HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Part VII - Giroux Cops a Feel

Old
09-12-2014, 11:02 AM
Shady Machine

vCash: 500
The NHL announced some minor rule changes today. Here is the link:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7...d=nhl:topheads

Among the interesting ones to me are :

near elimination of neutral zone faceoffs other than offsides. Puck will remain in offensive zone even if offensive team is last to touch it before it leaves playing surface on a shot. As a defenseman, I'm not fond of the rule, but as a fan of a dynamic offensive team I like it.

delay of game on faceoffs for players trying to get thrown out after icings.

tripping penalty for players diving to knock puck off stick of attacking player. before if you hit the puck first and then tripped the dude it wasn't a penalty.

Shady Machine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2014, 11:24 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

I'm fine with all of those. I'm also fine with the trapezoid "play zone" being bigger, though for our sake we'd be better if it was smaller. And no more spinoramas on penalty shots is fine too.

I really like the delay of game on faceoffs one. That was getting obnoxious last year.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2014, 11:54 AM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

Somewhere, Valeri Kamensky shed a single tear. Banning the spinorama is goofy. No fun.

BrunoPuntzJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2014, 12:30 PM
Al Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoPuntzJones View Post
Somewhere, Valeri Kamensky shed a single tear. Banning the spinorama is goofy. No fun.
Yeah, but it really pushes the moving the puck forward rule. [has a shootout goal ever been disallowed because the forward motion of the puck stopped?]. The league just did what the refs have never had the stones to do.

I think there was another change on requiring a more distinct kicking motion to disallow/overturn a goal, or something to that effect. So Kunitz should be happy.

Al Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2014, 01:54 AM
clefty
What?

The diving for a puck thing is lame to me. You don't need to invent new instances of tripping, just call it consistently like you're supposed to.

What I hope happens, and I can't imagine why it wouldn't, but if you infringe on the faceoff following the icing call and are assessed a delay of game penalty, the inability to change should still remain. Potentially having four, tired non-penalty killers taking a defensive zone faceoff while down a man? Brutal.

I also don't agree with the diving scale. If you're deemed to have committed 5, 6, 7 or 8 dives egregious enough to warrant supplemental punishment, you don't need to be levied $5,000 fines, you need to be getting suspended.

Last edited by clefty: 09-13-2014 at 02:06 AM.
clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2014, 06:45 AM
Al Smith

I don't like the diving penalty at all. I don't think it happens enough to warrant more than a two minute penalty. I thought many of the calls I saw last year were bad, and based either on reputation (justified or otherwise) or a desire to event things up (e.g., on a blatant tripping penalty in the third period). Why should something stupid like that be counted toward what's ultimately a fine.

Al Smith is offline   Reply With Quote