HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Halak Traded to St. Louis for Lars Eller & Ian Schultz

Closed Thread

Old
06-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Hugo Sham

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I have no problem in getting Eller in a trade. Obviously no problem whatsoever. As far as Schultz is concerned, go back and you'll see I wanted him in the draft he was in. Also said I'd see him doing better in that role that what Conboy could be doing. That remains to be seen.

But the main and only big problem I have is now the expectations on Price. That's all. But that is a BIG all.

If goalies has so little value.....even with the money Halak would be asking, why wouldn't you keep both goalies....and really let either one come on top? Isn't that greater than just saving some money for a big question mark in net? And I mean that even if we would have traded Price instead.

But with Price in net, people will just wait for him to be bad to get on his back. People are people. You'd think that Gainey, with how he made Price his man before, and now Gauthier had forgotten that they are in Montreal.....

I just find it funny to see some people calling fans for being emotional....Geez, isn't that what this game is all about? How about being shocked by a news that nobody expected? We're even not allowed to be? About the guy that made it possible to reach a round we've never reached in 17 years?
the key will be to give him a good D. subban is a start, now sign hamhuis or volchenkov and we'll be fine

Old
06-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Eller might make the habs next year. Ian Schultz is a good prospect. A type of player the habs need. A big player who's tough and has some skill. He's also a righty.

Old
06-17-2010, 08:44 PM
Bieber fever

what is the point of singin plekanec........I mean eller is a offensive player . I don't want him play on a 3rd line (with moen and lapierre) behind plekanec and gomez for the next 4 years.

Old
06-17-2010, 08:45 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

If Eller is truly ready, I'd still rather trade the Kostitsyns to EDM for Penner than sign Frolov, as the trade would free up some cap space and the Kos would be out of a scoring line job anyway, and are a distraction, and can't play a checking role. Then maybe sign Taylor Pyatt to a short term deal to play with his bro, and re-sign Moore to be the third line center, and possibly be a security blanket if Eller were to faulter.

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Penner-Eller-Cammy
Lapierre-Moore-Moen
Pyatt-Pyatt-White/Stewart/etc

Old
06-17-2010, 08:45 PM
RE-HABS

This is how stupid Leaf fans are, there are some Leaf fans saying that this trade makes the Kessel trade not look so bad...how idiotic and brainwashed is that fan base?

Old
06-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
What do you think Eller's role will be next season? Do you think the Habs are considering not signing Pleks and going after a winger?
I absolutely cannot wish that.....How about the contrary? Possible that Eller becomes a winger? How about they view Eller has the AKost they wish he'd become? All reports indicates that they want to see Plekanec back. And I totally agree with them. Plekanec needs help. He can't carry a team. But well surrounded, this guy is a definite keeper.

I love when people keep saying how we need big centerman...but when they are asked who they think of they say Carter and then....nothing else. We have who we have. And Plekanec is the best we can do. Sign him and surround him better.

Start Eller on his wings, he'll get his confidence going....and if you want to move him to the centerman position once Gomez's contract is up, you do it. Or, you keep him on the wings. But I don't see putting the pressure on Eller right away by making him already the #2 centerman in Montreal by letting Plekanec go.

I believe in Eller. But let's take our time a little shall we....

Old
06-17-2010, 08:47 PM
OneSharpMarble

Eller was one of the few options we had because Cammalleri used up all the letters for his jersy.

Old
06-17-2010, 08:51 PM
Fire Brunet*

they piss me off on canadians facebook page

Old
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe View Post
I'm disapointed, this thread seriously lacks emo and over-reactions.

When we traded Hackett and he ended up in Boston someone actually said we just handed Boston the Stanley Cup.

Although comparing this trade to the Roy trade was pretty good I still expected more.
I like your style. You should post more often.

Old
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
I absolutely cannot wish that.....How about the contrary? Possible that Eller becomes a winger? How about they view Eller has the AKost they wish he'd become? All reports indicates that they want to see Plekanec back. And I totally agree with them. Plekanec needs help. He can't carry a team. But well surrounded, this guy is a definite keeper.

I love when people keep saying how we need big centerman...but when they are asked who they think of they say Carter and then....nothing else. We have who we have. And Plekanec is the best we can do. Sign him and surround him better.

Start Eller on his wings, he'll get his confidence going....and if you want to move him to the centerman position once Gomez's contract is up, you do it. Or, you keep him on the wings. But I don't see putting the pressure on Eller right away by making him already the #2 centerman in Montreal by letting Plekanec go.

I believe in Eller. But let's take our time a little shall we....
Personally I would be afraid of moving Eller to the wing and mess him up.....too many players have had that happend to them and had a hard time with it.....Pouliot included....

Old
06-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
Personally I would be afraid of moving Eller to the wing and mess him up.....too many players have had that happend to them and had a hard time with it.....Pouliot included....
Well you sign Pleks, and there's no spot for him on the top 6. He then becomes a 3rd C playing with Pyatt and Moen. Not sure I'd give that to him to start his confidence as well. Though it might be a start they'd be willing to give him. But then, he plays great. He surprises, he's up for a top 6 role 'cause again AKost or Pouliot struggles...what do you do? Trade Gomez? You can't. Trade Plekanec with his new 6 years 5M$ contract? Will you have any takers?

If you want him in a top 6 role....you either have to take the bet that he's ready RIGHT NOW and let Pleks go. Or you play him to the wings. Or, like I said, you move him to the centerman position once Gomez contract is up.

Old
06-17-2010, 08:55 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Or trade Kos bros for Penner, re-sign Pleks, and sign Taylor Pyatt.

Penner-Pleks-Cammy
Lapierre-Gomez-Gionta
Pouliot-Eller-Moen
Pyatt-Pyatt-White/Stewart

I switch Pouliot and Laps up to add a grinder to a scoring line, and provide Eller with some some skill to play with.

Old
06-17-2010, 08:56 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
He is listed as a LW/C, so I think he plays both. Also, on the youtube of his first goal in St. Louis he was playing wing.

Old
06-17-2010, 08:59 PM
RE-HABS

Ellers 1.3 million cap hit is a lot nicer than that of the 3 - 3.5 million Halak will get.

2 million allows us to sign a decent back up and have another half million to spread to Pouliot and Pyatt.

Old
06-17-2010, 09:00 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
If you want him in a top 6 role....you either have to take the bet that he's ready RIGHT NOW and let Pleks go. Or you play him to the wings. Or, like I said, you move him to the centerman position once Gomez contract is up.
Or you make sure you sign Pleks to a tradeble contract. That way you don't lose an asset, and you put Eller in the best position to develop, and then deal Pleks if Eller is the real deal.

Old
06-17-2010, 09:01 PM
couris

Eller should start as the 3rd centermen on the team, playing with Pouliot and another gritty winger with some skills, maybe lapierre.

Old
06-17-2010, 09:02 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Funny. This trade makes me feel like a Montreal Expos fan again.

Old
06-17-2010, 09:04 PM
Guillermo

Send a message via AIM to Guillermo Send a message via Yahoo to Guillermo
Hey guys,

I just wanted to point out that François Gagnon, who follows the Habs closely all year long, mentions in his latest blog entry (rough translation):

"All things being said, Price wanted to stay in Mtl. He said it at the end of the season, admitting that things are tough when they're not going well, but that it was really worth it when things go well.

In the case of Halak, he was not fond of the pressure in Montreal. Not at all. I am convinced that he is happy, really happy to arrive in a city where hockey is far from being a religion. In a city where expectations are less suffocating and where he will be able to work discreetely. [...]

Halak did not want to stay in Montreal at all costs. I would even say that he left, running, and that he is relieved. "

Link

I find this is really interesting as this is definitely a different perspective from what we've heard so far.

Old
06-17-2010, 09:05 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Or you make sure you sign Pleks to a tradeble contract. That way you don't lose an asset, and you put Eller in the best position to develop, and then deal Pleks if Eller is the real deal.
Yup. Most def like this option.

Quote:
Or trade Kos bros for Penner, re-sign Pleks, and sign Taylor Pyatt.

Penner-Pleks-Cammy
Lapierre-Gomez-Gionta
Pouliot-Eller-Moen
Pyatt-Pyatt-White/Stewart

I switch Pouliot and Laps up to add a grinder to a scoring line, and provide Eller with some some skill to play with.
You won't get Penner for the bros and any grinder with you pair with Gomez and Gionta completely dilutes that line.

Old
06-17-2010, 09:08 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
You don't trade your MVP for "decent".

I hope this works out for the best, but I am far from optimistic. All the pressure in the world is on Price now that we've sacrificed our most popular player for him. His mental strength has been his biggest weakness so far and that's going to be tested big time.

Good luck to Halak in St. Louis. Great player and I wish him well with a team that actually has a little bit of respect for him.
That was supposed to be his strength coming in Montreal.....what???

Old
06-17-2010, 09:09 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Plekanec is 2 weeks to become a UFA. Please tell me how he'll sign a "tradeable contract"? He's not going to sign a rebate contract for the pleasure of signing it.

Tell me what's a tradeable contract for you.

Closed Thread