HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What's the Blue Jackets' trajectory?

Old
Yesterday, 12:32 PM
EdwardG
Let's Dance!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagelin1381 View Post
I think they're set defensively and in net.. Lots of forward scoring depth, though I do think they need to somehow acquire a top line center if they want to be serious contenders.. I know Wennberg is young and they have PLD coming up, so we will see
Accurate assessment.

EdwardG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 12:33 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Cookies View Post
They need a better coach and gamebreaker on offense.
First off I agree they need a gamebreaker on offense, maybe two or three plus Bob has to be better if they want to go deep into the playoffs.

When Tortorella was hired, I was unhappy about it and I think most Blue Jackets fans would have agreed with you. The reality of John Tortorella doesn't match up at all with the popular opinion about "Torts."

I don't know what he was really like in previous coaching stops, but the players in Columbus seem to really like playing for him. He has done the opposite of what I would think of a typical ball buster type. He has eliminated game day skates, given the team lots of days off and has been pretty friendly with the media.

More importantly, he really changed the expectations of the Blue Jackets. They now play expecting to win, and a first round exit does not make them happy.

I never expected to say this but John Tortorella was a great hire.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 12:52 PM
stevo61

Like any young team some guys will fall off a bit from this year and some guys will grow. The organization knows the defense is they key to this team moving forward and thats why they went out and got such a respected D coach in Brad Shaw. Torts and Shaw will have so many options with the D next season depending on if any are moved in offseason deals. If Murray sticks around hopefully he isnt wasted again for another year.

Murray-Jones
Johnson-Savard
Werenski-Carlsson/Nutivaara

Werenski and Johnson could even be switched but those are 3 pairs capable of playing a lot of minutes and a lot of situations.

The forward group is solid but nothing crazy. Saad and Wennberg need to take steps this year. Wennberg needs to grow but Saad doesnt havent any excuses, its just time to put in the work and become the player many of us believe he can be. Im not sure what happens with Gagner, guess it depends on his contracts demands. I also expect the team to ask Hartnell to waive his NMC and if he refuses then will likely be a buyout candidate. Also as others have pointed out Dubois could be really important in all of this.

Saad-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Foligno-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Jenner-Dubois-Anderson
Calvert-Sedlak-Karlsson

Could be a rough idea looking at contracts but not really thinking too much about the expansion draft yet or any offseason moves

I still think thats a playoff team moving into next year

stevo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 12:57 PM
stevo61

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
First off I agree they need a gamebreaker on offense, maybe two or three plus Bob has to be better if they want to go deep into the playoffs.

When Tortorella was hired, I was unhappy about it and I think most Blue Jackets fans would have agreed with you. The reality of John Tortorella doesn't match up at all with the popular opinion about "Torts."

I don't know what he was really like in previous coaching stops, but the players in Columbus seem to really like playing for him. He has done the opposite of what I would think of a typical ball buster type. He has eliminated game day skates, given the team lots of days off and has been pretty friendly with the media.

More importantly, he really changed the expectations of the Blue Jackets. They now play expecting to win, and a first round exit does not make them happy.

I never expected to say this but John Tortorella was a great hire.
I tend to agree. He certainly has his limitations as a coach but this team needed to do so much growing and maturing which I thinks he has helped with in a big way. I also agree with those saying the team will probably need a different coach to be a legit contender but Torts is helping lay the groundwork that this team really needed and can grow on

stevo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 01:14 PM
mikaH

If they have bumpy start to next season, things could get ugly. Torts goes ham, players get traded, staff gets fired.

mikaH is offline   Reply With Quote