HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Around the League: Is it too late to scoreboard watch?

Old
04-12-2014, 09:57 PM
Joe McGrath

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedgreen View Post
Does Hayes have to sign an entry level deal, or is he a true ufa? I stopped caring about keeping up with the rules. If he's a true ufa the reason for not signing is obvious. If he has to sign an elc anyway, he either had a particular team in mind or wants more playing time.

I'd be pissed if I was Chicago, not like you could sell yourself any better.
You could sell yourself better by not being completely loaded. The difference between an NHL and AHL salary on an ELC isn't exactly negligible.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 10:35 PM
Anton Bubdobin
RANGERS WIN

Christ. As if it weren't bad enough to play goal for the Sabres, now it seems like that position is cursed. What do they have, like four goalies on the injured list now?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sabres-...5223--nhl.html

Anton Bubdobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 11:44 PM
Carolinas Identity
Rangers Bandwagon

I don't like the Canucks, but I have to admit, that was classy. Well done Vancouver.

Carolinas Identity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 12:31 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

IIRC, the Flames did something similar when Linden retired.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 09:47 AM
HisIceness
Michal Jordan

All these playoff avatars make me sad that our own bunch fails to qualify every year. Imagine the fun we could have with our own, but no

HisIceness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 09:57 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
Makes me like the idea of doing an avatar theme of the great fails/busts of Canes history heading into next season. Maybe a little bit of pre-emptive negativity is just what we need.

Pretty sure that Kev has a pre-emptive claim on Igor Knyazev even if I've never seen him with an avatar on here before.

DaveG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 10:53 AM
Anton Bubdobin
RANGERS WIN

I'm totally for that. Create a Canes version of an MLB "negative WAR" team. I'm pretty sure someone's had an Anson Carter avatar at some point...

Anton Bubdobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 12:37 PM
Joe McGrath

Dibs on Jeff Hereema. I thought that schmo was going to be the real deal. Whoops.

Old
04-13-2014, 12:50 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
I dibs this one.

Cardiac_Canes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 03:37 PM
Carolinas Identity
Rangers Bandwagon

Dibs on Dwight Helminen

Old
04-13-2014, 03:41 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinas Identity View Post
Dibs on Dwight Helminen
What do you plan to do, take a picture of the jersey on your back and use that as an avatar?

Head Goose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 03:50 PM
Carolinas Identity
Rangers Bandwagon

Unless you got a better idea?

Old
04-13-2014, 09:46 PM
Novacane
RIP UT

Daniel Sedin just got stretchered off. That really sucks.

Novacane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2014, 01:08 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

If anyone missed it, Selanne and Giguere had one of the coolest moments after last night's game.

http://guardianlv.com/2014/04/nhl-sh...l-daily-video/

Quote:
The NHL regular season came to an end on Sunday night, and while there is a break in the schedule as some teams prepare for the playoffs and others for the golf course, there is no better time to look back at some of the recent events. The league is losing some legendary players to retirement this year, and at the twilight of their careers, they are honored not only by the fans and their teammates, but by the opponents they faced off against for many, many years. Whether it was in Edmonton or Anaheim, the end of the regular season showed that after the buzzer sounds, the NHL remains a community in the end.

Old
04-15-2014, 11:51 AM
Boom Boom Anton

So Andrew MacDonald get's 6 years, $5M AAV. Seems a bit steep for a guy not even getting to UFA, doesn't it? I'm guessing someone else would have given him this (and probably more) if he hit the market, but seems like a lot to me.

Can't even imagine what Sekera will get if he has a repeat season this coming year.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 11:55 AM
Novacane
RIP UT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
So Andrew MacDonald get's 6 years, $5M AAV. Seems a bit steep for a guy not even getting to UFA, doesn't it? I'm guessing someone else would have given him this (and probably more) if he hit the market, but seems like a lot to me.

Can't even imagine what Sekera will get if he has a repeat season this coming year.
What?

Novacane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 11:57 AM
These Is The Times
HFBoards Sponsor

It's a hard position to be in with Sekera. Do you try sign him now for potentially less and risk that this year was an aberration and it really becomes an overpayment? Especially if we do end up going with a new coach, who knows if he excels the way he did this year? Do you wait until next year and maybe he has a Tlusty like step back, or maybe he does the same thing again and you have to break the bank in similar fashion to MacDonald. It almost goes back to the sentiment of some to trade Tlusty last offseason off a high mark that might not be repeatable, but Sekera is probably much more important at this point, so trading him would be crazy.

Anyways, I'm glad we didn't have to be the ones giving that contract to MacDonald. He doesn't strike me as anything that special.

These Is The Times is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 12:05 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Here's Puck Daddy's take (FWIW). Kind of humerous.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...145530186.html

Quote:
So, he plays over 20 minutes and excels at doing something (blocking shots) that will eventually lead to an injury that will have him playing zero minutes.

OK then.

It’s the hockey world’s default setting to be critical of any contract handed out by the Flyers, but that’s because they make it so easy. MacDonald just went from making $550,000 to making $5 million next season.
Quote:
In 19 games with the Flyers, the numbers show they’ve been a better team with MacDonald off the ice. It was the same case last season when MacDonald was with the Islanders, too. Broad Street Hockey attempted to pinpoint the problem in the neutral zone, but being a turnstile at the blue line doesn't seem like a correctable aspect of his game.

The money is what it is. It’s the Flyers and the cap’s rising. But six years is a lot of years for Andrew MacDonald. And that's now two Islanders defensemen that the Flyers are building their defense around.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 12:14 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post

Yeah that one made me say "wait... what?" You have legit top pairing guys that are already better in McDonagh and Faulk making 4.7 and 4.8 respectively long term. A guy like MacDonald who's a nice #3 doesn't make sense getting that kind of money in this current environment.

Honestly makes me fear what we're going to have to shell out to keep Sexy around next season if he has another one like this. Anything shy of 5.5 for 3 to 5 years I'd be fairly comfortable with.

Old
04-15-2014, 12:16 PM
Joe McGrath

If this guy can get $5 mil for 6 years off a season and a half of being Tim Gleason circa 2009 why the **** did we have a lockout? Idiots, ****ing idiots all of them.

Old
04-15-2014, 12:21 PM
Chicago Made Punk
Unregistered Loser.

vCash: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Yeah that one made me say "wait... what?" You have legit top pairing guys that are already better in McDonagh and Faulk making 4.7 and 4.8 respectively long term. A guy like MacDonald who's a nice #3 doesn't make sense getting that kind of money in this current environment.

Honestly makes me fear what we're going to have to shell out to keep Sexy around next season if he has another one like this. Anything shy of 5.5 for 3 to 5 years I'd be fairly comfortable with.
Walsh is Sexy's agent which is another issue.

Chicago Made Punk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 12:30 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Made Punk View Post
Walsh is Sexy's agent which is another issue.
Yikes, did not know that. Yet another reason for me to be in favor of drafting Fleury if Ritchie's off the board before our pick.

Old
04-15-2014, 12:32 PM
Chicago Made Punk
Unregistered Loser.

vCash: 274
Not to gloat or anything, but I remember the discussions myself and some others were some having about Taylor Hall (both his overall abilities and merits as a hockey player and his potential deservedness for making Team Canada).

I am pleased to announce that Taylor Hall owns.

Other Reference For Taylor Hall's Hockey Doing Prowess

What? Even more?

These Are Numbers Tracked by stat keepers which tell us that Taylor Hall is good

Clearly the best LW in the league wow!

Last edited by Chicago Made Punk: 04-15-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Chicago Made Punk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 12:54 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Hall plays for the Oilers. Therefore, he's a bad player because the Oilers are a bad team.