HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Couture vs Getzlaf vs Kopitar

View Poll Results: best player
Anze Kopitar 100 47.17%
Logan Couture 20 9.43%
Ryan Getzlaf 92 43.40%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-23-2013, 05:59 PM
  #101
Rem
I am a ham radio
 
Rem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: 4-LIFE
Country: United States
Posts: 3,535
vCash: 500
i totally homer voted for my boy, Couture. But yeah, its not easy to compare him to guys who've been in the league for 2x & 3x the amount he has.

But who's better now? Getzlaf.

Rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 06:06 PM
  #102
TheGooooch
HFBoards Sponsor
 
TheGooooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 17,815
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Kopitar has never finished a season on pace for 90 points. Getzlaf has 3 times.

Do you feel better now?
I can sleep now, the Internet has been righted

TheGooooch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 07:31 PM
  #103
Reclamation Project
LA to Tokyo
 
Reclamation Project's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 17,787
vCash: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Kopitar has never finished a season on pace for 90 points. Getzlaf has 3 times.

Do you feel better now?
And that has nothing to do with his point.

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 07:39 PM
  #104
AngelDuck
Registered User
 
AngelDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
And that has nothing to do with his point.
Did I say it does? I'm making my own point.

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 07:44 PM
  #105
Reclamation Project
LA to Tokyo
 
Reclamation Project's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 17,787
vCash: 592
As was I, but they were considered "excuses."

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 08:01 PM
  #106
AngelDuck
Registered User
 
AngelDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
As was I, but they were considered "excuses."
They were excuses. Mine was a fact that Getzlaf has finished 3 seasons on a 90 point pace.

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 08:13 PM
  #107
Reclamation Project
LA to Tokyo
 
Reclamation Project's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 17,787
vCash: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
They were excuses. Mine was a fact that Getzlaf has finished 3 seasons on a 90 point pace.
Pace is worthless.

I don't want all you Ducks fans thinking I'm trolling you because I'm not, nor am I intending to. I actually like Getzlaf and when he's on, he's definitely ON. A very dominant center with size.

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 08:19 PM
  #108
AngelDuck
Registered User
 
AngelDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
Pace is worthless.

I don't want all you Ducks fans thinking I'm trolling you because I'm not, nor am I intending to. I actually like Getzlaf and when he's on, he's definitely ON. A very dominant center with size.
He got injured. This year there was a lockout. Not his fault he couldn't score 90 those years, but he very likely would have. My main point is that he is substantially better than Kopitar offensively

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:42 PM
  #109
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 24,161
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
As was I, but they were considered "excuses."
Come on, RP. Let's be honest. They were excuses.

I mean absolutely no disrespect, but you weren't giving reasons why Kopitar is better than Getzlaf, or even why he's a great player in general. You were making excuses why he isn't better than he is, or at least why his stats aren't better. What you were saying is all hypothetical. It's all "well, what if..." and it's just a dead end.

When I think of reasons why Kopitar could be better than Getzlaf, it really begins with his defensive game. I think we can both agree that Kopitar is definitely the better player in his own end. That's also where I think it ends, because in my opinion Getzlaf's offensive game is clearly better, and I think Getzlaf has proven to be better at his best than Kopitar has at his. We could argue things like intangibles, but the bottom line for me is that a #1 center is going to spend most of his time in the offensive zone, and he is expected to put up points. It's a scoring role. Getzlaf does that better than Kopitar. If the difference in offense were closer, I think Kopitar would have a better argument over Getzlaf, and if the offense were equal, well, how could you not take Kopitar?

But I'm not going to argue hypotheticals, because I don't think a player should be ranked on what could, possibly, in the right circumstances, happen. At that point we're talking fantasy.

I'd also disagree that pace is worthless, when we're talking about a player who is consistently at that pace, whether he plays 82 games, or 60 games.

__________________
"Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice" -- Polonius
Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2013, 09:45 PM
  #110
avsman
Registered User
 
avsman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,471
vCash: 500
Getzlaf can control the game in a way the other two simply can't

avsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 01:59 AM
  #111
Reclamation Project
LA to Tokyo
 
Reclamation Project's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 17,787
vCash: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Come on, RP. Let's be honest. They were excuses.

I mean absolutely no disrespect, but you weren't giving reasons why Kopitar is better than Getzlaf, or even why he's a great player in general. You were making excuses why he isn't better than he is, or at least why his stats aren't better. What you were saying is all hypothetical. It's all "well, what if..." and it's just a dead end.

When I think of reasons why Kopitar could be better than Getzlaf, it really begins with his defensive game. I think we can both agree that Kopitar is definitely the better player in his own end. That's also where I think it ends, because in my opinion Getzlaf's offensive game is clearly better, and I think Getzlaf has proven to be better at his best than Kopitar has at his. We could argue things like intangibles, but the bottom line for me is that a #1 center is going to spend most of his time in the offensive zone, and he is expected to put up points. It's a scoring role. Getzlaf does that better than Kopitar. If the difference in offense were closer, I think Kopitar would have a better argument over Getzlaf, and if the offense were equal, well, how could you not take Kopitar?

But I'm not going to argue hypotheticals, because I don't think a player should be ranked on what could, possibly, in the right circumstances, happen. At that point we're talking fantasy.

I'd also disagree that pace is worthless, when we're talking about a player who is consistently at that pace, whether he plays 82 games, or 60 games.
Fair enough. Good post.

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2013, 04:37 AM
  #112
Phu
Registered User
 
Phu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,691
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie9 View Post
I don't think Thornton is on their level anymore.
well, you're wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie9 View Post
San Jose is Coutures team now, and rightfully so.
no, it's not.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie9 View Post
In saying that, for me its

Getzlaf
Kopitar

Couture
and this is why you are wrong to put couture in this comparison. thornton is still the best sharks player. and not just by a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
I like the fact that you choose Couture instead of Marleau or Thornton.

I took Kopi. But the funny thing is the votes are 8-0-8. Where are ya Sharks fans?
we're not voting because we would all vote for thornton. couture is a great young player but he is no joe thornton.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.