HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tim Gleason

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-06-2014, 09:34 AM
  #76
Bardown warrior
Registered User
 
Bardown warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,155
vCash: 500
Never was really a fan... Too slow imo and can barely shoot the puck it looks like.
Yeah he can block shots but his decision making is so poor some nights it leave me scratching my head. With all of that being said, he's the least of worries, guys like Franson are 10X worse in every facet of defensive play its embarrassing.


His contract is absolutely terrible, but that's Nonis' fault for bringing the guy in when he chose not to buy out komisarek (who had one year left on his deal) instead of liles... This was all too make room for david clarkson btw.... sigh

Bardown warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 09:36 AM
  #77
Woodman19
#TeamBernier
 
Woodman19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Martin View Post
In the beginning fans loved this guy but I don't see anyone talking about him now, it is like he is invisible for the last month.

What's your verdict on him as a player?
Usually invisible defenseman mean they are doing there job and nothing more. There is nothing wrong with that and he should be a steady player on the blueline next year. I was actually having a conversation with my girlfriend earlier about this. Rielly for example at the beginning of the year was noticeable for his mistakes, then he went invisible because he wasn't making many mistakes and how he is noticeable because hes making great play after great play.

Woodman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 10:12 AM
  #78
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,788
vCash: 500
Under a better defensive system Gleason can be better. 4M for 2 years is not going to kill this team. Hope he bounces back. Can still be a solid 5 or 6 guy.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 10:43 AM
  #79
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Martin View Post
In the beginning fans loved this guy but I don't see anyone talking about him now, it is like he is invisible for the last month.

What's your verdict on him as a player?
I would argue that in leaf land , when a player "goes invisible" that's a sign that he is doing what is expected of him, no more, no less. Kinda like Gunner.

I think I need to see more of him.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 10:47 AM
  #80
Stephen
Registered User
 
Stephen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 31,433
vCash: 500
His game really fell off the wheels lately. Everything looked so promising earlier.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 11:34 AM
  #81
McGuiresMonsters
Registered User
 
McGuiresMonsters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,062
vCash: 500
He's been dreadful post-Olympics. At least Randy took note and limited his minutes. I think he's probably gotten worse since he's been here. He was surprisingly efffective when he first came over, but that's rarely the case now.

McGuiresMonsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 11:35 AM
  #82
thewave
Registered User
 
thewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Under a better defensive system Gleason can be better. 4M for 2 years is not going to kill this team. Hope he bounces back. Can still be a solid 5 or 6 guy.
Gleason can be a 4, he is the least of our worries

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 11:40 AM
  #83
mcleex
Registered User
 
mcleex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igy View Post
Having Gleason in the playoffs is going to be awesome.

mcleex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 11:46 AM
  #84
Leafswillrulesometim
Registered User
 
Leafswillrulesometim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: T.O./saskatchewan
Posts: 2,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuiresMonsters View Post
He's been dreadful post-Olympics. At least Randy took note and limited his minutes. I think he's probably gotten worse since he's been here. He was surprisingly efffective when he first came over, but that's rarely the case now.
He finished learning the Leafs system.


Honest to god, I'm pretty sure this is how it went. He was a full 100% effort every shift kind of D-man when he first came here. That slowly started fading away. He still does work his ass off to win battles down low, but the dog-****ing fowards will never give him any puck-support. I honestly think he just started saying "**** it, why am I even still trying." with this team. I do not blame him one single bit either. Why should he work his ass off when nobody else on the team is?

If you're at a job where everyone ****s the dog and barely gets anything done with no repercussions from the boss, are you going to work hard? 99% of the time, probaby not. Especially in a hockey players' case where the money is already in the bank.

Leafswillrulesometim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 11:49 AM
  #85
Diatomic
~~~ NAZEM KADRI ~~~
 
Diatomic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Air Canada Centre
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,584
vCash: 500
He's been so bad lately, so so bad. He looked fantastic his first 5 games but now he looks like a pylon.

Diatomic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 11:51 AM
  #86
thewave
Registered User
 
thewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatomic View Post
He's been so bad lately, so so bad. He looked fantastic his first 5 games but now he looks like a pylon.
The team does no play for Randy period.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 11:55 AM
  #87
jimmycarter
Registered User
 
jimmycarter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 3,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diatomic View Post
looked fantastic his first 5 games but now he looks like a pylon.
that's still 3 more games looking good than franson....

jimmycarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 12:17 PM
  #88
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,585
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafswillrulesometim View Post
He finished learning the Leafs system.


Honest to god, I'm pretty sure this is how it went. He was a full 100% effort every shift kind of D-man when he first came here. That slowly started fading away. He still does work his ass off to win battles down low, but the dog-****ing fowards will never give him any puck-support. I honestly think he just started saying "**** it, why am I even still trying." with this team. I do not blame him one single bit either. Why should he work his ass off when nobody else on the team is?

If you're at a job where everyone ****s the dog and barely gets anything done with no repercussions from the boss, are you going to work hard? 99% of the time, probaby not. Especially in a hockey players' case where the money is already in the bank.
It's called "conforming to the norm" it's actually an inherent survival instinct.

Do you think he would conform differently in say Bostons locker room?

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 12:29 PM
  #89
thewave
Registered User
 
thewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
It's called "conforming to the norm" it's actually an inherent survival instinct.

Do you think he would conform differently in say Bostons locker room?
Wiser claps. This team literally has blue and white disease and I think it rode in this year on a Devil.

Clarkson drags this team down.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 12:41 PM
  #90
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 27,930
vCash: 500
Gleason was a salary dump for a reason. He has his strengths, but he's slow and struggles to keep up with the play. $4 million is a lot to pay for a bottom pairing dman that needs his minutes/match ups to be sheltered.

EazyB97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 12:53 PM
  #91
Tak7
Registered User
 
Tak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: GTA or the UK
Posts: 6,688
vCash: 500
There's worse contracts on this team.

Also - he's showed value at times while he has been here. Under a decent defensively structured team, he can be an asset still, and as already mentioned, his contract isn't too bad at 4 x 2.

He's also got bags of experience, which is pretty important for guys like Gardiner, Rielly, and potentially any of the Marlies that try and make this team next season.

In short - there's enough reasons to keep Gleason around in a bottom pairing / 7th Dman role.

Would rather have him than Liles, to be honest.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 07:31 PM
  #92
Cap'n Flavour
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Romania
Posts: 2,776
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
A $4 million #7 D. Great.

Gleason is garbage, he'll still be here next year because he's slow and dumb, has no offensive ability and isn't very good defensively either. Maybe if Nonis is lucky he can con some clueless GM into taking him but I doubt it.

I at least thought he could skate decently, but nope. Whatever ability he had before his injuries is gone. I like the idea of Gleason as a reliable, decent skating, hard-hitting mid-pairing D but the reality is quite different.

Cap'n Flavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 06:51 PM
  #93
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!
 
Tyler Biggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,130
vCash: 500
I don't see how Gleason would possibly get bought out, he was more stable than any other Leafs d-man last year, provides toughness and leadership that they otherwise lack, and is a warrior in every sense of the word. If anything, he's alternate captain material on a team that has little to no leadership.

Tyler Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 07:00 PM
  #94
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,788
vCash: 500
I wouldn't mind if a team would take him off our hands, but he is ok as a 6th D man for us. A bit expensive but not a big deal for only 2 more years.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 07:01 PM
  #95
johnny_rudeboy
Registered User
 
johnny_rudeboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Karlstad
Country: Sweden
Posts: 11,004
vCash: 500
He mixed good with bad performances but he is still a solid veteran and only signed for 2 more years, dont really care about the cap hit with that term.

And he can play with grit and toughness.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 07:06 PM
  #96
thewave
Registered User
 
thewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,810
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I wouldn't mind if a team would take him off our hands, but he is ok as a 6th D man for us. A bit expensive but not a big deal for only 2 more years.
Gleason is a 4D, honestly no jokes he is good but fell into the herd and system after 20 games and went down hill. It's the trainers the asst coaches all that. He really is good and would like if he could prove that and then we trade him after he is hot.

I like Gleason better than Dion an I don't hate Dion at all.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 07:21 PM
  #97
cannucky
Registered User
 
cannucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
I seriously doubt half you guys ever laced up the skates and in some cases even turned on the TV , Gleason is a solid player and was most effective when paired with Ranger another solid player , neither of them was stellar when paired with the kids because the kids don't play to the system and Reilly can't play D at all he's too small when it comes to banging and doesn't win puck battles in the corner , if this team is going to have any D at all they need to keep these 2 together . Gardner is starting to learn how to play D at this level and at least he can throw his weight some and win some of the battles in the corner , put Gards with Gunner send Reilly down to mature and we all know what to do with the Pylon and Franson- free up 12 mil in cap space to buy their replacements with .

cannucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 07:23 PM
  #98
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats
 
Kyle Doobas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,646
vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
He mixed good with bad performances but he is still a solid veteran and only signed for 2 more years, dont really care about the cap hit with that term.

And he can play with grit and toughness.
Now if we could just get Shanahan to do that to some of our other players, we'd be in business.

Kyle Doobas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 07:41 PM
  #99
yubbers
Legally Binding Love
 
yubbers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Biggs View Post
I don't see how Gleason would possibly get bought out, he was more stable than any other Leafs d-man last year, provides toughness and leadership that they otherwise lack, and is a warrior in every sense of the word. If anything, he's alternate captain material on a team that has little to no leadership.
Jebus

You consider a salary dump from Carolina that would only see ice time on a d core as bad as the leafs as alternative captain material?

I'm speechless.

yubbers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2014, 09:46 AM
  #100
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!
 
Tyler Biggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,130
vCash: 500
Gleason thank you for what you did hopefully some of it was installed in the youth of this team.

Tyler Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.