HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Nino to Wild for Cal Clutterbuck & Wild 3rd Rounder #70

View Poll Results: How do you feel about the Nino for Clutterbuck & a 3rd Trade?
Hate it completely. 30 12.40%
Hate mostly due to losing Nino, but love getting Cal. 27 11.16%
Completely neutral/don't know what to think/Jury is out. 38 15.70%
Mostly like it due to Cal, but wish we didn't let Nino go for so little. 95 39.26%
Love it. Nino can go suck a lemon and we added the Devil to our lineup. 52 21.49%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-03-2013, 07:41 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Just wait and see Clutterbuck round his game out more....when he's scoring {he's shooting more} and drawing penalties and getting guys off their game {like last night} and then ask if you want Nino out there instead.

No.

We got a GREAT third line guy who can shift anywhere and provide energy and scoring and toughness, we have a solid top line not to be disturbed and Strome will be here soon. So Nino sits who? Bailey or Neilson? Nope....both if not all superior hockey players.

So we got a much needed asset....a projected scoring winger went for a tough as nails, top third line physical player in the league. Which one of the above descriptions fits on a Stanley Cup team? I'll take a Clutterbuck over a projected scoring diva.

So we shouldn't even discuss this aside from an infatuation with prospects. Snow drafted the wrong kid, rushed him and lost out but......got one of the top third line hitting, fighting and scoring energy/character guys who may prove critical to a playoff team in return.
This post does not mention Milbury even once! APOLOGIZE!

Old
11-03-2013, 07:47 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
I love Matt Martin, and he has value but Clutterbuck is a much more valuable hockey player. He's quicker, smarter, just as aggressive, has a better shot. Right now Matt Martin gets more Penalty Kill time, but I honestly have no idea why. Clutterbuck is a better penalty killer (though both are good).

Clutterbuck is the type of player that ANY team (including cup contenders) would fall all over themselves lining up to try and get Clutterbuck on their bottom 6. People on prospects boards might try and diminsh that and use that to degrade players, but he is a very valuable hockey player.
I'm on team Martin, but like both players a lot. I don't care much for the stats, much of that depends on context/linemates - but I'm very comfortable when either of these two are on the ice. Clutterbuck will get better (statistically) and has played well. Martin is a very smart player. The fact that he's big and hits everyone kinda stereotypes him as a 4th liner, goon-ish, but he can play anywhere in the lineup. I'd love to see him with two offensive players for a few shifts/games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Just wait and see Clutterbuck round his game out more....when he's scoring {he's shooting more} and drawing penalties and getting guys off their game {like last night} and then ask if you want Nino out there instead.

No.

We got a GREAT third line guy who can shift anywhere and provide energy and scoring and toughness, we have a solid top line not to be disturbed and Strome will be here soon. So Nino sits who? Bailey or Neilson? Nope....both if not all superior hockey players.

So we got a much needed asset....a projected scoring winger went for a tough as nails, top third line physical player in the league. Which one of the above descriptions fits on a Stanley Cup team? I'll take a Clutterbuck over a projected scoring diva.

So we shouldn't even discuss this aside from an infatuation with prospects. Snow drafted the wrong kid, rushed him and lost out but......got one of the top third line hitting, fighting and scoring energy/character guys who may prove critical to a playoff team in return.
Good post.

If Strome is called up tomorrow, I'd be far happier with:

Grabner - Strome - Clutterbuck
than
Grabner - Strome - Nino

Niederreiter has improved a great deal since he was 19. He looks good in Minny and is getting better. He could be an offensive force in a few years. But he's still a one-dimensional player who doesn't score much and is a huge liability defensively. He doesn't skate that well and has to be insulated 5on5 (ala Moulson) - he's no Jeff Skinner.

for the hundredth time...I'm happy with Clutterbuck

Old
11-03-2013, 09:38 PM
swissexpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
But he's still a one-dimensional player who doesn't score much and is a huge liability defensively.
You obviously haven't watched him at all this season

Old
11-03-2013, 09:51 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissexpert View Post

He would know, expert all things swiss...

What chocolate should I get my wife for our anniversary?

Old
11-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLUTTERSTACHE View Post
nino is straight garbage and yall still salty bout this?

nino is a loser people. its not just about the talent, that kid has an attitude apparently. cal on the other hand, seems like he can make the whole locker room get along. thats who u want. not a baby complaining tht he isn't on the ice
You keep telling yourself that. Granted it's still early but I'm liking what I've seen from Nino so far and his so-called attitude problems certainly haven't made an appearance. He's an NHL level player and won't be getting sent down anytime soon.

I wish Cal luck and hope the trade works out for both teams.

Old
11-03-2013, 10:01 PM
swissexpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post

Toblerone is always a good choice

Seriously, I watched him a lot this season and his defensive play has improved quite a bit! Always fights hard around the corners, he learned how to use his frame.
The second negative point made was that he's not scoring much, which is pretty funny considering we're comparing him to Clutterbuck here. 9 pts vs. 2 pts and I don't see that turn around very soon..

Old
11-03-2013, 10:14 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:

Quote:
I've seen him enough. He played well tonight.

Remember Nino with Heatley and Coyle - awful. He was awful with Parise and Koivu.

Playing better with Granlund and Pominville though. Granlund's looking really good lately. He's improved his skating and strength, he's always had the brains and vision.

He was the guy who most intrigued in Nino's draft year, yet I'm glad the Isles didn't pick him for some reason.

Old
11-03-2013, 11:02 PM
RMimagery

Quote:
9 pts vs. 2 pts and I don't see that turn around very soon..
To be fair, Cal missed the first 3 games and clearly wasn't himself yet in his first 4 or 5. Returned from the leg injury in only 3 weeks when 4-6 was projected. He should've rested another week in hindsight, but like his will to play.

If he keeps playing the way he is now, he'll be fine. Was surprised to see his quick shot release. I can see why Cappy had him out sometimes on the 2nd PP unit. He'll get less minutes on the 3rd or 4th lines than Nino will but will be a player that's needed for us in the playoffs. Our top 6 is set and is the team's strength. We actually have one or two (when Strome arrives) other guys that deserve to be there. Trade seems like it could help both teams. Hope something comes from McAdam in net in a few years.

Last edited by RMimagery: 11-03-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old
11-03-2013, 11:34 PM
TheNeutrality
Living out a lie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Toblerone is always a good choice

On topic, what are you guys even arguing about? You got rid of a headache (eventhough Nino never had any attitude problems prior to his stint on LI, there have been... some disagreement regarding Ninos development between player and management) and actually got something useful (Clutterbuck is a pretty decent 3rd liner in my eyes) back.

Old
11-04-2013, 12:19 AM
TwInS1095

vCash: 1760
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post

I've seen him enough. He played well tonight.

Remember Nino with Heatley and Coyle - awful. He was awful with Parise and Koivu.

Playing better with Granlund and Pominville though. Granlund's looking really good lately. He's improved his skating and strength, he's always had the brains and vision.

He was the guy who most intrigued in Nino's draft year, yet I'm glad the Isles didn't pick him for some reason.
To be fair Nino played pretty well with Parise and Koivu. Didn't really put any pucks in the net for his efforts, but no one was really putting pucks in the net.

Hope Clutterbuck works out for you guys. He was a fan favorite in Minny and still hurts a little to see him go, although I have been pleasantly surprising by Nino's play!

Old
11-04-2013, 12:39 AM
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky

Honestly, I forgot about Nino until I kept getting reminded of him on Twitter and on here. He's a non factor to me and I'm more than happy to have Clutterbuck, a guy who WANTS to be here.

Old
11-04-2013, 06:26 AM
JT4President

please close this useless thread. The trade is done. unlike nhl2014 for the xbox, we can't reverese it. I couldn't give a sweet fuk about nino in Min. I have my own team to worry about right here.

Old
11-04-2013, 07:38 AM
WildFinn*
Unity | We Are One

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLUTTERSTACHE View Post
nino is straight garbage and yall still salty bout this?

nino is a loser people. its not just about the talent, that kid has an attitude apparently. cal on the other hand, seems like he can make the whole locker room get along. thats who u want. not a baby complaining tht he isn't on the ice
Not true, great team player, just passed Pommer for an empty netter and hard worker every game.

Also great humor, getting along well with Granlund, Coyle and Brodin etc, cant be an ******* if they like him.

Did summer training in Finland with Granlund, we love him.
Quote:
Granlund, Nino and Coyle as Top Guns before the Halloween game.

https://twitter.com/thelnino25

Old
11-04-2013, 08:02 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:

Swiss chocolate greatness: undeserved reputation. As with Belgian chocolate, word is that their local chocolatiers kill the exported stuff.

Go with the local stuff. Stop off at Jacques Torres.

Old
11-04-2013, 08:29 AM
Macch

Amazing how popular we are with the Wild fans...

Old
11-04-2013, 08:38 AM
WildFinn*
Unity | We Are One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
Amazing how popular we are with the Wild fans...
Just have to defend Nino, he is not a cancer.

I think your GM is the problem, the Vanek trade was weird also.
Nothing againt your club, wish it would do well, great history.

Old
11-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildFinn View Post
I think your GM is the problem, the Vanek trade was weird also.
Nothing againt your club, wish it would do well, great history.
What was "weird" about the Vanek trade?

Old
11-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
What was "weird" about the Vanek trade?

Because it's already written that Vanek is signing with the Wild after this season. We wasted assets for no reason. Moulson and Vanek are the same player. Etc etc!!

Old
11-04-2013, 09:16 AM
BMOK33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
Because it's already written that Vanek is signing with the Wild after this season. We wasted assets for no reason. Moulson and Vanek are the same player. Etc etc!!
One of their writers had the most laughable tweet 2-3 days ago saying its guaranteed he signs there next summer for about 6.5 mill a year...I'd estimate that not one offer Vanek gets is going to be for less than 7.5-8 mill a year and some will likely be 9-10...not saying he won't go to Minnesota but he's certainly not going to go there for that significant a cut vs. what he'd get virtually anywhere else.

Old
11-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Someone remind me in 3-4 years to revive this thread. Until then, CLOSED.