HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steven Stamkos' next contract

Old
08-07-2014, 04:39 AM
DFC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmonbozia View Post
Yes to all of this.

He stands to make much more over his career signing a 3 or 4 year deal when he's 26 and an 8 year deal when he's 29 or 30 than he does signing an 8 year deal at 26 and a 4+ year deal when he's 34.
Guys tend to go for security though--the sure thing. Look at Subban, Toews, Kane. No one knows what the future holds. While there's a decent chance Stamkos will squeeze more dollars out of his career by signing a shorter-term contract, there's also a chance he could, say, break a leg, or tear his shoulder out, or do something that hinders his career and makes him wish he'd taken the money when he had the chance. Players tend to take the most amount of money that's available to them at any given time, so I'd be surprised if Stamkos signs for anything less than max term.

DFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 09:34 AM
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine

vCash: 50
Stamkos' agent:

The YzerJesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 09:40 AM
strongbad

90 million over 8 years (11.25).

strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 04:00 PM
Crabby Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by The YzerJesus View Post
Stamkos' agent:

I don't think he would ask for that much, but you never know. Agents are greedy.

Crabby Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Teufelsdreck

Would the Lightning be able to afford Stamkos when the time comes to negotiate? Would it even matter to him?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 07:40 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Would the Lightning be able to afford Stamkos when the time comes to negotiate? Would it even matter to him?
Yes.

MattM92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 09:17 PM
Todd1a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Yes Jeff vinik is not poor dude

Todd1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Todd1a

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
90 million over 8 years (11.25).
It will be 12 or 13 per year

Old
08-08-2014, 09:22 PM
Todd1a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFC View Post
Guys tend to go for security though--the sure thing. Look at Subban, Toews, Kane. No one knows what the future holds. While there's a decent chance Stamkos will squeeze more dollars out of his career by signing a shorter-term contract, there's also a chance he could, say, break a leg, or tear his shoulder out, or do something that hinders his career and makes him wish he'd taken the money when he had the chance. Players tend to take the most amount of money that's available to them at any given time, so I'd be surprised if Stamkos signs for anything less than max term.
Not to smash on leaf fans but stamkos will sign his extension next July as soon as he can get that money locked up! He won't go into his last season without a new contract I can't see it.

Old
08-09-2014, 12:21 AM
xteesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd1a View Post
Yes Jeff vinik is not poor dude
Give it 2-3 years and he'll enter billionaire status. The guy came from literally nothing and is now worth hundreds of millions. We've got a good GM. =)

xteesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 04:33 AM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFC View Post
As a side note, aren't players able to purchase insurance for injuries? I'm sure the compensation wouldn't be close to what signing a long term deal would be, but that would be a mitigating option for players who want to sign short term deals.

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 06:07 AM
Todd1a

Quote:
Originally Posted by xteesy View Post
Give it 2-3 years and he'll enter billionaire status. The guy came from literally nothing and is now worth hundreds of millions. We've got a good GM. =)
Ya I'm sure his net worth is more then what we hear or read. Because I have never seen a lightning owner spend like this guy. He said when he bought the lightning that money is not going to be a issue here anymore. I also think when his sun sports contract is up he gets a better tv deal. If stamkos does leave trust me leaf fans it won't be because of money.

Old
08-09-2014, 10:42 AM
Bolt32

Quote:
"In 1995 Jeffrey Vinik sold almost all of his technology Shares, Unloading nearly 19 billion Dollars worth in eight frenzied weeks."~~~~Pg 37. The Intelligent Investor.

He already is a Billionaire. Assets I believe are just the sum of the things he owns, not his total disposable income.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 08:31 PM
AlwaysSunnyInTampa
Formerly Slapshot91

Vinik is filthy rich. Dude just hands out tens of thousands of dollars on a weekly basis. Especially during the Community Hero segments. I've said this at least once before and I will say it again, if he keeps bringing prestige to our team and championships along with more of the charity he has given he's going to have schools, roads and hospitals named after him.

He is quite possibly one of the best owners in all of professional sports. Remember how they did greatest moments in Lightning history? My #1 was Vinik buying the team. I place that even higher than my #2 of Esposito being granted creation of the franchise with his Japanese banking buddies. I honestly don't want to imagine what could've happened to us if a guy like Len Barrie ran this team any longer. I don't hate Oren Koules at all, at least he tried.

AlwaysSunnyInTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 12:49 AM
Todd1a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyInTampa View Post
Vinik is filthy rich. Dude just hands out tens of thousands of dollars on a weekly basis. Especially during the Community Hero segments. I've said this at least once before and I will say it again, if he keeps bringing prestige to our team and championships along with more of the charity he has given he's going to have schools, roads and hospitals named after him.

He is quite possibly one of the best owners in all of professional sports. Remember how they did greatest moments in Lightning history? My #1 was Vinik buying the team. I place that even higher than my #2 of Esposito being granted creation of the franchise with his Japanese banking buddies. I honestly don't want to imagine what could've happened to us if a guy like Len Barrie ran this team any longer. I don't hate Oren Koules at all, at least he tried.
Ya it's every thing I dreamed of for this team! To get a rich guy like vinik to buy this team that has a strong interest in hockey! That wants to win! I knew when he got yzerman from the redwings that vinik would spend otherwise I doubt yzerman takes this job.

Old
08-10-2014, 12:56 AM
xteesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
"In 1995 Jeffrey Vinik sold almost all of his technology Shares, Unloading nearly 19 billion Dollars worth in eight frenzied weeks."~~~~Pg 37. The Intelligent Investor.

He already is a Billionaire. Assets I believe are just the sum of the things he owns, not his total disposable income.
Not quite, that's in reference to his firm's assets (he ran a hedge fund). He himself is worth between 650-850 million.

Either way, that's a LOT of cash and he's putting his money where his mouth is with Tampa.

Makes me proud to be a Bolt

xteesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 02:28 PM
BoltSTH

Quote:
Not quite, that's in reference to his firm's assets (he ran a hedge fund). He himself is worth between 650-850 million.

Either way, that's a LOT of cash and he's putting his money where his mouth is with Tampa.

Makes me proud to be a Bolt
He ran Fidelity Investments Magellan Mutual. He grow it from a a small fund to the the biggest (at that time); 40% of all NY Stock Exchange transactions involved Magellan. He saw the dot com boom was going to collapse and got out of all those companies, but was 6 months too early, and it cost him his job. He then went off to start his own hedge fund, were he made most of his wealth.

You think your job has pressure. At FI the fund managers were (may still be) assessed on their performance against their competitors every morning; 3 in a row under performing and you were out.

BoltSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 10:47 PM
Todd1a

Jeff vinik makes the glazers and rays ownership look worse everyday! No doubt the lightning are the best run team in this town! Rays are 2nd bucs are last!

Old
08-15-2014, 08:32 AM
Sithere

Well I don't know how I ended up on the lightning board however I saw this thread and thought I'd put I think he gets Atleast 11.5 million a year for 8 years.

Sithere is online now   Reply With Quote