HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Draft 2014... he is underrated?

Old
07-31-2014, 08:34 PM
Wings4Life

vCash: 500
It was a good draft year, average to above average in my estimation. But it's being overshadowed by two spectacular draft years (2013, 2015) and it also lacks a true franchise-defining first overall type selection (three very good players at the top, none a surefire #1 though).

Wings4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2014, 08:35 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidLine93 View Post
I take Drasaitl over Nurse

Nurse went 7th in 2013, and LD went after Reinhart.

The 2013 draft had its tires pumped hard, I only see Mackinnon and Jones being clearly better than the guys from the 2014 draft.
I agree with this. Its annoying hearing people bash the 2014 draft so constantly, and we're already hearing about how good the 2015 draft is.

One player does not make a draft, but its easy for fans to just base a draft off of who goes #1.

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2014, 08:43 PM
Wings4Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho Borvat View Post
One player does not make a draft, but its easy for fans to just base a draft off of who goes #1.
So true.

Wings4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2014, 10:43 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

It's really not a knock on 2014 class; 2013 has a better top 4-5 and imo much higher potential from 10-20.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 08:22 AM
Hagged

Quote:
I take Drasaitl over Nurse

Nurse went 7th in 2013, and LD went after Reinhart.

The 2013 draft had its tires pumped hard, I only see Mackinnon and Jones being clearly better than the guys from the 2014 draft.
People easily forget Barkov had generational draft year for a Nordic prospect. While he had mediocre offensive numbers in his first NHL season I think he's still well ahead 2014 prospects in value.

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 08:34 AM
Vermin
ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagged View Post
People easily forget Barkov had generational draft year for a Nordic prospect. While he had mediocre offensive numbers in his first NHL season I think he's still well ahead 2014 prospects in value.
He is; Barkov would have been the #1 pick in this draft. I doubt that any Panther fan would disagree with that, either.

Vermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 11:06 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Yep. I agree with that poster, except for the exclusion of Barkov. I'd trade Sam Reinhart for Barkov no questions.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 11:16 AM
LetsGoBLUES91

Reports from Blues development is that Fabbri has been 10 times better than they thought he was. Just on another level. They are gushing about the guy. I think we may look back and say he shouldve at least been top 10, maybe top 5.

They said even with our loaded lineup and not a real need for him he still may get 9 games this year.

LetsGoBLUES91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 11:18 AM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBLUES91 View Post
Reports from Blues development is that Fabbri has been 10 times better than they thought he was. Just on another level. They are gushing about the guy. I think we may look back and say he shouldve at least been top 10, maybe top 5.

They said even with our loaded lineup and not a real need for him he still may get 9 games this year.
Sounds like how every team hypes their prospects.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 11:31 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:

Plenty of people had him in their top 10 so that's not unreasonable, but top 5 is a silly at this point. Historically, smaller guys with concerns about the next level perform well in these camps -- it doesn't tell us too much about whether they'll be effective in the NHL. I like Fabbri and do think that he'll pan out in some way for "sure", but I don't think anything's changed since draft day where it could easily have been argued he was taken later than deserved. I'd say he's a bit underrated with respect to his draft position in the context of the 2014 class, but I don't think he's underrated on this forum where the average ranking would've been higher than his draft position.

Love the Blues draft BTW. I'm a bit salty that we didn't get your pick this year, and I wanted Barbashev over Lemieux.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 12:58 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Fabbri is someone I definitely thought would've gone 11-18th, something like that.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 01:13 PM
thomashefe

Quote:
Reports from Blues development is that Fabbri has been 10 times better than they thought he was. Just on another level. They are gushing about the guy. I think we may look back and say he shouldve at least been top 10, maybe top 5..
I doubt any legitimate hockey person will be swayed in any way by how a person looks in a development camp made up of other draftees and walk ons. Do you have any sources of a person from the organization saying such hyperbole?

thomashefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 03:18 PM
KidLine93

I agree Barkov would have gone first in 2014 as the consensus #1. But I don't see him having that top end potential that would create an obvious gap over the other prospects as I see Mackinnon and Jones being able to have.

Personally I'm very high on Jones, Mackinnon's play is self explanatory.

KidLine93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 07:22 PM
Hagged

Quote:
But I don't see him having that top end potential that would create an obvious gap over the other prospects as I see Mackinnon and Jones being able to have.

Personally I'm very high on Jones, Mackinnon's play is self explanatory.
Well I guess I can understand your position. But I just think Barkov being basically the same age as Draisatl and Reinhart, I'll give him the edge.

Then again, I'm very high on Barkov. I think he showed his true potential in December to January, earning him the spot in the Olympics as Finlands 1st line center:

Quote:
One of the biggest surprises of the Florida Panthers’ 2013-14 thus far has been the emergence and success of their top scoring line of Sean Bergenheim, Aleksander Barkov, and Brad Boyes – affectionately dubbed the “Killer B’s”.
Quote:
The final piece to the puzzle that is Florida’s first line, is arguably the team’s best player this season. The 18-year old, Barkov pulls it all together for the line and has been the rock in Florida’s offense this year. His consistency is incredible for his age. Barkov is far and away the team’s hottest player right now. The Finnish rookie has been on a tear lately, currently riding a five game point streak, worth six points (1-5-6) and ten points (3-7-10) in his last ten games. Barkov’s game goes beyond point production. Barkov is second on the team in takeaways with 22 and is 49.8% in the faceoff circle. Barkov’s team leading 21 points (7-14-21) has fans excited about his future and his potential to be a top player in the league, despite going unnoticed by most media outlets.

Barkov is a special player because of his ability to make the players around him better. Bergenheim and Boyes are both playing at the top of their games right now with Barkov centering them. During Scottie Upshall‘s surge in point production during November and early December, it could be assumed that Barkov was the catalyst for that change in Upshall’s game. Since him splitting him up from Barkov, Upshall’s production has waned. With only one assist in his last ten games, Upshall is still playing well defensively but is certainly not the same offensively without Barkov.

The “Killer B Line” is Florida’s top line and recently has proven to be one the league’s top lines as well. Bergenheim, Barkov and Boyes rank fourth in the NHL in even strength goals with eight goals in their last ten games. This resilient trio of forwards are in good company sitting only behind the top lines for the New York Islanders, Philadelphia Flyers and Chicago Blackhawks all of which boast at least two All-Stars, while Florida’s line holds zero. In last night’s game against the Nashville Predators, the Killer B’s combined for five points total (2-3-5) in Florida’s 5-4 shootout win, with Barkov earning second star honors for his two assist night over Nashville’s Seth Jones who finished minus-1 with a goal.

With a month full of travel and only three home games remaining in January, the success of this line will be counted on to lead their team back into playoff contention as the Panthers sit nine points out of the wild card. The Panthers match up against the Montreal Canadiens tonight at the Bell Centre. The Canadiens have fallen to the Panthers twice this season and including their loss to Florida 4-1 on Dec. 29, they’ve allowed 17 goals in their last four games. The Killer B’s will need to swarm the opposition and shake the Habs’ goalie early to make it three in a row against their new division foes.
I was fortunate enough to watch those games, and I must say I haven't seen a rookie showing that much upside, aside of 1st OA picks. He was outright dominant. Physically, in the faceoff dot, offensively, defensively. Not saying Bergenheim and Boyes upping their game didn't help, just that Barkov's potential often seems to get downplayed.

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 07:25 PM
ZeroPT
Beast

Barkov Is ahead of Reinhart, who is ahead of Monahan/Lindholm.

That's how I see it.

ZeroPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 07:38 PM
topchowda

Quote:

Ive heard from some scouting reports if he was a bit bigger hed be a top 6 pick, so I can see how much fans are gushing for him

As for the 2014 draft, I see it as being as good as 2008-12 NHL drafts. It lacks a Stamkos/Tavares/Hall type #1 guy, but the top 6-7 will be as good as the top 6-7 from those drafts.

I think 2013 will be on a different level in 5 years though. I think the depth is unreal. The top 4 all have elite potential and the top 20 all have top pairing/ top line potential. Not to mention the depth is the later round appears to be pretty good

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 07:43 PM
MattAndTrey

Quote:

I got to see Fabbri on several occasions this year. Just non-stop aggression and skill, with amazing skating. Sure he was on the most dominant junior team I've ever seen but he stood out the most to me (with the good old Georgetown boy coming second)

MattAndTrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 10:19 PM
chunkylover53

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
Barkov Is ahead of Reinhart, who is ahead of Monahan/Lindholm.

That's how I see it.
I think Reinhart is around the same level of prospect as Lindholm/Monahan. No one in this draft was going to be top 4 in the 2013 one.

chunkylover53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 11:59 PM
ZeroPT
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
I think Reinhart is around the same level of prospect as Lindholm/Monahan. No one in this draft was going to be top 4 in the 2013 one.
I've watched Monahan for a while since he was here in Ottawa, from my viewings of Reinhart, I can say he is a better prospect. The 2013 top 4 was insane, but guys like Lindholm and Monahan aren't miles better (or even better) than guys like Reinhart,Bennett,Draisaitl and Dal Colle.

Monahan and Lindholm are GREAT prospects, but they're getting overrated by some saying they're far ahead of SR,SB,LD,MDC. And I love Monahan and Lindholm.

ZeroPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2014, 03:24 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Monahan played on the worst team in the CHL.
amazing how underrated Monahan is. He very well could turn out to be the best in that draft class.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2014, 08:26 AM
Alexandre SheaWeber
Nashtreal fan.

Quote:
Mediocre offensive numbers ? The guy was the team leading scorer all year before he got injured.

Alexandre SheaWeber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2014, 08:47 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandre SheaWeber View Post
Mediocre offensive numbers ? The guy was the team leading scorer all year before he got injured.
Barkov really showed flashes of his dominance in few games at only 18 year old. He was at one point clearly the best player on panthers and was probably the best two-way player on the team plus he did lead the team in scoring like you said. Once he bulks up even more while getting more explosive skating (he has been improving ALOT this summer) he'll be really tough to stop and to play against. With that kind of size, skill, smarts and improving skating i don't want to even know what is his ceiling. After Barkov got injured Panthers went from the race of playoff spot to the bottom of the league.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2014, 08:53 AM
plaaplaa72

Send a message via MSN to plaaplaa72
I don't think it's that bad of a draft year, it just misses that elite franchise player prospect, though i think this draft is gonna produce a lot of NHL players.

plaaplaa72 is offline   Reply With Quote