue to develop. Because of this I could just as easily see him re-signing there as him getting traded if it looks like he won't sign. I think the real question will be how much of a budget Murray is held to.

As for value... you'll get more for him in the summer when teams have a full season to try and sign him, then you would as a rental at the deadline. While I think the Vanek example is an extreme one... it's still a valid example of how much the market could change from October to March.
I suppose so but I think what Ryan brings to the table >>> what we'd be getting in the summer anyway. I've been an Ottawa fan since 06, which is a good 8 years. I have never seen a player do the amount of events that Ryan does. It might not say much but not even Spezza/Alfredsson/Turris/Etc have done that many events and he's only been here since the summer. The guy is full of joy when meeting fans, and it's something I really didn't expect. It doesn't mean he'll sign here but man, he's just such a nice guy, he always gives it 100% here in Ottawa. No matter what Anaheim fans, he's changed. Doesn't float on the ice, always trying to improve, I thought he was going thru a huge slump because he really didn't seem like the same player.

I couldn't see the injury

I seriously believe he has a 40G 40A season in him, just needs a healthy season and right line mates (Turris & Mac IMO). Melnyk is going to screw up somehow, if he does then I hope us Sens fans riot.

SensNation613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 10:19 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
Please explain how he is damaged goods. Nine months ago he was one of the most highly sought after players in the league. One surgery changes that? I'd gladly take him on the Flyers if he reaches free agency. Has there been any indication he wants to stay in Ottawa? Please don't say that he's said, "I like it in Ottawa". Has either side mentioned an extension?
No, but that can be attributed to the fact that we can't start negotiating one until July 1. I imagine he will be extended, hopefully for 8 more years. He is all skill, talent, and heart, plays his *** off on the ice, and has been even more involved in the community than the Alfredssons, Phillipses, and Neils of the world have ever been (and they all have done a LOT for this city, on and off the ice).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacks View Post
Maybe he can ,Maybe he can't but it seems a lot of Sen fans sure do know how to spell excuse.
No excuses, just truth. He was injured, he manned up and played through it, now needs surgery so he can go through a full offseason and train and be ready for camp. No excuses here.

Quote:
True, but actions speak louder than words, and if he was not invested in this city, he wouldn't be so active in community events, and so friendly and personable with all the fans (which anyone in Ottawa that has met him will attest to) while here. The reason he wanted out of Anaheim was that he was sick of always being in trade rumours - he wanted to have security, to know that he will be somewhere long-term, somewhere he is wanted. He is very much wanted and needed in Ottawa, and we can offer him an 8 year extension to have him locked up here for 9 more years. I think he will sign here, hopefully in the offseason, and we can finally put all these rumours to rest. Also, if you see him on the ice, he is smiling out there, has found a line he clicks very well with, and is like a kid out there, especially when we score and are winning. I imagine/hope that he is here long term.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 10:39 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacks View Post
Maybe he can ,Maybe he can't but it seems a lot of Sen fans sure do know how to spell excuse.
How is playing through a sports hernia not a legit excuse lol? Think about how uncomfortable that would be to play through.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 11:48 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by nater97 View Post
Sports Hernia surgery has a 100% success rate. It's a fairly common procedure for NHLers, and doesn't hurt performance after the procedure has healed.

This does not hurt his value, as many are saying, but actually helps it as it proves the mediocre Bobby Ryan seen over the past couple months is not the real, healthy Bobby Ryan.

I expect the Sens to resign him.
I expect him to test FA.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 11:49 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
How is playing through a sports hernia not a legit excuse lol? Think about how uncomfortable that would be to play through.
It's common to play with a sports hernia, it's all about pain tolerance.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 12:29 PM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

No interest in trading him.

SixthSens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 05:06 PM
David Krejci
STANLEY CUP CHAMPS

I want the Bruins to bring back Iginla, but if they win the Cup and he retires (which I doubt he would, he has so much left in the tank, but who knows?) then:

Spooner
1st
+???

David Krejci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 05:17 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Krejci View Post
I want the Bruins to bring back Iginla, but if they win the Cup and he retires (which I doubt he would, he has so much left in the tank, but who knows?) then:

Spooner
1st
+???
A top 4 RHD dman that is between the ages of 25-30 would be ideal, probably not on top of what you offered but the top 4 RHD is by far our biggest need

I'm confident we have a good shot at retaining him but nobody knows so

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote