HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

UFC on Fox 8: Johnson vs Moraga

Old
07-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Street Hawk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yada View Post
funny how so many came to rorys defense, my comment was mostly tongue in cheek. i do stand by the fact that his last 2 performances werent impressive.

his biggest fights against penn and now ellenburger just didnt impress me. ellenburger just stood there and all that macdonald did was jab him to death on occasion, if your opponent doesnt engage beat the **** out of him. set a damn record for strikes landed thats why i mention NICK diaz agaisnt penn. when penn was out of gas and standing there diaz just loaded up and punched his face in like he was hitting a bag, he didnt stand there nervous.
I will agree that Rory could have finished off Penn had he been more aggressive. Instead he opted to play it safe and continue to tag him with solid shots as opposed to finishing shots.

Against Jake, I'm not surprised he didn't engage more. He was winning the points battle. Jake didn't engage, so Rory picked him apart on points.

If you are Jake, and you're the guy with the better grappling and superior knockout power, you have to get in tight to get a take down or land the big shot. He never could figure out how to maneuver past MacDonald's jab to close the distance.

I said in my post, that this could be a prelude to what we see in the GSP/Hendricks fight. The differences between those 2 fighters is almost the same as those between Rory and Jake. Rory is more versatile, has the longer reach and uses the jab, and has excellent movement. GSP is the same way.

Jake is a former NCAA wrestler like Hendricks. Both have excellent knockout power. Both are shorter and have a shorter reach than the Tri-Star guys. Both would have needed to find a way to get past the stiff hard jab to close the distance.

Jake was a 1 trick pony. If Hendricks doesn't have more variety in his arsenal, he's going to get stifled as well.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 202
Rory definitely deserves some criticism for playing it safe but most of the criticism should go to Ellenberger. He did nothing in that fight. Even when he was down two rounds, he still didn't try to put pressure on Rory. Ellenberger has always been overrated and I laugh whenever someone says he could be a threat to GSP. Who has he beaten? Shields? Marquardt? For a guy who likes to run his mouth a lot, he doesn't have many big wins on his resume.

As for Hendricks, I think he is a bit of a one trick pony when it comes to his striking. Obviously that one trick is a bomb that can put anyone to sleep but he'll have to mix it up a lot to get close to GSP. But I don't think Hendricks will be afraid, he'll go after GSP.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 04:56 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Rory definitely deserves some criticism for playing it safe but most of the criticism should go to Ellenberger. He did nothing in that fight. Even when he was down two rounds, he still didn't try to put pressure on Rory. Ellenberger has always been overrated and I laugh whenever someone says he could be a threat to GSP. Who has he beaten? Shields? Marquardt? For a guy who likes to run his mouth a lot, he doesn't have many big wins on his resume.

As for Hendricks, I think he is a bit of a one trick pony when it comes to his striking. Obviously that one trick is a bomb that can put anyone to sleep but he'll have to mix it up a lot to get close to GSP. But I don't think Hendricks will be afraid, he'll go after GSP.
That's going to be the key for Hendricks. If he carbon copies Jake, he'll simply get jabbed to death by GSP.

Hendricks have to attack with a variety of striking combinations. Rory had a 3 inch reach advantage over Jake, but GSP will enjoy a 7 inch reach advantage over Hendricks. That is absolutely huge.

Hendricks will have to take more chances to close the gap. He's going to have to train against guys with long reaches to simulate getting jabbed and figuring out ways to get in close for a take down or a big time punch.

GSP isn't going out there with the mindset of stopping Hendricks. He's going in there to win the bout. Whether that is jabbing him and winning on points, with a take down and maintaining control doing some damage by not stopping him, or whatever.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 05:35 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
That's going to be the key for Hendricks. If he carbon copies Jake, he'll simply get jabbed to death by GSP.

Hendricks have to attack with a variety of striking combinations. Rory had a 3 inch reach advantage over Jake, but GSP will enjoy a 7 inch reach advantage over Hendricks. That is absolutely huge.

Hendricks will have to take more chances to close the gap. He's going to have to train against guys with long reaches to simulate getting jabbed and figuring out ways to get in close for a take down or a big time punch.

GSP isn't going out there with the mindset of stopping Hendricks. He's going in there to win the bout. Whether that is jabbing him and winning on points, with a take down and maintaining control doing some damage by not stopping him, or whatever.
Hendricks' wrestling/grappling will be very important as well. He's a very good wrestler but GSP has shown that he can take anyone down. If Hendricks gets too aggressive early and GSP puts him on his back, it might be a very long night for Hendricks (and the fans). He'll be struggling to get inside on GSP to begin with and if he starts worrying about getting taken down too, forget about it.

I didn't even know about the 7 inch reach advantage. I would have guessed 2-3 inches at most.

Old
07-28-2013, 07:53 PM
Kitten Mittons

GSP will jab the **** out of Hendricks. With their reach difference, unless they're start brawling, Hendricks will never get the chance to use the bomb.

GSP has straight up monkey arms. I thought I had long arms but he has 4 inches on me at the same height.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 11:49 PM
Peter Griffin

Just got back home from the fights, entertaining night aside from the MacDonald/Ellenberger fight which was arguably the most hyped up leading up to it. The boos were deafening in an arena that had a lot of empty seats. Not sure if they showed it on tv but after Danzig was knocked out he was really **** up for awhile after. At one point he tried to stand up and stumbled around the octagon with guys trying to hold him. Overall it was a good night of fights with some great finishes and subpar fights mixed in.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:14 AM
Kitten Mittons

I believe Dana said attendance was at around 8K. Pretty bad. I look at wiki and Munoz v. Weidman fight made 4K in San Jose. Wow.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:21 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
I believe Dana said attendance was at around 8K. Pretty bad. I look at wiki and Munoz v. Weidman fight made 4K in San Jose. Wow.
Yea, there were a lot of empty seats and scalpers were selling $250 floor seats for $100 before the event even started. I think it was a combination of the time of year(sunny July in a location that sees a lot of rain most of the year), other events going, it was Seafair celebration that day, and a lack of big name fighters and the fact that just 8 months prior Seattle had an even bigger FOX card that pulled solid numbers.

Old
07-29-2013, 12:27 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

vCash: 390
Send a message via Yahoo to yada
yikes lowest rated fox event as well neting 2.04 mil viewers

yada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:36 AM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

event ratings/millions viewing date
UFC on FOX 1: 5.7 11/12/11
UFC on FOX 2: 4.57 1/28/12
UFC on FOX 3: 2.25 5/5/12
UFC on FOX 4: 2.36 8/4/12
UFC on FOX 5: 3.41 12/8/12
UFC on FOX 6: 3.77 1/26/13
UFC on FOX 7: 3.3 4/20/13
UFC on FOX 8: 2.04 7/27/13

Old
07-29-2013, 01:59 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

The rating will probably go up once the final numbers are in but it'll still be the lowest one thus far. It's not too surprising though since there was no big name on the card, it's the summer, and there's no NFL to promote it. They stack the ones in the winter and promote them during NFL games.

Old
07-29-2013, 08:05 AM
jw2

vCash: 643
For me, just a horrible weekend to try to watch fights. So many festivals, birthdays, etc... haven't seen anything yet.

So... anyone have a link to the Herman-Smith fight?

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 10:21 AM
Captain_Cunney

The card was ok but they really should have tried to get some parity between this and the loaded fox sports 1 debut. That card is pretty loaded...

Rory playing it safe wasn't a huge surprise after reflection. The kid is very gsp'esque in his approach and not straying from the game plan. He cares less than Georges about the fan response so i doubt this will be the last performance like that.

Jake is to blame here, he did nothing when clearly down. If that was Jake shields everyone would be calling for his release. Talk **** then do absolutely nothing to back it up, well played.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 11:39 AM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
The card was ok but they really should have tried to get some parity between this and the loaded fox sports 1 debut. That card is pretty loaded...

Rory playing it safe wasn't a huge surprise after reflection. The kid is very gsp'esque in his approach and not straying from the game plan. He cares less than Georges about the fan response so i doubt this will be the last performance like that.

Jake is to blame here, he did nothing when clearly down. If that was Jake shields everyone would be calling for his release. Talk **** then do absolutely nothing to back it up, well played.
The difference between Ellenberger and Shields is that I have yet to see an exciting fight from Shields in the UFC.

Chris Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 12:22 PM
jw2

vCash: 643
I don't think either guy is known for being boring. I think the stakes were too high, neither wanted to make a dumb mistake and get caught... especially after all the pre-fight talk between the two.

jw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2013, 01:22 PM
m9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
The difference between Ellenberger and Shields is that I have yet to see an exciting fight from Shields in the UFC.
Ironically you're wrong on Shields, but only because Ellenberger made it exciting.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 06:05 AM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
yikes lowest rated fox event as well neting 2.04 mil viewers
If I remember correctly the rerun of Cops that followed the event beat it soundly. That's bad.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 10:09 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
And? It still changes nothing, ellenburger is getting too little blame here. He **** the bed, not much else to it.

Captain_Cunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 11:43 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney View Post
And? It still changes nothing, ellenburger is getting too little blame here. He **** the bed, not much else to it.
What was he supposed to do?

He was neutralized.

There was nothing he could do.

Disappointed Rory decided to mimic GSP, a fighter who has arguably become the most boring fighter in the UFC, Clay Guida notwithstanding.

I understand why he did it though. The win is more important than giving the fans a show and getting put to sleep. Dana's post fight comments prove once again that he is a huge slimeball with little/no regard for the well being of his talent.

They are objects, pieces of meat, nothing more.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2013, 04:34 PM
yada
move 2 dallas 4 work

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

They are objects, pieces of meat, nothing more.

Demetrious Johnson: $58,000 (includes $29,000 win bonus) def. John Moraga: $17,000

Rory MacDonald: $48,000 (includes $24,000 win bonus) def.
Jake Ellenberger: $52,000

Robbie Lawler: $156,000 (includes $78,000 win bonus) def. Bobby Voelker: $12,000

Liz Carmouche: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def.
Jessica Andrade: $8,000

Jorge Masvidal: $66,000 (includes $33,000 win bonus) def. Michael Chiesa: $15,000

Danny Castillo: $58,000 (includes $29,000 win bonus) def.
Tim Means: $12,000

Melvin Guillard: $84,000 (includes $42,000 win bonus) def. Mac Danzig: $30,000

Daron Cruickshank: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def.
Yves Edwards: $21,000

Ed Herman: $74,000 (includes $37,000 win bonus) def. Trevor Smith: $8,000

Germaine de Randamie: $18,000 (includes $9,000 win bonus) def.
Julie Kedzie: $9,000

Justin Salas: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus) def.
Aaron Riley: $14,000

Yaotzin Meza: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def.
John Albert: $10,000

cant wait til theres a fighters union. unless you fought for strikeforce or a handfull of ufc fighters they get paid ****. what id like to see is if you are fighting for a title theres a clause where you get base pay plus 100g title bonus. payout guys headlining cards. hope boston discloses salary cause itll be an expensive card

Old
07-31-2013, 10:13 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
what id like to see is if you are fighting for a title theres a clause where you get base pay plus 100g title bonus. payout guys headlining cards. hope boston discloses salary cause itll be an expensive card
Most fighters have clauses in their contracts where if they fight for a title they will receive a portion of PPV revenue. Not to mention they get paid more from sponsors and there are lots of discretionary bonuses the UFC gives fighters that aren't even announced. It's not all doom and gloom.

And I'm calling it now, there will never be a fighter's union.