HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

2014 U-18 Ivan Hlinka Tournament Thread

Old
08-16-2014, 02:38 PM
Ray Ferraro

vCash: 500
10/11, I wonder how this would change against USA's best team.

Ray Ferraro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2014, 02:43 PM
Huffman

Who impressed?

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2014, 03:15 PM
Jeez
Jay Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffman View Post
Who impressed?
Lukas Jasek, Martin Weinhold, Jakub Zboril but overall the team for the Czech republic

Jeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2014, 03:36 PM
joey16

Today it wasnt our game, Canada was much better and absolutely desereved to win, outskated and outplayed us and was much better in physical play. It seemed to me like our guys were tired after that whole week but maybe it was just a feeling because Canada was so good. I wouldnt blame Vladar for the goals he gave up for sure but by his standards it wasnt his game. I really liked Hajek, Koblizek was good too. I was curious about Weinhold since he had been so productive but was pretty disappointed with him, some bad decision making and not impressive defensive game. But maybe it was one game thing. Anyway congratz to team Canada, well deserved victory here.

joey16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2014, 04:00 PM
Czechexpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolForumNamePending View Post
So this will be the third straight major U18 tournament the Czech Rep will be leaving with a medal... Can we take this as a sign that after some really lean years things are starting to turn around? Are these recent results due to the changes the association/clubs implemented a few years ag or just a coincidence? Either way its good to see the Czechs, at least for the time being, seem to be producing again.
96´and 97´ are the two strongest Czech classes in decade
we finally got excellent coach for U18 team, Jakub Petr has been doing fantastic job
Czech association did some good things as well

plenty of improvement still needs to be done

Czechexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2014, 04:13 PM
Plastic Joseph

97 is a very dominant class for Canada, much like 95. Even without McDavid it was easy to see that Canada would dominate the other countries.

Even if the other teams brought their best, they would be hard pressed to beat Canada this year. Adding McDavid alone would make up for anyone else the other teams could bring.

Plastic Joseph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2014, 10:50 PM
CoolForumNamePending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechexpert View Post
96´and 97´ are the two strongest Czech classes in decade
we finally got excellent coach for U18 team, Jakub Petr has been doing fantastic job
Czech association did some good things as well

plenty of improvement still needs to be done
So all things considered moving forward is there reason for mid and long term (cautious?) optimism or are things still looking sort of bleak?

CoolForumNamePending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2014, 07:57 AM
usascout1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Joseph View Post
97 is a very dominant class for Canada, much like 95. Even without McDavid it was easy to see that Canada would dominate the other countries.

Even if the other teams brought their best, they would be hard pressed to beat Canada this year. Adding McDavid alone would make up for anyone else the other teams could bring.
Disagree the USA could have brought u18 NTDP along with Hanifin and Werenski. None of the top players for USA were there. Add Hanifin, Matthews, White, Greenway, Bracco, Kirwin, Werenski, Tkachuk, Fitzgerald, Warren and more....USA hockey should change that rule and send the full NTDP team.

usascout1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by usascout1 View Post
Disagree the USA could have brought u18 NTDP along with Hanifin and Werenski. None of the top players for USA were there. Add Hanifin, Matthews, White, Greenway, Bracco, Kirwin, Werenski, Tkachuk, Fitzgerald, Warren and more....USA hockey should change that rule and send the full NTDP team.

Would love to see it. Maybe then we can get this sucker televised.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2014, 03:16 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by usascout1 View Post
Doesn't the US use the tournament to evaluation U18s who aren't part of the NTDP? I doubt they're interested in changing that.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2014, 04:37 PM
dsc75

How were the refs I don't know if anyone else mentioned them but were they fair? Biased towards the Czech team?

dsc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2014, 06:03 AM
joey16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc75 View Post
How were the refs I don't know if anyone else mentioned them but were they fair? Biased towards the Czech team?
I saw just the finals and thought they were fair there. When I read text report from some other matches I felt like they could be a little biased since our opponent mostly took more penalties but maybe it was because our team was good and we aren't really used to that. But really, can't say when I didn't see them.

joey16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2014, 10:49 AM
Jeez
Jay Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey16 View Post
I saw just the finals and thought they were fair there. When I read text report from some other matches I felt like they could be a little biased since our opponent mostly took more penalties but maybe it was because our team was good and we aren't really used to that. But really, can't say when I didn't see them.
highlight of the final match :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zShy...Fp9FGj5XNgmZYg

second for the czech team was the funny one...

Last edited by Jeez: 08-18-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Jeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 03:01 PM
SomeSortOfHockey

Zboril continues to impress, if he can control himself and not take stupid penalties then he could really become a special player. He has that zest to go along with his skill that will take him a long way. For those unfamiliar with him he is a very rough player that not only enjoys taking the body but destroying his opposition. A Slegr/Zidlicki clone, with a temper.

Also his name translates to "Demolished" ... fitting to say the least.

SomeSortOfHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 03:40 PM
HabLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plastic Joseph View Post

McDavid destroyed the U18 IIHF as a double underage a few years ago, this tourney would have been a joke for him and add the fact Canada was so deep this year and practically rolled the lines. Hard for someone to rip it up. Eichel at the same tourney had like 2 points vs. McDavids 15 or so. Eichel is also a year older.

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2014, 03:52 PM
HabLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
czechs destroying russia
Good thing Canada didnt play the Ruskies

HabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2014, 10:41 PM
sbtatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HejdasGonnaHate View Post
What about Jesse Gabrielle, thought he would be a lock. Is it citizenship stuff or is this another Josh Ho-Sang thing where Hockey Canada has character concerns?
He's got the character NHL teams will covet. He's 6', 214lbs, stands up for team mates, fights and scores. He's going to be a first rounder

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2014, 11:16 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
He's got the character NHL teams will covet. He's 6', 214lbs, stands up for team mates, fights and scores. He's going to be a first rounder
How would you compare him to Hawryluk at the same age? Gabrielle obviously has more size to him. I'm looking very forward to seeing more of him this year.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote