HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice III

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-15-2017, 10:34 AM
  #876
dlam
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlam View Post
Just walked out of Pro Hockey Life with new pair of Jetspeed Black for 399.00
Been holding off to buy a new pair
Have 10 year Tacks that need to be replaced
Didnt think I would like it cause I tried a pair of 280 earlier this year and felt pinching at my forefoot
However the Jetspeed Black were EE and felt very comfortable

Hope this pair works out well.
Just an update one month since I bought this pair and now starting to feel comfortable a Jetspeed as my main pair over my Tacks, I have been switching back and forth .
Pros- Jetspeed much stiffer boot and heel locks in well
Cons- Had them baked and the inlets are tighter to lace up compared to my leather Tacks. I like having a bit softer material around the inlets so I can tighter up my laces and have a more custom feel. It felt a bit sore around the forefoot with the Jetspeed but not unbearable to skate with.

Also had my Jetspeed profile to 10-13 radius. My old Tacks were rockered to 9-10 radius with a pitch and that was the biggest adjustment. I used to played more forward and on my toes more but starting to play D now and the blade on the ice helps my backwards mobilty , The neutral profile made it easier to skate for longer on the ice but I dont get that "jump" that my Tacks had. I think this has to do with the forward lean I had with my Tacks. so I will try to grind so more off front part of the blade with the Jetspeed to get the forward pitch I want.

dlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2017, 09:54 PM
  #877
dlam
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 125
vCash: 500
Another update.
Been switching back and forth between skates and had CAG profiling done 30-60 and 30-55 on two different skates
The CAG system does not create a radius. It simply provides a flatter surface midsole When I did 30-60 it's didn't make a big difference cause it is similar to a 10 radius The forward 30-55 gave me more forward stability on my toes Surprising skating wasn't much different. What I notice was my slap shot was better as I felt like I could glide and balance on my forward foot better when I went into my shot

dlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 10:57 PM
  #878
jazzykat
Registered User
 
jazzykat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 436
vCash: 500
My LHS doesn't have high end supremes in stock. They aren't terribly knowledgeable but I'd like to give them a shot because they should be able to bake my skates and help me squeeze them around my feet. Does the 1s fit like the low end Supremes so they can order them for me, or do I need to ask them to order me multiple skates (not sure if they're going to do it) so I can get the right size?

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2017, 11:37 PM
  #879
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 4,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
My LHS doesn't have high end supremes in stock. They aren't terribly knowledgeable but I'd like to give them a shot because they should be able to bake my skates and help me squeeze them around my feet. Does the 1s fit like the low end Supremes so they can order them for me, or do I need to ask them to order me multiple skates (not sure if they're going to do it) so I can get the right size?
What's the highest end model they have?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 09:34 AM
  #880
rh71
Registered User
 
rh71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 1,162
vCash: 500
Is it me or do youth skates even at the "top end" like the X900 have brittle runners? They chip and dull so quickly and often after sharpenings (compared to my adult "tuuk stainless" and current LS4). Is it true the youth "tuuk stainless" are more cheaply made than the LS1/LS2 runners? If true, I can't wait to get my kids out of youth sizing so I can get something with LS1+.


Last edited by rh71: 06-19-2017 at 10:03 AM.
rh71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 11:35 AM
  #881
jazzykat
Registered User
 
jazzykat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
What's the highest end model they have?
They have Supreme and Nexus, I am sure they don't have anything higher than an S180 in the Supreme line and they may not even have that one in my size. I'm looking at getting either the top or 1 below top in whatever skate fits me best.

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 01:34 PM
  #882
jazzykat
Registered User
 
jazzykat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 436
vCash: 500
I have another question about stiffness as well:

I came from the CCM U+CL to an RBZ and am now looking again for skates, but from what I can tell those boots were softer than most current offerings and even perhaps the last models 2014-2016. I thought the CLs were good (because they fit pretty well) but they went soft enough after 2 years that my coach and team mates both said that the boot was super soft. Then I changed to RBZ, where my self fitted/baked RBZs were SOOO much better in terms of comfort and performance (even though I was a much worse skater 2 years ago) and they were supposed to be a bit stiffer.

I'm about 200lbs and have very strong legs (doesnt' always translate into a strong stride...I know) so the top of the line boots never really made me feel like I was being held back in my progress but technology has made them stiffer yet, and I have yet to understand what too stiff is and if I encounter it how would I know in the shop by just trying the skates on?

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 05:16 PM
  #883
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 4,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
They have Supreme and Nexus, I am sure they don't have anything higher than an S180 in the Supreme line and they may not even have that one in my size. I'm looking at getting either the top or 1 below top in whatever skate fits me best.
Not sure if this is really helpful but obviously the higher end you try, the closer the fit because of the materials/build, even though technically the fit profile should be the same down the line. We've seen that it can still be difficult to compare top end (i.e. composite boots) to low end (i.e. nylon/plastic) because the materials react differently to the break-in and to heat.

I would say strive for a 180 or at the very least a 170 in your size. Anything below 170 you're taking a respectable risk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
I have another question about stiffness as well:

I came from the CCM U+CL to an RBZ and am now looking again for skates, but from what I can tell those boots were softer than most current offerings and even perhaps the last models 2014-2016. I thought the CLs were good (because they fit pretty well) but they went soft enough after 2 years that my coach and team mates both said that the boot was super soft. Then I changed to RBZ, where my self fitted/baked RBZs were SOOO much better in terms of comfort and performance (even though I was a much worse skater 2 years ago) and they were supposed to be a bit stiffer.

I'm about 200lbs and have very strong legs (doesnt' always translate into a strong stride...I know) so the top of the line boots never really made me feel like I was being held back in my progress but technology has made them stiffer yet, and I have yet to understand what too stiff is and if I encounter it how would I know in the shop by just trying the skates on?
This is different for everybody, but the key is that it should be stiff enough to offer enough support while not being stiff enough to impede movement and agility. It shouldn't feel like a cast. I would say that if you were very comfortable to the stiffness in the RBZs, then moving to a top end Supreme would be an easy transition, especially given the slightly lower cut boot and flexible tendon guard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Is it me or do youth skates even at the "top end" like the X900 have brittle runners? They chip and dull so quickly and often after sharpenings (compared to my adult "tuuk stainless" and current LS4). Is it true the youth "tuuk stainless" are more cheaply made than the LS1/LS2 runners? If true, I can't wait to get my kids out of youth sizing so I can get something with LS1+.
True, reasoning is that there isn't much need to have high end steel in a youth skate.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2017, 11:56 PM
  #884
jazzykat
Registered User
 
jazzykat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Not sure if this is really helpful but obviously the higher end you try, the closer the fit because of the materials/build, even though technically the fit profile should be the same down the line. We've seen that it can still be difficult to compare top end (i.e. composite boots) to low end (i.e. nylon/plastic) because the materials react differently to the break-in and to heat.

I would say strive for a 180 or at the very least a 170 in your size. Anything below 170 you're taking a respectable risk.

This is different for everybody, but the key is that it should be stiff enough to offer enough support while not being stiff enough to impede movement and agility. It shouldn't feel like a cast. I would say that if you were very comfortable to the stiffness in the RBZs, then moving to a top end Supreme would be an easy transition, especially given the slightly lower cut boot and flexible tendon guard.


True, reasoning is that there isn't much need to have high end steel in a youth skate.

Thanks! I think the best they have is a S170 and that may or may not be in my size. THey also have the Nexus 6000.

Regarding stiffness, putting on the RBZs was like putting on turbo sofas on my feet and this was coming from the CL which wasn't supposed to be a bad skate. I think I did try on a Supreme 1S and it felt dreamy but I had a thick sock on and I normalloy skate barefoot (so I wasn't actually fitted but it might have shown that I can actually fit my funky feet into an EE width Supreme) and once I have to shell out $950 then complete custom VH makes more sense.

So one last question to cut through the marketing bull is the MX3 and 1S significantly different skates? It definitely seemed like the MX3 had serious new features compared to an NXG but I'm just not seeing the revolution on the 1S.

BTW, thank you so much for your answers. IMO, you are mostly the reason that this subforum is still so valuable because reddit while more active has randos on it that are not skate gurus like yourself! All Hail AIREAYE the skate god!

jazzykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2017, 10:48 PM
  #885
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 4,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzykat View Post
Thanks! I think the best they have is a S170 and that may or may not be in my size. THey also have the Nexus 6000.

Regarding stiffness, putting on the RBZs was like putting on turbo sofas on my feet and this was coming from the CL which wasn't supposed to be a bad skate. I think I did try on a Supreme 1S and it felt dreamy but I had a thick sock on and I normalloy skate barefoot (so I wasn't actually fitted but it might have shown that I can actually fit my funky feet into an EE width Supreme) and once I have to shell out $950 then complete custom VH makes more sense.

So one last question to cut through the marketing bull is the MX3 and 1S significantly different skates? It definitely seemed like the MX3 had serious new features compared to an NXG but I'm just not seeing the revolution on the 1S.

BTW, thank you so much for your answers. IMO, you are mostly the reason that this subforum is still so valuable because reddit while more active has randos on it that are not skate gurus like yourself! All Hail AIREAYE the skate god!
Thanks man! I'm not as active as before, but I'll still help when I can.

No, the 1S has a couple more bells and whistles. Your best value is probably the S180 or 190.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.