HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Florida. Underrated. Not moving Anywhere

Closed Thread

Old
08-19-2014, 11:38 PM
CH25
Fire JJD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Hey, leave us out of this. The Caps were considered a dog franchise until the miracle that was the Ovechkin draft. Hell, most O6 and Canadian fans still don't give the Caps any respect, perhaps rightfully so, since they've never won a Cup.
It's okay to suck. Every team has sucked at one point. Problem with the Panthers (and the difference between them and these other teams) is that they can't seem to get out of this sucking phase. The team has been constantly gifted high draft picks but still can't get anything done.

Old
08-19-2014, 11:39 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH25 View Post
It's okay to suck. Every team has sucked at one point. Problem with the Panthers (and the difference between them and these other teams) is that they can't seem to get out of this sucking phase. The team has been constantly gifted high draft picks but still can't get anything done.
They're stealing Edmonton's job.

Old
08-19-2014, 11:41 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuds View Post
Way to ignore the fact they were playing in an arena that had a capacity of 14,703.

Don't worry, I'm sure that they either raised their ticket prices accordingly or made is up killing on the secondary market for plastic rats.

Old
08-19-2014, 11:42 PM
tidus37
Chicken Parm Mafia

I know that this is going to sound like a silly idea but why don't the Panthers market the team to not only a slight demographic but to everyone in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area? And market the team in both English and in Spanish? (I know this sounds dumb but I had to throw it out there)

Old
08-19-2014, 11:43 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
Don't worry, I'm sure that they either raised their ticket prices accordingly or made is up killing on the secondary market for plastic rats.
Toronto's entire profit from waffle sales went directly to Florida via revenue sharing. Cha-Ching!

Old
08-19-2014, 11:44 PM
CH25
Fire JJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZzzQuist4013 View Post
They're stealing Edmonton's job.
And Buffalo's 1st overall pick

Old
08-19-2014, 11:46 PM
Senor Catface

vCash: 1250
Quote:
The panthers are playing the Senators (they never faced each other in a pre season game). Score is 0-0 (doesn't really indicate that's it's the start of the game but it's likely.

The person who posted these photos should have put more info but I guess it's obvious what his message was.
The Sens part I was obviously amiss to, but I'm not sure if the start of the game is a good time to identify how busy a rink is. In Edmonton, which is pretty hockey crazy, there is always a sizable amount of people streaming in late to a game.

Not quite to THAT level, but it might be a factor?

Old
08-19-2014, 11:49 PM
EnforceTheLaus
The #Pirrpocalypse

Quote:
Did you really just compared basketball in Miami to hockey in Miami?

Because Miami's population is dominated by a specific demographic that is much more basketball friendly than hockey friendly... Don't kid yourself.
Quote:
But just for good measure, let's analyze further. Here's the "Bigoted" comment I made:

And here's the facts:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...t-fans/283626/

Via these statistics, blacks and Hispanics make up a combined 5% of the NHL's audience, compared to the NBA, where they make up a combined 57%.

And then there's this:

http://www.miamidade.gov/business/li...ic-profile.pdf

A demographic breakdown of the Miami-Dade area from 2011 which shows blacks and Hispanics making up a combined 81.6% of the population compared to whites, which only make up 16% of the population.

Now, do continue to try and tell me that I'm "Bigoted" for suggesting that you wont get the same cult following for the Panthers that you did for the Heat, when Miami is 81.6% black/Hispanic and 16% white, and the NBA is 57% black/Hispanic viewers compared to the NHL's 92% white viewers. (5% black/Hispanic)

Of course, I'm sure you're going to continue with the character attacks, because hey, that's really all you can do when you've run out of logical defenses.
Good, true colors. Yes those are the current demographics because the NHL doesn't and has not reached out to gain their support. Was the NBA always so heavily in minority communities? You are taking the current numbers and ignorantly applying it as a disposition, not a caused effect. Yes, you are assuming Black/Hispanic people as a whole cannot be interested in hockey as a white person. It is really pathetic to see this.

Old
08-19-2014, 11:51 PM
CH25
Fire JJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Catface View Post
The Sens part I was obviously amiss to, but I'm not sure if the start of the game is a good time to identify how busy a rink is. In Edmonton, which is pretty hockey crazy, there is always a sizable amount of people streaming in late to a game.

Not quite to THAT level, but it might be a factor?
Yeah definitely but from personal experience when the puck is dropped at the start of the game everyone is usually in their seats. Usually at the start of the second and third period is when there are a lot more empty seats.

Old
08-19-2014, 11:53 PM
EnforceTheLaus
The #Pirrpocalypse

Quote:
Actually they did. Resold the thrown rats at the arena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tidus37 View Post
I know that this is going to sound like a silly idea but why don't the Panthers market the team to not only a slight demographic but to everyone in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area? And market the team in both English and in Spanish? (I know this sounds dumb but I had to throw it out there)
Well they did have a Spanish broadcast of the games in the 90's. When the team moved up into Sunrise they began to target more of the Broward/Palm Beach county area rather than down into Miami-Dade. Though word in that this is changing with the new ownership.

Old
08-20-2014, 12:05 AM
AvalancheFan19

Quote:
Even if they win the cup next season people there still won't care. If Stanely isn't capable of saving this franchise what makes people think a first round exit will (that is if they even reach the playoffs). This is pretty much as dead of a hockey market as you can find.

*Maybe I went too far here with this comment, but it's not fair, in my eyes, that Quebec City doesn't have a team but Florida does.
Quebec's team did so well though!!

Old
08-20-2014, 12:13 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnforceTheLaus View Post
Actually they did. Resold the thrown rats at the arena.

Well they did have a Spanish broadcast of the games in the 90's. When the team moved up into Sunrise they began to target more of the Broward/Palm Beach county area rather than down into Miami-Dade. Though word in that this is changing with the new ownership.
That's the problem. The teams financial standing was dependent on the cheap toy AND concert markets. And the money from the plywood association of America and the non winning lottery ticket association.

Old
08-20-2014, 12:15 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
The panthers are playing the Senators (they never faced each other in a pre season game). Score is 0-0 (doesn't really indicate that's it's the start of the game but it's likely.

The person who posted these photos should have put more info but I guess it's obvious what his message was.
It was from the opening 7:30 puck drop on December 3, 2013, a regular season game on a Tuesday night against Ottawa.

Down the street, the two-time defending NBA champion Miami Heat were hosting Detroit. The Heat entered that game with a 14-3 record and looked to be en route to another title, as they were on a 10-game winning streak.

Florida entered the game 7-15-5 with a -32 goal differential and Scottie Upshall on the first line.

Gee, why were people not beating down the doors to see the Panthers play?

Old
08-20-2014, 12:19 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

I hope the Panthers succeed, mostly because I wouldn't want any fan, nobody how much I hated their team to be ripped of something they love, there are lots of fans in Florida and they don't deserve to have their team taken from them.

Last edited by Kane One: 08-20-2014 at 01:38 AM.
Old
08-20-2014, 12:21 AM
EnforceTheLaus
The #Pirrpocalypse

Quote:
That's the problem. The teams financial standing was dependent on the cheap toy AND concert markets. And the money from the plywood association of America and the non winning lottery ticket association.
What? I think you need to switch to decaf tinfoil.

Old
08-20-2014, 12:23 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
It was from the opening 7:30 puck drop on December 3, 2013, a regular season game on a Tuesday night against Ottawa.

Down the street, the two-time defending NBA champion Miami Heat were hosting Detroit. The Heat entered that game with a 14-3 record and looked to be en route to another title, as they were on a 10-game winning streak.

Florida entered the game 7-15-5 with a -32 goal differential and Scottie Upshall on the first line.

Gee, why were people not beating down the doors to see the Panthers play?
Because its a struggling market dependent on bandwagon fans who will abandon the team as soon as they are not stanley cup contenders?

What do I win?

Old
08-20-2014, 12:25 AM
sandysan

Quote:
What? I think you need to switch to decaf tinfoil.
Your team is, and has largely been, propped up by everything, anything unrelated to hockey if you exclude rs. If you think this is sustainable, good luck with that.

Old
08-20-2014, 12:31 AM
EnforceTheLaus
The #Pirrpocalypse

Quote:
Your team is, and has largely been, propped up by everything, anything unrelated to hockey if you exclude rs. If you think this is sustainable, good luck with that.
Are you close to citing aliens and Illuminati next too?

Have a little sense here, it is like condemning gas stations for profiting on convenience store items (here a little tip, they don't make money on gas). Plus you should have equal hate for about 15 other teams that lose money annually too right?

Old
08-20-2014, 12:40 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Are you close to citing aliens and Illuminati next too?

Have a little sense here, it is like condemning gas stations for profiting on convenience store items (here a little tip, they don't make money on gas). Plus you should have equal hate for about 15 other teams that lose money annually too right?
Those other 15 teams ( like the new owners of the devils who say that a year or two or three with losses but NOT 30) are making progress to being self sufficient.

and if any other market pulled the club red/ plywood nonsense, Id denounce them as well.

its past midnight, your team just lost another 100 k. Im sure this goes on forever with no consequences.

Old
08-20-2014, 12:52 AM
EnforceTheLaus
The #Pirrpocalypse

Quote:
Those other 15 teams ( like the new owners of the devils who say that a year or two or three with losses but NOT 30) are making progress to being self sufficient.

and if any other market pulled the club red/ plywood nonsense, Id denounce them as well.

its past midnight, your team just lost another 100 k. Im sure this goes on forever with no consequences.
30 years? Aliens added 10? Please show me plywood, I am eager to see it.

Again simple research can stop you from embarrassing yourself. Club Red (or club dead) was a Yormark baby to increase profits from a premium level (which most teams actually have just not behind the benches). No one is happy with it, because it displaced long time SSH. Also new ownership is cutting it's size this coming season. You can even search the Panthers board for that. Which I assume is too hard for you.

Old
08-20-2014, 01:38 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinkalage Morgoone View Post
No one attended Heat games in 2006?
Pre-Lebron type crowd:

Old
08-20-2014, 01:40 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator