HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan O'Reilly to calgary

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2014, 02:37 PM
THall4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
Same person stroking the cheques though, no?
No that was done by the incompetence of Jay Feaster and Ken King...Brian BUrke and Boston Pizza Jr. running the show now.

Old
07-09-2014, 02:39 PM
YEAHSO
Yer opinion is wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by berto14 View Post
By that logic we could trade our 2015 first rounder for John Scott and call it a win because "at least we got a player who will play in the NHL".

When the realistic probability that Hunter Smith never becomes and NHL regular becomes reality come talk to me about what's embarrassing and what's not.

Old
07-09-2014, 02:39 PM
ForeverFlameFan
HF/CP Middleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
To put it simply, we cannot afford Ryan O'Reilly.
We can, but we don't want to move those pieces to get him. Avs' fans are just mad we don't really have any interest in trading for him.

Old
07-09-2014, 02:41 PM
CoachBadkitten
Matt Hunwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
We can, but we don't want to move those pieces to get him. Avs' fans are just mad we don't really have any interest in trading for him.
Uhh, why would we be mad that a team doesn't want our young top line winger?

Old
07-09-2014, 02:45 PM
tucker3434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangediddy View Post
Deal.
Ha, not close.

Quote:
Just admit that we won that trade. Hopefully your management can fix Berra, but it's highly doubtful.
We'll see. If Berra plays in one game, it's likely he has a larger impact than that 2nd rounder.

Old
07-09-2014, 03:01 PM
gqmixmaster

makes no sense for Calgary

they have monahan and bennet, if they add orielly it will shelter one of them but in the end they will have 2 centers so why give up a large payday for that unless colorado is thinking Orielly for bennett straight across.

Old
07-09-2014, 03:18 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
Fine, just admit that we won the Tanguay/Jones deal, and lets move on.
Absolutely. Avs won that one, Flames won Berra deal (because a late 2nd round pick is still better than a guy who's proven his inability as an average goalie)

Old
07-09-2014, 03:22 PM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Something tells me Calgary had to hit the cap floor and wanted to bring in a veteran goalie to compete for a starting position. Ramo is our starter, for now.

Also calling Berra a 'proven' anything is nonsense. I like Berra, but you might want to wait until he has at least a handful of regulation wins before stating he has proven much at all.
Dead on.

Everyone assumes the Flames will anoint Hiller the starter and that they really wanted Raymond and Englland at the price they paid.

In reality, those 3 contracts just got the Flames to the floor. Without them, they'd be in cap trouble.

Hiller also gives the Flames a bit of an insurance policy in case Ramo leaves in FA at the end of the year. But I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Ramo as the starter or a 50/50 split. He played extremely well down the stretch for Calgary.

EDIT: As for Berra, who knows. I think the guy has a ton of potential. He's so athletic. At the same time I don't think I've ever seen a goalie who is worse positionally. He just seems to lose his net a lot. Hopefully it's something he can learn, because he seemed like a very likeable guy.

Old
07-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Gio a better captain then Iggy? Wow Flames fans really don't like that Iggy left huh?

Old
07-09-2014, 03:25 PM
Volica

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
Fine, just admit that we won the Tanguay/Jones deal, and lets move on.
Okay.
Let's clear it up. Calgary won the Berra trade, simply because Berra wasn't worth a 2nd round pick in any galaxy; however, if Hunter Smith never develops into anything, and Berra can help get the Avs a few wins... I mean, clearly it favours the Avs. Avs won the second Tanguay trade (I'd say we won the first).

But back to ROR.
Flames don't have the assets to give up for a trade like that, on HF. If he does end up in Calgary, it'll be for a return that will have Avalanche fans seeing absolute red (it's just the nature of HF vs Real life; we have an idea of what a player's worth, then we end up seeing them go for significantly less... just look at the three major trades around the draft; Kesler, Spezza and Neal all went for significantly less than everyone predicted).

Old
07-09-2014, 03:32 PM
Bobs your uncle

Speculation of a Giordano for ROR trade makes little sense from a Flames perspective. Calgary's d-man prospect pool is very weak in an organizational prospect pipeline that is relatively strong up front. A package of forward prospects might be doable. This seems like a Calgary radio host trying to drive some conversation in the post draft/free agent dog days of summer more than anything else.

Old
07-09-2014, 03:40 PM
berto14

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAHSO View Post
When the realistic probability that Hunter Smith never becomes and NHL regular becomes reality come talk to me about what's embarrassing and what's not.
When did I say anything at all about embarrassing?

Old
07-09-2014, 03:41 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Burke's involved?

two 1sts and a 2nd.

07-09-2014, 03:43 PM
SmellOfVictory

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
Gio a better captain then Iggy? Wow Flames fans really don't like that Iggy left huh?
Iggy has been a phenomenal player for the Flames and I'm glad I got to enjoy so many years of him, and he was a good captain. That said, I think his leadership qualities were sometimes overstated.

Old
07-09-2014, 03:44 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volica View Post
Okay.
Let's clear it up. Calgary won the Berra trade, simply because Berra wasn't worth a 2nd round pick in any galaxy; however, if Hunter Smith never develops into anything, and Berra can help get the Avs a few wins... I mean, clearly it favours the Avs. Avs won the second Tanguay trade (I'd say we won the first).

But back to ROR.
Flames don't have the assets to give up for a trade like that, on HF. If he does end up in Calgary, it'll be for a return that will have Avalanche fans seeing absolute red (it's just the nature of HF vs Real life; we have an idea of what a player's worth, then we end up seeing them go for significantly less... just look at the three major trades around the draft; Kesler, Spezza and Neal all went for significantly less than everyone predicted).
Why are you using 2 players that wanted out on their current teams which put them in a weaker position to negotiate (along with a limited NTC), and another player where the GM wanted to change the skillset up in their top six?

Avs have O'Reilly have another minimum two years, and can shop him to 29 other teams in the league.

Old
07-09-2014, 03:45 PM
ForeverFlameFan
HF/CP Middleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
Who ever said Giordano was a better captain than Iggy?

Old
07-09-2014, 03:53 PM
Rangediddy

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Iggy has been a phenomenal player for the Flames and I'm glad I got to enjoy so many years of him, and he was a good captain. That said, I think his leadership qualities were sometimes overstated.
I agree his leadership skills were a BIT overrated because he was such a good player and an even better person, but he was captaining a group of vererans and previous captains in their own right. Tough to lead a group of leaders - or he just didn't need to lead very much when everyone already knows the sport.

Gio is in a place where he's leading guys who need to be lead so they're more willing to accept that and it's reflecting well on him. That being said, a 30 year old Iginla would probably look like Messier with these kids!

Old
07-09-2014, 03:53 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
Same person stroking the cheques though, no?
Owners rarely have anything to do with choosing players.

Old
07-09-2014, 04:37 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Right, because we cannot afford to

Old
07-09-2014, 06:27 PM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

Quote:
Who ever said Giordano was a better captain than Iggy?
I definitely do. Iginla turned floater his final 3-4 seasons here. He basically was Dany Heatley. A one-dimensional goal scorer. He was better this last year in Boston. I'd way rather have Giordano as my captain than Iginla. Iginla was a great player and a great person, his leadership ability is way overrated. Numerous times we heard of locker room rifts when Iginla was captain. Players not buying into coaches, this group liking this style of play, that one that style. Numerous coaches and GM's saying it was a tough team to coach ect.

You hear none of that with Giordano and he's going to hang out with the kids in the summer time. You could find Iginla in his lake house in Kelowna each year and not investing into the younger players on his own time like Giordano does.

Old
07-09-2014, 06:46 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Dion View Post
I definitely do. Iginla turned floater his final 3-4 seasons here. He basically was Dany Heatley. A one-dimensional goal scorer. He was better this last year in Boston. I'd way rather have Giordano as my captain than Iginla. Iginla was a great player and a great person, his leadership ability is way overrated. Numerous times we heard of locker room rifts when Iginla was captain. Players not buying into coaches, this group liking this style of play, that one that style. Numerous coaches and GM's saying it was a tough team to coach ect.

You hear none of that with Giordano and he's going to hang out with the kids in the summer time. You could find Iginla in his lake house in Kelowna each year and not investing into the younger players on his own time like Giordano does.
1 year as captain (in which we finish the lowest in the standings in Calgary history) and he is better?

Old
07-09-2014, 07:21 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamester View Post
Dean molberg from sportsnet 960 the fan had just announced that the flames are very interested in Ryan O'Reilly. No detailed specifics yet. This would be a perfect for the flames, might have to give up a few pieces to get a guy like Ryan O'Reilly.
No indication of interest.

http://pmd.fan960.com/radio/fan960/p...709-102741.mp3

(Starts at the 44:00 mark)

Closed.