HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Sciences
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sciences A place to discuss natural, applied & social sciences, along with any other academically-oriented topics of interest to membership.

Heavy marijuana use leads to poor memory and abnormal brain structure

Old
12-20-2013, 01:29 AM
MarkGio

vCash: 500
Opinions are fine and are welcome, but they have to made as clear opinion in the Science forum

Any claims to scientific evidence should be supported.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 01:30 AM
PredsV82
Polishing Turds

vCash: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
I disagree.

One or two blunts a day would probably reduce your blood pressure, relax you, possibly even help your lungs.

There are beneficial aspects to marijuana smoking, hence why it's legal medicinally.
you can disagree all you want but there is no way inhaled burning marijuana is a positive for the lungs. that study I'm sure you're about to link for me reveals a trivial difference in lung capacity but that doesn't negate the deleterious effects of the carcinogens you inhale

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ts-debate.html

Quote:
2. If you smoke marijuana, you’re inhaling 20 times as much ammonia as you would inhale by smoking the same amount of tobacco.
According to the study that yielded this stat, “The confirmation of the presence, in both mainstream and sidestream”—that is, directly inhaled and secondhand—“smoke of marijuana cigarettes of known carcinogens and other chemicals implicated in respiratory diseases is important.”

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 01:35 AM
DD03
3D

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
you can disagree all you want but there is no way inhaled burning marijuana is a positive for the lungs. that study I'm sure you're about to link for me reveals a trivial difference in lung capacity but that doesn't negate the deleterious effects of the carcinogens you inhale

http://healthland.time.com/2012/01/1...h-lung-damage/

Quote:
Marijuana does not impair lung function—at least not in the doses inhaled by the majority of users, according to the largest and longest study ever to consider the issue, which was published today in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

DD03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 01:39 AM
Kyle93

vCash: 420
Quote:

Thing is the article you used only talks about smoking marijuana, there are other ways to partake in it (vaporization, eating) that do not involve the process of it being smoked so it wouldn't have those bad health effects.

Kyle93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 01:40 AM
PredsV82
Polishing Turds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle93 View Post
Thing is the article you used only talks about smoking marijuana, there are other ways to partake in it (vaporization, eating) that do not involve the process of it being smoked so it wouldn't have those bad health effects.
I agree. I am only referring to smoking marijuana having a negative effect on the lungs

Old
12-20-2013, 01:40 AM
DD03
3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle93 View Post
This as well.

The article I linked talked about, smoking it in moderation showed actual positive effects on the lungs.

Old
12-20-2013, 01:45 AM
PredsV82
Polishing Turds

Quote:
again, it may not impair pulmonary function tests, but it still contains carcinogens, which is my point.

I would assume most marijuana smokers only smoke a couple of joints a day, if that much, and heavy smokers probably don't smoke more than 5

conversely, tobacco cigarette smokers typically take in 20-40 a day or more which I suspect is why they get the pulmonary function damage to a much greater extent than marijuana smokers

It would be interesting to see what would happen to the lungs of someone who smoked 20-40 joints a day, but I suspect that would be difficult to do without becoming nonfunctional

Old
12-20-2013, 01:47 AM
DD03
3D

Quote:
again, it may not impair pulmonary function tests, but it still contains carcinogens, which is my point.

I would assume most marijuana smokers only smoke a couple of joints a day, if that much, and heavy smokers probably don't smoke more than 5

conversely, tobacco cigarette smokers typically take in 20-40 a day or more which I suspect is why they get the pulmonary function damage to a much greater extent than marijuana smokers

It would be interesting to see what would happen to the lungs of someone who smoked 20-40 joints a day, but I suspect that would be difficult to do without becoming nonfunctional
20-40 would put you in another hemisphere

Old
12-20-2013, 01:54 AM
PredsV82
Polishing Turds

Quote:
exactly. so there is really no way to do an apples to apples comparison of marijuana smoking to cigarette smoking.

THC undoubtedly has some medical benefits, in selected diseases and conditions. That is not to be misconstrued as meaning that recreational use of marijuana is a risk-free proposition.

Digoxin is very helpful to people with certain heart disorders, but I certainly wouldn't advise taking it daily if there is nothing wrong with you

Old
12-20-2013, 01:57 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
Would it? I assume THC content can vary quite significantly between Cannabis strains. A weak "batch" can be heavily smoked and still provide a relatively insignificant psychedelic affect.

Old
12-20-2013, 02:02 AM
MarkGio

Keep in mind that the lab will be different than the street. Often illegal drug dealers will enhance the value, weight, and affect of narcotics, some of which may have negative health effects.

Old
12-20-2013, 02:11 AM
PredsV82
Polishing Turds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Would it? I assume THC content can vary quite significantly between Cannabis strains. A weak "batch" can be heavily smoked and still provide a relatively insignificant psychedelic affect.
well, at least until its legalized widespread, 20-40 a day would probably be financially impossible… and I would think if you had the cash to afford that much weed, you would be able to find some high quality stuff.

Old
12-20-2013, 02:39 AM
MarkGio

Quote:
well, at least until its legalized widespread, 20-40 a day would probably be financially impossible… and I would think if you had the cash to afford that much weed, you would be able to find some high quality stuff.
I said that because I've known individuals as a teenager that have smoked a lot, comparable to cigarettes even. They develop a tolerance, as well as not having access to the best strains.

I think you're right though. But that high quality stuff they find is no longer marijuana. It depends why they use and what psychological purpose it serves. A deeply conflicted individual will have no problem using a more cost effective substance that provides that needed escape from sobriety.

Old
12-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Bocephus86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
Realistically, it's probably a combination of all 3.

Personally, I find it helpful to repeat their name. For example, they say "Hello my name is John" and I'll parrot it back like "Nice to meet you, John" and that helps to remember names.
I'm going to try that out. Its quite difficult to pick up girls when you cannot remember their name 30 seconds after meeting them. Probably doesn't make them feel very good about themselves either.

I smoked a lot of pot from about age 15 - 19 (close to an 1/8th a day, through out the day, pretty much every day) and then a lot (but not as much) through out college until my senior year. It wasn't the high level headies out there today but it wasn't bad kind bud either. I stopped because I started getting incredibly paranoid and/or way to high and hated the feeling. Occasionally Ill still take a few puffs every now and then but usually only when I'm drunk then I regret it. I remember some counselor (I got in trouble in college for it) telling me that THC can attach itself to your synapses and, after prolonged use, can amplify the effects. No idea if that is what happened to me but either way its why I stopped.

Only lasting effect that it may have caused is short term memory with things like names. I have a great memory for facts and what not, I still learn very fast and have a borderline photographic memory. I wonder if I could have been super smart had the weed not broken my brain (hahah) and made me incredibly lazy during my formative years! On the flip side I wouldn't have all those hilarious (to me) stories or semi-******** friends that I love.

Bocephus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 12:07 PM
Buddio
CFC

well ****.

Buddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2013, 01:17 PM
Gobias Industries

I was going to post something here, but I can't remember what it was...

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 12:27 PM
jw2

so... don't stop smoking marijuana for 2 years. Got it.

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Mikeyg
Best in the World

I think that its pretty funny how the general population is so ignorant about the effects of recreational drugs

Mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 02:42 AM
Ace88*

Meh, everyone knows smokin dope kills your memory. that's not anything new. But the type of memory loss is never exactly clarified. It's mostly very short term memory loss, ie you were thinking something a minute ago but cant seem to remember where you were going with that thought.

I used to work in a car dealership selling cars. I sold a total of 19 cars while totally baked and not once did i forget any product knowledge, but god damn if i cant remember the specifics of each deal.

Also they tested derelict teenagers. Hardly a great test field for quantitative brain changes. Hell, coffee will change an undeveloped brain. This study seems to be a lot of bunk. Soon as the word decriminilzation appeared a red flag went up, i dont think this study was devoid of ulterior motives.

Ace88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 05:54 AM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 1000
Heavy use of anything usually has detrimental health effects, especially on young people. Shocking news.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 01:04 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
But people, like it or not, grow dependencies to it. No matter what age they start at.
Yup. People grow dependent on coffee as well. I have noticed it takes some pot heads longer to grow up if they ever do, though.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 01:19 PM
JWells16

Is this supposed to be new or shocking? I always assumed that this was common knowledge.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 06:16 PM
Hippasus

Cannabis smokers are persecuted relative to alcohol users even though the latter activity is a far more tangible social danger. It's stupid really.

Last edited by Hippasus: 12-28-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Hippasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 09:05 AM
Kyle Doobas*

vCash: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
Yup. People grow dependent on coffee as well. I have noticed it takes some pot heads longer to grow up if they ever do, though.
I think it's mostly just a case of it being more conducive to a lazier/laid-back lifestyle, and that frequent weed-smokers tend not to have ever really been 'go-getters' in the first place.

Kyle Doobas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 02:06 PM
invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippasus View Post
Cannabis smokers are persecuted relative to alcohol users even though the latter activity is a far more tangible social danger. It's stupid really.
I don't think persecution is appropriate in this context.

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote