HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League: Playoffs Edition

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2014, 11:32 PM
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Nunymare
LOL just as I post that. Sigh.

Wanted to see one of LA, CHI, BOS, or PIT go down in Round 1 but I guess that won't happen...

Old
04-28-2014, 11:32 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
What a goal by Kopitar. Wow.
Great player. Seriously. Hope he wins the Selke this year.

Old
04-28-2014, 11:33 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunymare View Post
Come on SJ. Don't ****ing complete the choke job
Well maybe Oiler fans can switch their sights to Sharks players who will be on their way out in a blow up haha

Old
04-28-2014, 11:34 PM
doulos

Wow. The Sharks. Uggghhhh.

Old
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Great player. Seriously. Hope he wins the Selke this year.
Me too. Huge Fan.

Old
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

If the Sharks lose this series, no way McLellan keeps his job.

Old
04-28-2014, 11:35 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

And here come the fireworks....

Old
04-28-2014, 11:41 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

You just knew something was about to go down.

Old
04-28-2014, 11:49 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

Another Game 7 on Wednesday between LA - SJ

Old
04-28-2014, 11:56 PM
Philly85
Moody'

I think SJ will win. First goal will be crucial.

Old
04-29-2014, 12:00 AM
Del Preston
Pass to Purcell

Horrible miscall by Chris Lee. CBC is quoting rule 78.5 but ignoring the play was textbook goalie interference. Stalock is in his crease and Williams pushes him. 69.3 would overrule whatever it was they are quoting.

Old
04-29-2014, 12:01 AM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
If the Sharks lose this series, no way McLellan keeps his job.
yea putting a backup goalie when you have niemi. i'll be honest i think fleury is a horrendous goalie, crawford on most teams is a backup or third stringer, but there coaches stick with them. This isn't belfour where he had hasek, or even luongo who had schneider you put a back up at home in l.a. cmon that's just a "cmon man" moment.

The problem of this whole team, which someone mentioned the other day with chicago they were down 2 games and you just have a solid group of guys who think its not over, same as l.a. San Jose always has 2 things that work against them - 1) is a demeanour that everything has to go right, and smooth = no adversity 2) they also seem to have a culture that has someone to blame when it wasn't joe thornton to blame it was always marleau, then when he stepped up it was always nabokov, now who will it be...its ridiculous they need to man up game 7

Old
04-29-2014, 12:03 AM
Niet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
Horrible miscall by Chris Lee. CBC is quoting rule 78.5 but ignoring the basic rule: it was textbook goalie interference. Stalock is in his crease and Williams pushes him.
Ron MacLean can't say a bad word about referees. I use to be a referee and that was a ****ing horrendous miss by Chris Lee. There is simply no excuse, he was in position to make the proper call.

Old
04-29-2014, 12:05 AM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
Horrible miscall by Chris Lee. CBC is quoting rule 78.5 but ignoring the play was textbook goalie interference. Stalock is in his crease and Williams pushes him. 69.3 would overrule whatever it was they are quoting.
This is the reason most rule books especially in nfl and hockey are blatantly stupid, because you should be able to rule the "whole play" so what if you can rule parts of a play like did it go in before the whistle, but you can't rule that he was pushed in.

or the other day when the colorado player was over the line (clearly offside) but its non reviewable. View it as a crime all pieces of evidence are valid

Old
04-29-2014, 12:11 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
I don't think that goal should count
Me either.

The rule is worded poorly.

Its open to interpretation...but...the "idea" of the rule is to prevent situations where the puck is frozen under the goalie and an offensive player gouges/pokes/pushes on the goalie causing the puck to be jarred into the net.

This is exactly what happened on this play & therefore it shouldn't have been a goal.

Defenders of the call will say Stalock wasn't "pushed into the net"...so...good goal, right?

No. I would say the wording of the rule lacks definition because it doesn't specify what constitutes the goalie being "in" the net. Stalock's right foot touched the goal line. That's enough to constitute being "in the net" as far as I'm concerned.

Old
04-29-2014, 12:19 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I grant you that Hawks have overpayed for some players. Sharp suddenly looking like one of those, Hossa, possibly another. It hurts that both are longterm. But you're kidding yourself if you think Hawks don't move anybody else rather than Toews, Keith, Kane.

From a marketing perspective alone it would be insane for the Hawks to do that. These guys are HERO's in Chicago. Keys to the city and all that. That's off the ice. On the ice its incomprehensible that either would be dealt.

Gotta say it too theres no way Kane is = to Toews. I could see Toews getting a big deal and Kane playing with a bit of hometown discount. Chicago is a big market, both of these players I would think make more money in Chicago right now than they would anywhere else all advertising deals considered.

Toews is marketable, and already has some top endorsements and advertising deals. Even with his contract being less money, the actual money he pulls in puts him around 14th overall. Only 2 other players in the league make more endorsement money than Toews. Anybody knows who they are.
The endorsement money isn't going to be the clincher in talking either of the Hawks superstars into staying in CHI because they'll obviously get endorsement dollars no matter where they are. It always comes down to the contract.

Both players are going to be get huge pay days. And in order for CHI to stay as a dominant force against the competition they're in with...both need to stay from a CHI point of view.

Thing is...29 other team see what's transpiring here & you've got to think a few GM's are going to go for the jugular if they get a chance at either of these guys...and there is nothing to say someone can't try & sign them both!

I honestly don't think the chances are great for CHI to lose them both...but...keeping them isn't going to come on the cheap.

Your admitting they're "must sign" guys...and you know the market well enough to admit that means things will end up tight to the cap when 2 huge names have SO MUCH leverage.

Old
04-29-2014, 12:31 AM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
The endorsement money isn't going to be the clincher in talking either of the Hawks superstars into staying in CHI because they'll obviously get endorsement dollars no matter where they are. It always comes down to the contract.

Both players are going to be get huge pay days. And in order for CHI to stay as a dominant force against the competition they're in with...both need to stay from a CHI point of view.

Thing is...29 other team see what's transpiring here & you've got to think a few GM's are going to go for the jugular if they get a chance at either of these guys...and there is nothing to say someone can't try & sign them both!

I honestly don't think the chances are great for CHI to lose them both...but...keeping them isn't going to come on the cheap.

Your admitting they're "must sign" guys...and you know the market well enough to admit that means things will end up tight to the cap when 2 huge names have SO MUCH leverage.
your treating kane and toews like kariya or yashin - guys who only played for the money. they should worry about rfa signings to bottom guys i could see bickell, shaw, saad, those kind of guys nabbed.

Old
04-29-2014, 12:42 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowbyBlow View Post
your treating kane and toews like kariya or yashin - guys who only played for the money. they should worry about rfa signings to bottom guys i could see bickell, shaw, saad, those kind of guys nabbed.
Fair enough.

Bottom line is cost is going up in CHI.

And yes...they found answers the last time they faced this situation.

Objectively...there was some luck involved.

Arguably...there was a tonne of luck involved.

Its more likely they take a step back than hold ground or improve.

Old
04-29-2014, 12:55 AM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
Fair enough.

Bottom line is cost is going up in CHI.

And yes...they found answers the last time they faced this situation.

Objectively...there was some luck involved.

Arguably...there was a tonne of luck involved.

Its more likely they take a step back than hold ground or improve.
I think more so in today's nhl as compared to pre 2005 cba you couldn't have gaps in your team. Now we see teams who lack great goaltending Chi, Pitts, Det - San Jose 2005- till last year (i think Niemi is a solid goaltender)

but they have a #1 defender or 2 and they can roll 4 lines. That's why I have felt that the Pittsburgh model or Washington, or alot of these teams who have high end players is flawed you pay x player 8-9 million and then you lose other guys. An example was TB when they were paying Richards and Lecavalier all that money then had to pay st. louis, so then they lose Khabibulin, and it became a house built on a stack of cards.

Chicago at the time probably felt Byfuglien, Ladd, Versteeg, Niemi, even last year Bolland were untouchables cause of how they performed. I guess the only argument would be is if they can't find gems. They really remind me of Detroit again in that they had Yzerman, shannahan, lidstrom, chelios, no bonafide goaltender. They had Hull, robatialle came along, Federov for a long stretch, and then they got Zetterberg, Datsyuk. As long as they can reproduce from that stable they will be fine.

Closed Thread