Jets Goaltending General Discussion Vol. 2

Old
Yesterday, 02:47 PM
surixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWSAA View Post
Not with Clitsome, Stu, and Thor.
Clotsome was well worth his contract, it's a pity he got hurt though.

surixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 03:09 PM
kcin94

Quote:
Not with Clitsome, Stu, and Thor.
Nothing wrong with Clitsome's 3 years. He was a serivcable 5-6 guy until his injuries.

Stu I will give you

Thorburn was fine. His contract was never bad, just how he was used until this past year.

kcin94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 03:38 PM
jetswin

Quote:
Way too long. Typical Chevy move.
Completely agree, may have to settle for him but he certainly doesn't get it done in the play-offs. Give him 1 year like Calgary...let him earn his keep...if he doesn't, show him the steel toed boot!

jetswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 03:41 PM
Bob E

A three year deal for Elliott is a bit too long, imo, but may be the sweetener to get him to sign.

I'd go as high as $3 mill for 3 yrs, but hopefully he signs for less.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 03:44 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by objectiveposter View Post
Calgary remembers the days of goalies like Mike Vernon and Mika Kirpusoff. Elite goalies that can carry a team in a deep Stanley Cup run. Elliott is not that type of goalie. Mike Smith has proven that when he is on top of his game he is elite; he is one of the most athletic goalies in hockey and he carried the Coyotes to the conference finals. Is it a bit of a gamble for Calgary to bring in Smith? Sure it is...but Calgary is the type of organization that values what a goalie with elite potential can provide so they are going for it. Meanwhile in Winnipeg almost everyone is content with mediocre goalies with limited upside.
Elliott carried St. Louis to the conference finals last year. Smith is 3 years older, and is still living off his season and playoffs in 2011/12. That's 5 years ago.

That's not going touching on the fact that Smith has a less than positive reputation regarding his attitude toward his teammates.

Gosh, I sure am disappointed that we missed out on Smith. Burke does have a long proud history of getting quality to his teams.

Old
Yesterday, 03:47 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
Completely agree, may have to settle for him but he certainly doesn't get it done in the play-offs. Give him 1 year like Calgary...let him earn his keep...if he doesn't, show him the steel toed boot!
Well he took the Blues to their first conference finals in i don't know how long the year before last sporting a .922 so I think it's a bit unfair to only look at this past season as justification that he can't get it done in the postseason.

Old
Yesterday, 03:53 PM
angrymnky

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Every goalie looks elite at the top of the game at this level.

I have a hard time understanding how you think Elliot is mediocre when he has superior stats to a bunch of more well known names out there.

His .917 (Thats includong his down year this year) over the last 4 seasons is equal to MAF, Mason and Reimer

Why are you just looking at his last four seasons? That's only around 160 games. Over his career it's .913.

angrymnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 04:00 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymnky View Post
Why are you just looking at his last four seasons? That's only around 160 games. Over his career it's .913.
Because his career is massively skewed by a horrible start in Ottawa when he shouldn't have been a starter. It's like pointing to the career sv% of Steve Mason, which looks horrible because of his time in Columbus, even though the guy is clearly a quality starter now. Heck, same thing with Fleury and his years until he started seeing a sports psychologist.

Romang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 04:01 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymnky View Post
Probably because it's close to his last 3000 shots which seems to be the statistical interval most use to as a representative sample for goalies. Also I put much more weighting in recent play then what a player did 8ish years ago.

Old
Yesterday, 08:41 PM
nobody important
Won'tGetFooledAgain

If a 32 year old goalie accepts a 2 year deal, that suggests to me that he is losing confidence in himself, and will jump at the first offer. I don't want a goalie that is low on confidence. He should insist on and receive a 3 year deal because he thinks...

nobody important is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 09:10 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody important View Post
If a 32 year old goalie accepts a 2 year deal, that suggests to me that he is losing confidence in himself, and will jump at the first offer. I don't want a goalie that is low on confidence. He should insist on and receive a 3 year deal because he thinks...

Not sure this quite makes sense. Wouldn't taking a shorter term suggest more confidence in yourself in that you will still be a marketable goalie a couple years from now? But Elliott will no doubt want longer term but this is balanced against actual salary taking into account best fit. It's a buyers market and a lot of these guys will just be looking for opportunity at a fair price.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 09:12 PM
uTurris
We the True North

I said this once and I'll say it until it hopefully happens... I want Halak.

uTurris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 10:50 PM
10Ducky10

So, Overhardt is Elliot's agent?

10Ducky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:02 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Ducky10 View Post
So, Overhardt is Elliot's agent?
Yup. Love the headline.

Quote:
Jets-bound? Goalie Brian Elliott spotted in Winnipeg
Quote:
The agent for pending unrestricted free agent goalie Brian Elliott says there are a number of teams interested in his client’s services.

But Kurt Overhardt of KO Sports Inc. said on Monday he couldn’t comment if the Winnipeg Jets were one of those clubs, just days before opening of free agency in the National Hockey League.
http://www.winnipegsun.com/2017/06/2...ed-in-winnipeg

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote