HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Minorities and Discrimination in the NHL?

Closed Thread

Old
02-08-2014, 12:55 PM
redgrant

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Implementing the Rooney Rule in the NHL would be a step back, not forward.

People have proved that there is no racism involved in the league in the way that the OP thinks there is but it has been ignored time and time again.
LOL the NHL is the only of the big 4 where commentators openly can say that Russians are lazy Swedes are weak and Czechs have no heart.

Youre right ...no bigotry at all.

Old
02-08-2014, 12:58 PM
redgrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Free country. Sports are a results-based industry.

I can't think of one instance in modern pro sports where a player was denied an opportunity to play because he was a minority.

If you're good, you play. If you're great, youre a star.
Problem is that the Harvards and Princetons are stalk full of Asian MBAs and law school top students. Yet there are zero in the NHL at a managerial level.

There are dozens of excellent black players in the NHL but none are even in a $150k associate coaching role.

Old
02-08-2014, 01:01 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgrant View Post
LOL the NHL is the only of the big 4 where commentators openly can say that Russians are lazy Swedes are weak and Czechs have no heart.

Commentators have no hand in the "systematic racism" of the NHL. They are as representative of the league as most of us are. And while I'm aware that some have hints of xenophobia, can you provide any recent examples where commentators have openly said these things?

Old
02-08-2014, 02:01 PM
651*

Quote:
Problem is that the Harvards and Princetons are stalk full of Asian MBAs and law school top students. Yet there are zero in the NHL at a managerial level.

There are dozens of excellent black players in the NHL but none are even in a $150k associate coaching role.
Last I checked Charles Wang owned the Islanders. So that's one more Asian owners the NHL has than the NBA, I believe. I guess Ranadive. So that's about even.

Zing!

Quote:
With Subban there were people openly saying he is only a maybe. LOL a maybe? He was the best defenseman last year and one of the best skaters this year. His shot from the point on one timers is lethal and hes amazing on the PP.

Hes the closet thing Canada has to Karlsson.
Everyone KNOWS Suter was the best defenseman in the world last season. And yet the voters still gave it to Subban. AA, maybe?

Old
02-08-2014, 02:07 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 365
Quote:

Do you just ignore what is posted about the players, coaches and doctors so far?

Management? Almost every GM, assistant, hockey opps and most execs are ex players... so just read the other posts to explain that. So that leaves marketing, financial and legal pretty much.

Have you checked?

Off the top of my head (for my own team) the Flyers have a Vietnamese Marketing Manager (Tran? maybe), a Japanese woman as another executive, a mixed race guy in the legal department and Eduardo Mestre who is a director and involved in the non hockey side of things... major shareholder as well I believe.

Old
02-08-2014, 02:40 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Implementing the Rooney Rule in the NHL would be a step back, not forward.

People have proved that there is no racism involved in the league in the way that the OP thinks there is but it has been ignored time and time again.
Is this a joke?

We have seen unqualified buffoons like Garth Snow, Joe Nieuwndyk, Brett Hull, and kevin Dineen step into coaching and management roles while immensely qualified guys like Ted Nolan and Jarmo Kekäläinen were routinely given the shaft in this league. If you don't think there is systemic discrimination in the NHL then you are out to lunch. The fact that bigots like Don Cherry are not only accepted, but celebrated, is all the proof you really need.

Its not even just the european and native aspect either. It applies to French Canadians as well. It should come as no surprise that every French Canadian head coach in the NHL emerged from either the Montreal Canadiens or Quebec Nordiques organizations. The only French Canadian head coach that started in the last 20 years that I can think of that did not emerge from the Montreal/Quebec organizations was Gerard Gallant.

We have to face it. We like our hockey, and we like it white, and we like it english.

Last edited by Fish on The Sand: 02-08-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old
02-08-2014, 03:12 PM
Philly85
Moody'

^^^while that guy you responded to and those kinds of individuals who are naïve enough to believe that stuff are completely out to lunch, read my post.

It's not just a purely racial, racism issue.

Old
02-08-2014, 03:41 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Is this a joke?

We have seen unqualified buffoons like Garth Snow, Joe Nieuwndyk, Brett Hull, and kevin Dineen step into coaching and management roles while immensely qualified guys like Ted Nolan and Jarmo Kekäläinen were routinely given the shaft in this league. If you don't think there is systemic discrimination in the NHL then you are out to lunch. The fact that bigots like Don Cherry are not only accepted, but celebrated, is all the proof you really need.

Its not even just the european and native aspect either. It applies to French Canadians as well. It should come as no surprise that every French Canadian head coach in the NHL emerged from either the Montreal Canadiens or Quebec Nordiques organizations. The only French Canadian head coach that started in the last 20 years that I can think of that did not emerge from the Montreal/Quebec organizations was Gerard Gallant.

We have to face it. We like our hockey, and we like it white, and we like it english.
Nolans situation was his doing. And how did Kekalainen routinely get the shaft?

Old
02-08-2014, 03:55 PM
Mr Atoz
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:

Dozens? Really?

Besides, by law every retired black player must be hired as a TV analyst. Reverse racism, anyone?

Old
02-08-2014, 04:20 PM
redgrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Dozens? Really?

Besides, by law every retired black player must be hired as a TV analyst. Reverse racism, anyone?
Wow. Cant believe you just went there.

Old
02-08-2014, 04:24 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Nolans situation was his doing. And how did Kekalainen routinely get the shaft?

When you see guys like Hull, Snow, Niewendyk, and to a lesser extent Sakic and Yzerman getting GM positions while one of the most accomplished scouts in the history of the league can't even get an interview for a job it is pretty obvious that some things (namely WASP qualities) are valued over qualifications.

Old
02-08-2014, 04:26 PM
Oobz

I like how people are acting like the way the NHL supposedly discriminates against foreign Europeans is akin to jim crow. It's hilarious and surreal that there is this amount of outrage over nothing. This is a great troll thread if I ever saw one.

Old
02-08-2014, 04:36 PM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Dozens? Really?

These Anglos that perpetuate this self-hate nonsense should really just give up their positions/occupations in life to minority people.

Put your money where your mouth is AAers!

Old
02-08-2014, 05:00 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
When you see guys like Hull, Snow, Niewendyk, and to a lesser extent Sakic and Yzerman getting GM positions while one of the most accomplished scouts in the history of the league can't even get an interview for a job it is pretty obvious that some things (namely WASP qualities) are valued over qualifications.
Or maybe he didnt want to interview for those jobs and was waiting for the Blues job to open up? Theres no way thats plausible right?

Old
02-08-2014, 05:08 PM
hockeygoon15

Quote:
Wow. Cant believe you just went there.
So it's OK for you to talk about how blacks are proportionately underrepresented in upper management ranks, but it's not OK for someone to suggest that they are proportionately overrepresented in the commentating field? So pretty much we have to agree with what you say or get labeled a racist? Seems fair.

Old
02-08-2014, 05:28 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
Quote:

That is not what bigotry is.

Bigotry is intolerance towards people who hold different opinions than you. A way of playing and one persons thoughts on it isn't bigotry.

Also, I don't see how 1 person making a comment like that means there is a problem in the NHL. There isn't.

Old
02-08-2014, 05:31 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

Quote:
So some of the best players to ever play the game (excluding Snow) getting hired over an accomplished scout is racism to you?

Steve who? Is he a white Canadian? Bring him in!

Old
02-08-2014, 05:40 PM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

Quote:
Is this a joke?

Don Cherry is one person. That does not make the whole league racist or xenophobic.

I'm not surprised that every French Canadian head coach has come from either Montreal or Quebec because guess what, that's where French Canadians predominately come from. They like that French link and it is why they give a lot opportunities to people from that background.

Please show me where Jarmo Kekalainen was shafted. Just because he didn't get a job before doesn't mean that it is racism. It is just that they felt there were better candidates elsewhere, plain and simple. The American game is also different from the European. How many American/Canadian coaches are their in the SM-Liga for instance? Or the KHL? There aren't many. Must be racism because clearly they've been shafted.

And just for stats sake. In the SM-Liga there are 0 non-Finnish coaches going by Wikipedia which may not be up to date. There is 4 American/Canadian coach in the KHL (John Torchetti, Mark French, Dave King and Mike Keenan)

Old
02-08-2014, 06:39 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGivingEr View Post
So some of the best players to ever play the game (excluding Snow) getting hired over an accomplished scout is racism to you?

Steve who? Is he a white Canadian? Bring him in!
A players ability on the ice has about zero relevance to coaching and management off the ice. It should come as no surprise that the people I mentioned are among the worst at their craft

Old
02-08-2014, 07:00 PM
Butcher

Quote:
A players ability on the ice has about zero relevance to coaching and management off the ice. It should come as no surprise that the people I mentioned are among the worst at their craft
These hirings are, in some cases, akin to cronyism. There is no racial aspect to it.

Old
02-08-2014, 07:07 PM
billybudd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
Do you just ignore what is posted about the players, coaches and doctors so far?

Management? Almost every GM, assistant, hockey opps and most execs are ex players... so just read the other posts to explain that. So that leaves marketing, financial and legal pretty much.

Have you checked?

Off the top of my head (for my own team) the Flyers have a Vietnamese Marketing Manager (Tran? maybe), a Japanese woman as another executive, a mixed race guy in the legal department and Eduardo Mestre who is a director and involved in the non hockey side of things... major shareholder as well I believe.
Yes he ignores it and no, he does not check.

It's a pretty consistent pattern

1. make bold claim he thinks nobody will fact check ("no NFL player deals with race-based bigotry")
2. somebody fact checks him ("Uh, gee, there are two race-based bigotry scandals going on right now in the NFL")
3. he ignores this
4. go to 1

I'm 90% certain this is a just an attempt at trolling, not an attempt to discuss anything

Old
02-08-2014, 08:00 PM
slocal
Global Moderator
Ben Dayho

The point to this thread?

I just don't see it anymore.

Closed.

"there's nothing good about dubstep." - The Nemesis
Closed Thread