HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Old games you enjoyed that you'd love to see get a 'current gen' sequel?

Old
02-05-2013, 11:57 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
Has a sequel...and it's pretty definitive what happens to the old cast..lol.

I doubt chrono break ever comes out.
I'm curious as to how exactly you would write or stage another Chrono Trigger game. Is it good enough to just stick with the same sort of scenario as the original but on a different world with different characters? That doesn't sound too appealing, but when you try something different like they did with Chrono Cross then it doesn't really feel like a Chrono Trigger sequel

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:47 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
With any luck that will be Wasteland 2
I really do hope so man, I even gave them more money than I should have

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 03:15 AM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Project Snowblind. Battle Hunter. NHL Hitz. MLB Slugfest. Battletanks. Star Wars Battlegrounds (the 3rd one was supposedly scrapped though :/ ). Chaser... and I'm sure I'm the only one who has ever played that game, but it was good... but I don't know how the ending will work with a sequel.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 08:52 AM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
I'm curious as to how exactly you would write or stage another Chrono Trigger game. Is it good enough to just stick with the same sort of scenario as the original but on a different world with different characters? That doesn't sound too appealing, but when you try something different like they did with Chrono Cross then it doesn't really feel like a Chrono Trigger sequel
I think the "problem" with Chrono Cross (even though its pretty beloved these days) is that there were too many characters, it was hard to care about them. In addition, the stark gameplay differences and what they did do the CT cast made people angry. The game as a whole is pretty good though.

There are a bunch of fans that try to consider Cross non-canon, but SE stabbed them in the heart upon the DS rerelease of CT by including all the events leading up to Cross. It's similar to why SE avoids touching FF6 aside from the GBA update, because the backlash to Cross at the time made them realize that making sequels to things isn't always a good idea.

Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
I think the "problem" with Chrono Cross (even though its pretty beloved these days) is that there were too many characters, it was hard to care about them. In addition, the stark gameplay differences and what they did do the CT cast made people angry. The game as a whole is pretty good though.

There are a bunch of fans that try to consider Cross non-canon, but SE stabbed them in the heart upon the DS rerelease of CT by including all the events leading up to Cross. It's similar to why SE avoids touching FF6 aside from the GBA update, because the backlash to Cross at the time made them realize that making sequels to things isn't always a good idea.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post

This is different, this was a property designed to have sequels (same with FFX), you can tell this just because of the amount of time between games.

FF7 is the example for unintended sequels, and they aren't exactly beloved.

Old
02-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Regardless, FF13 and all its spawn, suck.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
Regardless, FF13 and all its spawn, suck.
Good thing that's an opinion

I actually rather enjoyed 13's gameplay (story is another issue) and 13-2 seemed like a major improvement and a step back in the right direction. Don't know enough about 13-3 to judge yet.

Edit: On topic, the one old school game that I really want a sequel to is.. Super Mario RPG. Of course, it'll probably never happen

Old
02-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Lost Horizons
Everybody Wants Some

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw24 View Post
I want Resident Evil 2..... none of this new control crap or changing it to an action game...

all i want is RE2 with a graphics update/overhaul.... leave everything else alone, dont change the cameras, controls or the cheesey sound effects. just graphics
while not exactly what your looking for:

Capcom Producer: Resident Evil Reboot Is Possible

Quote:

In an interview about the upcoming Resident Evil: Revelations port for consoles and PCs, producer Masachika Kawata said that the Resident Evil horror franchise might receive a reboot to accommodate an "open-world" approach.

"If we did [go with an open-world], we would want to preserve what Resident Evil is and what makes it appealing to fans, while also making it accessible to new players," Kawata stated. "It would almost entail having a slight reboot to get the series into a place where it would work with open-world gameplay. That's just a personal opinion. A lot of decisions would have to be taken before something like that is done to the series, but it is something that...there is a possibility."

However, the wait for an "open-world" Resident Evil game is still far into the future.

"If anyone is waiting for an open-world Resident Evil, I think it will certainly be quite a while," Kawata said.

He explained that after Resident Evil: Revelations is released on consoles, CAPCOM will look at the title's feedback from fans and critics before deciding how to move forward with the franchise.

"Moving forward I can see us focusing even more on the horror aspect and fear in the series, and see us making something scarier than we have already," Kawata said. The series has continued to add more action to its formula with later releases, a fact Kawata said was to stay relevant in Western markets.

Biohazard/Resident Evil: Revelations will arrive on the PlayStation 3, Wii U, Xbox 360, and PC platforms in North America on May 21. It will then ship in Japan on May 23, and in Europe on May 24.

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Inub0i
I will Q

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Not exactly a sequel, but rather a full blown reboot of the Star Fox series; or at least a TRUE sequel to Star Fox 64. Adventures wasn't bad, but I just couldn't get why they did it. Story kind of spiraled down hill from there into the mess that is Command which ma or may not be canon.

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 12:37 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Leisure Suit Larry - Rated 18+

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 01:36 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post
Not exactly a sequel, but rather a full blown reboot of the Star Fox series; or at least a TRUE sequel to Star Fox 64. Adventures wasn't bad, but I just couldn't get why they did it. Story kind of spiraled down hill from there into the mess that is Command which ma or may not be canon.
Adventure is an old Rare game they were developing called Dinosaur Planet. In the end, they didn't think a new IP would sell, so they refurbished the game with Star Fox characters.

Old
02-06-2013, 01:50 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Leisure Suit Larry - Rated 18+
lol, well they're remaking LSL 1. It should be out sometime within the next few months. Alpha testing is supposed to start at the end of next week.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...me-again/posts

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 06:59 PM
LSnow

I would love a DS / PS portable or for similar system a sequel to the real GTA1 / 2 / london. Those were amazing games.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Orpheus
Valar Morgulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
I would love a DS / PS portable or for similar system a sequel to the real GTA1 / 2 / london. Those were amazing games.
Isn't that what Chinatown Wars was? I never played it but I remember it being a top down GTA..I think. There's also Retro City Rampage, which is very similar to the old GTA games, except even crazier.

Old
02-06-2013, 07:18 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipNash27 View Post
lol, well they're remaking LSL 1. It should be out sometime within the next few months. Alpha testing is supposed to start at the end of next week.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...me-again/posts
There is a God!

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 07:39 PM
blue425

Zillion for the sms. 2.5D Metroidvania style please.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2013, 11:50 PM
The Gourmet
Potage Le Magnifique

Dark Cloud

The Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2013, 03:36 PM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

Star Wars Battlefront

Leafs at Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

I would love to see a new game in the Planescape world. Don't care if it's on console or PC. In fact, I'd buy any console if it had that game released for it.

Helpoing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2013, 04:44 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
Desert Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpoing View Post
I would love to see a new game in the Planescape world. Don't care if it's on console or PC. In fact, I'd buy any console if it had that game released for it.
Unfortunately TSR discontinued Planescape. That's one of the reasons a spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment is in the works in a different setting.

SniperHF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 12:09 PM
Helpoing
21st c schizoid man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Unfortunately TSR discontinued Planescape. That's one of the reasons a spiritual successor to Planescape: Torment is in the works in a different setting.
Wow. I did some research after your post and found out about the current preproduction of a new Torment game (article @ RPS). Quite excited and will most certainly participate in their Kickstarter. I just hope that this "comeback" is not akin to the ones that rock bands usually make (i.e. total disasters).

Helpoing is offline   Reply With Quote