HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#34 |New York Islanders vs. Philadelphia Flyers | Mar 28 | 7 PM | W F/SO 4-3

Old
03-29-2013, 08:52 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
I was a few rows back from where Nielsen took the faceoff, and it did look like he put his hand on the puck when he was down on the ice.

Really not going to get on the officials though, especially given Vis's blatant boarding of Giroux a few minutes before that which didn't get called.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:04 AM
stranger34

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Ironically, when I look at that, I think Fransy DID know better.

Seriously, the puck was advanced with the 3-4 inches of the end of his stick. It's like he made a concentrated effort not to move that puck with his hand.

Now, I can't tell if the puck makes some form of physical contact with the side of his hand, but judging from the replay, the ref/linesman certainly couldn't see that either. At this point, it looks like Toronto has beaten into the refs that if a hand is ANYWHERE NEAR THE PUCK during a face-off, send the guy to the penalty box.

Which I'm finding to be really ridiculous. It's also clearly in conflict with the ruling in which a handpass is allowed in one's own zone.

Whatever... Hopefully it's something that Toronto caught and sends a memo out about.

As mentioned above, I felt the refing was awful over the last 5 minutes of the third, starting with Visnovsky's check-from-behind on Giroux.

Agree. At the moment, I just don't know what purpose Boulton serves. It looks like the staff doesn't know what purpose he serves either. He can't do anything with the puck, his checks are harmless, and I can't remember the last time he was in a fight, much less a real battle throwing bombs.
I'm pretty sure he got the better of Asham when they fought which was nice.

I also think his presence kept both Neil and haley in check in recent games vs the sens and Rangers.

Notice that Philly was also pretty well behaved last night since they had no one to match up with carkner or Boulton

I think there is a role for him on this team and it is being utilized. I think he should dress in 3 more games:

Bruins, Rangers, Leafs

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:20 AM
VT Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceAce View Post
I was a few rows back from where Nielsen took the faceoff, and it did look like he put his hand on the puck when he was down on the ice.

Really not going to get on the officials though, especially given Vis's blatant boarding of Giroux a few minutes before that which didn't get called.
I thought the same about Nielsen until they showed the replay. He put his hand on it not once, but twice during that sequence.

VT Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:29 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie21 View Post
We'll need David Volek
for some reason, Grabner reminds me of Volek. I can just see him flying in on the wing and ripping one over Vokouns(only bc hes left handed) glove.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 09:33 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstash19 View Post
no way. the 2nd goal was terrible. nabokov made his move way too early. grandpa knuble scored on him effortlessly.
only issue i had with the Knuble goal was that Nabby didnt go hard enough with the poke-check/stacked pads. If he throws his stick out to the knob instead of holding it in its normal position, he probably gets the puck. Thats a play Brodeur has done to perfection for the past 20 years. Nabby just got beat, it happens. That goal was on Hickey, who had a bad game...BUT AMAC was even worse.

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 10:52 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Ironically, when I look at that, I think Fransy DID know better.

Seriously, the puck was advanced with the 3-4 inches of the end of his stick. It's like he made a concentrated effort not to move that puck with his hand..
Yeah, but he can't even be putting his hand down near the dot. Everything is too close together, and he's a main target.

Which is to say that he has no business taking that draw.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:00 AM
JTforPres2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by isles31 View Post
only issue i had with the Knuble goal was that Nabby didnt go hard enough with the poke-check/stacked pads. If he throws his stick out to the knob instead of holding it in its normal position, he probably gets the puck. Thats a play Brodeur has done to perfection for the past 20 years. Nabby just got beat, it happens. That goal was on Hickey, who had a bad game...BUT AMAC was even worse.
Thought Vis was pretty damn terrible for at least the first two periods as well.

JTforPres2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:12 AM
KyleBailey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTforPres2012 View Post
Thought Vis was pretty damn terrible for at least the first two periods as well.
I thought all of our D played poorly, except maybe Streit if you exclude his penalty in the first.

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:25 AM
DeanCrandall

They praised Hickey and his plus 5, and then he continued to make mistake after mistake. Pleased with the two points considering how all our D played.
Not often you see Moulson back checking to bail us out.
And if not for the effort of the forwards and extra effort of Colin, we would be talking of who to sell this week.
Altho I think we should still sell Boyes, slipping into 8th and facing the Penguins round one doesnt seem like an extended season more then a few games.

DeanCrandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:30 AM
Islanderfan17

These 2 points were so important. If by some god damn miracle we could end the Pittsburgh streak tomorrow then that would be HUGE for this team as that is considered one of the only "unwinnable" games for the rest of the way. The Rangers have a lot of games coming up against teams they suck against, now is the time to strike.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:53 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
These 2 points were so important. If by some god damn miracle we could end the Pittsburgh streak tomorrow then that would be HUGE for this team as that is considered one of the only "unwinnable" games for the rest of the way. The Rangers have a lot of games coming up against teams they suck against, now is the time to strike.
Law of averages says the Penguins have to lose at somepoint. One can only hope they have an off game and overlook us. All that being said I have a feeling they won't overlook us as much tomorrow as if we were bottom 5 int he league

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:55 AM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
I literally think if the Islanders beat the Penguins then that locker room is not only serious about the playoffs, but THIRSTY for it.

Last night was the first time all season the Islanders have strung together three wins. Putting together four, against the leagues biggest force, would be a big time win.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:59 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Law of averages says the Penguins have to lose at somepoint. One can only hope they have an off game and overlook us.
Pet peeve - not the law of averages. It's a feature of any series of chance events (equal to the product of the probablities of each event in the series).

The probability that the Penguins beat us this game considered alone is, unfortunately, quite high.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
03-29-2013, 12:02 PM
2ndGenIslander
Potvin's Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
I literally think if the Islanders beat the Penguins then that locker room is not only serious about the playoffs, but THIRSTY for it.

Last night was the first time all season the Islanders have strung together three wins. Putting together four, against the leagues biggest force, would be a big time win.
This. beating pitt tomorrow would probably be the biggest emotional win the team had since we drafted tavares. not to mention it would fuel us into the playoffs

2ndGenIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:04 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
Pet peeve - not the law of averages. It's a feature of any series of chance events (equal to the product of the probablities of each event in the series).

The probability that the Penguins beat us this game considered alone is, unfortunately, quite high.

Cheers,

Dan-o
It is a series of events though, this would be the 15th in that series.

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:12 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenIslander View Post
This. beating pitt tomorrow would probably be the biggest emotional win the team had since we drafted tavares. not to mention it would fuel us into the playoffs
Na, they would be emotionally spent, be over confident, and go on to lose 5 in a row.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:13 PM
JetsMetsIsles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenIslander View Post
I will legitimately lose my ***** if we beat Pitt tomorrow and end their 14 game win streak. Thats the kind of win that gives huge momentum and could really put us in great position for that 8th seed. Our schedule isn't all that difficult from this point on.

If you cant get up as a team for a game like this then you need to take a long hard look in the mirror. I expect some serious intensity.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:33 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsMetsIsles View Post
I will legitimately lose my ***** if we beat Pitt tomorrow and end their 14 game win streak. Thats the kind of win that gives huge momentum and could really put us in great position for that 8th seed. Our schedule isn't all that difficult from this point on.

If you cant get up as a team for a game like this then you need to take a long hard look in the mirror. I expect some serious intensity.
Exactly. Losing to Pittsburgh is not ok just because they have won 14 in a row. Playing a tough team is not an excuse. Hear me Cappy? Hopefully the coaches are preparing them correctly and not thinking this is one they can afford to lose. We need to ride this momentum as long as possible and not give a **** who we are playing. Just win.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:42 PM
fishstick

Winning streak Congrats to CMc!
Looking forward to the Pens game and excited to still be in the playoff race.

fishstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:13 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
It is a series of events though, this would be the 15th in that series.
Exactly. The joint probability of independent events is equal to the product of the probabilities of the events taken individually.

But it's a fallacy to take the joint probability and then apply it back to the individual events. That fallacy has a name; it's called the gambler's fallacy.

The 'law of averages' is not a probabilistic law (it's actually not a law at all). If anything, it reflects something having to do with the nature of the things being described in probabilistic terms, not with probability in general.

Last edited by Dan-o16: 03-29-2013 at 03:52 PM. Reason: removed signature
Old
03-29-2013, 03:07 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCrandall View Post
They praised Hickey and his plus 5, and then he continued to make mistake after mistake. Pleased with the two points considering how all our D played.
Not often you see Moulson back checking to bail us out.
And if not for the effort of the forwards and extra effort of Colin, we would be talking of who to sell this week.
Altho I think we should still sell Boyes, slipping into 8th and facing the Penguins round one doesnt seem like an extended season more then a few games.
Poor decision of where to put the puck by Hickey, but he was not given many options as the rest of the players were already at the bench making a very slow change. Hickey could have just pinned the puck instead but he was by himself.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 03:12 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleBailey12 View Post
I thought all of our D played poorly, except maybe Streit if you exclude his penalty in the first.
And yet the Islanders only gave up 1 even strength goal.

Also I am loving the energy and grit that Cizikas and McDonald are bringing night in and night out(I think both, plus Martin would be great playoff type of hockey players- but let's not get a head of ourselves). Their scoring is a big bonus also.

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote