HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

goalie equipment changes

Old
06-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
goalie equipment changes

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2403...headlines_main

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 07:34 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
That's fine, it's a much more viable solution than bigger, stupidly shaped nets.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 07:54 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
That's fine, it's a much more viable solution than bigger, stupidly shaped nets.
i guess vancouver will need another goalie if they mess with the nets

Old
06-11-2008, 08:46 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Man we really have nothing to talk about.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2008, 08:49 PM
Artyukhin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
Man we really have nothing to talk about.
yes wait until the goalie on your team sports a 3.50 goals against.

i cant wait to see it .

Old
06-11-2008, 11:59 PM
Magic33

this is ridiculous. goalie equipment isnt a problem. they wont attract more fans in the us because a goalies pads have been shrunk by half an inch. so stupid

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 08:28 AM
zzoo

In Journal de Montreal today, it said that up to 12 active goalies are consulted. Sébastien Giguère even brought his own equipment ... to prove that he's not cheating. Brodeur agrees.

How much do you think that the pad will be reduced to ? Is it 11" or 12" now ? I'll be happy if it's reduced to 8". What else can be shrunk ? It would be great if the chest/shoulder protector is reduced too.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 08:41 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
In Journal de Montreal today, it said that up to 12 active goalies are consulted. Sébastien Giguère even brought his own equipment ... to prove that he's not cheating. Brodeur agrees.

How much do you think that the pad will be reduced to ? Is it 11" or 12" now ? I'll be happy if it's reduced to 8". What else can be shrunk ? It would be great if the chest/shoulder protector is reduced too.
They won't ever get goalies to agree to shave that, because it's actually protective equipment. Glove size, blocker size, and pad size are really the only things you can make smaller.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Pascal

And somewhere in the world Jean-Sebastien "Michelin Man" Giguere is praying they don't remove the airbags inside his jersey.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:31 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
And somewhere in the world Jean-Sebastien "Michelin Man" Giguere is praying they don't remove the airbags inside his jersey.
LMAO

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:38 AM
AD

The average hand is about 3" by 6"

The average goalie glove is about 6" by 12"

I think that's an example of what they're talking about when they say: "Extra padding that isn't needed to protect the goalie".

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 10:43 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Somehow people think that more goals = more excitement.

But when the biggest sport in the world is Soccer which ends up with a lot of 0-0 and 1-0 games. How can we say that's the truth?

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 12:02 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

But when the biggest sport in the world is Soccer which ends up with a lot of 0-0 and 1-0 games. How can we say that's the truth?
Because the NHL is a North American sport, where the most popular sports are high scoring (at least, relative to the NHL).

God knows I agree with you. I have no problem with the current scoring level. One of the best games this year (easily the best Montreal game IMO) was that 1-0 win over Boston in game 4.

In the regular season (aside from "the comeback") it was the 2-1 win over the Devils.

Old
06-12-2008, 12:11 PM
zzoo

Quote:

I agree that more goals don't necessarily mean a better game. BUT let's say we have two very boring games, in one game the score is 1-0 whereas the other game is 6-4. Which one do you prefer ? Similarly, we have two excellent games, one game is 2-1, the other is 6-5. I prefer 6-5 game. How about you ?

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 12:27 PM
habsdude

It should also be mentionned that with the size of goalie equipment today, it makes it extremely difficult if not impossible for players to equal or better the statistics that players put up before. I mean most scoring records aren't realistically attainable at all with the amount of net these goalies cover and I think it would be fun to see what guys like Crosby, Ovechkin, Heatley, Kovalchuk, etc could do given a more fair chance to score compared with the 80s and early 90s for example. I, personally, would like to see these superstars have a chance to challenge some NHL scoring records, which isn't the case right now.
I'm all for these equipment changes, and i know its been repeated again and again, but the purpose of the goalie equipment is to protect, not block the net.

habsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Cuka

Any changes shouldn't increase the excitement, but I'll bet they'll decrease the disappointment.
I can't count how many teams I've seen a player come in with an awesome scoring chance, only to realize there's no way in hell he can put the puck past the Goodyear blimp that's found its way in front of the opposing net. It's frustrating. I'd rather see more of those chances result in goals.

Cuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 01:27 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
I want the pads to be used for what they are intended, protecting the goalie. They should find a way to have maximum goalie protection, with the least amount of padding, this way the goalies stay safe, and they don't have extra padding for no reason. I have no idea how to do this, but I am sure someone who wears the equipment(or wore) should have some sort of idea.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Magic33

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsdude View Post
It should also be mentionned that with the size of goalie equipment today, it makes it extremely difficult if not impossible for players to equal or better the statistics that players put up before. I mean most scoring records aren't realistically attainable at all with the amount of net these goalies cover and I think it would be fun to see what guys like Crosby, Ovechkin, Heatley, Kovalchuk, etc could do given a more fair chance to score compared with the 80s and early 90s for example. I, personally, would like to see these superstars have a chance to challenge some NHL scoring records, which isn't the case right now.
I'm all for these equipment changes, and i know its been repeated again and again, but the purpose of the goalie equipment is to protect, not block the net.

its a different game now than it was then. Goalies stood up the entire time and were not even close to as good as the goalies are today, regardless of what equipment they used. Goalies are just extremely good these days and they are great athletes. Also, Players have been allowed to use the latest in technology with their sticks that fire pucks at goalies at blistering speeds, why do the goalies have to reduce their equipment size. Look at how many times players miss the net during the course of a game, its ridiculous. Scoring a bigger issue then just the size of goaltending equipment. If there was a more free flowing game with less trap, scoring chances would go up thus creating more goals. Other things can be done to increase scoring chances. Reducing equipment size isnt the answer, and its not fair to goalies who have played the game this way their entire life.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 01:39 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
its a different game now than it was then. Goalies stood up the entire time and were not even close to as good as the goalies are today, regardless of what equipment they used. Goalies are just extremely good these days and they are great athletes. Also, Players have been allowed to use the latest in technology with their sticks that fire pucks at goalies at blistering speeds, why do the goalies have to reduce their equipment size. Look at how many times players miss the net during the course of a game, its ridiculous. Scoring a bigger issue then just the size of goaltending equipment. If there was a more free flowing game with less trap, scoring chances would go up thus creating more goals. Other things can be done to increase scoring chances. Reducing equipment size isnt the answer, and its not fair to goalies who have played the game this way their entire life.
There's nothing stopping goalies from using the latest in technology to protect themselves.
I think you mistake a reduction in equipment size with safety. They're not the same thing.

Old
06-12-2008, 01:54 PM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
I agree that more goals don't necessarily mean a better game. BUT let's say we have two very boring games, in one game the score is 1-0 whereas the other game is 6-4. Which one do you prefer ? Similarly, we have two excellent games, one game is 2-1, the other is 6-5. I prefer 6-5 game. How about you ?
The answer in both cases is "It depends". Low scoring games can be more exciting than high scoring ones and vice versa. The key is to have the variety. I don't want to see every game finish up 6-5 any more than I want to see every game finish up 2-1. By the early 2000s, we were dangerously close to the latter, and 6-5 games were very rare events. The first post-lockout year was great for variety of scores, but it's been backsliding.

So if the league needs to keep tweaking things to keep a healthy variety of game scores, I'm all for it.

optimus2861 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 03:25 PM
habsdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic33 View Post
I am completely aware that goalies have gotten significantly better, technique-wise. However, you can't deny the steady increase in the equipment size. Goalies wouldnt be forced to reduce their equipment size had they not kept using bigger and bigger pads. You talk about the latest technology, goalie equipment can still use new technology without simply increasing the size of the bulking padding.
Its true that the game has changed in relation to the flow and defensive tactics, I wont argue with that. Its just that so many of the shots taken on quality scoring chances today would have scored or at least had a much better probability of scoring before simply because there were more holes and space. And i know goalies have gotten bigger over time, but the equipment size to goalie size ratio is just ridiculous.

habsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 05:32 PM
mert

Quote:

Well said. Personally, high scoring sports tend to bore me. I love that in hockey and soccer, a goal is a HUGE deal.

When will they stop trying to ruin the game to draw in disinterested Americans? The game is beautiful and great the way it is.

(That said, as long as they don't get ridiculous and start slimming down actual protective equipment, I have no problems.. Just want to make sure our giant boy Price is taken care of! )

mert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Beakermania*

They can still make restrictions on pnats and chest protectors....

The restrictions would be based on the measurements of the goalie in question....

A guy like J-S Giguere is much smaller than a guy like Carey Price. They should not look close to the same size with their equipment on....

There is no way that Giguere needs a chest protector that is as big as the one he is using... it is taking up space in the net, and is not just being used for protection.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:02 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mert View Post
Well said. Personally, high scoring sports tend to bore me. I love that in hockey and soccer, a goal is a HUGE deal.

When will they stop trying to ruin the game to draw in disinterested Americans? The game is beautiful and great the way it is.

(That said, as long as they don't get ridiculous and start slimming down actual protective equipment, I have no problems.. Just want to make sure our giant boy Price is taken care of! )
I get what you're saying, but remember the NHL isn't "hockey". The NHL has a product to sell so they try and gain interest of the market it plays in. Sure the WORLD loves soccer and the games are exciting with the 1-0 marks, but the NHL isn't marketing it's brand of hockey on the WORLD, but those disinterested Americans who want to see high scoring sports(Baseball, Basketball, Lacrosse(not sure how much interest this sport has, but the scores are rather high)).

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2008, 09:08 PM
mert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
I get what you're saying, but remember the NHL isn't "hockey". The NHL has a product to sell so they try and gain interest of the market it plays in. Sure the WORLD loves soccer and the games are exciting with the 1-0 marks, but the NHL isn't marketing it's brand of hockey on the WORLD, but those disinterested Americans who want to see high scoring sports(Baseball, Basketball, Lacrosse(not sure how much interest this sport has, but the scores are rather high)).
Yeah, and I understand that, but it doesn't mean I have to like it! My dad was a rabid Habs fan who grew up watching Richard play, so I was raised with that era more than the one I actually grew up in, if that makes any sense... As sacreligious as it is, to me turning hockey into a business is almost like selling religion - it happens but it's just wrong.

mert is offline   Reply With Quote