HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Fantasy fight matches - who do you take?

Old
09-17-2017, 04:38 PM
Crosbyfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post

Howe vs. Lindros
Chara vs. Lindros
Probert vs. Lindros
Robinson vs. Lindros

You forgot Stojko vs Lindros...

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2017, 07:03 PM
Neutrinos

Quote:
How about Clark against the field? He had that one loss against Probert, just once, and that is all I can see on tape to be honest. He killed Cam Neely once. Never thought to hesitate against McSorely either.
Clark vs Domi would be interesting

Neutrinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2017, 08:41 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Not bad. Why does Robinson win against Lindros "easily" in your mind? I think it would be awfully close, if anything maybe an advantage for Lindros. Remember when an older Lindros kicked to the curb a younger Joe Thornton? Not many times can a player actually manage to make the other one change his game. I honestly think Thornton became more dependent on playmaking after this and less on goal scoring and driving to the net. He fought less after this too. But he was 6'4", and he could throw them, so it wasn't as if Lindros was fighting a chump. Robinson doesn't have the size advantage over Lindros and with Lindros he was big and he usually went on the offensive pretty quick.
Easily mightve been the wrong word. I just think Robinson would have a clear win. Guy was a giant killer.

Quote:
He took out Barnaby rather well at one point. He did lack some big heavyweights though. Not saying he couldn't compete, because I think he could.
He lost to Buchberger though and he had a lot of unfair fights.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2017, 09:19 PM
GMR

Are we seriously having this discussion. Look at Pronger's fight card. Guy was very choosy on who he'd fight. Imagine him having the balls to take on a Dave Schultz. Barnaby was never a great fighter and Pronger was a lot bigger than him. Is that the highlight of Pronger's fight card? At least Robinson fought a guy like Stan Jonathan who was small but a great fighter.

GMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2017, 09:20 PM
GMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Howe vs. Lindros, a bloody draw
Chara vs. Lindros, quick fight that ends in a draw because of Charas wrestling
Probert vs. Lindros, Probert on a KO in the second half of the fight.
Robinson vs. Lindros, Robinson easily.

Ray vs. O'Reilly, with the tie down rule, O'Reilly without a doubt in my mind

Messier vs. Gillies, Gillies takes this or Messier manages to hold on for a draw.

Jonathan vs. Domi, I think Jonathan was technically better than Domi. So Stan wins this narrowly.

Neely vs. Iginla, draw.

Howe vs. Cashman, Howe wins on on power.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for fight I want to see?

Chris Pronger vs anyone who can actually fight. Its amazing how little this guy actually fought compared to his style. Biggest spot picker in NHL history. Toughest opponents he ever fought was basically Barch, Old man Chelios and Old man Buchberger.
As I said in my post, Neely took on enforcers. He has a more impressive fight card and was a better fighter. Iginla wouldn't have a chance in that fight.

Old
09-17-2017, 10:01 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR View Post
As I said in my post, Neely took on enforcers. He has a more impressive fight card and was a better fighter. Iginla wouldn't have a chance in that fight.
Iginla fought enforcers as well with good results. Saying he wouldnt have a chance i hyperbole. There might be a small edge to Neely though.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2017, 10:55 PM
GMR

Quote:
Iginla fought enforcers as well with good results. Saying he wouldnt have a chance i hyperbole. There might be a small edge to Neely though.
He has some tough guys on his card like Tocchet, McCarty, and Boll, but Neely has guys like Semenko, Wells, Tiger Williams, Tocchet, McRae, Nilan, Baumgartner, Clark, and Ewen. No competition there. He played in a tougher era and fought tougher guys. He had more of a mean streak than Iginla had. Neely takes Iginla easily in a 10 fight series.

Old
09-18-2017, 05:12 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
You forgot Stojko vs Lindros...
Yeah, talk about a rumour that literally went beyond what you would expect it to. If I recall the whole thing literally started because one of them was at or near the other one's cottage in the summer once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrinos View Post
Clark vs Domi would be interesting
Yes it would. Clark wouldn't back down, we know this. Neither would Domi. The thing is Domi wouldn't get hurt either. It doesn't mean he wouldn't lose but I get the feeling Clark would wonder why he is punching a guy with all of his might and his opponent is still smiling.

Quote:
Are we seriously having this discussion. Look at Pronger's fight card. Guy was very choosy on who he'd fight. Imagine him having the balls to take on a Dave Schultz. Barnaby was never a great fighter and Pronger was a lot bigger than him. Is that the highlight of Pronger's fight card? At least Robinson fought a guy like Stan Jonathan who was small but a great fighter.
Alright, fair enough. Yeah, I mean, we all know how feared Pronger was, I think a lot of that had to do with his size and the fact that he was dirty so you just didn't want to poke the bear. I just can't find a time like Howe for instance where he got in that one fight that scared others off. Gillies has that time against Schultz, and Robinson too. In fact, it is sort of hard to even picture and remember what Pronger looked like "throwing them".

Quote:
Easily mightve been the wrong word. I just think Robinson would have a clear win. Guy was a giant killer.
I hear what you are saying, but how many players have a "clear win" against Lindros? Even Robinson I just have to wonder.

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2017, 05:17 PM
Big Phil

Scott Stevens is another guy who rarely lost, at least not clearly. He lost to Lindros in 1993 that one time. Probert a couple of times. But that's the thing, he has a very impressive fight card. He took on the heavyweights. Probert, Brown, Nilan, Behn Wilson, Dave Brown, Tocchet, Lindros. Even Berube, Nystrom and Manson are tough customers.

I like Stevens in a fight against Pronger for sure, no doubt. Even when he fought much less in the second half of his career he didn't seem to pick his spots. Still fought Bertuzzi.

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2017, 06:15 PM
Dennis Bonvie

PJ Stock vs Dennis Bonvie

Kevin Morrison vs Tony Twist

Orland Kurtenbach vs Nick Fotiu

Joey Kocur vs John Ferguson

Clark Gilles vs John Kordic

Chris Simon vs. John Wensink

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2017, 09:57 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

Quote:
How about Clark against the field? He had that one loss against Probert, just once, and that is all I can see on tape to be honest. He killed Cam Neely once. Never thought to hesitate against McSorely either.
Pretty sure Tocchet got the best of Clark the one time they clashed. Would have loved to have seen a rematch, though.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2017, 05:00 PM
GMR

Quote:
Alright, fair enough. Yeah, I mean, we all know how feared Pronger was, I think a lot of that had to do with his size and the fact that he was dirty so you just didn't want to poke the bear. I just can't find a time like Howe for instance where he got in that one fight that scared others off. Gillies has that time against Schultz, and Robinson too. In fact, it is sort of hard to even picture and remember what Pronger looked like "throwing them".
Gillies' reputation came largely off the fight where he broke Ed Hospodar's face and really hurt him bad. I remember hearing that Gillies by his own admission was reluctant to fight after that. He was a scary man and there's a reason why his PIM numbers were somewhat low for a tough guy. Not many people wanted to mess with him and he had a long fuse.

Old
09-21-2017, 06:06 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Gillies' reputation came largely off the fight where he broke Ed Hospodar's face and really hurt him bad. I remember hearing that Gillies by his own admission was reluctant to fight after that. He was a scary man and there's a reason why his PIM numbers were somewhat low for a tough guy. Not many people wanted to mess with him and he had a long fuse.
I thought Gillies' rep started when he handled Schultz as a rookie.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2017, 06:11 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
Schultz had been handled in Junior. How he got away with what he did in the NHL no idea. Ooooo. Scared. Gimme a break....
Dennis Bonvie vs John Brophy ... now that I'd pay folding money to see.... and I dont like your chances Son. Goin down.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2017, 06:34 PM
Canadiens1958

True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Schultz had been handled in Junior. How he got away with what he did in the NHL no idea. Ooooo. Scared. Gimme a break....
Dennis Bonvie vs John Brophy ... now that I'd pay folding money to see.... and I dont like your chances Son. Goin down.
Dave Schultz finished his junior career with Sorel in the MMJHL, season before the QMJHL was formed.

Kevin Morrison gave him quite a beating in St. Jerome and a few others also handled him easily. Why he never impressed Montreal or province of Quebec hockey followers.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2017, 07:00 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Dave Schultz finished his junior career with Sorel in the MMJHL, season before the QMJHL was formed.

Kevin Morrison gave him quite a beating in St. Jerome and a few others also handled him easily. Why he never impressed Montreal or province of Quebec hockey followers.
Indeed. Sorel Blackhawks but... a farm boy from the west. A little unusual that he'd wind up in Sorel no?... Put up a lot of PIM's, graduating to the EHL & AHL, same story, brought up to Philly along with Don Saleski.... To Schultzs' credit he did score 20 goals one year and a couple of important/seminal goals for the Flyers during the Playoffs however yes, he was one player I didnt care for and not because he was someone you "loved to hate" because he was an effective agitator.... but because of his histrionics, idiocy. He wasnt "edgy" he was a Loony Toon. Something he admitted to & regretted post career..... I guess you know about the "Schultz Rule" C58 but for those who dont.... he broke his hand or wrist in a fight, had the Trainer tape it up like a Boxers, and dont doubt for a second foreign objects likely inserted, washers, lugnuts... mimicked by others, outlawed by the NHL...

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2017, 08:07 PM
Canadiens1958

Last Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Indeed. Sorel Blackhawks but... a farm boy from the west. A little unusual that he'd wind up in Sorel no?... Put up a lot of PIM's, graduating to the EHL & AHL, same story, brought up to Philly along with Don Saleski.... To Schultzs' credit he did score 20 goals one year and a couple of important/seminal goals for the Flyers during the Playoffs however yes, he was one player I didnt care for and not because he was someone you "loved to hate" because he was an effective agitator.... but because of his histrionics, idiocy. He wasnt "edgy" he was a Loony Toon. Something he admitted to & regretted post career..... I guess you know about the "Schultz Rule" C58 but for those who dont.... he broke his hand or wrist in a fight, had the Trainer tape it up like a Boxers, and dont doubt for a second foreign objects likely inserted, washers, lugnuts... mimicked by others, outlawed by the NHL...
Last season where you had easy in season movement between the junior leagues plus the west had its own issues with the CAHA.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2017, 08:26 PM
ICM1970

Maybe I'm stretching the topic here a little bit, but what about one tough team versus another? I can remember reading about how the 1976 Leafs versus Flyers series involved one or a couple of incidents that caught the attention of then provincial Attorney General Roy McMurtry. In all honesty, that series probably would have been child's play compared to a series between the 1948 Toronto Maple Leafs and the 1975 Philadelphia Flyers when considering ones like Barilko, Kennedy, Ezinicki, Watson, and Mortson against Schultz, Saleski, Kelly, and Dupont.

Others tough teams fantasy series to consider:

1954 Detroit Red Wings versus 1975 Flyers
1948 Leafs versus 1980 New York Islanders
1972 Boston Bruins versus 1984 Edmonton Oilers

ICM1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2017, 10:02 PM
GMR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
True, but after he KO'd Hospodar, his fight totals went down drastically. It's true that he was a tough guy before that, but after that fight nobody seemed to want any of him.

Old
09-23-2017, 07:37 PM
whatname

Pronger vs Rob Blake
Derian Hatcher vs Chara

whatname is offline   Reply With Quote