HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

The MLD 2013 CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL: Regina Capitals vs. Cornell Big Red

Old
09-16-2013, 10:46 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

vCash: 500
Cornell lacks top-6 quality glue guys (Lebedev is bottom-6 level) and there's no depth of scoring on the Big Red. The goaltending, defense and Bottom-6 forwards ought to make games close.

Regina in 4 or 5 games (OT). Think Colorado vs. Florida '96.

Congrats seventieslord.

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 10:31 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Cornell lacks top-6 quality glue guys (Lebedev is bottom-6 level) and there's no depth of scoring on the Big Red. The goaltending, defense and Bottom-6 forwards ought to make games close.

Congrats seventieslord.
The lack of depth scoring is what titled it in favor of Regina for me.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2013, 11:54 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Regina wins in 5 games

Stars:

1. Pete Peeters
2. Craig Janney
3. Roger Crozier

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 09-18-2013 at 11:57 PM. Reason: ****ed up 3 stars voting
TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 12:02 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Regina wins in 5 games

Stars:

1. Pete Peeters
2. Craig Janney

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 03:00 PM
seventieslord

Worst. Final. Ever.
Seriously though, that sucked. Thanks to those who votes, and I guess it’s nice to win my first MLD but I wish the last couple of series were based on more than 5-6 votes, and of course I wish I actually got to have an interesting/challenging final series.
My congratulations go to VanIslander for a good team and a good run. I’d also like to congratulate Dreakmur, Rob Scuderi and BillyShoe, who had what I considered great teams. Dreakmur’s Cornell squad could have easily beaten mine in the semifinals, had we had a different sampling of voters.
Me posting the Marchand/Sedin gif was not for the reason many may have thought. It wasn’t because I felt I was dominating or manhandling my opponent. I felt like I was competing and he wasn’t, and he was leaving himself prone. Watching Sedin and Marchand, I didn’t know whether I should feel embarrassed for the guy who wasn’t competing or defending himself, or for the guy who was needling and attacking a guy not interested in combat. It was just…… awkward. And uncomfortable.
I know what it’s like to not have the stomach for a battle. I get that way too, particularly if my life is busy. I don’t even want to look at a thread where I know I’ll have an hour worth of reading and replying to do, and sometimes don’t look for days to avoid seeing what was said, getting it lodged in my brain, and dwelling on it while not having the time to get in there and “right” whatever “wrong” is going on in there. But when it comes to the ATD/MLD I have to put that aside, man up and compete. The competitive aspect of this process is healthy and it encourages us to keep researching, which will result in the best players rising up the ranks over time, like they deserve. And it’s what we all know we’re signing up for when we join. We have an important duty here. We’re the Night’s Watch of hfboards.
See you all in the AAA.

seventieslord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2013, 03:05 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

In the end (after an extension and reminder PM), I got 7 votes for this series. The semifinals had 6 votes (VI's win) and 8 votes (Regina's win) - different numbers because GMs couldn't vote on their own series and the one series had co-GMs.

Old
09-19-2013, 07:00 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

I did commentary but sadly it didnt reflect the series outcome. I was a bit to specific I guess

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 01:16 AM
vecens24

Well this got a little out of hand I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post

Congrats seventieslord.
Please don't do this again. seventies gave a fair comparison of what his opinion of his team was. It was hardly a "BillyShoe" where he claims every single spot on his team is better (not that I'm criticizing this method all the time. If this is your opinion and it's defensible to a general audience that's fine). It was something where he claimed EIGHT of nineteen spots on his team were stronger. That's hardly the kind of thing that should be frowned upon here, and I'm disappointed that this series ended the way that it did: in a pissing match where someone sarcastically gave up in a final.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 08:48 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
I did commentary but sadly it didnt reflect the series outcome. I was a bit to specific I guess
Yeah, the only thing in your commentary I could have used was about the 2 goalies playing well. For some reason, you were the only one to vote Lala as one of the 3 stars (IMO, Lala is the best forward in this MLD, but it doesn't seem like a lot of people agree with that one).

Old
09-20-2013, 09:17 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Yeah, the only thing in your commentary I could have used was about the 2 goalies playing well. For some reason, you were the only one to vote Lala as one of the 3 stars (IMO, Lala is the best forward in this MLD, but it doesn't seem like a lot of people agree with that one).
Maybe because ppl dont watch old international games?

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote