HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster speculation 16-17 part 3

Old
Yesterday, 05:31 PM
dotcommunism

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husko View Post
What's the timeline on KHL playoffs? Would be cool if he could come over for a game by season end.
He can't regardless of playoffs. Players who spend part of the season overseas, and aren't on an NHL club's reserve list, have to go through waivers

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 07:42 PM
jvirk

Just retain half the salary on gorges' contract and trade him to whoever wants him.

It would be addition by subtraction.

jvirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 08:17 PM
makeitburn
PUCKGASM

I hope Gorges and Ennis/Moulson just get buried for the 1 mil savings and we sign a couple D to round out the bottom and not gift Guhle a spot. Don't need to trade them if it'll cost us to do so.

makeitburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 08:20 PM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

vCash: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvirk View Post
Just retain half the salary on gorges' contract and trade him to whoever wants him.

It would be addition by subtraction.
What's the point? His contract only runs one more season, and it expires before any Eichel/Reinhart extension kick in. Cap wise they aren't in a rush to move him especially if it would cost assets just to dump him. Play wise, yes it's a good move because he's a negative impact player but it's doubtful Murray can rehaul a blueline replacing half of it with better players then the ones they are replacing.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 10:47 PM
sincerity0

There is ZERO reason to trade or buy out Gorges unless Vegas by the grace of God takes him.

Yes he's a negative impact player. He's bad. Bury him as the 7th D and call it a day. There's no reason to buy him out and eat his cap space for two years. There's no reason to spend a 2-3rd pick to trade him. We are not needing the cap space until after his contract expires.

Giving assets away to clear cap space we don't need (yet) is bad asset management. If Gorges plays the 6/7 role next year I will be content. If he plays top four minutes and 70 games I'll be a little upset.

It's been beaten to a pulp that this team needs an overhaul on d. Everyone knows it. I'm not sure Franson gets brought back. Paul Hamilton says (allegedly) Kulikov hates it in Buffalo, so if that's true, what are the chances he gets brought back?

There's two defensemen gone right there. Antipin? The guy can maybe play in the NHL? Then we have Falk And Fedun... not very promising.

sincerity0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 10:56 PM
Zip15

vCash: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincerity0 View Post
There is ZERO reason to trade or buy out Gorges unless Vegas by the grace of God takes him.

Yes he's a negative impact player. He's bad. Bury him as the 7th D and call it a day. There's no reason to buy him out and eat his cap space for two years. There's no reason to spend a 2-3rd pick to trade him. We are not needing the cap space until after his contract expires.

Giving assets away to clear cap space we don't need (yet) is bad asset management. If Gorges plays the 6/7 role next year I will be content. If he plays top four minutes and 70 games I'll be a little upset.

It's been beaten to a pulp that this team needs an overhaul on d. Everyone knows it. I'm not sure Franson gets brought back. Paul Hamilton says (allegedly) Kulikov hates it in Buffalo, so if that's true, what are the chances he gets brought back?

There's two defensemen gone right there. Antipin? The guy can maybe play in the NHL? Then we have Falk And Fedun... not very promising.
Well, you have $2.6m in savings next season, and $1.3m in dead money in 2018-19. The question for Murray is whether the $2.6m in savings next year is worth the $1.3m in dead money the following year.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Yesterday, 11:07 PM
DJN21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincerity0 View Post

I agree. Its also a potential PR nightmare.

If hes the 7th dman to start the year I'm fine with it. There's not really any organization changing dmen out there in free agency to worry about cap space on anyways. I hope to hell we stay far away from Shattenkirk...

DJN21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Today, 12:39 AM
sincerity0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Well, you have $2.6m in savings next season, and $1.3m in dead money in 2018-19. The question for Murray is whether the $2.6m in savings next year is worth the $1.3m in dead money the following year.
TBH no. It's too late to mess around on cap friendly but given that Eichel will be getting a big contract after next year, I want maximum flexibility regarding the cap in 2018-19.

There is not really any FA defensemen I would want to sign this year. I think the best route is to give maximum cap flexibility going forward. The Sabres are going to have a good amount of high contracts on the roster after next year in Eichel, ROR, Okposo, Risto and maybe Kane if he re-signs. That ~1.3m in 2018 could be veteran depth.

I know it's really a small portion of the cap but given how NHL contracts work regarding the even spacing of cap hits I would like to Sabres to have their options open longer term.

The only thing that sucks is the buyout window closes before the official expansion picks are in so it's not like Buffalo could know for sure if they could trade with Vegas for a defenseman and buyout Gorges

sincerity0 is offline   Reply With Quote