HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Race for the Metro win: We're #2! We're #2!

Old
04-04-2017, 11:33 AM
Shady Machine

vCash: 500
Individually the players are as fast or faster than last year's team. It comes down to health and execution.

I think some forget how much better both Sheary and Rust are this year. Last year, they were useful role players that stepped up in big moments. This year, Sheary is a legit top line winger and Rust has emerged as a go to top 9 with enough skill for the top 6. Add in Guentzel and the Pens are just flat out better, at least on paper. Some players have regressed and chemistry is questionable outside of the 1st line, but when you have the injuries they have had, it's tough to establish chemistry.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 01:25 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Individually the players are as fast or faster than last year's team. It comes down to health and execution.

I think some forget how much better both Sheary and Rust are this year. Last year, they were useful role players that stepped up in big moments. This year, Sheary is a legit top line winger and Rust has emerged as a go to top 9 with enough skill for the top 6. Add in Guentzel and the Pens are just flat out better, at least on paper. Some players have regressed and chemistry is questionable outside of the 1st line, but when you have the injuries they have had, it's tough to establish chemistry.
Sheary and Guentzel are much better but we lack HBK playing like it did so it probably balances out.

Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 01:29 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
Sheary and Guentzel are much better but we lack HBK playing like it did so it probably balances out.
I agree yet you have people acting like this team isn't the team of last year. In my view, we are about the same if we get healthy and better if everyone performs up to their standards. On paper, this is a better roster. In execution, we will see.

Of course, I also think teams like Columbus are better than some posters think.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 01:31 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
Malkin was also pretty rough and had a stretch where he went 16 playoff games with one goal. That line was more Kunitz and Rust, than Malkin TBTH.

If he plays with Kessel, I doubt his production is that poor.

We'll see how his injury hampers him though, obviously.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 08:49 PM
66-30-33

I'd say Pens most likely secured home ice for G1 against Columbus tonight. If Sens win then Leafs will have to go 0-3-0 to end the season and TB 3-0-0. TB are out, they had their chance but lost 4-0 to Bruins.

66-30-33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 08:52 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-30-33 View Post
I'd say Pens most likely secured home ice for G1 against Columbus tonight. If Sens win then Leafs will have to go 0-3-0 to end the season and TB 3-0-0. TB are out, they had their chance but lost 4-0 to Bruins.
Agreed, TB had to win tonight.
The way Boston is playing, I would not mind them finishing 8th and play the crapitals

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 08:56 PM
66-30-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Agreed, TB had to win tonight.
The way Boston is playing, I would not mind them finishing 8th and play the crapitals
It will be Ottawa probably. Would be awesome if it was the Bruins, they would give them a rough ride before bowing out in the 1st round.

Old
04-04-2017, 09:10 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I agree that the Jackets probably will run out of steam and their lack of elite players will catch up with them.
Bobrovsky is almost certainly going to run out of steam. Almost all of his previous playoff minutes have followed his previous career highs in all regular playing time categories (games, starts, minutes) and almost all of them have been bad. So what did CLB do? They went out and gave him even more GP, GS and MP.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 09:10 PM
DegenX
Global Moderator
\_(ツ)_/

DegenX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 09:19 PM
SirBrad

Boston finishes out the season against the Sens and Caps so that's kind of interesting. I still think it's very possible they face the Caps. Sens and Leafs each have a game in hand over Boston.

I's love to see a Bruins/Caps first round. That could be really interesting.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 09:24 PM
Al Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
Bobrovsky is almost certainly going to run out of steam. Almost all of his previous playoff minutes have followed his previous career highs in all regular playing time categories (games, starts, minutes) and almost all of them have been bad. So what did CLB do? They went out and gave him even more GP, GS and MP.
I thought they'd used him too much even by mid season, but he'd been holding them together lately despite all the work. Until the Caps game, he had been lights out. Tonight, he was OK; he had no chance on Rowney's or Jake's goal; Dumo's goal was off a BJ, but Bob didn't play it particularly well. Maybe he could have had Horny's goal. On the other hand, he didn't have to make a lot of really tough saves.

I'm not going to write off the Jackets based on tonight's performance. They've got a lot of weapons and if they get Werenski and Murray back they'll be a challenge. But yeah, their chances pretty much hinge on Bob continuing to be really good, and his workload could finally catch up to him.

Al Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 09:29 PM
cygnus47

Pretty well confirmed now that we will have the toughest possible gauntlet to run.

2nd best record in the NHL and what a reward!

cygnus47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 09:39 PM
66-30-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnus47 View Post
Pretty well confirmed now that we will have the toughest possible gauntlet to run.

2nd best record in the NHL and what a reward!
Toughest but not impossible. Hopefully Hawks lose within the first 2 rounds.

Old
04-04-2017, 09:44 PM
Corvidae

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPucksGiven View Post
I feel the Oilers remind me of the Pens of 2007. Basically a few high end forwards who are playing really well and that's it.
Definitely some major similarities there.

Not related, but Lucic is a scum bag. It will be fun to watch him knuckle drag himself after people who hit McDavid because a lot of people are going to go for McDavid. That would be item 1 on the agenda, and it will be tough for him because he's never played with an actual star.

Corvidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 09:52 PM
madinsomniac

I think McDavid is going to have a 89 lemieux moment...
where the flyers really couldn't contain him...

he had 8 goals and 5 assists through 5 games and the Pens had a 3-2 lead... then the flyers started mugging lemieux at every chance and he scored 1 point in the next 2 games, both losses...

in my mind it was the conception of the abomination that would grow into the dead puck era... but McDavids skill set has reached that plateau where the refs start ignoring penalties against him.. seems like the right scenerio....

madinsomniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2017, 11:56 PM
Elite goaltending

I'm worried what if CBJ will start scoring again?...They have that team balance and depth. They're in some scoring drought right now and I don't know what their issues is, but for the most of the season all their lines were producing fairly well.

Elite goaltending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2017, 12:01 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite goaltending View Post
I'm worried what if CBJ will start scoring again?...They have that team balance and depth. They're in some scoring drought right now and I don't know what their issues is, but for the most of the season all their lines were producing fairly well.
They are a great team and their biggest flaw is showing right now. But that doesnt' take away from them being a great team. Listen.. if you get to the dance, you are a potential threat. There are no easy roads to the Cup anymore. Just respect 'em, stick to our game, and we have a great shot to win. Speed, skill, and more speed.

Get involved in a toughness match, and it will be a long series. Tonight is an example of how to play the Penguins way. 4th line set the tone big time. Murray has to hold down the fort. Let's go.

Every single team is a threat, though. I remember people saying we'd walk through Tampa. Come on, now.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2017, 12:04 AM
Elite goaltending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Malkin was also pretty rough and had a stretch where he went 16 playoff games with one goal. That line was more Kunitz and Rust, than Malkin TBTH.

If he plays with Kessel, I doubt his production is that poor.

We'll see how his injury hampers him though, obviously.
Intresting how he finished 3 points behind the team lead and 1 point behind Conn Smythe winner then? Must be all Kunitz and Rust.... To refresh your memory(you probably saw it differently tho), Kunitz didn't done anything in the first two rounds except being his usual turnover machine self (at this point of his career) and if he wasn't dragging his linemates down, he wasn't bringing anything positive anyway. Kunitz was playing good only in Tampa series (starting from game 3 to be exact, he wasn't a positive factor in the first two games). He was ok in SCF, but he wasn't finishing and everyone remembers his pass on a wide open net. Rust wasn't playing with Malkin and Kunitz in the first two rounds(even though Geno and Rust had some random shifts together and produced some that way).
Malkin wasn't shooting much because he played with a huge brace on his arm and therefore was pretty limited. But he played good two way hockey anyway and if he had someone better than Kunitz with him, he would have produced even more. He didn't look dominant, be he was playing darn good (and of course he's getting a lot less credit than he deservs, what's new).

Old
04-05-2017, 12:28 AM
Elite goaltending

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
They are a great team and their biggest flaw is showing right now. But that doesnt' take away from them being a great team. Listen.. if you get to the dance, you are a potential threat. There are no easy roads to the Cup anymore. Just respect 'em, stick to our game, and we have a great shot to win. Speed, skill, and more speed.

Get involved in a toughness match, and it will be a long series. Tonight is an example of how to play the Penguins way. 4th line set the tone big time. Murray has to hold down the fort. Let's go.

Every single team is a threat, though. I remember people saying we'd walk through Tampa. Come on, now.
I remember last time we played them, Folgino was playing in the bottom six and I thought how slow he was. Also, Cam Atkinson stood out in that game with great speed and skill. This time Folgino was on the first line with Dubinsky and Atkinson and that line didnt look good and Atkinson was noticeble in a negative way for them. Seth Jones didn't look good tonight too.
I think they have line up issues that fixable (similar to us, when Sullivan sticks with combos that don't work) so we differenetly need to be ready.

Agree, don't think it would be easy in any way, especially if they'll fix their scoring woes.