HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

Barbara Underhill's NHL 12 BaP Sliders

Old
09-22-2011, 02:18 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Barbara Underhill's NHL 12 BaP Sliders

Well I decided to shoot for the most realistic sliders possible and I am pretty happy with my results. Just a heads up these sliders are meant to be used with BaP playing 20 minute periods using the sim to shift feature. I can't imagine they will work for any lower period lengths due to the fact that they are fine tuned for the 20 minute periods. Another thing to note is that I set these sliders up for CHL use with the intention of playing the majority of the games, which will be many hours of gameplay and by that time I will have the NHL set fine tuned as well. I am currently testing how these translate to the NHL level but it will be a little bit before I know for sure how well they will work.

Settings
To save from typing out all categories the ones with options for both Human and CPU values should be read like this Human/CPU an asterisk means I have notes below that offer some explanations.

Gameplay
  • Skill Level - All-Star*
  • Game Style - Current
General
  • Tuner Set - Latest Edit: V 1.00
  • CPU Aid - Normal (Testing Hardcore)*
  • Broken Stick Freq. - 1
  • Game Speed - 3
  • Attribute Effects - 6*
  • Fatigue Effect - 6/6
  • Fatigue Recovery - 2/2
  • Injury Occurrence - 3/3*
  • Puck Control - 0/0 Edit 1/0
  • Player Acceleration - 4/4
AI
  • Created Plays - On (User Pref.)
  • AI Learning - 6
  • CPU Difficulty Adjustment - 3
  • CPU Strategy Adjustment - 3
  • BaP Strategy Adjustment -3
  • Human Strategy Adjustment - 0
  • CPU Faceoff Difficulty - 4 (User Pref.)
  • Fight Difficulty - 4 (User Pref.)
  • CPU Penalties - 5
  • CPU Teammate Penalties - 5
Passing
  • Pass Assist - 1
  • Manual Passing - On
  • Pass Speed - 2
  • Saucer Pass Speed - 5
  • Pass Accuracy - 2/0*
  • Pass Reception Ease - 0/0
  • Pass Interceptions - 4/5*
Shooting - Read More Below
  • Shot Accuracy - 3/2
  • Shot Power - 3/3
  • Slap Shot Accuracy - 0/0
  • Slap Shot Power - 6/5
  • One Timer Accuracy - 0/0
Checking
  • Hitting Assistance - 0
  • Aggression - 4/4*
  • Hitting Power - 1/0*
  • Stick Lift Effectiveness - 1/1
  • Poke Efectiveness - 0/0
Goalies
  • Goalie Passing - 3
  • Goalie Cover Puck Freq. - 2
  • Goalie Screen Effect - 2/3* Edit 3/4
  • Goalie Reaction Speed - 5/4* Edit 4/3
Rules
  • Period Length - 20 Mins
  • Injuries - On
  • Penalties - 3
  • Post Whistle Rules - 3
  • Penalty Time Scaling - 5
  • Fighting - 1
  • Shot Aim - Manual
Visual
  • Puck Size - Authentic
  • Puck Shadow - Authentic

Notes:
Skill Level - I will be testing with Superstar I just didn't like the results the first time around and wanted to see if I could balance out All-Star to be fun/challenging.
CPU Aid - Playing around with Hardcore but some of the CPU boosts or cheats for lack of a better word that come from it are annoying and will take time to balance.

Attribute Effects- A lot of people set this to 3, what this slider does is increases or decreases the importance of attributes. As you increase this the talent gap between elite players and scrubs increases.

Injury Occurrence - I had it at 4 for the longest time and am playing with it trying to decrease injuries I see a ton of them when I look at NHL transactions. But you all know this is a ridiculous issue right now anyway.

Pass Accuracy - This isn't a cheat to make my team better I had it at 0 for a long time problem was my guys would try and pass from the half boards to the point and miss by 15ft. Not kidding it was terrible. Just trying to find balance, so in turn I upped the pass interceptions for the CPU team.

Pass Interceptions - I am trying to balance out pass completion percentage and my team was always below the CPU team so I took it down a notch. This slider will also increase shots if you turn it up because they will shoot from out wide instead of trying to set up a play.

Aggression - This one is pretty self explanatory it's how aggressive teams are when taking the body, I like it where it's at because I don't see 30 hits again. That also has to do with hitting power.

Hitting Power - The game only counts hits that have significant results so I had to turn this up because my Pro wasn't getting credit for any I know get about 3 a game but could get more if I tried. Leave hitting assistance at 0 to make it more challenging. This also effects hit totals for games because the less vicious hits become vicious if you turn it up.

Goalie Screen Effect - If you have this too high point shots through traffic become ridiculously effective.

Goalie Reaction Speed - Set it up like this to make scoring a bit more challenging seems to work pretty well and I have seen a greater variation in shots.

Shooting Explained

Spent quite a bit of time on shooting, wanted to get it as accurate as possible so let me Show you my results and I will explain them a bit.

PlayerWSPSSPWS SpdSS Spd
Shea Weber859568-72mph93-99mph
Steven Stamkos878968-73mph89-93mph
My Pro (CHL)747164-68mph79-83mph

As we all know Weber has a cannon 103-105 isn't out of reach in a hardest shot competition and you can get that result in game if you want it. But I toned it down by 4mph and actually think you could break 100mph in game depending on wind up. But I am fairly certain he doesn't shoot over 100mph very often in a game setting, and with the shooting exercise in NHL 12 your feet are planted unlike the skills comp.

I wanted to see how Stamkos compared and I think that is a pretty fair representation, think he shot in the mid 90's at the ASG.

Lastly we have my lowly scrub 16 yr old CHLer. I checked last years CHL Skills comp and saw low 90's for their competition. My pros SSP is low at 71 the highest I could find on the rosters was 80 and he shot about 84-88mph consistently.

Game Results

Game 1GSHToAP%PPFO'sSlider Adjustment/My Pro's Stats
VIC438158:3666%0/214 
CHI123197:0364%0/1131g 0a 1pt -2 7 Shots 0 Hits 22:28 TOI
Game 2GSHToAP%PPFO'sSlider Adjustment/My Pro's Stats
BLB42981510:1870%2/419
CHI5291510:2956%1/1191g 1a 2pt 0 6 Shots 0 Hits 25:24 TOI
Game 3GSHToAP%PPFO'sSlider Adjustment/My Pro's Stats
SHA031158:1872%0/418Human Hit Power +1
CHI328178:3860%2/3132g 0a 2pts +1 4 Shots 3 Hits 24:06 TOI
Game 4GSHToAP%PPFO'sSlider Adjustment/My Pro's Stats
CHI327167:0963%1/1191g 1a 2pts 4 Shots 5 Hits 19:06 TOI
BAC225159:0862%0/216Human Pass Accuracy +1 CPU Pass Int +1
Game 5GSHToAP%PPFO'sSlider Adjustment/My Pro's Stats
SHA424199:2366%0/119 Game went to OT and SO
CHI346169:3959%0/2210g 1a 1pt 0 6 Shots 3 Hits 24:03 TOI
Game 6GSHToAP%PPFO'sSlider Adjustment/My Pro's Stats
QUE237102010:3667%0/217
CHI526207:3359%1/2131g 1a 2pts +2 7 Shots 2 Hits 23:41 TOI

In game 6 I had a task to get shots on net early, managed a goal but I usually don't take 7 shots, I could take more but they would be low quality so I try and set up a play instead.

How do these sliders match up to the QMJHL's stats last year?

Goals Per Game: 6 the QMJHL's GPG last year was 6.7
Shots Per Game: 60.5 avg or 30.25 per team QMJHL had 59.2 shots per game last year or 29.6 per team.
Hits Per Game: 30.8 or 15.4 per team, I didn't find this stat for the QMJHL. Note that 15 hits a game for your team might not seem high enough but they basically only count the ones where someone ends up falling down. The smaller hits which there are probably 10-15 of each game aren't counted.
Faceoffs Per Game: 34, again no stats for QMJHL I read an estimate for the NHL was 50 that seems high but then again who cares, if you want more increase the goalie cover puck slider.

Around the League
My NHL 12 sliders vs. The Real QMJHL

-Note I did not start the season with these sliders I have played more than just 6 games with them though. I didn't start tracking stats until I was certain I was close to accurate so some of these numbers may reflect the start of my Pro's career when I was on Pro difficulty and EA's sliders. This is only 28 games into the season 10 of which were played on pro difficulty with EA's sliders. I would say half the games have been with sliders very similar to the finalized ones.

Top 5 Goaltenders SV% and GAA

NHL 12 SV%QMJHL SV%NHL 12 GAAQMJHL GAA

Pretty close I think the difference is due to the 10 games on weak settings.

Top 3 PP%
NHL 12QMJHL
36.2%28.7%
29.6%26.2%
28.4%25.7%

Close again my teams are more effective but that has changed with these sliders.

Bottom 3 PP%
NHL 12QMJHL
19.2%15.2%
19.0%14.2%
18.4%12.7%

Same reasoning as above.

Top 3 PK%
NHL 12QMJHL
82.9%83.7%
82.7%82.7%
82.2%82.3%

Bottom 3 PK%
NHL 12QMJHL
69.6%75.0%
68.8%74.1%
68.7%71.1%

Anyway guys sorry for how long the post is I just wanted to provide sufficient evidence for these sliders. I have only used them in 1 NHL game so I can't give you an honest answer if they translate to the next level flawlessly. From what I saw you might have to increase pass interceptions to get more shots and goalie cover frequency. Everything else looked pretty good.

Like I said earlier I am going to be testing these in Superstar and we'll see how it plays out. Hope you enjoy them.

Edit: I think these would work fairly well for goalies too, but you might need to change a few things. I may test it out but I am not that great of a goalie.

Edit 9/25/11 - A few small changes I toned the goalies down a hair because scoring really dropped off. Also bumped Puck Control up one click because turning and stopping was resulting in the puck sliding off my stick. Which isn't realistic IMO, neither is turning rapidly 10 times and not losing it which is why I didn't go too far. You can do a quick stop or direction change and maintain the puck about 50% of the time now.

I also went back to the old tuner set and I'm testing that out. Seems a little smoother as far as AI goes.

Last edited by Barbara Underhill: 09-25-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:35 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

If you guys try them out and want to increase/decrease something you see in game let me know and I will try help you out.

Old
09-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Ski Powder
Watch out, I bite.

vCash: 500
Let me know what you figure is best for Superstar sliders. I played with the sliders a bit and now find that the gameplay is even for both sides but my ppg is still way too high.

Ski Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski Powder View Post
Let me know what you figure is best for Superstar sliders. I played with the sliders a bit and now find that the gameplay is even for both sides but my ppg is still way too high.
On All-Star difficulty? You used these? Or just tweaked the EA ones?

You can try setting CPU aid on hardcore that is the next change I am going to try. Superstar is hard to tune because the AI cheats sort of speak. I'll see what I can come up with. What's your current PPG and what are you shooting for?

Old
09-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Ski Powder
Watch out, I bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
On All-Star difficulty? You used these? Or just tweaked the EA ones?

You can try setting CPU aid on hardcore that is the next change I am going to try. Superstar is hard to tune because the AI cheats sort of speak. I'll see what I can come up with. What's your current PPG and what are you shooting for?
No, I tweaked the EA ones on Superstar. The only thing that really bugs me on Superstar is that they're way faster than what their speed attribute says. It's like I'm a 4th line scrub trying to get to a puck before Grabner.

I tried putting attribute effects to the max hoping my high speed would finally factor in but it doesn't work. It seems to make the computers faster too so really it doesn't do anything. What I did instead was put human acceleration 1 higher than the comps and now we're almost the same speed. They're still every so slightly faster in a race but now I can skate around them if I catch them flat footed without them turning around and somehow get ahead of me even when I'm already in full stride.

They still have their booming shots compared to mine. I tried to even it out a bit so that their shots are as hard and as accurate as their stats indicate but then their goal-scoring went down enough that it wasn't all that hard to win a game so I ended up not altering their shots.

Now the games are even and challenging to win. In 35 games I have 53 g and 49 a which is just under 3 ppg. I've played a lot of be a pro in the past two EA games so I know what I'm doing but I feel weird not seeing anyone else put up those kinds of numbers. I'm just curious to see how my production will do in the NHL (I'm in the first of two years in the CHL right now) because maybe those numbers are due to my knowledge of the game and the fact that my character has a higher overall than many of the CHL players which allows me to produce so well. Maybe once I get into the NHL my production will actually be normal because my guy won't be anywhere near the higher overalls.

Sorry for such a long message by the way, just looking for some help.

Ski Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:42 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

I'll have to play a game or two with default sliders on superstar. I've always been pretty decent at the game and had a really unrealistic PPG in past versions which takes away from it for me. I always hated Superstar for the reasons you mentioned. The AI is set to superstar and you're set to rookie haha. Instead of actually improving your player or team EA made everything easier for the AI. Lazy way of doing it, but what's new?

I'll see if I can help.

Old
09-24-2011, 06:20 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Just want to point out that I think the most current tuner set is messed up. Testing it using V 1.01 to see if some things change. I went through several games that I was just dominated in. My team wasn't scoring while I was on the bench which was never an issue before. I do think that hot/cold streaks play a big role this year though so it may have been that. Thinking of starting a fresh BaP with these sliders to compare results. Maybe Chicoutimi is just terrible?

Old
10-04-2011, 03:08 PM
michaelsaas

Could anyone tell me where the sliders are located in the game? I've search through every menu that seems relevant and can't find them anywhere. I can't find them in any of the BAP menus either.

I would really appreciate any help you can give me!

michaelsaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelsaas View Post
Could anyone tell me where the sliders are located in the game? I've search through every menu that seems relevant and can't find them anywhere. I can't find them in any of the BAP menus either.

I would really appreciate any help you can give me!
Settings>Gameplay Settings

Old
10-06-2011, 10:13 AM
michaelsaas

Thanks I was checking there but didn't notice the bumper options (on Xbox) to get to the advanced sliders.

michaelsaas is offline   Reply With Quote