HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XLIX

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2014, 12:29 PM
  #976
henchman24
#ImagineAvs
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huis Clos View Post
Do you honestly believe the physicality of the Czech league and the NHL are comparable?
Do you honestly believe that somebody who has played 658 professional games has more wear and tear than somebody who has 941?

henchman24 is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 12:33 PM
  #977
Huis Clos
Creamy Hamstrings
 
Huis Clos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ballarado
Country: United States
Posts: 5,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Do you honestly believe that somebody who has played 658 professional games has more wear and tear than somebody who has 941?
Absolutely. You want to compare apples and oranges here.


I guaran-*******-tee you if polled you wouldn't find a single player, coach or GM in any league that believes the level of physicality of the NHL is replicated in any other hockey league in the world. And that isn't intended to be some xenophobic rant on other leagues. They're just extremely contrasting styles.

Huis Clos is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 12:40 PM
  #978
henchman24
#ImagineAvs
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huis Clos View Post
Absolutely. You want to compare apples and oranges here.


I guaran-*******-tee you if polled you wouldn't find a single player, coach or GM in any league that believes the level of physicality of the NHL is replicated in any other hockey league in the world. And that isn't intended to be some xenophobic rant on other leagues. They're just extremely contrasting styles.
There is no doubt that the styles and leagues are different, but that doesn't negate nearly 300 more games played. Hockey is a violent and taxing sport no matter where it is played.

henchman24 is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 12:47 PM
  #979
kento19
@kento19
 
kento19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,444
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
There is no doubt that the styles and leagues are different, but that doesn't negate nearly 300 more games played. Hockey is a violent and taxing sport no matter where it is played.
Not gonna lie, but my 20 games of Junior B last year took a bigger hit on my body than the 100 games of beer league. And that's including the booze.

kento19 is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 12:49 PM
  #980
Hans Landaskog
Registered User
 
Hans Landaskog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 4,702
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Czech league looks almost faster than NHL. No defense and everyone just going 100%. Totally different league's for sure.
It's mostly stick Czechs in that league, some body Czechs, the occasional cross Czech. Good clean Czechs would be nice, I hate seeing dirty Czechs.

Hans Landaskog is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 12:49 PM
  #981
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 10,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huis Clos View Post
Absolutely. You want to compare apples and oranges here.


I guaran-*******-tee you if polled you wouldn't find a single player, coach or GM in any league that believes the level of physicality of the NHL is replicated in any other hockey league in the world. And that isn't intended to be some xenophobic rant on other leagues. They're just extremely contrasting styles.
It's a fair comparison insofar as a lot of people thought Hejda was done, or at the very least had his best playing days behind him. Now at 35 he's probably playing his best hockey.

And again, Girardi is playing a lot better lately. His rough start could be attributed to a number of things, quite possibly adjusting to a new system under Vigneault. Hejda admitted he had trouble at the start of the season adjusting to Roy's system, and it showed in his play.

Av-merican is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 12:50 PM
  #982
chet1926
Registered User
 
chet1926's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 3,719
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I think Girardi is more like Orpik than he is Scuderi, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't take the risk... in FA.

In a trade? Hell no.

It's not like we're only risking cap hit/dollars when we discuss guys like Scuderi, Hejda, etc... we're risking good young talent we'd have to move in either roster players or picks.

I can't justify the Avs making that kind of move right now when the farm isn't exactly stacked and we're not yet contenders. In 1-2 years? Perhaps. But this year we just want to win a round, which means we don't need to make a massive trade unless it is in our favor to do so.
If the proposed deal of Girardi and JT Miller for McGinn, Barrie/Elliott and Wilson is the actual deal the Avs have to make it. Yes Girardi is a UFA at years end, but you have to take the risk that he'll re-sign. He is only 29, and he is a solid work horse dman, like Hejda, that makes us instantly better.

JT Miller ends up being every bit as good as McGinn and is younger. Wilson is pretty much garbage at this point and has no value to us moving forward.

So basically the only young piece you give up for an established workhorse dman is Barrie or Elliott, Barrie would be a bigger loss, but neither has shown they will be anything more than middle pairing guy with some offensive flair. There is a good chance that neither of them amount to anything more than a bottom pairing guy because both don't handle physical play very well.

Avs would be very stupid to make not to make the proposed trade. It makes us better going forward without giving up any core pieces.

chet1926 is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 12:54 PM
  #983
Colorado Avalanche
Registered User
 
Colorado Avalanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Lieto
Country: Finland
Posts: 15,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Landaskog View Post
It's mostly stick Czechs in that league, some body Czechs, the occasional cross Czech. Good clean Czechs would be nice, I hate seeing dirty Czechs.
Czech goes with a lot things, huh?

Colorado Avalanche is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 12:56 PM
  #984
kento19
@kento19
 
kento19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,444
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Landaskog View Post
It's mostly stick Czechs in that league, some body Czechs, the occasional cross Czech. Good clean Czechs would be nice, I hate seeing dirty Czechs.
what references did you Czech to get this information?

kento19 is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 01:00 PM
  #985
Hans Landaskog
Registered User
 
Hans Landaskog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 4,702
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
Czech goes with a lot things, huh?
yup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kento19 View Post
what references did you Czech to get this information?
Czechipedia

Hans Landaskog is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 01:01 PM
  #986
Freudian
luck paper scissors
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 26,825
vCash: 50
Girardi as a UFA is easier to buy than Girardi as a rental and then trying to get him as a UFA.

Players who played in the East their whole career tend to get used to sleeping in their own beds after many away games and won't even consider playing in the West. No idea if Girardi is one of them, but he wouldn't be a slam dunk to re-sign with Avs should they trade for him. On the other hand Avs should be attractive simply because the future is bright.

Freudian is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 01:03 PM
  #987
kento19
@kento19
 
kento19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,444
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Landaskog View Post
Czechipedia
It Czechs out! ✓

kento19 is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 01:55 PM
  #988
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 10,628
vCash: 500
Czechita Banana.

Wait, I'm doing this wrong.

Av-merican is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 02:05 PM
  #989
kento19
@kento19
 
kento19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,444
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Czechita Banana.

Wait, I'm doing this wrong.
You should have Czeched the rules first.

kento19 is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 02:34 PM
  #990
Teuras
Registered offender
 
Teuras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,239
vCash: 50
Czech yourself before you wreck yourself!

Teuras is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 02:45 PM
  #991
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 17,147
vCash: 50
I know I'm reading into this too much, but Chambers asked Roy today if Mitchell would be playing one the 4th line and Roy refused to answer. Said he hadn't decided yet, which I found suspicous because Roy always seems to know where he wants to play guys in advance. Even knew the lines he wanted to try the day MacKinnon was drafted.

Spidey sense is telling me a forward is getting traded soon. They have an awful lot of wingers.

Foppa2118 is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 02:49 PM
  #992
hockeyfish
Registered User
 
hockeyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Back in the FoCo
Country: United States
Posts: 5,495
vCash: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I know I'm reading into this too much, but Chambers asked Roy today if Mitchell would be playing one the 4th line and Roy refused to answer. Said he hadn't decided yet, which I found suspicous because Roy always seems to know where he wants to play guys in advance. Even knew the lines he wanted to try the day MacKinnon was drafted.

Spidey sense is telling me a forward is getting traded soon. They have an awful lot of wingers.
I get that sense too, but I have a hard time seeing them trade someone without 1st seeing Tangs and PAP play some games. Although PAP didn't look bad at all in his 1st game back.

hockeyfish is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 02:50 PM
  #993
Tigervixxen
Registered User
 
Tigervixxen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 6,930
vCash: 50
I think Chambers asked if he'd center the fourth line and Roy said he could play wing too. Roy was a bit coy about Tanguay and I don't think I heard him ask about Guenin but Chambers wrote that his status is uncertain too. I just feel like Roy wants to hold strategy to the vest sometimes. Maybe he does it more after a loss.

Tigervixxen is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 03:11 PM
  #994
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 17,147
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huis Clos View Post
That's an extremely poor analogy. Hejda didn't start playing regularly in the NHL until he was 28 and at 35 only has 513 games of wear and tear. Gigardi broke into the league at 22 and already has played more games than Hejda with 540.
This is a ridiculous line of thought. So Hejda's 400+ games prior to the NHL were so easy on his body, they should be completely discounted, and aren't at all comparable to Girardi's "brutal" NHL career up until this point where he's only missed four games after his rookie year?

Hejda looks like he could play another 2-3 years at a fairly high level, and this is at age 35 and nearly 1000 professional games. The fear of a 29 year old Girardi's game falling off the map is way overblown.

Foppa2118 is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 03:13 PM
  #995
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 17,147
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
I think Chambers asked if he'd center the fourth line and Roy said he could play wing too. Roy was a bit coy about Tanguay and I don't think I heard him ask about Guenin but Chambers wrote that his status is uncertain too. I just feel like Roy wants to hold strategy to the vest sometimes. Maybe he does it more after a loss.
Yea but he dodged the question. The Roy we've seen all year since being hired would know exactly where he wanted to play Mitchell when Tanguay gets back. Center, wing, 4th line, 3rd, 2nd line. He knows, just doesn't want to say because there could be a trade coming. That's my hunch anyway.

Foppa2118 is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 03:45 PM
  #996
RockLobster
Moderator
Beatles Guru
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 10,608
vCash: 905
So I decided to ask this Fred Poulin more today...for his credit he's not backing down.

I asked him why we should believe that he's not just another "Hockeyyyy Insiderrr" and he responded with "because I rarely post rumors, even more so about other teams" and he definitely acknowledges that he's a Habs fan.

But he's not backing away from it, so who knows...should be an interesting next few days/weeks headed towards the Olympic break and Trade Deadline.

RockLobster is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 04:27 PM
  #997
henchman24
#ImagineAvs
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
So I decided to ask this Fred Poulin more today...for his credit he's not backing down.

I asked him why we should believe that he's not just another "Hockeyyyy Insiderrr" and he responded with "because I rarely post rumors, even more so about other teams" and he definitely acknowledges that he's a Habs fan.

But he's not backing away from it, so who knows...should be an interesting next few days/weeks headed towards the Olympic break and Trade Deadline.
The only thing that makes some sense in his whole rumor is that he maybe connected to some Habs people and I would assume some agents and scouts in the Quebec area. Dan Laperriere (one of our professional scouts) is from that area and his dad Jacques is a Hab legend. I'd say if he is hearing it from somebody in the organization it is Dan.

That said, I think he is full of crap.

henchman24 is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 04:37 PM
  #998
hockeyfish
Registered User
 
hockeyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Back in the FoCo
Country: United States
Posts: 5,495
vCash: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
The only thing that makes some sense in his whole rumor is that he maybe connected to some Habs people and I would assume some agents and scouts in the Quebec area. Dan Laperriere (one of our professional scouts) is from that area and his dad Jacques is a Hab legend. I'd say if he is hearing it from somebody in the organization it is Dan.

That said, I think he is full of crap.
Either that, or he has some sort of Roy connection. But probably just full of crap. Or passing along something someone else full of crap said.

hockeyfish is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 04:43 PM
  #999
Freudian
luck paper scissors
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 26,825
vCash: 50
No one said a word about the Tanguay trade before it happened. No one said a word about the Talbot trade before it happened. No one said a word about Avs being interested in Benoit.

When Avs really do something, the lid is on.

Freudian is offline  
Old
01-23-2014, 04:47 PM
  #1000
henchman24
#ImagineAvs
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
No one said a word about the Tanguay trade before it happened. No one said a word about the Talbot trade before it happened. No one said a word about Avs being interested in Benoit.

When Avs really do something, the lid is on.
That really goes for most teams. Though it is usually known that certain players are being shopped. MDZ was known to be shopped for a long time, but going to Nashville was a surprise.

henchman24 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.