HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

Canadian Hockey League to ban all Imports?

Old
07-19-2013, 07:08 PM
ottsabrefan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
Well said. I'd rather see another Yakupov fill a roster spot over a Canadian who would be a fringe OHL'er.
For sure, but this will also help the 'have-not' teams of the league rather than watching the Maata's and Zadorov's go to the London's and Kitchener's.

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 10:38 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
For sure, but this will also help the 'have-not' teams of the league rather than watching the Maata's and Zadorov's go to the London's and Kitchener's.
This is part of why it's imperative that there not be some rule forbidding the trading of import draft picks. That was a thing that came up too. Some poppycock about parity. The reality of this, is that small market teams with high import drafts will often trade down in the import draft, get some assets back from a bigger market team who can make use of the higher pick, and then rely on scouting to pick up a good player who will report.

Point is, any GM who's worth his salt will go out of his way to make sure that the player he's taking will report. So the Määttäs of the world (if he indicated that he would only go to London, if that's what you're implying) shouldn't be drafted by somebody else. The so-called 'have-not teams' have methods at their disposal as well, they just need to be a bit more cunning.

Anyway, the whole import 'controversy' all comes back to one of my big issues with hockey in Canada. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - the worst thing about hockey in Canada is Hockey Canada, and he fact that David Branch is their puppet.

Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2013, 10:40 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsfan67 View Post
I no and I hate the spits taking so many gambles on Americans who usually are up in the air if they want to come to the OHL or go the NCAA route
You hate your team for making shrewd moves in the hopes of putting themselves over the top? I think there are some banners in the WFCU Centre you need to lobby to have taken down...

Old
07-19-2013, 11:20 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy6 View Post
The vast majority of the top Euro players stay home anyway. This isn't a big deal, nor would it make a big difference either way.
Every Memorial Cup winner recently has had a key contributor that was an import.

Halifax-Frk
Shawinigan-Zlobin, Kabanov
Saint John-Galiev, Jurco
Windsor-Grubauer
Windsor-Loktionov
Spokane-Roman
Vancouver-Repik

Now those teams still might have won it all but if you take one key contributor off every team that's an import where would they get a north American player to replace that import?

RayzorIsDull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 12:45 AM
mk80

If the CHL goes through with this its thier loss, and a gain for the USHL/ NCAA

mk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 06:29 AM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoiseach View Post
This is part of why it's imperative that there not be some rule forbidding the trading of import draft picks. That was a thing that came up too. Some poppycock about parity. The reality of this, is that small market teams with high import drafts will often trade down in the import draft, get some assets back from a bigger market team who can make use of the higher pick, and then rely on scouting to pick up a good player who will report.

Point is, any GM who's worth his salt will go out of his way to make sure that the player he's taking will report. So the Määttäs of the world (if he indicated that he would only go to London, if that's what you're implying) shouldn't be drafted by somebody else. The so-called 'have-not teams' have methods at their disposal as well, they just need to be a bit more cunning.

Anyway, the whole import 'controversy' all comes back to one of my big issues with hockey in Canada. I've said it before, and I'll say it again - the worst thing about hockey in Canada is Hockey Canada, and he fact that David Branch is their puppet.
Even if you could trade down, you will only get so much from a 'have' team as they know you likely won't take that player that won't report. The 'have-not's will benefit from this rule (if applied), plain and simple as most often they don't recover the difference in quality from player A that would only report to a top money team to player B that would play anywhere.

This is not even mentioning the advantage of teams like London and QC who have 3 Euro's temporarily since two were 1st rounders, while teams like Kingston have to pass on their pick because they couldn't/wouldn't afford the top players.

ottsabrefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 10:04 AM
Spitsfan67*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoiseach View Post
You hate your team for making shrewd moves in the hopes of putting themselves over the top? I think there are some banners in the WFCU Centre you need to lobby to have taken down...
The Canadians on our Mem cup teams have made the difference not the americans(Hall,Ellis, Henrique, Wellwood, Mitchell, shrugg and so on), you win championships with canadians(look at all of the Stanley cup championships dominated by Canadian players)..

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 10:20 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

The USHL has restrictions as well. That said, I think it's the NCAA that will ultimately benefit if the CHL goes this route. The number of non Canadian foreigners playing college hockey is rising.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2013, 03:20 PM
mk80

Quote:
The Canadians on our Mem cup teams have made the difference not the americans(Hall,Ellis, Henrique, Wellwood, Mitchell, shrugg and so on), you win championships with canadians(look at all of the Stanley cup championships dominated by Canadian players)..
I could name a lot of Canadians that haven't been difference makers either... works both ways pal

Old
07-20-2013, 07:10 PM
BigBuck

If they are going to continue to have a "Draft" for these players then they should take the guess work out of it and supply a list of players that are willing to come play in the CHL. Not guys saying I'll come to The big money teams and get a lot up money to show up and not show up because the pooror teams can't afford to pay them to show up.

BigBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 12:59 AM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk80 View Post
I could name a lot of Canadians that haven't been difference makers either... works both ways pal
(side-note: Why, when people disagree, do they use the word "buddy" or "pal"?)

I think the point he was making was he's frustrated with Windsor not going after the Canadian guys, but instead taking the US players who may not report. Our titles were largely (though, not fully) built on Canadian talents like Hall, Henrique, Nemisz, Engelage, Ellis, etc. Thus, no need to take the titles down for the US/Cdn reason.

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 01:14 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk80 View Post
If the CHL goes through with this its thier loss, and a gain for the USHL/ NCAA
I'm not sure that's true. Most of the players coming over as imports in the CHL have already been paid for playing hockey overseas... Doesn't that make them ineligible for the NCAA? Pretty sure it does...

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 06:40 AM
ErieOttersNews
#NewEra

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
If they are going to continue to have a "Draft" for these players then they should take the guess work out of it and supply a list of players that are willing to come play in the CHL. Not guys saying I'll come to The big money teams and get a lot up money to show up and not show up because the pooror teams can't afford to pay them to show up.
No, that's dumb. No team is going to want to just blindly draft a player without scouting. It was fine the way it was before. Yeah it sucked to see teams like London scoop up the big imports but a smaller-market team could trade down, draft someone they knew would be report, and get some assets to boot. There was nothing wrong with that, it was more even than this new no trade rule has made it.

ErieOttersNews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2013, 09:30 PM
BigBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
No, that's dumb. No team is going to want to just blindly draft a player without scouting. It was fine the way it was before. Yeah it sucked to see teams like London scoop up the big imports but a smaller-market team could trade down, draft someone they knew would be report, and get some assets to boot. There was nothing wrong with that, it was more even than this new no trade rule has made it.
Why is it so dumb? Scout the players on the list of guys willing to come over not a blind draft as you say. Why should big market teams be able to negotiate big $$$$ deals with players to come over before they are drafted? Let the CHL negotiate all players releases from each country not each team then split the costs with the teams.

BigBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 08:24 AM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBuck View Post
Let the CHL negotiate all players releases from each country not each team then split the costs with the teams.
I'm on board with this on the condition that we have the three leagues acting separately. I want to promote QMJHL autonomy, not give the larger CHL more control.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know to what extent the CHL as a whole is accountable to the individual league boards of governors? There are a number of differences in the rules between the three leagues (e.g. we don't have the stupid trapezoid), and I'm wondering when leagues are permitted their autonomy, and when the CHL can impose these umbrella-league wide rules.

Old
07-23-2013, 08:58 AM
The Saw Is the Law

Taking away European players will hurt the level of CHL. How are they going to compensate that? Get rid of some teams?

If they don't cut the number of teams there will be more and more players who are too good for CHL, not enough for NHL and not AHL eligible.

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 09:56 AM
youngblood10

I tend to think that this is more about the cost involved with import players. Many teams I'm guessing don't see the cost to be worth the return. It's dollars and cents, cutting costs more than the players' place of birth. They can't have a draft that only a fraction of the teams take part in. For the sake of competitive balance they have to scrape the whole thing.

The realization that they have hit the ceiling in terms of revenue is upon us for the overwelming majority of teams in the CHL.

This isn't going to help any rival leagues in NA. The kids will just stay in thier home lands. They lose out on CHL cash but they keep their home grown talent.

youngblood10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 10:03 AM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law View Post
Taking away European players will hurt the level of CHL. How are they going to compensate that? Get rid of some teams?
Bear in mind that you'd have to get individual, independently owned franchises to agree to be contracted...

Quote:
If they don't cut the number of teams there will be more and more players who are too good for CHL, not enough for NHL and not AHL eligible.
Au contraire, there will be just as many guys who are too good for today's CHL, and a bunch of guys from Junior A/AAA. I suppose those guys who weren't up to scratch hitherto will reduce the talent level of the league, and there will be more 19 year olds who have outgrown the CHL though... It won't matter though, because a lot of the fringe AHL guys won't be AHL calibre anymore, thanks to not having the opportunity to play against the stiffest competition that they could. I don't think the current import situation is ideal (I have my own proposals to remedy the situation, i.e. six tags that you can use on imports or OAs (or both) as you please), but I was pretty okay with the rules as they were.

Either way, this should prove to be good for the Garrett Clarke league, and maybe the ECHL as more potential OAs may well go to some of these lower level pro leagues. It's all around bad for the (our) CHL.

Old
07-23-2013, 04:43 PM
Torgo

Quote:
Breaking the rules to get players too joining your team certainly helps too.

Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 08:13 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThreat View Post
Same old tiresome bit,all the players listed above were on the 1st championship team
The League has stated that the Spits violations occurred after the 1st mem cup win and never did say when they exactly occurred

hockeylegend11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2013, 11:01 PM
OHLTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThreat View Post

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2013, 12:51 PM
mk80

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
I'm not sure that's true. Most of the players coming over as imports in the CHL have already been paid for playing hockey overseas... Doesn't that make them ineligible for the NCAA? Pretty sure it does...
Well the Euopeans in NCAA hockey come over and play a year or two in the USHL or NAHL junior leagues then move on to thier respective colleges. Mainly what I was trying to say is that this by doing this we might see more European players come over play in the USHL/NAHL and move onto college hockey if the CHL bans imports as it would be thier only North American developement route.

But yes you are correct that Europeans recieving play are ineligible.

Old
07-25-2013, 01:50 PM
Whalers Fan
Go Habs!

A complete ban on imports could result in teams drafting more American players to fill those roster spots. So, it may not have the intended effect of opening up more spots for Canadians, but instead create more opportunities for U.S. players.

I thought banning import goalies was a bad idea, and this one isn't any better.

Whalers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote