HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steven Stamkos' next contract

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-07-2014, 04:39 AM
  #351
DFC
Registered User
 
DFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmonbozia View Post
Yes to all of this.

He stands to make much more over his career signing a 3 or 4 year deal when he's 26 and an 8 year deal when he's 29 or 30 than he does signing an 8 year deal at 26 and a 4+ year deal when he's 34.
Guys tend to go for security though--the sure thing. Look at Subban, Toews, Kane. No one knows what the future holds. While there's a decent chance Stamkos will squeeze more dollars out of his career by signing a shorter-term contract, there's also a chance he could, say, break a leg, or tear his shoulder out, or do something that hinders his career and makes him wish he'd taken the money when he had the chance. Players tend to take the most amount of money that's available to them at any given time, so I'd be surprised if Stamkos signs for anything less than max term.

DFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2014, 09:34 AM
  #352
The YzerJesus
Turns Piss Into Wine
 
The YzerJesus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: location location
Country: United States
Posts: 4,564
vCash: 50
Stamkos' agent:


The YzerJesus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 09:40 AM
  #353
strongbad
Registered User
 
strongbad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 85
vCash: 500
90 million over 8 years (11.25).

strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 04:00 PM
  #354
Crabby Williams
Registered User
 
Crabby Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,821
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The YzerJesus View Post
Stamkos' agent:

I don't think he would ask for that much, but you never know. Agents are greedy.

Crabby Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 07:36 PM
  #355
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,265
vCash: 500
Would the Lightning be able to afford Stamkos when the time comes to negotiate? Would it even matter to him?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 07:40 PM
  #356
MattM92
Registered User
 
MattM92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,549
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Would the Lightning be able to afford Stamkos when the time comes to negotiate? Would it even matter to him?
Yes.

MattM92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 09:17 PM
  #357
Todd1a
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Would the Lightning be able to afford Stamkos when the time comes to negotiate? Would it even matter to him?
Yes Jeff vinik is not poor dude

Todd1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 09:19 PM
  #358
Todd1a
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongbad View Post
90 million over 8 years (11.25).
It will be 12 or 13 per year

Todd1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2014, 09:22 PM
  #359
Todd1a
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFC View Post
Guys tend to go for security though--the sure thing. Look at Subban, Toews, Kane. No one knows what the future holds. While there's a decent chance Stamkos will squeeze more dollars out of his career by signing a shorter-term contract, there's also a chance he could, say, break a leg, or tear his shoulder out, or do something that hinders his career and makes him wish he'd taken the money when he had the chance. Players tend to take the most amount of money that's available to them at any given time, so I'd be surprised if Stamkos signs for anything less than max term.
Not to smash on leaf fans but stamkos will sign his extension next July as soon as he can get that money locked up! He won't go into his last season without a new contract I can't see it.

Todd1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 12:21 AM
  #360
xteesy
Registered User
 
xteesy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 64
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd1a View Post
Yes Jeff vinik is not poor dude
Give it 2-3 years and he'll enter billionaire status. The guy came from literally nothing and is now worth hundreds of millions. We've got a good GM. =)

xteesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 04:33 AM
  #361
Rschmitz
Registered User
 
Rschmitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Tampa Bay
Country: United States
Posts: 4,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFC View Post
Guys tend to go for security though--the sure thing. Look at Subban, Toews, Kane. No one knows what the future holds. While there's a decent chance Stamkos will squeeze more dollars out of his career by signing a shorter-term contract, there's also a chance he could, say, break a leg, or tear his shoulder out, or do something that hinders his career and makes him wish he'd taken the money when he had the chance. Players tend to take the most amount of money that's available to them at any given time, so I'd be surprised if Stamkos signs for anything less than max term.
As a side note, aren't players able to purchase insurance for injuries? I'm sure the compensation wouldn't be close to what signing a long term deal would be, but that would be a mitigating option for players who want to sign short term deals.

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 06:07 AM
  #362
Todd1a
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xteesy View Post
Give it 2-3 years and he'll enter billionaire status. The guy came from literally nothing and is now worth hundreds of millions. We've got a good GM. =)
Ya I'm sure his net worth is more then what we hear or read. Because I have never seen a lightning owner spend like this guy. He said when he bought the lightning that money is not going to be a issue here anymore. I also think when his sun sports contract is up he gets a better tv deal. If stamkos does leave trust me leaf fans it won't be because of money.

Todd1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 10:42 AM
  #363
Bolt32
Registered User
 
Bolt32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xteesy View Post
Give it 2-3 years and he'll enter billionaire status. The guy came from literally nothing and is now worth hundreds of millions. We've got a good GM. =)
"In 1995 Jeffrey Vinik sold almost all of his technology Shares, Unloading nearly 19 billion Dollars worth in eight frenzied weeks."~~~~Pg 37. The Intelligent Investor.

He already is a Billionaire. Assets I believe are just the sum of the things he owns, not his total disposable income.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2014, 08:31 PM
  #364
AlwaysSunnyInTampa
Formerly Slapshot91
 
AlwaysSunnyInTampa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 357
vCash: 500
Vinik is filthy rich. Dude just hands out tens of thousands of dollars on a weekly basis. Especially during the Community Hero segments. I've said this at least once before and I will say it again, if he keeps bringing prestige to our team and championships along with more of the charity he has given he's going to have schools, roads and hospitals named after him.

He is quite possibly one of the best owners in all of professional sports. Remember how they did greatest moments in Lightning history? My #1 was Vinik buying the team. I place that even higher than my #2 of Esposito being granted creation of the franchise with his Japanese banking buddies. I honestly don't want to imagine what could've happened to us if a guy like Len Barrie ran this team any longer. I don't hate Oren Koules at all, at least he tried.

AlwaysSunnyInTampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 12:49 AM
  #365
Todd1a
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSunnyInTampa View Post
Vinik is filthy rich. Dude just hands out tens of thousands of dollars on a weekly basis. Especially during the Community Hero segments. I've said this at least once before and I will say it again, if he keeps bringing prestige to our team and championships along with more of the charity he has given he's going to have schools, roads and hospitals named after him.

He is quite possibly one of the best owners in all of professional sports. Remember how they did greatest moments in Lightning history? My #1 was Vinik buying the team. I place that even higher than my #2 of Esposito being granted creation of the franchise with his Japanese banking buddies. I honestly don't want to imagine what could've happened to us if a guy like Len Barrie ran this team any longer. I don't hate Oren Koules at all, at least he tried.
Ya it's every thing I dreamed of for this team! To get a rich guy like vinik to buy this team that has a strong interest in hockey! That wants to win! I knew when he got yzerman from the redwings that vinik would spend otherwise I doubt yzerman takes this job.

Todd1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 12:56 AM
  #366
xteesy
Registered User
 
xteesy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 64
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
"In 1995 Jeffrey Vinik sold almost all of his technology Shares, Unloading nearly 19 billion Dollars worth in eight frenzied weeks."~~~~Pg 37. The Intelligent Investor.

He already is a Billionaire. Assets I believe are just the sum of the things he owns, not his total disposable income.
Not quite, that's in reference to his firm's assets (he ran a hedge fund). He himself is worth between 650-850 million.

Either way, that's a LOT of cash and he's putting his money where his mouth is with Tampa.

Makes me proud to be a Bolt

xteesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 02:28 PM
  #367
BoltSTH
Registered User
 
BoltSTH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa
Country: United States
Posts: 1,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xteesy View Post
Not quite, that's in reference to his firm's assets (he ran a hedge fund). He himself is worth between 650-850 million.

Either way, that's a LOT of cash and he's putting his money where his mouth is with Tampa.

Makes me proud to be a Bolt
He ran Fidelity Investments Magellan Mutual. He grow it from a a small fund to the the biggest (at that time); 40% of all NY Stock Exchange transactions involved Magellan. He saw the dot com boom was going to collapse and got out of all those companies, but was 6 months too early, and it cost him his job. He then went off to start his own hedge fund, were he made most of his wealth.

You think your job has pressure. At FI the fund managers were (may still be) assessed on their performance against their competitors every morning; 3 in a row under performing and you were out.

BoltSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2014, 10:47 PM
  #368
Todd1a
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 280
vCash: 500
Jeff vinik makes the glazers and rays ownership look worse everyday! No doubt the lightning are the best run team in this town! Rays are 2nd bucs are last!

Todd1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2014, 08:32 AM
  #369
Sithere
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 779
vCash: 500
Well I don't know how I ended up on the lightning board however I saw this thread and thought I'd put I think he gets Atleast 11.5 million a year for 8 years.

Sithere is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.