HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pegula Press Conference, 10:00 a.m.

Old
04-22-2017, 11:53 AM
Royisgone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Or that Rivet's comments that Bylsma has no ability at all to communicate with his players was the issue, not between Murray and Bylsma but between Disco and the team.
Bylsma certainly seemed to have strange verbal communication skills, particularly at press conferences. He had that weird delay, that non-firing of synapses, that turbo lag of the brain thing happening. Total monotone. No energy or enthusiasm outwardly. Dull.

That may not reflect how he communicated with his players behind a closed door, it's just my observation of his public speaking typically after games. But his P/C act was not exactly what I would call impressive.

I know Rob Ray saw Bylsma in a similar manner; he commented on it several times during his pieces with Schopp and Bulldog on WGR. Rob probably saw a few different sides of Bylsma than I ever did, so his comments are perhaps more accurate as a result.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 12:00 PM
Sabre the Win
Sabres 4 Brisebois

ShowerThought: It wasn't really Eichel who got anyone fired, it should be noted if it wasn't for Hamilton running that leak that this maybe could have been avoided and Dan fired quietly behind closed doors.

Sabre the Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 12:50 PM
Randall Flagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by static80 View Post
You only fool yourself if you think this.
Pegula didn't inherent money, he earned it the old fashion way, by yard work and perseverance.
His company, East Resources, was his brainchild. His sweat, toil and tears.

Stop bashing the Pegulas. While not perfect and they male mistakes, their human. The good they've done for the WNY region far supersedes the mistakes they've made. Show patience.

The Sabres and Bills will be competitive again. People need to get off their high horses.
*squints eyes
*tightens grip on rake, forges on with spring cleaning

Randall Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 12:54 PM
HeartforReinheart

vCash: 861
I think Murray was childish and acted unprofessional. It is just a guess but I think we will hear stories come out as time goes on.

HeartforReinheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 01:03 PM
TalkingProuder

vCash: 137
I don't like how the Pegulas treated Murray on his way out. If you have an issue with him fire him. Don't attack his character. What is the benefit?

I am puzzled on Bylsma and Murray still. Under the Bills, the Pegulas hired the coach over the GM's recommendations when they hired Rex Ryan.

TalkingProuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 01:05 PM
pigpen65

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkingProuder View Post
I don't like how the Pegulas treated Murray on his way out. If you have an issue with him fire him. Don't attack his character. What is the benefit?

I am puzzled on Bylsma and Murray still. Under the Bills, the Pegulas hired the coach over the GM's recommendations when they hired Rex Ryan.
Ted Nolan says "Karma's a *****"

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 02:18 PM
Lessavyfav

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen65 View Post
For giving him millions of dollars coaching in a league he had no right to coach in.

Lessavyfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 02:20 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen65 View Post
Come on. Ted Nolan was given a job he never, ever would have gotten otherwise. He was paid handsomely. It was a thankless job, but that is what he signed for. He was fired exactly when he should have been. Too bad he was replaced with another lousy coach.

Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 02:38 PM
CrankyJay

Quote:

Can you bring me up to speed? What did they do to attack his character?

CrankyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 02:39 PM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartforReinheart View Post
I think Murray was childish and acted unprofessional. It is just a guess but I think we will hear stories come out as time goes on.
We are still waiting for word on what really happened with LaFontaine so I'm not sure we will ever find out.

Old
04-22-2017, 03:00 PM
HeartforReinheart

vCash: 861
Quote:

My god, professional sports personnel making millions of dollars and you are upset of hurt feelings?

HeartforReinheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 03:04 PM
CrankyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Finally watched. It clear to me Pegula does not like firing employees. It looks like it killed him to fire more people. I think Pegula connects to people and it's hard for him to move folks on.

But I also sense that his value should played into this decision more than anything. I don't think he liked how Murray operated, the lack of discipline in how the team finished the season, and probably the lack of communication between the players and Bylsma.

I've got confidence in Pegula.
I just find it strange he didn't come to that same conclusion before extending his contract.

I hope he learns to maybe wait a little longer before opening his wallet.

Old
04-22-2017, 03:52 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Not really sure where to post this given it applies to both the GM and coach threads, but the Hockey PDOCast - Dimitri Filipovic of Sportsnet's pod - did an episode with Joe Yeardon about the moves, and here are the highlights in no order:
  • Murray's firing was justifiable due to the state of the defense, especially the inability (or attempt) to find actual rotation players on the margins on top of not making major deals
  • Bylsma reverted to 2014 Pittsburgh form, when earlier in his career he was a more uptempo, defend by forechecking type of guy
  • Main coaching issues: stretch passes / flatfooted neutral zone breakout system, Gorges-Ristolainen, general need to reset Risto's usage
  • Murray won the O'Reilly and Kane trades to the degree that it impeded his ability to negotiate when he started looking for defensemen and at this deadline
  • Overall, super dismissive of Regier-era assets
  • Lehner was a top 10 goalie
  • Need to do something about Bogosian. Can expose in expansion draft, but then you need someone to play those 20-22 minutes. Safe to say they share Zip's opinion of "get any decent rotation D for him and it's a win"
  • Franson was underutilized given the year he had, is frustrated about his lack of counting stats going into UFA. Probably a teamwide phenomenon given the lack of wins and adjustments - my speculation
  • Sabres need to look for someone with a progressive outlook, concern about someone like Lombardi being too set in his ways, especially because he's been so rewarded by it
  • Mild surprise at Gionta not pulling a Moulson
  • All this probably doesn't happen if we win the McDavid lottery
  • Eichel is great but...
  • They were critical of Eichel during the McDavid comparison segment but then very complimentary of his play in later discussion

While we've discussed a lot of this ad-nauseam, I thought the bits on Kane, Lehner, and TM's use of the Regier assets were unexpectedly favorable. The idea that Murray was such a good trader early on that other GMs backed off when he went shopping for D is a rosier outlook than even his most fervent supporters have speculated. Overall, the conclusion that the lack of defensive adds on multiple levels and lack of org/message control justified TM's firing was a fair one.

I was sort of disappointed they didn't really get into other systemic defects such as holding the center back in transition or having dedicated offensive / defensive top four pairings, but it's a 45 minute endeavor and the Murray decision is way meatier, so I get it.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 03:59 PM
Der Jaeger
O'Reichelainenhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
I just find it strange he didn't come to that same conclusion before extending his contract.

I hope he learns to maybe wait a little longer before opening his wallet.
Me too. Pegula needs to wait a bit before he pulls the trigger on extensions next time.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 04:02 PM
Der Jaeger
O'Reichelainenhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I understand the concept and think it can be a successful one.

I suppose my point is more along the lines of bringing in Drury at this stage is doing the reverse of what the Leafs did. Shanny was there first and brought in Lou, Hunter and Dubas. There is no doubt he is their boss but also their ally of sorts since he hired them all. They are "his guys" if you will. Which leads to a stronger working relationship.

Bringing in a Drury to "fix" the existing culture would be a very different thing. He would be coming in to "clean up" an established management structure he had no hand in creating. The scenario would be ripe for friction and a poor working environment developing. He also wouldn't have the cache of an established management type to give him credibility for the task at hand.

I think the clean break was the best way to go to re-establish a culture at this point.
Agree. Too bad LaFontaine didn't work out. It would've been a great structure.

Maybe Pegula hires the president type again, then the GM, then the head coach. Seems like a lot to do, and the associated house cleaning, right before the draft.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 06:52 PM
wunderpanda
no more murray!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Are we to believe that after losing out on Babcock that Terry just threw his hand in the air Seinfeld style and said "Well my work here is done Tim you figure this out" and had no input at all?
It's conceivable that Pegula trusted the man he hired to do the job he was hired for.

Quote:
In your attempt to say Murray has poor character you're completely ignoring that Pegula just got everybody out of bed so that he could throw everyone under the bus and then end the press conference without actually answering anything which itself is poor character.
Having character isn't the same as being a character. Murray left behind an entitled, undisciplined, low effort, unprofessional, dysfunctional locker room & an organization full of media leaks and infighting. That is his legacy.

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 07:16 PM
TalkingProuder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyJay View Post
Can you bring me up to speed? What did they do to attack his character?
The press conference where he attacked everything Murray and Bylsma had done and the leaks to Paul Hamilton and Bucky Gleason where he tried to embarrass Murray.

I think the Pegulas need to act more professional or people will not want to work there. If you don't like what an employee is doing you don't have to express that to the world.

Now there will be hints when you hire new people what you are looking for and you can express what you want to improve. But the Pegulas are opening themselves up to having Murray spill the beans on them at a later time.

Old
04-22-2017, 07:19 PM
TalkingProuder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartforReinheart View Post
My god, professional sports personnel making millions of dollars and you are upset of hurt feelings?
I don't see other great owners trash talking people they fire. Pegulas need to look in the mirror while pointing fingers.

And to be clear, Bylsma had to go. Murray also had to go if he refused to fire Bylsma.

Old
04-22-2017, 08:28 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Pegula didn't trash anyone. He was going to be asked why they were fired and he wasn't going to just say they were great. He gave the geneal reasons without getting specific. Anything less would have been a lie or a waste of everyone's time.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2017, 08:29 PM
Chainshot
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I don't see other great owners trash talking people they fire. Pegulas need to look in the mirror while pointing fingers.

And to be clear, Bylsma had to go. Murray also had to go if he refused to fire Bylsma.
He didn't trash anyone.