HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Baseball
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Baseball MLB, MiLB, NCAA, International

2017 World Baseball Classic

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-25-2017, 02:04 PM
  #301
robert terwilliger
the bart, the
 
robert terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: sw florida
Country: United States
Posts: 23,095
vCash: 500
because more people have espn.

mlb is trying to push their network onto more packages and carriers. having exclusive content that people want to watch is key to that.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2017, 02:25 PM
  #302
G F O P
Registered Baller
 
G F O P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 258,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
because more people have espn.

mlb is trying to push their network onto more packages and carriers. having exclusive content that people want to watch is key to that.
By the same logic we should only have the Super Bowl on NFL Network for ratings purposes.

Why don't we only put the World Series on MLB Network? It's a MLB property, sure, but there's a trade-off here. Don't you people realize this. If the WBC was on FS1 or 2 it would explode ratings wise. Instead, nobody saw it because it ain't on most cable packages!!

G F O P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2017, 08:43 PM
  #303
Tecumseh
Scorched Earth
 
Tecumseh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Camarillo, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,594
vCash: 500
Probably because the WBC doesn't generate as much capital as the World Series or the Super Bowl. It wouldn't make close to zero sense from a business perspective to air those events exclusively on MLB or NFL Network

Tecumseh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2017, 05:23 AM
  #304
robert terwilliger
the bart, the
 
robert terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: sw florida
Country: United States
Posts: 23,095
vCash: 500
one of the reasons mlb kept it on their own network is exactly because it's not on most cable packages.

mlb is trying to expand their network. they had exclusive content that people wanted to watch. if they couldn't watch it, some will take it up with their cable company but otherwise this will come up as mlb tries to expand and can now say "we have our own tournament on our network".

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2017, 06:24 PM
  #305
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 24,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by G F O P View Post
False. The TV business works by ratings and exposure. While MLB network did see an uptick in ratings the exposure would have been higher had it been on fs or ESPN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
one of the reasons mlb kept it on their own network is exactly because it's not on most cable packages.

mlb is trying to expand their network. they had exclusive content that people wanted to watch. if they couldn't watch it, some will take it up with their cable company but otherwise this will come up as mlb tries to expand and can now say "we have our own tournament on our network".
Bingo.

Ix, don't tell anyone they don't understand the TV business. Ratings aren't everything. The rights to this tournament would get very little - comparing it to the World Series and Super Bowl is nonsense.

MLB sees it as good business to keep this for themselves.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 09:28 AM
  #306
cutchemist42
Registered User
 
cutchemist42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Bingo.

Ix, don't tell anyone they don't understand the TV business. Ratings aren't everything. The rights to this tournament would get very little - comparing it to the World Series and Super Bowl is nonsense.

MLB sees it as good business to keep this for themselves.
So hard to hind 2009 WBC ratings for ESPN. The best I could find was the Korea/Japn final got about 1.8mil. Those ratings sound a lot higher than what ESPN got for the WCoH, which they paid about $8mil for I heard.

What would a WBC actually be worth?

cutchemist42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 09:50 AM
  #307
Winger for Hire
Burn Your Hero!
 
Winger for Hire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 10,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
So hard to hind 2009 WBC ratings for ESPN. The best I could find was the Korea/Japn final got about 1.8mil. Those ratings sound a lot higher than what ESPN got for the WCoH, which they paid about $8mil for I heard.

What would a WBC actually be worth?
Probably not enough to outweigh the exposure to the MLB Network.

Winger for Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 05:03 PM
  #308
bluesfan94
#PetroforNorris
 
bluesfan94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 22,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by G F O P View Post
By the same logic we should only have the Super Bowl on NFL Network for ratings purposes.

Why don't we only put the World Series on MLB Network? It's a MLB property, sure, but there's a trade-off here. Don't you people realize this. If the WBC was on FS1 or 2 it would explode ratings wise. Instead, nobody saw it because it ain't on most cable packages!!
What about Thursday Night Football?

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2017, 07:22 PM
  #309
robert terwilliger
the bart, the
 
robert terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: sw florida
Country: United States
Posts: 23,095
vCash: 500
i'm sure any amount wouldn't fit both sides.

espn would probably want to tie it into their deal to air their stupid weekly game where they talk about everything else but the game at hand plus the few games they get to broadcast a week.

mlb would again likely put a high price on it because, again, it is exclusive baseball content that people actually want to watch at a time of year where basically nothing interesting is going on on the field.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.