HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

EOJHL 2014 - 15 Season

Old
11-11-2014, 08:33 PM
KL14

vCash: 500
Jr A cuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftycanuck View Post
... Just because a team has a hot start doesn't mean they are the favorite. This league isn't won in the 1st half. Just wait until teams bring in help at the Junior A cut deadline.

The bottom end Jr A players that will be cut at the deadline and added to any of the Jr B teams will be turn out to be average Jr B players at best. The only former Jr A players that make any impact in Jr B are the ones that come and play because they have turned 21 and are too old for Jr A. I don't think any team will be getting an "impact player" because of Jr A cuts. Ask any former Jr A player that is in JrB now. I am sure they will tell the quality of play is much better than what they had expected.

KL14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2014, 11:00 AM
gusfring

Agreed. Bottom end JrA players are not going to have a big impact in JrB. Doesn't work that way anymore.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2014, 11:37 AM
cchltier1fan

There still is a big difference in quality of play, especially speed, between the two leagues. I do not know of any established Jr A guys that switch to Jr B who are surprised by the quality of play or find it better than expected. Jr B is still fun hockey to watch and has some good players but not nearly as skilled as Jr A.

cchltier1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2014, 12:05 PM
hockey91

Sooo Perth and Westport made a few trades Nov. 11. Any idea on how the players from Westport will shape up in Perth? And it looked to me that Perth traded the players they got from Almonte in the Barr and Davis trade. New coach trying to livin things up? And they got two protects from next season from Stitt. Could work out well for Perth next year?

hockey91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2014, 12:22 PM
Highstic

Transition

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Agreed. Bottom end JrA players are not going to have a big impact in JrB. Doesn't work that way anymore.
My observation is that many of the Jr "A" players that choose to drop down or are sent down to Jr "B" assume the skill level at B is such that they can carry the play themselves. This isn't necessarily true in most cases and it can be very disruptive to a team's chemistry if they chose not to move the puck. A good coach will recognize this problem quickly and those that correct it are successful in the end. The entitlement that some of the senior players feel they have towards more ice time should be earned and not based on where they played last year, or their age. Christmas always elevates the speed of the Jr "B" league when the oversized rosters at the A level are trimmed, there is no denying that though. IMO some of the top Jr "B" teams in the City could beat the lower end Jr "A" teams on a good day, so making a blanket statement that Jr "A" is faster is dependant on which teams you are referring to. Top end A programs are impressive, but there are a few out there that really struggle.

Highstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2014, 12:23 PM
2pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchltier1fan View Post
There still is a big difference in quality of play, especially speed, between the two leagues. I do not know of any established Jr A guys that switch to Jr B who are surprised by the quality of play or find it better than expected. Jr B is still fun hockey to watch and has some good players but not nearly as skilled as Jr A.
I will agree with you that the speed at Jr.A is and should be faster than at Jr.B. I think the point that was being made is that in most cases any player coming down from Jr.A to Jr.B might be a 3rd liner and most likely a 4th line player with their respective team. They won't make a significant impact to any Jr.B team that will ultimately turn that Jr.B team into a contender. We have to remember that there are many players that choose to play Jr.B that would fit in real nicely with a Jr.A team but choose not to play because of school and or work.

2pp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Highstic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pp View Post
I will agree with you that the speed at Jr.A is and should be faster than at Jr.B. I think the point that was being made is that in most cases any player coming down from Jr.A to Jr.B might be a 3rd liner and most likely a 4th line player with their respective team. They won't make a significant impact to any Jr.B team that will ultimately turn that Jr.B team into a contender. We have to remember that there are many players that choose to play Jr.B that would fit in real nicely with a Jr.A team but choose not to play because of school and or work.
Totally agree

Old
11-12-2014, 01:44 PM
Stittsvillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchltier1fan View Post
From my seat in the stands it's more about structure than speed and skill. IMHO it makes the junior b game a lot more fun to watch some times.

Stittsvillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2014, 08:45 AM
EpicNeilTime

Looks like Riley Hennigar has signed with OTW. Had 3 points last night.

EpicNeilTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2014, 12:58 AM
shiftycanuck
Habby Habitants

It looks like things are going to end up very tight in the Valley Division this season as Arnprior is rolling as they finally have a full lineup in and goaltender Dominic Plaschy seems to have found his form . Four straight wins, outscoring opponents 23-7.

Renfrew is on a 3 game slide but they will turn it around as they have too deep of a lineup not to, goaltending will be the only question there.

Stittsville ended their skid after defeating Renfrew 3-2 on Friday night and surely will get things rolling again.

Shawville.... yes Shawville.... a team who was always an afterthought brings goals in bunches and works harder then any other club in the division.

Almonte.... they just need to keep the margin close between 4th and 5th.

Perth... will compete for the 5/6 spot.

shiftycanuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2014, 09:56 AM
HawksFanForever

Totally agree with you here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highstic View Post
My observation is that many of the Jr "A" players that choose to drop down or are sent down to Jr "B" assume the skill level at B is such that they can carry the play themselves. This isn't necessarily true in most cases and it can be very disruptive to a team's chemistry if they chose not to move the puck. A good coach will recognize this problem quickly and those that correct it are successful in the end. The entitlement that some of the senior players feel they have towards more ice time should be earned and not based on where they played last year, or their age. Christmas always elevates the speed of the Jr "B" league when the oversized rosters at the A level are trimmed, there is no denying that though. IMO some of the top Jr "B" teams in the City could beat the lower end Jr "A" teams on a good day, so making a blanket statement that Jr "A" is faster is dependant on which teams you are referring to. Top end A programs are impressive, but there are a few out there that really struggle.
Do not kid yourself with JR B Hockey as I have watched both and would rather watch JR B over JR A as it has allot more hitting and grity hockey that you do not always see in JR A.

HawksFanForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2014, 10:40 AM
Rangersfan21

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFanForever View Post
Do not kid yourself with JR B Hockey as I have watched both and would rather watch JR B over JR A as it has allot more hitting and grity hockey that you do not always see in JR A.
Thanks for the laugh!

Rangersfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2014, 11:13 PM
hockey91

Does the eojhl honor players who reach 300 points? Just looked into it and it looks like Barr is only 2 points away from it at 298. 148 goals with 150 assists in his years in the league. Seeing that I believe they play tomorrow night he could reach that total.

hockey91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2014, 01:22 AM
bartsky

looks like Stittsville is on a roll again, will they go on a 10 game win streak now???

bartsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2014, 10:01 AM
Highstic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsky View Post
looks like Stittsville is on a roll again, will they go on a 10 game win streak now???
Suspect 10 in a row may be tough, however, this team sure has played through some real adversity. Despite a short bench last night, the Rams managed a buzzer beater for the OT win over a deep bench for OJC. JC coach blew a gasket, and received a travesty of the game for his antics. Rams showed they are deep in talent despite the injuries and sickness that have plagued the team all season. Once these guys are all health again, this team could go far. Couvrette was unbelievable between the pipes for Stittsville, and to be fair Mollet-Hill played quite well in net at the other end. It will be an interesting last half of the season in the Metro/Valley Division for sure.

Old
11-21-2014, 09:12 PM
eyeinthesky
Rookie User

I think owgn did well in picking up brian ridgely,as did casselman Vikings getting mclean.not sure what the deal was in Athens with those two.mclean was an effective aero 2 years ago and ridgely last year with gan.conversely Athens got 2 d-men soubliere from Prescott and a 6:2 d-men from napanee in ferland.so will have to c how it plays out.might be good for all.

eyeinthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 12:38 AM
shiftycanuck
Habby Habitants

A month ago the Arnprior Packers were 4-9-0-0.... completely underachieving.... well....1 month later... and holding an 11-9-0-0 record it looks like they have found their game.

shiftycanuck is online now   Reply With Quote