HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

[NSFW] Cops caught on video arresting man filming police raid; shoot his dog

Old
07-08-2013, 05:45 PM
TesseracT
Mercedes AMG F1

vCash: 500
Good column. I honestly did not expect the number of dog killings to be so high. It's pathetic.

It's Time to Train Officers Not to Kill Dogs

TesseracT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 07:11 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
So file a petition demanding a tax increase to fund canine training for all street cops. I'd sign it.
It should be mandatory training given how frequent the run-ins with animals, specifically dogs, are. There is money to train them to use guns, pepper spray, and tasers, and training for when and how to use them for people. Going one step further and training them to use the proper one with animals if animals are frequently seen, shouldn't need special measures.

To go one step further (or back) the main thing isn't even training for dealing with dogs. There are guidelines for thousands of scenarios a police officer is likely to encounter while on the job. How about just adding an extra page to the manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Bixby View Post
Good column. I honestly did not expect the number of dog killings to be so high. It's pathetic.

It's Time to Train Officers Not to Kill Dogs
Good article. I'm sure that kid's pool party will be one to remember.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 08:06 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
It should be mandatory training given how frequent the run-ins with animals, specifically dogs, are.
I completely agree. Unfortunately, funding for that kind of training has to exist first. And we know where that conversation leads.

I don't agree that a page in the manual would be sufficient. Police should be trained with live animals, because that is the only way to make correct decisions with them (much like dealing with children in high stress environments).

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:59 PM
glovesave_35
Name

That "one page" was a bit of hyperbole by me.

Old
07-09-2013, 05:41 AM
AZPenguins

To bad the dog had to die because it had a ****ing stupid owner.

AZPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:18 PM
MrFunnyWobbl
Show Me Your TDs

vCash: 0
Send a message via AIM to MrFunnyWobbl
This is unbelieveable. People are okay with jeopardizing a human being's safety to save an animal that is around for entertainment, is a financial burden and above all, cannot be reasoned with and is unpredictable.

MrFunnyWobbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:24 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFunnyWobbl View Post
This is unbelieveable. People are okay with jeopardizing a human being's safety to save an animal that is around for entertainment, is a financial burden and above all, cannot be reasoned with and is unpredictable.
Dogs > people

Ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
Dogs > people
Kid was looking at houses wearing a hoodie. Justifiable shooting.

Cop killed a dog. String him up.

Sounds about right.

Doppler Drift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:04 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

I feel bad for the dog, as his owner was ****ing moron.

In the end though I think the cop was within right to shoot the dog in an act of self-defense.

RobBrown4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:11 PM
TesseracT
Mercedes AMG F1

Quote:
What experience do you have with dogs?

The cop's safety was never in jeopardy. However, the bystanders in the vicinity were certainly put in harms way when the cop unloaded 4 ****ing rounds.

Old
07-10-2013, 10:50 PM
Rocko604

Not going to watch the video since I'm having a good day. But here's my $0.02 in general..

If I have a dog coming at me ready to attack, I'm shooting it.

If I'm an officer who's coming in and has time to neutralize the dog with pepper spray, then I'll unload the can. Keep in mind though, the pepper spray might not have any effect on the dog at all. There's a chance it'll just piss the dog off even more.

As for police dealing with a dog, you cannot expect them to become experts in canine behaviour. If you're lucky to have a K9 officer on scene, they might be able to give their opinion. Generally though, if police know there's going to be a dog on scene, they should try to bring a less-lethal weapon for it.

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:03 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
You seem to have a good grasp on the canine world.

Old
07-11-2013, 02:06 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
The cop's safety was never in jeopardy. However, the bystanders in the vicinity were certainly put in harms way when the cop unloaded 4 ****ing rounds.
This is the part that nobody seems to be talking about. I'm not absolving the owner for allowing the dog to put itself into a dangerous situation. There were other ways of diffusing the situation though. The way people are defending the cop you'd think the dog broke the glass window and jumped at the officer's neck.

Old
07-11-2013, 04:05 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
Kid was looking at houses wearing a hoodie. Justifiable shooting.

Cop killed a dog. String him up.

Sounds about right.
Well now I didn't watch the original video. Was just a general statement in response to another general statement unfairly maligning dogs, which are awesome.

Ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:26 PM
Bocephus86

Quote:
What experience do you have with dogs?

Are you implying that dogs are never dangerous?

Bocephus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 12:37 PM
TesseracT
Mercedes AMG F1

Quote:
This is the part that nobody seems to be talking about. I'm not absolving the owner for allowing the dog to put itself into a dangerous situation. There were other ways of diffusing the situation though. The way people are defending the cop you'd think the dog broke the glass window and jumped at the officer's neck.
Exactly this. I'd give the owner 70-80% of blame in this case for not recognizing the psychological effect a powerful breed has on a lot of people. Roll up your windows and your dog would still be alive today, dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephus86 View Post
Are you implying that dogs are never dangerous?
I'm implying that that dog was never dangerous in that situation.

Old
07-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Bocephus86

Quote:
I'm implying that that dog was never dangerous in that situation.
I'm just curious how you know this? Its very dangerous to go around just assuming that every dog is cuddly and fuzzy, there are some dangerous ones out there. There is a whole train of thought to not approach a dog unless you know it (im not really in that camp but some people are).

Bocephus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 04:03 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

The idiocy of the owner can't be stressed enough here. I don't know what people expect the cops to do with an aggressive dog especially when they're in the middle of a hostage situation.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
The dog did lunge at the officer..which is why it was shot.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 01:17 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
The idiocy of the owner can't be stressed enough here. I don't know what people expect the cops to do with an aggressive dog especially when they're in the middle of a hostage situation.
There was a hostage situation?

Old
07-12-2013, 02:23 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Quote:
There was a hostage situation?
That's why they were there. There's a swat armored truck in the back ground and at least two of the officers are carrying assault rifles. Apparently there was a robbery and suspects were in one of the houses allegedly with hostages.

Then this joker rolls up to cause problems that he apparently has a history of doing with police, including an already ongoing lawsuit. Guy came looking for trouble, basically.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 06:06 AM
kov

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Then this joker rolls up to cause problems that he apparently has a history of doing with police, including an already ongoing lawsuit. Guy came looking for trouble, basically.
That makes more sense now; what was on the video didn't seem anything beyond a citation but if he'd already received citations/warnings then I get it.

kov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2013, 11:22 AM
TesseracT
Mercedes AMG F1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephus86 View Post
I'm just curious how you know this? Its very dangerous to go around just assuming that every dog is cuddly and fuzzy, there are some dangerous ones out there. There is a whole train of thought to not approach a dog unless you know it (im not really in that camp but some people are).
The body language of the dog is extremely easy to read before and during the incident. I watched the video multiple times, came to my conclusion and then verified by researching a bit online as to what some other dog enthusiasts (for lack of a better term) were saying. I've done a lot of work with Pit Bull rescues and have come across a lot of "aggressive" dogs. I'm not going to call myself an expert but I have dealt with a ton of different scenarios. Now, I'm not trying to say all cops need to become canine enthusiasts and/or behavior experts. This situation most likely could have been avoided with a 1-day dog behavior seminar. I say 'most likely' because the officer was coming from a highly stressful hostage situation. This is why I place the vast majority of the blame on the owner.

And nowhere did I imply that someone should go around assuming that every dog is sweet and cuddly. The message that could be extrapolated from my argument about the cop for the general public is that a little knowledge about canines can go a long way. Dogs are apart of our society whether certain people like it or not. Learning how to safely cohabitate is necessary. Just like if I were to move to a wooded area I would brush up on my bear & mountain lion behavior because we are both occupying the same space. Would you not do the same?

Old
08-14-2013, 12:00 AM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...les&id=9205019

Quote:
HAWTHORNE, Calif. (KABC) -- The Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office has filed charges against a Hawthorne man whose dog was fatally shot by police in June.

Leon Cordell Rosby, 52, pleaded not guilty Tuesday to two felony counts each of dissuading a witness from prosecuting a crime, intimidation of a witness and making criminal threats, and one misdemeanor count of resisting arrest.

Online video shows Hawthorne officers shooting his Rottweiler during a police situation in the city on June 30.

Hawthorne police responded to an armed robbery on 137th Street on June 30, where a standoff ensued. Investigators said Rosby was interfering by blaring music from his car and walking within close proximity of armed officers. After Rosby put his Rottweiler in his car, two officers approached Rosby and handcuffed him. Moments later, Max jumped from the car and lunged at an officer, who shot the dog.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2013, 07:36 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruise Bros 2426 View Post
Protecting and serving.
Excellent post, 10/10, 5 stars.

While the cop is not totally without blame in this situation, I place more blame on the dog owner. As a dog owner myself, I know it is my responsibility to keep control of my dog at all times. If he was going to stick around after he put the dog back in the car, he should have made sure it could not get out.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote