HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How do the Blues acquire a #1C

Old
04-21-2017, 05:57 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite View Post
What about trading for a prospect that hits big-time - it worked out pretty well getting Brett Hull from Calgary.

Any interest in Trent Frederic - Bruins prospect (and St. Louis boy) who had a very good freshman year at Wisconsin.
Brett Hull is more like Seguin or Drouin, he was an NHL'er when we traded from him.

I'd love to get Trent Frederic, but that ship has sailed. I don't think the Bruins would consider moving him unless they got a crazy overpayment.

Quote:
Another trade possibility - Alexander Dergachyov of the LA Kings
Dergachyov projects as a winger, and I've only seen him there for his bit-part appearances for SKA this season. Typically being centred by Kablukov.

I agree with your premise, but you are suggesting targeting players at a stage where they are the most difficult to get. Teams don't tend to trade promising prospects unless they are getting an established NHL player in return.

We need to identify the players going into the draft and not be afraid to be aggressive in our attempts to move up into the 10-20 range if there is someone on the board that we like. Getting a 1-for-1 type deal, like Rundblad for the 16th overall, isn't going to be common. People praise Armstrong for that deal when it was an extremely easy deal to make, scouts tell him Tarasenko is better than Rundblad... easy. Adding to Rundblad to get Tarasenko is where it gets more difficult, and I wonder if Armstrong has it in him to be that aggressive.

Or target players like Hull, who are in the NHL but have questions around them; Sam Reinhart and Jonathan Drouin are probably as close to that as there is just now.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 09:23 AM
execwrite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Brett Hull is more like Seguin or Drouin, he was an NHL'er when we traded from him.

I'd love to get Trent Frederic, but that ship has sailed. I don't think the Bruins would consider moving him unless they got a crazy overpayment.

Dergachyov projects as a winger, and I've only seen him there for his bit-part appearances for SKA this season. Typically being centred by Kablukov.

I agree with your premise, but you are suggesting targeting players at a stage where they are the most difficult to get. Teams don't tend to trade promising prospects unless they are getting an established NHL player in return.

We need to identify the players going into the draft and not be afraid to be aggressive in our attempts to move up into the 10-20 range if there is someone on the board that we like. Getting a 1-for-1 type deal, like Rundblad for the 16th overall, isn't going to be common. People praise Armstrong for that deal when it was an extremely easy deal to make, scouts tell him Tarasenko is better than Rundblad... easy. Adding to Rundblad to get Tarasenko is where it gets more difficult, and I wonder if Armstrong has it in him to be that aggressive.

Or target players like Hull, who are in the NHL but have questions around them; Sam Reinhart and Jonathan Drouin are probably as close to that as there is just now.
Okay, I'm for that. Let's trade some surplus talent for a #1C prospect.

Here's another name - Jack Roslovic, Winnipeg

The skinny: The skilled centre has made a smooth transition to the pro game after making the jump following his freshman season at Miami University. He's got great vision, is adept on the power play and is working hard to round out his 200-foot game and might get his first NHL look before the season is over. Also helped the United States capture a gold medal at the world junior hockey championship in January.

execwrite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 09:27 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Okay, I'm for that. Let's trade some surplus talent for a #1C prospect.

Here's another name - Jack Roslovic, Winnipeg

The skinny: The skilled centre has made a smooth transition to the pro game after making the jump following his freshman season at Miami University. He's got great vision, is adept on the power play and is working hard to round out his 200-foot game and might get his first NHL look before the season is over. Also helped the United States capture a gold medal at the world junior hockey championship in January.
That'd be an awfully Bluesy acquisition Roslovic was drafted 25th overall in 2015. The Blues traded that pick as part of the Ryan Miller deal, which Buffalo then traded to Winnipeg in the Kane/Bogo deal. He's definitely going to be a good player and I'd be all for going after him(though I don't know if Winnipeg would trade him in the division), but it would be a pretty Bluesy situation all around.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 09:32 AM
PiggySmalls
#2 in YEO's office

vCash: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lehterasenkshow View Post
We need our own 1st, 2nd, and 3rd to do the more expensive deal, and we don't have that this year.
Offer sheet window isn't until after the draft so any picks lost will be the 2018 draft. According to capfriendly Blues still have all of theirs. He is a franchise center that the new GM of Buffalo would get raked over the coals for if first thing he does is lose Jack Eichel. That said he would be totally worth a 9-9.5 contract. I hate he is viewed as a consolation prize for not winning the lottery.

PiggySmalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 10:27 AM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

vCash: 6378
No point even considering an offer sheet for Eichel, it won't happen.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 12:56 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiggySmalls View Post
Offer sheet window isn't until after the draft so any picks lost will be the 2018 draft. According to capfriendly Blues still have all of theirs. He is a franchise center that the new GM of Buffalo would get raked over the coals for if first thing he does is lose Jack Eichel. That said he would be totally worth a 9-9.5 contract. I hate he is viewed as a consolation prize for not winning the lottery.
There is no conceivable contract the Blues could offer Eichel in an offer sheet that wouldn't be matched by Buffalo. Its not even worth spitting over it. Its a no-brainer move for any GM to match it.

Better chance at luring Tavares, and I think that is highly unlikely. I bet he re-signs before UFA status for a long-term extension.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 01:36 PM
stl76
Optimist & Homer

vCash: 800
I think our best bet to acquire a 1C is to draft and develop one (long shot), and our second best bet is to trade for a struggling young player and hope he can turn it around (risky).

Honestly tho, with the way the Blues are built currently, I think it may be a better idea to try to get a couple high end 2Cs vs trying to acquire one 1C. With our talent and depth, it would take an unmitigated disaster for us to draft in the top 10 any time soon. There is always a chance of a guy falling or striking gold in the later rounds, but let's not kid ourselves...its a long shot. Instead of wringing our hands and wishing for a 1C, two/three legit 2Cs + elite wingers & Dmen + good goaltending seems like a much more realistic recipe given the current make up of our team.

An important point, that I think sometimes gets lost here, is that Stastny is already low end 1C/very high end 2C. Last year Stastny put up 49 pts in 64 games, that's on pace for 63 pts over 82 games. This season he put up 40pts in 66 games, on pace for 50pts over 82 games. Those are 1C numbers in todays NHL folks. Perhaps on the low end, but still bonafide 1C numbers. Stastny has also been solid if unspectacular defensively IMO while being great on the PP and on the dot. The issue is injuries, and they are a legitimate concern because Stastny is not getting any younger and seems to always miss 10-20 games per year. If Barbashev can grow into another legit 2C, then we will be in good shape for the immediate future. If we can draft and develop another solid 2C in the next few seasons and/or acquire another good 2C while Stastny is still an effective player then I think we will be in great shape despite not having a legit 1C.

Bottom line: our best bet at acquiring a real 1C (draft and develop) is a pretty big long shot and our second best option (trade for struggling young player) is very risky. While we shouldn't fully abandon the search, maybe it would behoove us to focus more on the realistic goal of building a great team around a very good-but-not-great center core. I think three 2Cs along with great/elite wingers, defense, and goaltending (plus a lot of luck) MAY be enough to win a cup. I can't point to a lot of examples of teams that have won a cup with said recipe, but all it takes is 1.

stl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:12 PM
MissouriMook
A Mook Among Men

It will be interesting to see what happens with Buffalo in the draft. With Murray and Bylsma now out of the picture, the situation with Reinhart is a little cloudier. Still, if the Sabres win the lottery or draft high enough to land one of the premium centers in the draft, it might compel them to be open to the idea of moving Reinhart for help elsewhere on the roster. Not that I think Reinhart is or will be elite (I think he is more in the low-1, high-2 mold like Stastny) but he might be attainable and would be an upgrade over the likes of Lehtera and Berglund as a potential 1C to insert between Schwartz and Tarasenko. I'm just not sure if we can meet the price they would likely be charging. It would likely cost us at least Edmundson and a really good prospect, and we may even need to throw in a premium pick if the bidding gets too high. I'm just not sure he's worth all that, despite how high I was on him in his draft year.

MissouriMook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:13 PM
Ranksu
Crotch Academy ftw

vCash: 50
Fire Doug Armstrong that will increase our chances by 100% to get 1c.

Ranksu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:41 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranksu View Post
Fire Doug Armstrong that will increase our chances by 100% to get 1c.
I hear this a lot out of you and no replacements are ever mentioned. Who is taking his spot who will definitely acquire a 1C? What pieces is he moving in order to acquire this mythical being?

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:49 PM
MortiestOfMortys

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
I hear this a lot out of you and no replacements are ever mentioned. Who is taking his spot who will definitely acquire a 1C? What pieces is he moving in order to acquire this mythical being?
Pronger.... and Pronger.

MortiestOfMortys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:59 PM
Ranksu
Crotch Academy ftw

Quote:
I'm just throwing here, Lombardi. He knew how and what had to be done to build Stanley Cup contender and winner.

Ranksu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 02:59 PM
Dbrownss

Quote:
The new GM will go into roster managment and move players around. He will have his pick of the litter. Then he will start a new career with "current rosters"......wait, thats not how it works.

Dbrownss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 03:08 PM
Louie the Blue
Because it's a trap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranksu View Post
I'm just throwing here, Lombardi. He knew how and what had to be done to build Stanley Cup contender and winner.
Lombardi would be great if the Blues were doing a full rebuild and starting from scratch.

However, they aren't doing that. And the one aspect that I can't really complain about Army is his contract negotiations. There aren't really any bad contracts on the Blues. Meanwhile, the Kings are stuck with Brown and Gaborik.

Louie the Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 03:16 PM
MortiestOfMortys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie the Blue View Post
Lombardi would be great if the Blues were doing a full rebuild and starting from scratch.

However, they aren't doing that. And the one aspect that I can't really complain about Army is his contract negotiations. There aren't really any bad contracts on the Blues. Meanwhile, the Kings are stuck with Brown and Gaborik.
And Quick. And I have a feeling those Carter and Kopi contracts aren't going to feel too good towards the end either, even if they're pretty good right now (especially Carter). And also paying Mike Richards not to play hockey until 2023.

MortiestOfMortys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2017, 04:01 PM
J Leads the Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie the Blue View Post
And the one aspect that I can't really complain about Army is his contract negotiations. There aren't really any bad contracts on the Blues.
*looks at Lehtera contract*

*looks back at this post*

*looks back at Lehtera contract*

J Leads the Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 01:26 AM
bluetuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Leads the Way View Post
*looks at Lehtera contract*

*looks back at Lehtera contract*

If you think Lehtera's deal is bad, take a good honest look at what the Kings have.

Dustin Brown has topped 30 points once since 2012 and gets paid 5.8M a year for another 5 years.

Gaborik has put up 43 points total over the last two seasons and is signed for 4 more years at 4.8M.

Quick is 31, played just 17 games this year, and is signed for 6 more seasons.

Lehtera is overpaid for the next two years, but it's not a crippling deal like a lot of contracts out there.

bluetuned is offline   Reply With Quote