Notices

Soccer Discuss leagues around the world and the World Cup

MLS Thread: Now With More Uniteds!

Old
09-09-2017, 11:42 PM
gphr513
Watch the world burn

vCash: 500
Loons drew with Philly tonight. VAR took away a penalty from us, which was a bummer, but a buddy who was watching at home texted me and said it was probably justified.

Ethan Finlay continues to impress me. Really happy that he is on the team.

"Great moments are born from great opportunities." -Herb Brooks
gphr513 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2017, 08:55 PM
kingsboy11
retake the throne

You know the apocalypse is near when Gyasi Zardes scores in 2 consecutive games

kingsboy11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2017, 11:47 AM
gphr513
Watch the world burn

Danladi with an absolute stunner to beat Montreal. That was a great result, travelling across the continent, another away game, short rest. Nice to see Ramirez score in his return, but Danladi's goal literally made me jump out of my barstool! The people around me not watching the game were confused

Danladi goal

Old
09-18-2017, 11:06 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphr513 View Post
Danladi with an absolute stunner to beat Montreal. That was a great result, travelling across the continent, another away game, short rest. Nice to see Ramirez score in his return, but Danladi's goal literally made me jump out of my barstool! The people around me not watching the game were confused

Danladi goal
You guys coulda been a playoff contender if they woulda brought a legit DP or two. Real shame.

KingLB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2017, 12:00 AM
Brock Anton
flames #badnwagon

Ives reporting that Heaps is out in New England.

On one hand I'm thrilled about this, but on the other I'm scared because knowing this club, they'll just promote Soehn or Llamosa and not even bother having a search. But assuming (hoping) we actually go outside the organization, IMO Gio Savarese should be the guy. He could be able to do wonders with the attacking talent we've got.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2017, 07:41 AM
gphr513
Watch the world burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
You guys coulda been a playoff contender if they woulda brought a legit DP or two. Real shame.
Yeah, if we had a legit #10, and a couple more solid depth players with MLS experience at DM and CB, I think we would be a fringe playoff team.

Scouting misses (Demidov/the Scandinavians) and a lack of depth are really what sunk us, I think.

That trade with Colorado though, where we picked up Cronin and Burch, was so crucial. Burch has been hurt a majority of the season, but Cronin was a massive stabilizer.

Old
09-19-2017, 07:53 AM
gphr513
Watch the world burn

So with 2 new teams coming in next year, the league will be at 24, and they're looking to expand even more, right? If they get up to 28-30 teams eventually, I think it'd be cool to see them treat the two conferences as essentially two different "leagues".

So there's currently 34 games on the schedule, if you had 15 teams in each conference, you could play each team in the conference home and away, which is 28 games. Then the remaining 6 could be a rotating system where you play 6 teams from the other conference every year, just for some variety.

I don't know if that sort of system is viable for the MLS, but I like the idea of being able to play all the teams in your conference home and away, as the league expands even more.

Old
09-19-2017, 05:18 PM
sabremike

Didn't know where to post this but NASL filed an antitrust suit against US Soccer over losing D2 status. Because that worked out so well for the USFL all those years ago.

sabremike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2017, 05:44 PM
kingsboy11
retake the throne

You know your team is bad when you're excited to see how many goals they are going to give up against Atlanta

Old
09-20-2017, 06:32 PM
gphr513
Watch the world burn

Wow, Atlanta shredding the Galaxy.

Old
09-20-2017, 06:53 PM
gphr513
Watch the world burn

Oh man, now LA down a man.

Old
09-20-2017, 07:00 PM
kingsboy11
retake the throne

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsboy11 View Post
You know your team is bad when you're excited to see how many goals they are going to give up against Atlanta
Update: Yup, its going just as bad as I thought it would.

Old
09-20-2017, 07:20 PM
sabremike

Basically they lost the greatest coach in the history of American soccer and replaced him with one who was terrible. The result was very predictable.

sabremike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2017, 07:53 PM
kingsboy11
retake the throne

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabremike View Post
Basically they lost the greatest coach in the history of American soccer and replaced him with one who was terrible. The result was very predictable.
Its not just that. Losing Robbie Keane and placing all your eggs on inconsistent Giovani Dos Santos, Zardes who can't play soccer without Robbie Keane or Landon Donovan, relying on Jermaine Jones when he's a red card and injury waiting to happen, relying on Robbie Rogers whose career was on the line and trading away your fan favorite defender and more than capable defender in De La Garza, starting a USL goalie ahead of last years starter for no good reason, relying on youth players when they clearly were not ready for prime time, hiring a coach who has one of the worst MLS head coaching records in the leagues 21 year history, signing Jonathan Dos Santos because he's the brother of Giovani, not signing a striker because of reasons unknown.

Hell there were polls on Galaxy forums asking when Onalfo would fired before the season started.

Believe me. Every single Galaxy fan knew going in this season was going to be ****. But the absolute worst part about it is that every single player sans Allessandrini gave up. Amazingly enough the only good thing the front office did this year was signing him. And this isn't a quick fix. There's so many holes and so many mistakes that were made that it can't all be undone in a season or 2. We married ourselves to the Dos Santos brothers with no flexibility there.

And the absolute worst part is that they chose to suck at the worst possible time with LAFC coming up in the rear view mirror. They have a magnificent stadium being built, a solid coach in Bradley and doing everything right so far. And they are watching this Galaxy team and see the potential of becoming the premier soccer team in LA.

Old
09-20-2017, 08:11 PM
gphr513
Watch the world burn

Looks like a hell of an atmosphere in KC!

Old
09-21-2017, 08:04 AM
bleedblue1223
Fire Army

Quote:
Looks like a hell of an atmosphere in KC!
Yeah, it was crazy there. Both sides played well, and the ref was consistently inconsistent.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 10:41 PM
gphr513
Watch the world burn

Awesome Loons game tonight. We have one more home game, but I will have to miss it, so this was an awesome game to close out the season.

Some great goals, some general MLS craziness, a whole lot of fun! Back to back wins for the first time this season.

Come on you Loons!

You're my wonderwall.

Old
Yesterday, 11:55 PM
kingsboy11
retake the throne

Quote:
Awesome Loons game tonight. We have one more home game, but I will have to miss it, so this was an awesome game to close out the season.

Some great goals, some general MLS craziness, a whole lot of fun! Back to back wins for the first time this season.

Come on you Loons!

You're my wonderwall.
I've actually grown to love this song because of that video you posted a couple of months ago

Old
Today, 09:55 AM
HajdukSplit

What a collapse by FC Dallas while Petke has gotten RSL in a decent enough position to make the playoffs incredibly (though it helps more than half the teams make it )

Red Bulls limping into the playoffs, they are lucky they still have 2 games with DC United remaining and if they win both it should be enough but beyond those two games their fixtures are brutal (however their matches with ATL and VAN are at home)

HajdukSplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 12:28 PM
gphr513
Watch the world burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsboy11 View Post
I've actually grown to love this song because of that video you posted a couple of months ago
It's a cool tradition. The rest of the stadium is catching on, and it's gotten louder after every win.

When they cut out the audio for the chorus, and it's just the crowd singing, with no music backing, I definitely get some goosebumps.

Last edited by gphr513: Today at 12:39 PM.