HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

2013-14 Free Agent, Trades, and Proposals - Part 7

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2014, 10:08 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Healy View Post
McClements lack of offence prevents him from being a solid 3rd line center for long periods of time. That cant be denied

Kulemin plays on the 2nd and 3rd line. He was really good last season when paired with Kadri and Lupul. At the very least, Kulemin is a solid 3rd line player

Kulemin is on pace for 14 goals while McClement is on pace for 2 goals. Yeah theres a difference

What source do you have that Kulemin is going ask for much more money than McClement or is that just speculation on your part?
Like Komorov he will have KHL leverage when demanding salary.

Old
01-02-2014, 10:19 AM
Cor
I'm Not Drunk

vCash: 50
JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - ????
????? - ????? - Clarkson
D'Amigo - ????? - Orr
McLaren, Ashton

Phaneuf - Gunnersson
??????? - ???????????
Rielly - Gleason
?????

Bernier
??????

Those are our holes that we need to fill.

Kulemin, McClement, Bolland, Ranger, Reimer, Gardiner, Franson, Raymond, Holland, Fraser and Smith all needing to be signed.

Personally, I think I want to see something like this;

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - Vrbata/Callahan/Moulson
Holland - Bolland - Clarkson
D'Amigo - McClement - Komarov**
McLaren, Ashton, Orr

Phaneuf - Gunnersson
Gardiner - Franson/Niskanen/Robidas*
Rielly - Gleason
Ranger/

Bernier
Reimer/Elliot***

*Robidas would depend on how he recovers from his injury obviously.

**Komarov would be great coming back, depends on how much he wants

***If we can move Reimer to move up in the draft, or get a 2015 first + prospects, then I think we should do that and sign a good backup in Elliot. If not then I would still be very happy bringing Reimer back.

Old
01-02-2014, 10:24 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

development >> trades that will hopefully benefit our team.

Old
01-02-2014, 10:25 AM
pooleboy
#buildthrewthedraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraSphere View Post
Lol the only wishful trade that kept coming to my mind was Kadri + Reimer for Gagner + 1st.

I doubt edmonton would do it, but man that would just be friggen awesome.
only if that pick is top5. i dont watch gagner often but imo gagner kadri is more of a lateral move.

Old
01-02-2014, 10:28 AM
chilfactor

I don't think there are any untouchables on this team. If Nonis trades Kadri, it will be for another young guy to fill a hole. How anyone can say there's zero reason to trade him is beyond me. If you can improve the team, you do it.

And as for Steen, everyone is talking about him now because of this season, an anomaly. He's a 15-20 goal scorer

Old
01-02-2014, 10:33 AM
Indicate

Trading Kadri would be a mistake. You guys wanting to trade him are probably the same ones that didn't believe in him when he was drafted. For those that forgot already, he played a significant role in getting us in the playoffs last year. I still remember some of the backlash he was getting for not producing goals in the playoffs then all of a sudden he scores a goal in the last game. Unfortunately some people think playing several average games means a trade. This is being thought of across leafs boards and this goes for fraser, bozak, kessel and others that get thrown under the bus for not having great nights. What a joke. Us leafs fans should be fortunate we have players like him. He is part of the puzzle.

Last edited by Indicate: 01-02-2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old
01-02-2014, 10:36 AM
Al14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillman40 View Post
Big gulp...

Jake Gardiner for Brett Connolly
No more Connolly. Had one, did not like!

Old
01-02-2014, 10:46 AM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Healy View Post
McClements lack of offence prevents him from being a solid 3rd line center for long periods of time. That cant be denied

Kulemin plays on the 2nd and 3rd line. He was really good last season when paired with Kadri and Lupul. At the very least, Kulemin is a solid 3rd line player

Kulemin is on pace for 14 goals while McClement is on pace for 2 goals. Yeah theres a difference

What source do you have that Kulemin is going ask for much more money than McClement or is that just speculation on your part?
Ideally McClement is our 4th line centre when we have a healthy centre depth chart: Bozak, Kadri, Bolland, McClement.

McClement gets so much ice time because he plays the most PK time in the league. That alone takes him above 10 minutes a game, which is about right for a guy like McClement. He can play 3rd line shutdown minutes pretty well, but ideally you'd like to have a guy like Bolland or Holland to put the puck in the net once in a while.

The problem is paying your 4th line centre 2+ million per year, but when he provides some of the best penalty killing ability in the league you can live with it. Having Clarkson (5.25) and Kulemin (4.0) on your 3rd line is not acceptable. D'Amigo should only improve with time and should be the perfect cost-effective 3rd liner going forward. He skates, hits, penalty kills and creates offensive chances...the same that Kulemin is currently capable of doing.

Old
01-02-2014, 10:51 AM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Ideally McClement is our 4th line centre when we have a healthy centre depth chart: Bozak, Kadri, Bolland, McClement.

McClement gets so much ice time because he plays the most PK time in the league. That alone takes him above 10 minutes a game, which is about right for a guy like McClement. He can play 3rd line shutdown minutes pretty well, but ideally you'd like to have a guy like Bolland or Holland to put the puck in the net once in a while.

The problem is paying your 4th line centre 2+ million per year, but when he provides some of the best penalty killing ability in the league you can live with it. Having Clarkson (5.25) and Kulemin (4.0) on your 3rd line is not acceptable. D'Amigo should only improve with time and should be the perfect cost-effective 3rd liner going forward. He skates, hits, penalty kills and creates offensive chances...the same or more than Kulemin is currently capable of doing.
There's no way in hell Kulemin is going to get $4M. Not even on the open market.

Old
01-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Esquandolas View Post
There's no way in hell Kulemin is going to get $4M. Not even on the open market.
He'll get at least 3 million somewhere. So would you rather have Kulemin at $3M or D'Amigo at $0.8M?

Old
01-02-2014, 11:02 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

Quote:
He'll certainly get more than 3M. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 3.5M or higher from the right team.

Old
01-02-2014, 11:04 AM
Daisy Joy
optimism recharging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cor View Post
JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Lupul - Kadri - ????
????? - ????? - Clarkson
D'Amigo - ????? - Orr
McLaren, Ashton

Phaneuf - Gunnersson
??????????? - ???????????
Rielly - Gleason
?????

Bernier
??????

I agree with this assessment

I would actually try moving Clarkson to play with Lupul & Kadri. he can be our 2nd/3rd line rover depending on the situation.

going by reports
McClement, Bolland are in talks to be extended so I'd pencil them in.

Gardiner
Holland

will be tendered very fair RFA contracts (truthfully - I don't even see why Nonis would bridge either of them), I'd give Gardiner a longish cheap contract and same with Holland, and let them cook in our system, then payout later.

Reimer

Nonis will probably wait to see what he can get at Draft Weekend vs: will Reimer be satisfied being a #2 backup. (regardless of what anyone says, Bernier's the #1 here now, even if Reimer channels his inner Halak). the price would have to be about the same we paid for Bernier (prospects + a pick)

Smith

is interesting. Randy was high on him on how he filled in. IF we can keep him cheap and let him be the Marlies captain.

Kulemin

I like him, but i'd trade him to Pittsburgh and get whatever we can get for him

Raymond and Franson

see if we can get picks for them.
I don't know if Raymond will stay for a cheap contract. Franson - as much as I like him can go because we need to shore up with more experience.

Ranger
we can wait on him. the fact he only wants to play for Toronto means we can sign everyone and then sign him.

Fraser
trade or let him walk

I'd try to get Boyle on the back end (or Robias)
Moulson for a winger

I wonder what will really spark Komarov to actually sign with Toronto - minutes or money. i

Last edited by Daisy Joy: 01-02-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old
01-02-2014, 11:09 AM
Patience

Holland isn't coming remotely close to outplaying Nazem Kadri. I hope that's obvious. Kadri is a better offensive player, a better defensive player and despite his size he's also more physical. You can't say "never" about trading any player but if your reasoning is that Holland will make Kadri redundant, it's way too early to make that judgment.

As for Steen, his goal scoring this season is an anomaly. He's got for him an unprecedented Shooting Percentage of 20.5% this season. He'd have 12 to 15 goals in a normal season for him. Still, where Steen is missed is that he's very defensively responsible, plays hard every shift and is a terrific penalty killer. He's a more mobile version of what the Leafs went out this past off-season to acquire in Dave Bolland. His skating has improved substantially since he was a Leaf where his effort was never questioned but at times he could be a step behind. Now that isn't a problem.

Old
01-02-2014, 11:09 AM
Marco Esquandolas
Registered Abuser

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
He'll get at least 3 million somewhere. So would you rather have Kulemin at $3M or D'Amigo at $0.8M?
Why not both? If the idea is to get better, shouldn't D'Amigo be pushing McLaren out of the lineup rather than Kulemin?

Old
01-02-2014, 11:10 AM
The Legend
Stamkos in 2016

I'm excited for when we trade Kadri and the familiar Nonis supporters come on here and tell us how since Holland has emerged, we no longer have room for Naz.

Basically exactly how it played with the Grabo buy out.

Old
01-02-2014, 11:13 AM
Mclovin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Joy View Post
Bernier's the #1 here now, even if Reimer channels his inner Havlat).
Just out of curiosity, what does this mean?

Old
01-02-2014, 11:16 AM
Daisy Joy
optimism recharging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mclovin View Post
Just out of curiosity, what does this mean?
typo by me, sorry!
I meant Halak.

but basically, even if Reimer plays as well as Halak did during the Habs playoff run, Bernier's still going to be the guy like Price is the guy in Montreal.

i think Nonis will have to decide though what's better picks OR prospects

Old
01-02-2014, 11:18 AM
wam_raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
I'm excited for when we trade Kadri
me too. hated him since day one. overrated, soft, one-way player. not to mention he is disrespectful, and either doesn't listen to his coaches when they're speaking, or doesn't understand grade-school level English vocabulary.

Old
01-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Cor
I'm Not Drunk

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Legend View Post
I'm excited for when we trade Kadri and the familiar Nonis supporters come on here and tell us how since Holland has emerged, we no longer have room for Naz.

Basically exactly how it played with the Grabo buy out.
Except Grabo was actually terrible and it was a great move to get rid of him.

Kadri and Bozak > Grabo

Old
01-02-2014, 12:21 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Quote:
Why not both? If the idea is to get better, shouldn't D'Amigo be pushing McLaren out of the lineup rather than Kulemin?
I think they'll have a tough time adding so much money to the bottom six. The focus should be on the defense in the offseason, and top 4 defensemen don't come cheap on the UFA market.

Closed Thread