HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Andrey Vasilevskiy

Old
04-18-2014, 09:21 AM
Pronounced Anders
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Maybe the Columbus game changed Coopers mind but I don't think he views Gudlevskis as an NHL backup right now. Think they want much more consistency from him.

I don't see how we just let Lindback walk, we have to qualify him and then think about moving his rights if we don't feel he's a capable backup. We gave up too much to not get anything out of him.
No use throwing good money after bad. Sometimes you miss the flop - gotta fold. Lindback had a good, three game stretch this year, and two years of not meeting (in fact, not coming close to meeting even the most moderate) expectations. I agree that Gudlevskis isn't ready to be an NHL backup, but then again - neither is Lindback.

Pronounced Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 09:30 AM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

vCash: 500
I see no reason for Vasilevsky to come play in the AHL after incredible WJC and KHL season. If he's not promised the NHL time, he will re-sign with the Ufa

ViD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 09:46 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall View Post
Your goaltending dept went from Garon and Smith (who didn't play that great) to Bishop, and all your hard to pronounce Prospect.. Thats why you could afford to trade Tokarski to the Habs.. Yzerman has done a great job since his arrival!
Smith, Ellis, Roloson, Garon, Tokarski, Bishop, Vasi, Janus... its been a revolving door

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 09:46 AM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
I see no reason for Vasilevsky to come play in the AHL after incredible WJC and KHL season. If he's not promised the NHL time, he will re-sign with the Ufa
He doesn't care about that

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 10:23 AM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post
No use throwing good money after bad. Sometimes you miss the flop - gotta fold. Lindback had a good, three game stretch this year, and two years of not meeting (in fact, not coming close to meeting even the most moderate) expectations. I agree that Gudlevskis isn't ready to be an NHL backup, but then again - neither is Lindback.
They wouldn't have to throw good money at him, they just have to qualify him which is just under 2 mil. I think how he play's this series will have a big impact on if we bring him back.

What veteran backup does everyone want? Don't see any that will be a massive upgrade.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 10:30 AM
robertguess2013

Send a message via AIM to robertguess2013 Send a message via MSN to robertguess2013 Send a message via Yahoo to robertguess2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
They wouldn't have to throw good money at him, they just have to qualify him which is just under 2 mil. I think how he play's this series will have a big impact on if we bring him back.

What veteran backup does everyone want? Don't see any that will be a massive upgrade.
I think we tender him but he tells stevie he wants to go myself.

Just my belief he wins this series he has some worth etc.. On a high note turned it around.

So isnt who we want so much anymore I have seen a great improvement in lindy's game even if others want to ignore it. If he wants a shot at number one I see him forcing the issue myself.

robertguess2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 01:54 PM
Caser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopThereItIs View Post
I know a little Rooksie, lets break it down.

Андрей Василевский

A = A.
H = N.
Pagoda deal = D
p = R
e = ye
backwards N = ee

Andrei. Ish.

B = V
a = a
c = s
backwards N = ee
lambda = l
e = ye
B = v
c = s
k = k
backwards N's = ee's.

Vasil(y)evski. It doesn't really matter how it's typed, whether there's a y at the end or not.

Anyway, I'm sure he'll be over. From what I hear, kid wants to be in the NHL more than anything, and he'll do whatever it takes to get here ASAP.
When I first saw some cyrillic letters here, I thought my brain's encoding was broken or smthn

Anyway, your mistake is at the "backwards N's" thing - "и" and "й" are different letters. So Andrey Vasilevskiy would be closer to original in terms of spelling.

About staying or not in the KHL, I think that the only way Vasya resigns with Salavat is if after the training camp he and SteveY decide that it is better for his development to have one more year as a KHL starter, but I think this scenario is rather unlikely.

Caser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2014, 05:54 PM
thewall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I doubt there another team in the league that can compare to the Bolts:

Bishop
Lindback
Gudlevskis
Vasilevsky

Wow. A very impressive stockpile of young netminders. Bishop is just coming into his prime and could very easily pile up a few Vezinas.

What in the world are you going to do with all those other young guys?
at the start of this season you could have argued that ANA was up there too

Hiller
Fasth
Gibson
Anderson

thewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 11:18 AM
v-man

Vas just finished playing an exhibition game with the Russian national team against Latvia. They lost 0-1.

v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 11:51 AM
catcorpse

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
Vas just finished playing an exhibition game with the Russian national team against Latvia. They lost 0-1.
Yup, i wanted to mention about this game. in NT of Latvia debuted GK Ivars Punnenovs also born in 1994 and he's playing in Swiss NLA. He had a really good game, saved the day. And another 1994 gorn GK from Latvia, Elvis Merzlikins is #6 in European goalies, he's also playing in Swiss NLA. Maybe you should reconsider the Vasilevsky "thing"

catcorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 01:59 PM
Namejs

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcorpse View Post
Yup, i wanted to mention about this game. in NT of Latvia debuted GK Ivars Punnenovs also born in 1994 and he's playing in Swiss NLA. He had a really good game, saved the day. And another 1994 gorn GK from Latvia, Elvis Merzlikins is #6 in European goalies, he's also playing in Swiss NLA. Maybe you should reconsider the Vasilevsky "thing"
Vasilevsky is definitely overhyped on these boards. Just like Gudlevskis, to a certain extent.

You never know with goalies. Vasilevsky has played a limited amount of games in pro hockey and he has almost no experience on small ice. And, yes, Vasilevsky is by no means the only goalie in his age group with a high SV% in pro leagues.

He's definitely talented, but way too many people cave in to wishful thinking and assume that his play in the KHL is going to translate to the NHL.

Namejs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 02:34 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcorpse View Post
What Vasilevsky "thing"?

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 02:56 PM
Vasilevski
I ****** Lindback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namejs View Post
Vasilevsky is definitely overhyped on these boards. Just like Gudlevskis, to a certain extent.

You never know with goalies. Vasilevsky has played a limited amount of games in pro hockey and he has almost no experience on small ice. And, yes, Vasilevsky is by no means the only goalie in his age group with a high SV% in pro leagues.

He's definitely talented, but way too many people cave in to wishful thinking and assume that his play in the KHL is going to translate to the NHL.
How many goalies that are 19 (or even 20 or 21) are in the NHL or KHL playing as the starters and having solid numbers? (best two leagues in the world)

In the KHL Vasi is the only one.
In the NHL none.

What he's doing is spectacular for a goaltender of his age.
If not, why not other young goalies of his age are playing in the KHL regularly?

There is no reason to believe his game will not translate. He has all the talent in the world and the work ethic.
I agree that giving it as a sure thing is not a good idea, but so far, so good.

Vasilevski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 03:47 PM
zeykshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
What Vasilevsky "thing"?
I like to refer to him as the player we got for Steve Downie =p

19yo Goalie with solid numbers in the KHL. Seriously, there's nothing about him I don't like. If he gets games in the AHL 50+ for one to two years, he'll be ripe for the NHL. He may ripen quicker, he may fade into obscurity, but right now, he's the best 19yo goalie on the planet.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 05:12 PM
MattM92

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeykshade View Post
I like to refer to him as the player we got for Steve Downie =p

19yo Goalie with solid numbers in the KHL. Seriously, there's nothing about him I don't like. If he gets games in the AHL 50+ for one to two years, he'll be ripe for the NHL. He may ripen quicker, he may fade into obscurity, but right now, he's the best 19yo goalie on the planet.
Oh, trust me, I know about him. I am extremely excited about him. I'm just not sure what that guy meant when he said "Maybe you should reconsider the Vasilevsky 'thing'".

MattM92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 06:20 PM
Pronounced Anders
Believe the Yzerplan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattM92 View Post
Oh, trust me, I know about him. I am extremely excited about him. I'm just not sure what that guy meant when he said "Maybe you should reconsider the Vasilevsky 'thing'".
A couple of Latvians are very excited about Gudlevskis (with reason) - and probably aren't as supportive as Tampa fans are of Vasilevsky. In my mind there's no doubt Vas has the talent to be a top 5 goaltender, and I'm very confident he'll be able to perform in the NHL.

Old
04-19-2014, 09:59 PM
DFC

Quote:
A couple of Latvians are very excited about Gudlevskis (with reason) - and probably aren't as supportive as Tampa fans are of Vasilevsky. In my mind there's no doubt Vas has the talent to be a top 5 goaltender, and I'm very confident he'll be able to perform in the NHL.
Yeah. What he's proving in the KHL, I think, more than anything else, is he has the mental makeup to do it. We all know he has the skills. But, as we often see with Lindback, goaltending is all about a guy's ability to perform under pressure. Vasi was under immense pressure in the KHL playoffs and was outstanding. Some guys thrive in that situation and all indications tell us he's one of those guys.

DFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 10:19 PM
Steve Yzerman
A Great Season

vCash: 805
I'm waiting for that contract signing.

Steve Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2014, 11:02 PM
catcorpse

C'mon guys, don't get too offended, I was just joking around.
I'm not disparaging him, but his career as a pro is just started and some of you already is seeing our lord and savior in him. There's saying "don't say hop before you jump". Someone beats up his wife, some snorts sh@tloads of cocaine.

here's U-20 KHL goalie stats of this season http://www.eliteprospects.com/league...20#goaltending
Here is an answer to them, who's talking about his super stats in KHL - Ilya Sorokin from a really crappy team has a very good stats and he's born in 1995.

Last edited by catcorpse: 04-19-2014 at 11:12 PM.
catcorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2014, 01:52 AM
Namejs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasilevski View Post
How many goalies that are 19 (or even 20 or 21) are in the NHL or KHL playing as the starters and having solid numbers? (best two leagues in the world)
A bunch.

Juuse Saaros
Melvin Nyffeler
the already mentioned Ilya Sorokin
Ville Husso
Elvis Merzlikins
Daniel Dolejs

KHL is not comparable to NHL. It is comparable to SHL, NLA, SM-Liiga, etc. There are only a few KHL clubs (like SKA, CSKA, Salavat, AK Bars) with impressive budgets and almost NHL-tier rosters on paper, but your average KHL club is in no way in the same tier as NHL teams.

Medvescak, which is pretty much entirely made up of former AHL players, easily made the KHL play-offs. And it definitely helps your stats if you're playing in of the better teams.

Old
04-20-2014, 02:09 AM
Namejs

Quote:
I'll rephrase: a couple of Latvians (who follow the KHL on a regular basis and aren't emotionally involved or biased in any way) are somewhat skeptical about the hype surrounding Vasilevsky.

A history of bad goaltending - CHECK
Talented up-and-coming player - CHECK
New toy syndrome - CHECK
OVERHYPE ACTIVATED!

Calling a 19-year-old with 0 NHL experience a 'definite future top 5 goalie' is ludicrous.

And exactly the same applies to Gudlevskis. He has been very inconsistent and has very limited pro experience. Only fanboys can be 'sure' that he will become an NHL starting goalie. No one knows that and it's all a guessing game at this point.

Old
04-20-2014, 06:53 AM
Pronounced Anders
Believe the Yzerplan

Quote:
I'll rephrase: a couple of Latvians (who follow the KHL on a regular basis and aren't emotionally involved or biased in any way) are somewhat skeptical about the hype surrounding Vasilevsky.

A history of bad goaltending - CHECK
Talented up-and-coming player - CHECK
New toy syndrome - CHECK
OVERHYPE ACTIVATED!

Calling a 19-year-old with 0 NHL experience a 'definite future top 5 goalie' is ludicrous.

And exactly the same applies to Gudlevskis. He has been very inconsistent and has very limited pro experience. Only fanboys can be 'sure' that he will become an NHL starting goalie. No one knows that and it's all a guessing game at this point.
Did not say he's a "definite top 5 goalie" - said he definitely has the talent to be (not really a disputable fact) - and I'm confident he'll come over and make it to the NHL.

I haven't seen any other goaltender with his combination of size and athleticism. From my limited watchings, but what makes sense based on the fact he's young - he probably is a bit too active, and needs to work on letting the puck come to him. Then there will be some general form and technique to perfect - but he has the mental make up and the physical tools to be elite.

Old
04-20-2014, 07:40 AM
Caser

Well, there is a certain hype about Vasya, but c'mon - we're talking about one of the top prospects, it would be strange it there wouldn't be any. But I really can't see any signs of overhyping, again, at least not something that isn't common for discussing a top prospect (especially a top goalie prospect).

Caser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2014, 11:44 AM
Werewolf

Quote:
A bunch.

Juuse Saaros
Melvin Nyffeler
the already mentioned Ilya Sorokin
Ville Husso
Elvis Merzlikins
Daniel Dolejs

KHL is not comparable to NHL. It is comparable to SHL, NLA, SM-Liiga, etc. There are only a few KHL clubs (like SKA, CSKA, Salavat, AK Bars) with impressive budgets and almost NHL-tier rosters on paper, but your average KHL club is in no way in the same tier as NHL teams.

Medvescak, which is pretty much entirely made up of former AHL players, easily made the KHL play-offs. And it definitely helps your stats if you're playing in of the better teams.
None of the players you quote are even close to Vasilveski. This is a forum to discuss prospects...out of all the prospects IN THE WORLD Vasiveski is the top one. Huge reason for every Bolts fan to be excited. Drouin and Vasilevski are both #1 prospects at their respective positions...no reason at all not to get excited about them coming over to play in NA Pro leagues.

If you merely state the obvious - which is they haven't played in the NHL then you don't get the reason for being in a prospects forum which is to discuss the FUTURE prospects...which Vasilevski is by all expert accounts and scouts a top 10 prospect at any position and the top goalie prospect in the world. Saying a top 5 NHL goalie is not a stretch when he is ranked as the best player at his position against his contemporaries. Sure he hasn't played in the NHL but when compared to all his contemporaries Vasilevski is projected to be one of the best in the NHL.

Werewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2014, 12:26 PM
DFC

Any player can bust. That's not a reason not to hype them. Otherwise, why even rank prospects at all? You get excited about them, and then they live up to the hype or they let you down. That's the sport.

DFC is offline   Reply With Quote